• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanee

I just got back from the cinema and its nowhere near as bad as the trailers made it seem. It has some fun moments and I liked the build up in the first half of the movie. Hemsworth was probably the funniest person in the flick. A bunch of the slapstick stuff just fell flat for me and the cameos were poorly handled.

My two biggest complaints is that the main villain was just there, he never really came across as a threat and also the music was just not good, it didn't fit the overall tone of the movie at all.

Not bad but not great either. A 6.5/10 is probably around the right score for this movie. It doesn't really come close to the original two for me.

On a slightly concerning note. For every new release I've seen during the day time the viewing is always more than half full but there were only three of us watching it.

Nudull

Banned
I just got back from the cinema and its nowhere near as bad as the trailers made it seem. It has some fun moments and I liked the build up in the first half of the movie. Hemsworth was probably the funniest person in the flick. A bunch of the slapstick stuff just fell flat for me and the cameos were poorly handled.

My two biggest complaints is that the main villain was just there, he never really came across as a threat and also the music was just not good, it didn't fit the overall tone of the movie at all.

Not bad but not great either. A 6.5/10 is probably around the right score for this movie. It doesn't really come close to the original two for me.

On a slightly concerning note. For every new release I've seen during the day time the viewing is always more than half full but there were only three of us watching it.

How often do people go to matinees? There's always usually a handful or so people whenever I go see something during the day.

bryanee

How often do people go to matinees? There's always usually a handful or so people whenever I go see something during the day.

Matinees for new release's in the cinema I go to are usually half full. I was expecting at least a quarter of it to of been full. Not just three people including myself and my brother.

4/10 on imdb but modest scores on metacritic and rottentomatoes. What's going on?

No one uses IMDB user scores.

Is it safe to assume that this movie is not gonna change anyones mind who watched all the trailers and hated them? Cause i would like to see this for the novelty of it but i really dont wanna pay money for something mediocre.

Its a shame because the toys, food and merchandise resurgence for Ghostbusters is awesome cause none of it explicitly has to do with the reboot. The disrespect for Ghostbusters 2 is unreal by the way. Of course its not excellent like the 1st movie, its just good.

A number of reviewers seem to think it's better than 2. Depends on the person honestly, much like our discussion of Jurassic World vs. Lost World earlier in the thread.

Grisby

I'm gonna see it tonight. Hopefully it won't be as bad as the trailers made it out to be.
I'm excited actually. I thought the trailers were bad too, but the reviews seem positive.

I think I'm just as stoked seeing the Ghostbusters return. Loved the franchise as a kid (and now I suppose).

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm excited actually. I thought the trailers were bad too, but the reviews seem positive.

I think I'm just as stoked seeing the Ghostbusters return. Loved the franchise as a kid (and now I suppose).

Some fans in my audience had on Ghostbusters shirts. Was pretty awesome, and I was secretly jealous.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Well my fiancee bailed on tonight's showing so I'm debating whether I want to go see it by myself or wait for her to be available again.

Sucks when you've been hyped up for something all week and then it doesn't pan out in the end.

There's a really good article by Harold Ramis' daughter on Splitsider that I'll link below, but something Harold said in it caught my attention.

He was talking about who would star in a movie to pass the torch to, since he knew it would never be the 4 of them again, and the names he dropped for a new Ghostbusters team was:

Kal Penn, Chris Rock, Jack Black, and Maya Rudolph

And now I'm just weeping openly at the amazing Ramis written Ghostbusters that could have been starring those four.

That being said, the article is well worth your time to read.

http://splitsider.com/2016/07/on-my-dad-harold-ramis-and-passing-the-ghostbusters-torch-to-a-new-generation-of-fans/

Dai101

Banned
About to throw up the OT. Any ideas for the OT title? I'm drawing blanks and am in a hurry.

Ghostbusters 2016 |OT| Certified FRESH. You read that?

AjdjSoB.png

But average to me is something that isn't doing anything which will make it stand out for years to come, I mean I loved the new Star Wars movie, I still considered it average though, it wasn't groundbreaking in terms of the films quality and I very much doubt Ghostbusters is going to be either based on the trailers and the reviews I have read.

Also I believe it isn't going to be groundbreaking in terms of equality or even in political terms, you could argue Star Wars did more for equality in Hollywood than this movie ever could, Daisy Ridley as the lead, John Boyega as a lead both putting in amazing performances whilst staying true to the source material, ghostbusters right now is being held up as a tool for equality when it is anything but that.

Some people defending this movie call out those who have criticized it for being misogynists while the film itself is guilty of misandry. If you want to make one sex look good, you can't do it by making the other look bad, that's not how equality works, Star Wars didn't have to resort to this did it?

Even the positive reviews refer to it mostly as an average summer blockbuster, also I said I am personally going to reserve judgement until I have seen it so I am not part of that group of people claiming it is average, I expect it to be but I am certainly not claiming it is, if it is above average then my opinion will change on this matter.

This coming from a guy who hasn't even seen the movie and is going to reserve judgement except has no problem calling it misandrist? And wants to argue for an equality battle between Star Wars and Ghostbusters?

OfqZ8mC.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom