• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timu

It seems that most youtubers I see reviews on don't like this movie a whole lot, giving it ok and even bad scores. Is it this year's Jurassic World as in praised by critics but not praised as well by random reviewers and such? Or like Iron Man 2 which is also certified fresh but is bashed a lot by random people.

Do it. It's such a fun little action comedy with surprising amount of heart to boot. Not world shaking but a fun 90 min or so.

This pretty much. Doesn't set the world on fire, but it's a lot of good fun.

It seems that most youtubers I see reviews on don't like this movie a whole lot, giving it ok and even bad scores. Is it this year's Jurassic World as in praised by critics but not praised as well by random reviewers and such? Or like Iron Man 2 which is also certified fresh but is bashed a lot by random people.

Jurassic got the same kind of reviews, solid but not great. Generally people really liked it.

Haven't seen The Heat. I need to correct that mistake ASAP.

Do it. So fuckin' good, one of the ones I watch frequently. Kaitlin Olson is in it, too <3

I just got out of a screening and it was so bad that all the men got up to leave, but then got held hostage by the Vuvalini

I saw this like 3 days ago and I'm still dyin'

PS have you seen
the new Overwatch character Ana 'cause she's totes one of 'em

It got a ton of hate too by randoms. Some even prefer The Lost World and JP3 to it!!!

And I have nothing to say to those people.

Look, everything has people that like it and don't like it. Jurassic World is by no means some worldly hated movie. It's not even fucking close.

Timu

And I have nothing to say to those people.

Look, everything has people that like it and don't like it. Jurassic World is by no means some worldly hated movie. It's not even fucking close.
Ok, fair enough, that is true.

Well I hope this new Ghostbusters movie does well with the fans.

Well I hope this new Ghostbusters movie does well with the fans.

I'm just saying you can get online, on Youtube or wherever and find hate for anything. I know people online that hate the Lord of the Rings trilogy. That's above and beyond my head completely, something I could never work through logically, but it is what it is. It's pretty anecdotal too, nobody I know dislikes Jurassic World, but yeah you get online and you can find some hate for it. And some people may know people that dislike it.

Timu

I'm just saying you can get online, on Youtube or wherever and find hate for anything. I know people online that hate the Lord of the Rings trilogy. That's above and beyond my head completely, something I could never work through logically, but it is what it is. It's pretty anecdotal too, nobody I know dislikes Jurassic World, but yeah you get online and you can find some hate for it. And some people may know people that dislike it.
Those are crazy people(about Lord of the Rings).=p Yeah that makes sense, I got it now.

Melissa is like Kevin Hart to me where I'm not particularly fond of their loud obnoxious characters. But when she tones down in, say, Spy, I like her. No issues from what I've seen of her in Ghostbusters. Leslie Jones, though, is doing her thing and it's not to my taste.

IKizzLE

Just came back from it.
The first 75% of the movie actually had some funny moments but the end fizzles out. There was one pretty cool action sequence (you will all know when you see it) but outside of that, the ending parts of the movie were both long in the tooth and cringey.

Overall, its a decent film. Definitely not as bad as I thought it would be.

figured this movie would be good. too much talent involved. i have no interest in seeing it in theaters, but i'm extremely happy that it's being well received

are there any good schadenfreude threads out there? i don't really know where the MRA types hang out

BigRedOne

Can someone explain the Kate McKinnon appeal? She seems like if you took Amy Poehler and Stephanie Wier and removed what makes them funny and try to make her Hollywoods next big thing?

B33

Banned
figured this movie would be good. too much talent involved. i have no interest in seeing it in theaters, but i'm extremely happy that it's being well received

are there any good schadenfreude threads out there? i don't really know where the MRA types hang out

Just go on Reddit.

It got a ton of hate too by randoms. Some even prefer The Lost World and JP3 to it!!!

For just the Lost World? I am one of those people.

Jurassic World is a fine film, but it feels more like a monster movie with dinosaurs than a Jurassic Park film. I enjoyed it ultimately, but I put it and it's potential sequels in one bucket and JP and Lost World (up until the end!) in another.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Melissa is like Kevin Hart to me where I'm not particularly fond of their loud obnoxious characters. But when she tones down in, say, Spy, I like her. No issues from what I've seen of her in Ghostbusters. Leslie Jones, though, is doing her thing and it's not to my taste.

Eh, in the film itself Leslie Jones is hilarious. It's just when you remove the context of what she's doing, it seems grating.

For just the Lost World? I am one of those people.

Jurassic World is a fine film, but it feels more like a monster movie with dinosaurs than a Jurassic Park film. I enjoyed it ultimately, but I put it and it's potential sequels in one bucket and JP and Lost World (up until the end!) in another.

I thought they all felt like monster movies. The T-Rex breakout in of itself is 100% monster movie stuff.

I mean it's all over the top, you have Grant and Lex on a wire swinging around as it's pushing the car over the edge and a gag where it eats a dude off a commode.

They're action movies where the dinosaurs are treated like scary monsters, the Rex, raptors, even the dilophosaur, all of it.

Yukinari

Is it safe to assume that this movie is not gonna change anyones mind who watched all the trailers and hated them? Cause i would like to see this for the novelty of it but i really dont wanna pay money for something mediocre.

Its a shame because the toys, food and merchandise resurgence for Ghostbusters is awesome cause none of it explicitly has to do with the reboot. The disrespect for Ghostbusters 2 is unreal by the way. Of course its not excellent like the 1st movie, its just good.

Is it safe to assume that this movie is not gonna change anyones mind who watched all the trailers and hated them? Cause i would like to see this for the novelty of it but i really dont wanna pay money for something mediocre.

Its a shame because the toys, food and merchandise resurgence for Ghostbusters is awesome cause none of it explicitly has to do with the reboot. The disrespect for Ghostbusters 2 is unreal by the way. Of course its not excellent like the 1st movie, its just good.

No idea but the movie is getting much better reception than any of the trailers would have you believe.

DeathyBoy

Banned

I hated the trailers, loved the film.

I really do wonder whether they should of named this thing 'ghostbusters: the phantom menace' because it really does feel to me that there's still gonna be people whining about it in 17 years.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Gotta be honest, I am not even a fan of Ghostbuster and I do not particularly care about the franchise, but all the ruckus surrounding this movie made me want to see it.

Not the trailers. Not the names. Not the franchise. But really, just the ruckus.

Gotta be honest, I am not even a fan of Ghostbuster and I do not particularly care about the franchise, but all the ruckus surrounding this movie made me want to see it.

Not the trailers. Not the names. Not the franchise. But really, just the ruckus.

It's sort of genius, because the film doesn't make a big (meta) deal of the ruckus over their gender, it's everyone outside the film that has achieved making it a referendum on gender.

EGM1966

I hope this movie does well. Tired of nerds getting mad when people do different takes on classics.
Whatever "nerds" think isn't really what affects performance but nice generalization. The challenge with a remake of something like Ghostbusters is actually the casual film goer. They've seen the original, many at home on TV or Cable or whatever if they didn't even bother seeing it in cinema or weren't born then, and the new film has to justify what's good enough about it to be worth making a trip to the cinema to see for those more casual viewers.

The film was always going to get a certain audience due to director and cast (which is fine) the question is how much it appeals outside that and that will be down to can you be bothered to see a remake.

There's a reason remakes tend to do average business for the most part and its because a lot of people feel they already know the plot, etc from the original and can't be bothered to shell out.

LOOOL Andre's review is amazing

https://youtu.be/yCDl70hik6M

I think this video is what pretty much everyone is thinking about this whole thing.

Fascinating that the whole it not being in the same universe is what he took as the biggest issue. Literally he talks mostly positive except going on about it not being in the same universe

And that he used Star Trek as proof.

Because I had the exact opposite problem. JJ Trek had no need to be in the same universe as Prime Trek, like I mean come on JJ blew up Romulus with no intention of following that up other than to justify blowing up Vulcan. Old Spock added literally nothing to the film other than as a Vulcan Deus Ex Machina every now and then. The less we talk about the fucking Ice cave the better.

Trek should have been a clean break. There was no need to do anything in the Original Universe (it just made me want more of that instead). Especially since the writers had to literally explain that counter to how time travel was used in most of Trek that here all of a sudden it created a new universe and that no Prime wasn't altered. If you wanted to restart, then restart leave the old alone, if you don't want to do that then do something new in the universe and leave the old crew alone, don't do both.

That's why I'm totally cool with this being a reboot, especially because it allows the women to create and design, come up with the tech and business side ideas for themselves. They aren't being handed a license or merely just improving on tech designed by men three men or being mentored by three wise men who were there first,, they get to actually be the innovators, and the sole ones, in their own universe, they get to figure shit out for themselves, that's fucking cool.

There's no reason to make in the same universe, and spend time with a bunch of legacy characters that won't actually be part of the franchise going forward. Old Spock was dumb and so would have been the 3 remaining being there only to almost literally pass the torch. Clean breaks is what I say.

I agree though great review, Andre is awesome. Some of the comments are of the delicious this movie is Misandry silliness, which at this point is just funny, especially when people reply with thank god someone said it or best post or whatever.

Also not on Adnre but inspired by it, if anyone's problem with this movie is Sony trying to sell merch and licensed products.... I have some bad news for you about the OG GB

Also from the comments lol @ this movie needs to fail or otherwise Back to the Future is next. A) Not while Zemeckis is around B) So what? Fuck the more people talk about how terrifying a BTTF remake would be the more i'm interested, would they visit 1985 as their main past, or depending on when it's made even later? There's so much you could do, could it suck sure, but hey BTTF II was a major drop in quality from I and III even more so (funny enough this GB movie has a better RT score than either 2 or 3) so who knows what could come out of it.

Nah, we should refrain from twisting my quotes completely out of context.

The context being arbitrary applications of when having female leads is a politicised message? I'm actually kind of disappointed it seems like Paul Feig didn't double down on gender and exclusion since they seem like thematic lines that vibe well with the original Ghostbusters.

I think the point Brandon is trying to make is (and correct me if I am wrong Brandon) there are far better means to fight injustice than a AAA Hollywood movie.

Sounds like a pretty good medium to me tbh. I don't really care about Sony's bottom line.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Yeah, BTTF could be rebooted with ease every thirty years. Kid today going back to the the 80s opens up a vastly different tone than an 80s kid going back to the 50s.

DeathyBoy

Banned
neither of these movies are going to go down in history as some of the best movies ever made are they?

I wouldn't say it is, but I'm beyond tired of people discussing quality of this film or the tone of it then admitting they haven't even seen it

If you're writing multi paragraph replies in an Internet forum saying a film is average before you've seen it, you've ducked up.

Rlan

Saw the new Ghostbusters. It was ok. Really didn't like Chris Hemsworth's character at all. Liked Kate McKinnon's character.

Cinema was half empty on opening night. Take that for what you will.

Famassu

I think the point Brandon is trying to make is (and correct me if I am wrong Brandon) there are far better means to fight injustice than a AAA Hollywood movie.
If that is his point, then that's fucking dumb. So, what, we should just let big budget Hollywood movies continue in their often sexist, racist, bigoted, inequal ways? Ummm how about no? Injustices need to be fought at every possible level.

Saw the new Ghostbusters. It was ok. Really didn't like Chris Hemsworth's character at all. Liked Kate McKinnon's character.

Cinema was half empty on opening night. Take that for what you will.

It cracks me up when people criticize the women in this film, while somehow ignoring the presence of a crappy actor like Chris Hamsworth.

Sojgat

Disclaimer: I loved Spy, think female Ghostbusters is an awesome idea, and went into this movie with a generally positive outlook despite the bad trailers.

This movie is terrible.

Most of the jokes don't land, the fluorescent ghost aesthetic is tacky, the barrage of cameos are cringe-inducing, the villain sucks, and too much of the movie just feels like wrongheaded pushback against the initial negative fan response. Pretty much the only thing that works is Hemsworth's himbo character.

If its true that the villain of this movie is the garbage people say it takes a big dive for me.

Gozer and Vigo the Carpathian were great and scary villains while this movie sounds like it has Jamie Foxx from Spiderman 2 in it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I saw it last night and it was a lot of fun. The entire theater was laughing nearly the entire movie, despite some parts/lines being pretty cheesy/obvious. I'd watch a second.

If its true that the villain of this movie is the garbage people say it takes a big dive for me.

Gozer and Vigo the Carpathian were great and scary villains while this movie sounds like it has Jamie Foxx from Spiderman 2 in it.

The villain was not the high point of the movie, haha. That part was disappointing.

The villain is nowhere close to as good or as scary as Vigo, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom