• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothar

Banned
I hate Mccarthy...but love Wiig( she is easily one of the funniest people on the planet). So ill be seeing it for her.

For people who have seen it do they have the chemistry as they did in Bridesmaids(loved) Or is this a "Tammy"?

Also holy shit the original Ghostbusters has a 97% fresh rating. This movie never had a chance to live up to it.

According to the MTV reviewer a few pages ago talking about manbabies, the original is not that good though.

I think critics should just talk about the movie and not the backlash. And Travers is considered a top critic. The more critics attack the attackers... I mean, it isn't productive and reviews especially from "prestigious" reviewers shouldn't waste any review space mentioning it.

The backlash is literally as much part of this movie as the movie is at this point.

This has been a borderline cultural watershed moment in terms of sexism and geek culture.

Pretending it hasn't been a major thing since day zero is more insulting than taking time to address it even curtly.

Dalek

Collider was pretty clear. If a person was in this film and they were not one of the four stars, they were portrayed as imbeciles. Sex had nothing to do with it. They were all idiots.

Now that I think about it-that's kind of how the original movie is too, with the exception of Dana.

Pretending it hasn't been a major thing since day zero is more insulting than taking time to address it even curtly.

Don't really agree, but that's okay. Doing a review without mentioning the backlash isn't pretending that it wasn't a thing. It would just mean the critic was too busy criticizing the actual film.

You have to admit that for some reason this damn movie has done some strange things to the internet. Especially ever since James Rolfe's stupid "Not gonna ever see it out of spite!" eXclamation that just set people off.

However, I forgot to mention one other awesome video from Brad Jones that was in response to James's video:
Brad Refuses to Review an Upcoming Remake

It was already hilarious from the start but that end line was killer!

I'm a ways into the DP/30 interview with Paul Feig, which has been great so far. For the uninitiated, they do ~30 minute interviews with no cuts, just a long conversation.

Spoiler free, so far it's been about the creative process of approaching the film, given all the potential pitfalls.

The usual GB mob of manchildren are down voting it, of course.

Did not know this was a thing. Thanks!

Judging from that Kate McKinnon was the first cast and that probably feeds into her character being the most loved in the film.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Has any movie ever had this many no-score reviews?

Has any movie ever had this many no-score reviews?

A ton? From the first page, Mashable, Hollywood Reporter, Variety, The Daily Beast, Polygon (film), Village Voice, Uproxx, BirthMoviesDeath, New York Times, TIME, and Forbes don't have review scores. Ever. That's not abnormal or specific to Ghostbusters.

Outlets with scores gave scores. Those without them, didn't.

For example, here's Independence Day on Metacritic. There's score sfor everyone, but many of the reviews if you actually click on them... don't really have scores. MC just guesses what their score would be, or the critic is allow to tell MC what it would have been.

The backlash is literally as much part of this movie as the movie is at this point.

This has been a borderline cultural watershed moment in terms of sexism and geek culture.

Yup.

Let's ignore Gamergate because it's icky.

The levels of salt on every forum I've been on are astronomical.

Rotten Tomatoes forums are like Utah right now.

I'm pretty sure IMDB is could double as a Morton cannister right now.

Twitter is... wow

This movie is by FAR the most polarizing film I have seen in so long

Can't wait to see it

I can't stand the guy, but Tom Rothman has a point when he says the uproar is a good thing, financially. It's a popular thing and curiosity will get the better out of plenty of people.

I've been to forums that aren't about movies or Ghostbusters in particular where someone started a thread out of the blue with "Ghostbusters is certified fresh!" and there is just a deluge of salt and rage in response.

Bronson where's your review?

I skipped the early screenings because I hate women

and/or (probably or) it was too far from me/busy with work

I can't stand the guy, but Tom Rothman has a point when he says the uproar is a good thing, financially. It's a popular thing and curiosity will get the better out of plenty of people.

It helped Fury Road a bit when people started bitching about Furiosa, IIRC

Especially now that the reviews are painting what is essentially a completely different narrative than what many expected. The reviews aren't what I'd call GREAT, like Jurassic World, but like that film a lot of people seemed to have mostly enjoyed it and critics aren't being harsh on it in general.

devilhawk

I'd wager that the vast majority of ghostbusters moviegoers have no idea what you are talking about. I don't think it is even close, in fact.

I laugh at the idea of parents and their children having watched Angry Video Nerd and cruising several subreddits.

Nudull

Banned
The levels of salt on every forum I've been on are astronomical.

Rotten Tomatoes forums are like Utah right now.

I'm pretty sure IMDB is could double as a Morton cannister right now.

Twitter is... wow

This movie is by FAR the most polarizing film I have seen in so long

Can't wait to see it

Sad part is that they're still using the Top Critics rhetoric.

I mean I get it, but people should just go watch a movie if they're interested in it and decide themselves

Rotten Tomatoes has some really stupid rankings in it

I mean I get it, but people should just go watch a movie if they're interested in it and decide themselves

People have various reasons, all mostly valid in some way. A lot of people don't want to have to drive out and pay for a movie they may not like, so they look to trailers, impressions, and yeah, RT.

If I'm interested in something and it gets like super panned and everyone hates it, I may hold out. There are exceptions, like with Independence Day 2 where I simply didn't give a shit being a big fan and waiting so long. And I enjoyed it, despite the fact that I'd never defend its quality.

That's how I am about this. If this had an Uwe Boll RT, I'd still go see it as I'm a fan and the chance that I'd enjoy myself or have a different opinion. I thought the first teaser was awful, I even lashed out on it on GAF, but said that I'd wait for more trailers before passing too much judgment as trailers can be deceptive either way.

I ended up liking the second trailer a hell of a lot more, and the reviews are solid, so here we are.

Ponn

Banned

I agree that the backlash has been telling and horrible. It's also very odd to see the disconnect between normal/casual internet users and the usual forum-goers. I mentioned the enormous hate this movie has gotten to both my mom and sister and they were oblivious to it all. I also mentioned the internet hates Melissa Mccarthy and my moms response was "What?! Why do people hate her? What did she do to anybody?" And she was almost in tears. It's weird when you step back from the internet once in awhile.

I agree that the backlash has been telling and horrible. It's also very odd to see the disconnect between normal/casual internet users and the usual forum-goers. I mentioned the enormous hate this movie has gotten to both my mom and sister and they were oblivious to it all. I also mentioned the internet hates Melissa Mccarthy and my moms response was "What?! Why do people hate her? What did she do to anybody?" And she was almost in tears. It's weird when you step back from the internet once in awhile.

Everyone I talk to loves Melissa. After seeing Spy and The Heat, I'm more of a fan of hers myself. Her performances are honestly crazy good relative to what she's doing. There were scenes in The Heat that had me absolutely dying and a lot of it felt like improv, which I have to give her mad kudos for because that's difficult and the mark of a legit comedic talent.

I refuse to believe that Katie Dippold wrote that entire "anyone seen the captain's balls?" scene on page line for line.

Another thing is that I've seen people bash her by saying "I can't believe someone thought they could cast Melissa McCarthy in Ghostbusters and it be automatically funny." The problem with that busted as fuck logic is that this is an ensemble picture that Melissa is not carrying on her shoulders.

Nudull

Banned
Everyone I talk to loves Melissa. After seeing Spy and The Heat, I'm more of a fan of hers myself. Her performances are honestly crazy good relative to what she's doing. There were scenes in The Heat that had me absolutely dying and a lot of it felt like improv, which I have to give her mad kudos for because that's difficult and the mark of a legit comedic talent.

I refuse to believe that Katie Dippold wrote that entire "anyone seen the captain's balls?" scene on page line for line.

I've been meaning to see The Heat. Despite some issues I've had with the writing, I really liked Spy.

I've been meaning to see The Heat. Despite some issues I've had with the writing, I really liked Spy.

I'd been a little skeptical about Dippold writing this, but her work on Parks is very good, and her script for The Heat which she wrote solo is very well rounded, funny and developed with great character interaction. Regardless of what one may think of the movie overall, the writing and structure is very sound and enjoyable.

I found myself actually caring about Bullock and McCarthy in that because beyond the crude humor, it has a heart.

I'd been a little skeptical about Dippold writing this, but her work on Parks is very good, and her script for The Heat which she wrote solo is very well rounded, funny and developed with great character interaction. Regardless of what one may think of the movie overall, the writing and structure is very sound and enjoyable.

I found myself actually caring about Bullock and McCarthy in that because beyond the crude humor, it has a heart.
Tons of heart. It is an excellent comedy that doesn't get the praise I feel it deserves.

Dalek

Another thing is that I've seen people bash her by saying "I can't believe someone thought they could cast Melissa McCarthy in Ghostbusters and it be automatically funny." The problem with that busted as fuck logic is that this is an ensemble picture that Melissa is not carrying on her shoulders.

After I heard her interviews on Howard Stern, I really began to like her. She's very humble, hard working and genuine.

Tons of heart. It is an excellent comedy that doesn't get the praise I feel it deserves.

It's all on the nose, but nothing wrong with that. I loved their relationship and I hope Feig does the sequel next, which he and Dippold said was going to involve a serial killer and feel a bit darker.

I would also like to mention that the trailers for that movie and Spy made me vow I'd never watch either.

A lot of the McCarthy haters say it's because her whole schtick is that she's fat and falls down a lot, which I don't even think is close to the truth at all. She's a really great comedic actress. I saw The Boss when it came out and it wasn't a good movie by any means but she was actually putting effort into her character and even though the script was giving her nothing, she managed to make some lines funny thanks solely to her delivery. And I don't think she fell down at all.

Nudull

Banned
It's all on the nose, but nothing wrong with that. I loved their relationship and I hope Feig does the sequel next, which he and Dippold said was going to involve a serial killer and feel a bit darker.

I would also like to mention that the trailers for that movie and Spy made me vow I'd never watch either.

So, moral of the story; never trust Paul Feig trailers.

I hate to break it to you but Bullock doesn't want to do Heat 2 so it's never gonna happen. Feig talked about it in a recent Ghostbusters interview. He got the itch to do a horror comedy while writing The Heat 2 and then Bullock said no and he and Kate were just like "oh uh well shoot" and then Ghostbusters came along.

A lot of the McCarthy haters say it's because her whole schtick is that she's fat and falls down a lot, which I don't even think is close to the truth at all. She's a really great comedic actress. I saw The Boss when it came out and it wasn't a good movie by any means but she was actually putting effort into her character and even though the script was giving her nothing, she managed to make some lines funny thanks solely to her delivery. And I don't think she fell down at all.

This does happen at times in her roles, but it's not the only point of her humor and she's doing what she's being told to do. I think most of these people are using it as a weapon because it's what they see in the trailers, and I'll be completely forward and admit that I used to be one of them.

What happened was that I ended up actually watching the fucking movies. And I still stand by my opinion of Bridesmaids; I can see how certain people would like it, but it was not for me. It's way more of a chick flick than The Heat or Spy, both of which I enjoyed a lot more. I watched it right after Paul was confirmed to be doing Ghostbusters. It wasn't a great first impression, but the reviews were great and on a technical level it was directed very well.

Back to Melissa though, yeah. She's good, but I think there's this preconceived notion from some about her work, when there's a bit more to it than they realize.

User1608

Banned
Watched the Heat today for the first time today and it was fucking hilarious. I have complete faith in Feig for the new movie now.

Melissa McCarthy has won me over too.

Dai101

Banned
VPNo55m.jpg

I'm seeing it tomorrow I can't fucking wait

I hate you!!!! Nah, J/K. have a blast. We have to wait until aug. 12 ...... Time to pay for all the MAHVEL movies premiering here first i guess.

So, moral of the story; never trust sony pictures trailers.

FTFY

I'm hoping it has a strong OW. I guess we won't get an inkling of that until the projections come in on Friday morning.

How's it doing in the UK as far as their metric goes? Does anyone know?

Watched the Heat today for the first time today and it was fucking hilarious. I have complete faith in Feig for the new movie now.

Melissa McCarthy has won me over too.

It's very cool. So funny. Loved the little details like the ticking grenade, the weeks old sandwich... just a solid and thorough script and Feig is an excellent director.

Also, while I usually don't do this sorta thing as it makes me feel lame for some reason, but Sandra was absolutely gorgeous in the movie. Like more so than usual.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Just got out of seeing it...

It's a 6/10 for me. I'm a die hard GB fan, the original is my favorite movie of all time, I have a full movie accurate GB uniform with Proton Pack and all the toys/memorabilia so maybe my review is a bit biased, take it for what it's worth.

It just felt like there was no reason to make this movie. Nothing in it was really new or improved upon from the original. This has to have one of the worst "villains" I've seen in a movie in quite a while. The villain plot is lazy, not funny, and doesn't make any sense. Maybe they cut some stuff out? I had no problems with any of the actors, they were all serviceable for what they were given, but it felt like a lot of scenes were just "bits" and not real like in the original. Passage of time was very hard to tell due to how fast Holtzman was able to make new gear so quickly and how some of the events happen. Few of the cameos weren't great and could've been left out, but others did click. The logic of the Proton streams and how they 'busted" ghosts was all over the place and never had clear explanations (again, might've been cut). It's not a bad movie, it's slick and well made (wish I saw it in 3D), but it just doesn't have that charm the original one did or the fun. Nothing feels like it's going to stick around for another 30 years and this will be lumped in with all the other summer movies until the sequel comes out to remind us that this one exists.

Which reminds me ... I heard it has 2 marvel style ... is that true ?
There's a lot of mid credits scenes then one real stinger after the credits are over.

User1608

Banned
It's very cool. So funny. Loved the little details like the ticking grenade, the weeks old sandwich... just a solid and thorough script and Feig is an excellent director.

Also, while I usually don't do this sorta thing as it makes me feel lame for some reason, but Sandra was absolutely gorgeous in the movie. Like more so than usual.
Yeah, I loved all that too. Melissa killed it with her character.

The knife and surgery scenes though. Barf lol. And personally, the cat scene at the end was funny.
I watched the unrated cut btw.

She played off very well with Sandra Bullock too who happens to be one of my favorite actors. Just a really funny, crass movie all-around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom