• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
mxM6eH7.jpg

Megasoum

Banned
Dude Is About Punctuation Writting In CAPS For Every Single Word Takes More Time To Do Than Actually Checking Dots

Anthony Burch is also the dude who wrote Borderlands which is heavily influenced by memes and reddit crap...that's how I understood the tweet anyway.

BearChair

I literally and figuratively have no f-ing clue what either of them are talking about and don't understand the "burn" at all...

Not sure what game Burch is referring to, but he was one of the writers on Borderlands 2. He is bemoaning the fact that a game that uses a cliche like "What have I become?" is being nominated for a BAFTA (a British arts award like the grammys, emmys and oscars rolled up).

Ryan is replying that at least whatever game it is did not mine its humor from Reddit and Internet memes, which much of the humor from Borderlands 2 came from.

Ryan is basically saying it is better to steal an old trope than rip off a bunch of memes that are a few months old.

Edit: So just looked it up, here were the games nominated in the "Story in 2013" category in Bafta's games competition: The Walking Dead (Winner), Dishonored, Journey, Mass Effect 3, Thomas was Alone, Far Cry 3. Burch was referring to Far Cry 3 in his original tweet.

Borderlands 2 was nominated in four categories.

Here are all the nominees, categories and winners : http://awards.bafta.org/award/2013/games

Anthony Burch is also the dude who wrote Borderlands which is heavily influenced by memes and reddit crap...that's how I understood the tweet anyway.

Borderlands 2, actually. Yeah, I also got that, complaining about writting when you do some of the sme mistakes (as I suppose memes and reddit were intentional but...)

I like Borderlands 2, and is a step up of the first game, but it was not the top of original comedy. Even if didn't tried to be that... Well...

Not sure what game Burch is referring to, but he was one of the writers on Borderlands 2. He is bemoaning the fact that a game that uses a cliche like "What have I become?" is being nominated for a BAFTA (a British arts award like the grammys, emmys and oscars rolled up).

least whatever game it is did not mine its humor from Reddit and Internet memes, which much of the humor from Borderlands 2 came from.

Ryan is basically saying it is better to steal an old trope than rip off a bunch of memes that are a few months old.

And I agree with Ryan, even If I always appreciated Burch opinions about writting in Videogames.

I'm trying to decide if I should reup or not. I thought I had turned renew off but I got pinged today asking for new credit card info as my subscription had run out. I kinda don't want to.

Aaron

I'm trying to decide if I should reup or not. I thought I had turned renew off but I got pinged today asking for new credit card info as my subscription had run out. I kinda don't want to.
Same thing happened to me, and I felt the same. Subscriber stuff has been a little thin lately, but I resubbed anyway because I am an optimist.

FStop7

Banned
Have you seen Load Our Last Souls?

I'm gonna be honest, LoLS kind of sucked. I thought it was going to be Vinny playing Dark Souls. Not Vinny doing what Ian tells him to or Vinny doing things on his own with Ian knowingly laughing in anticipation of things that are about to happen.

It was pretty clear that Ian's played Dark Souls so many times that this might as well have been a Quicklook EX.

Curufinwe

Well I thought it was great. If you want to watch a guy fumble around in a game he hasn't played in months with no one to point him in the right direction there's always Bradley May Cry.

FStop7

Banned
I've never played Dark Souls, yet I could tell that stuff was going to happen at several points because of Ian. It's not really his fault, I don't think he realized how much was telegraphing to the viewers.

popo

I've never played Dark Souls, yet I could tell that stuff was going to happen at several points because of Ian. It's not really his fault, I don't think he realized how much was telegraphing to the viewers.

I think it was his first timed mic'ed up, I am sure he will improve if they do more in the series.

skybald

My commute is so long I can get through a whole bombcast in two days when it used to take me a week. Time to go digging through the archives and start from the beginning.

komplanen

For a couple of days I've been wanting to write about my feelings about the past year and the future of GB but I never get anything intelligent to come out when I try to post something here. Anything I write makes me sound like the next sentence could just as well be about chem trails or lizard people so I never do it. However I kinda figured I'd just post a drive-by brain dump without backing it up with anything other than perhaps that it's a gut feeling.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think there will be a GB in a year from now. In fact a year sounds like a little too long. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a wiki and quick looks and live shows but I don't think it'll be under GB or under CBSi. Wouldn't even be surprised if some of the guys split (Patrick taking a head start?) or old acquaintances make a return (Dave leaving ahead to code a new site?). Sounds super crazy conspiracy bullshit but like I said, it's really just a gut feeling.

Pic related:
Conspiracy-theorist-tin-foil-hat-426x188.jpg

Patryn

For a couple of days I've been wanting to write about my feelings about the past year and the future of GB but I never get anything intelligent to come out when I try to post something here. Anything I write makes me sound like the next sentence could just as well be about chem trails or lizard people so I never do it. However I kinda figured I'd just post a drive-by brain dump without backing it up with anything other than perhaps that it's a gut feeling.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think there will be a GB in a year from now. In fact a year sounds like a little too long. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a wiki and quick looks and live shows but I don't think it'll be under GB or under CBSi. Wouldn't even be surprised if some of the guys split (Patrick taking a head start?) or old acquaintances make a return (Dave leaving ahead to code a new site?). Sounds super crazy but like I said, it's really just a gut feeling.

You're being paranoid.

Dave did not leave to make a new site. He's started a new company that made a CM system for creating web sites, similar to (ironically) Square space.

If Patrick was going to leave, it would be when he moved. Since then, he's been generating nearly as much content as he always has been.

smr00

Banned

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think there will be a GB in a year from now. In fact a year sounds like a little too long. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a wiki and quick looks and live shows but I don't think it'll be under GB or under CBSi. Wouldn't even be surprised if some of the guys split (Patrick taking a head start?) or old acquaintances make a return (Dave leaving ahead to code a new site?). Sounds super crazy conspiracy bullshit but like I said, it's really just a gut feeling.

Pic related:
Conspiracy-theorist-tin-foil-hat-426x188.jpg
Every new thread someone will post ridiculous predictions.

Not happening.

komplanen

You're being paranoid.

Dave did not leave to make a new site. He's started a new company that made a CM system for creating web sites, similar to (ironically) Square space.

If Patrick was going to leave, it would be when he moved. Since then, he's been generating nearly as much content as he always has been.

Why would the Lizard People tell you the truth?

komplanen

Didn't he say he left because he said he wanted to start a family, and it is expensive as hell in the SF area and would have been harder to save, hence him moving back with his mom?

Or he has a new job lined up in where ever imaginary land he told us he left for. Now he's just waiting for Jeff to pull the plug and start making games or that new site I was talking about. Just saying. I actually always loved them joining CBSi but clearly they don't. Or they do and that's just what the are fraid of -_-

MNC

Awesome OT. Time to watch some latest new videos! What's that vinny chin/tongue/scratching thng from?

stktt

Banned
^Last week's Unprofessional Friday

Didn't he say he left because he said he wanted to start a family, and it is expensive as hell in the SF area and would have been harder to save, hence him moving back with his mom?

Yes, but that was probably because he couldn't bring himself to tell Jeff the truth about his eventual move to Kotaku.

Patryn

Or he has a new job lined up in where ever imaginary land he told us he left for. Now he's just waiting for Jeff to pull the plug and start making games or that new site I was talking about. Just saying. I actually always loved them joining CBSi but clearly they don't. Or they do and that's just what the are fraid of -_-

If you want unstated reasons, I'd be more likely to guess that it may be that his dad passed away and he wants to be closer to his mom to help out.

And what new site? Again, we already know what Dave is doing, and it's not making a new gaming site.

Remember: Whiskey going down surprised everybody. They kept that shit mostly close to the chest. Hell, people didn't even know that Whiskey had gotten rid of their offices and packed up until they announced the company was shutting down, and that was a week later. If GB does fold up shop, it'll be when we don't expect it, not at a time where they're complaining about CBSi HR policies and the like.

Jeff has said that site hits are actually increasing. There's now advertising on the Bombcast. If anything, the site is becoming more valuable and not about to be shut down.

I'm not gonna link it, but @GiantBombSquad a few days back posted a picture of some girl wearing nothing but two little cut-outs of Brad Shoemaker's face on her nipples

what

G-Pink

I'm not gonna link it, but @GiantBombSquad a few days back posted a picture of some girl wearing nothing but two little cut-outs of Brad Shoemaker's face on her nipples

what

EVERYTHING is someone's cup of tea.

You think about that. Don't stop thinking about it.

komplanen

If you want unstated reasons, I'd be more likely to guess that it may be that his dad passed away and he wants to be closer to his mom to help out.

And what new site? Again, we already know what Dave is doing, and it's not making a new gaming site.

Remember: Whiskey going down surprised everybody. They kept that shit mostly close to the chest. Hell, people didn't even know that Whiskey had gotten rid of their offices and packed up until they announced the company was shutting down, and that was a week later. If GB does fold up shop, it'll be when we don't expect it, not at a time where they're complaining about CBSi HR policies and the like.

You said it bro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom