• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Galaxy Quest was great.

Here's my pitch for a sequel: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=846890&highlight=

I have refined it since. This is my most recent rendition of it.

Essentially, years have passed since the continuation of Galaxy Quest. It ran for about 4 or 5 years and had its series finale. Enough years have passed when the studio behind the show decided it was time to reboot the franchise as a movie series with a young cast portraying the same characters. Across the gulf of space, unbeknownst to everyone, a group of radical Thermians (the species from the first movie) are trying to find the rest of their species. They were imprisoned due to an intense worship of the "historical documents". Think of them as religious extremists. We discover that Saris decimated their home planet, so my idea was that this group was ruthlessly left behind in their prison cells while the planet was being ravaged. They were presumed to have died in the assault. While trying to find the rest of their species in revenge of their treatment, they eventually find their way to Earth, where they see the new movie series being advertised. They are enraged (they're essentially hard core fans of Star Trek that will never accept the new cast). They believe that the original crew has been kidnapped and replaced through imitation by this "evil" new cast. They successfully kidnap the new cast and bring them into space. When the new cast tries to explain things to the aliens, the aliens believe they are lying and threaten them with death. Eventually the news somehow reaches the old cast. Fred's (Tony Shaloub's character) alien girlfriend Laliari recognizes the aliens and calls upon the other aliens of her species to come to Earth to help rescue the new cast. The old cast, along with the aliens from the first movie, work together again in an attempt to save the new cast. I'm still unsure how it should end, if the aliens can be reasoned with and shown that Galaxy Quest has never been real, essentially destroying all they believe in or if they become so violent they are beyond saving and must be defeated at all costs. I'm leaning towards the latter, as it would sort of mirror the first movie. In the first one, the aliens (sort of) understand the truth, but in this the new aliens would double down on their belief and hatred of their kind due to being abandoned while the planet was being attacked. Essentially this movie would be a satire of the diehard nature of sci-fi fans (a theme in the first movie), maybe touch a bit on religious extremism, and most importantly satire of (I didn't convey it much here) rampant reboots and remake in Hollywood today.

LiK

Fuck yea, MGS3 is better than I hoped. This is gonna be a great LP. I love when Drew is trying to be careful and tries Dan's suggestions and it becomes a clusterfuck. Hilarious XD

Jothel

I'm a few pages late, but I just caught up on like 7 pages of this thread.
I played rugby for my school, I then nearly lost an eye - my good eye at that too - I don't play rugby any more.
Sounds like it was a good UPF, always good to see Samantha too!
I'll watch it after I finish organising my wedding - apparently sorting out a wedding takes a lot of work, who knew huh?

jgminto

Some suggestions for Dan regarding MGS 3 if he's reading. If you haven't already done it in the next episode, you should get Drew to practice the CQC basics for a few minutes. I'm not sure how easily he'll be able to get codec calls about it now since he can no longer call The Boss. Also tell him about Stalking(using the d-pad to silently walk). It probably won't be a big problem on normal but Drew will still run into some issues if he tries to sneak up on guards while using the analog stick and I don't think it tells you about it directly in the game.

Megasoum

Banned
A thing that kinda freaks me out watching Rocky 4 now that I'm older and wiser is to realize that there's most probably not a single Russian person or place in that movie. Those are all Americans in that stadium at the end.

Movie magic.

Haunted

Jason Oestreicher ‏@unastrike
If I own a sparkly Jericho jacket and am damn good at the game, would it be possible to participate in one of these PAX Rumble things?

Jason Oestreicher ‏@unastrike
I would also like to submit the time I beat the "People's Champ" @SamanthaZero with D'Lo Brown: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/extra-life-2014-day-2-part-05/2300-9625/ …
I dunno, 4 people from GB might be a bit much.

Kick out Dan Ryckert, the useless bum.

photo.jpg

Jason 4 lyfe

hamchan

I'm sure PAX time is great for the fans that can go out to meet them but it kinda sucks for the rest of us. Once again I hope they have a bunch of prerecorded stuff to make this period seem less painful.

AcridMeat

Banned
I wish there were less PAXes just so there would be less posts complaining about it in here. It's like a 3 month cycle now.

How was UPF?

Yeah, I've seen Rising Zan before and it was a pleasure to see again. So charming. Same for Samantha; I had a good feeling she'd be the one to finally destroy Jeff at Windjammers, and my intuition proved bang-on.

Noaloha

Watching the co-op Helldivers segment on UPF, when Jason gave us a tight zoom of Brad's face, and I'm suddenly reminded of that strange, probably-totally-100%-fact-for-sure-maybe phenomena wherein pet owners slowly morph until they resemble their pets.

We could've very well had another Windjammers if the rights had gone to G Mode instead of Paon. G Mode's already given out two different licenses to old Data East stuff to an indie dev, so I don't see them holding onto Windjammers as hard as Paon has.

Hell, we even found out through that failed Bad Dudes 2 kickstarter that the license to that would've been $30,000, and way more people care about that than Windjammers.

Long story short: fuck paon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom