• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread The Third: #TeamBrad

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
BlkOps 2 has no chance.

It'll be Xcom, there's really nothing else, except maybe Mark of the Ninja, that everyone seems to like.

Serra

BlkOps 2 has no chance.

It'll be Xcom, there's really nothing else, except maybe Mark of the Ninja, that everyone seems to like.

Good point about Mark of the Ninja, I totally forgot about it since I haven't played it. I think XCOM won't make it, although it will be a contender.

ArjanN

Dark Souls PC is my GOTY. I know it won't even get a mention on GB since only Vinny likes good games that don't hold your hand.

Im guessing Brad will push for Journey. Everyone will nominate Walking Dead except Jeff. Vinny will mention Sleeping Dogs. Patrick will dismissively say that it was better than expected but not worth mentioning.

Everyone loves XCOM but it will be overlooked because of bugs and "being hard".

Finally they will settle on something really dumb like BLOPS 2.

I agree with all of this except for the bolded. None of them really care much about CoD any more.

I'm pretty sure XCOM will be their GOTY as it seems to be the only "big" game they all really liked. Even though they thought the downloadable stuff was really good this year, I'm still not sure they'd pick any of them (Mark of the Ninja / Hotline Miami etc) over a longer retail game.

Riposte

I think XCOM will win too judging by the podcasts, but I'm equally convinced Brad and Ryan will collectively find a way to flip that on its head.

Brad has already said that his games of the year are almost exclusively DLC.

So my bet for his 5 are, what, Journey, Hotline Miami, Walking Dead, and XCOM as the wild card... and?

Jintor

I'm wondering if Patrick will champion Tokyo Jungle for downloadables or not. I can't think of any other downloadables he really really liked this year, but I haven't been keeping a tally either...

XCOM should be GOTY based on their discussions. Then again, for them last year it was SR3, but they pussied out of that so who knows.

I think Borderlands 2 is going to be overlooked :'( Not even Jeff seems to love that game like he should. A shame, too, because it's a huge improvement over the original in every way.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
XCOM should be GOTY based on their discussions. Then again, for them last year it was SR3, but they pussied out of that so who knows.

I think Borderlands 2 is going to be overlooked :'( Not even Jeff seems to love that game like he should. A shame, too, because it's a huge improvement over the original in every way.

I love it too, but he is right though. It's just more borderlands.

Also I can see how quite a bit of the humour will grate on him.

You know what he means.

I wonder about Walking Dead, it's certainly top five of the year for me, but if EP5 completely fucks it up, I wonder if it'll taint the other episodes for people.

I thought ep 4 was going to be the ep that fucks it up (especially with Whitta writing it) but now I have faith it will end well. I'm just hoping the whole mysterious person thing isn't an absolute shit twist, that's the only real thing that can sour it from this point on.

I think it will be fine, though. The 4 eps have been so good I can't see them falling at the last hurdle.

I love it too, but he is right though. It's just more borderlands.

Also I can see how quite a bit of the humour will grate on him.

"Just more Borderlands" is just like saying "Just more hot sex!"

Also, Tiny Tina for character of the year. Truth.

Haunted

Standout downloadable games this year:

• Spelunky
  • Hotline Miami
  • The Walking Dead
  • FTL: Faster Than Light
  • Journey
  • Xcom
  • Binding of Isaac - Wrath of the Lamb
  • Mark of the Ninja
  • Trials Evolution

Standout retail games this year:
  • Xcom
  • Dark Souls: Durante Edition
  • Spec Ops: The Line

Don't tell me I've forgotten games, I haven't. Binary Domain, Borderlands, Dishonoured, Forza, Sleepy Dawgs, and whatever else you think deserves to be on there - retail had a lot of "good but not GOTY good" this year, imo. It's all subjective, anyway.

Instead of a separate downloadable category, they should have a separate retail category this year, no joke.

edit: the year is not over, but as far as upcoming releases are concerned, I only have Hitman, AC and Halo on the list as potentials (three retail games, admittedly).

StuBurns

Banned
I thought ep 4 was going to be the ep that fucks it up (especially with Whitta writing it) but now I have faith it will end well. I'm just hoping the whole mysterious person thing isn't an absolute shit twist, that's the only real thing that can sour it from this point on.

I think it will be fine, though. The 4 eps have been so good I can't see them falling at the last hurdle.
Indeed, I have a lot of faith they'll end it satisfactorily, but then, I, like yourself, thought 4 was good, many seemed to be down on it.

People are fools.

Also, thinking about who would be my real character of the year (although I actually DO really like Tiny Tina), I think I would go with Clementine from Walking Dead...

ArjanN

I think XCOM will win too judging by the podcasts, but I'm equally convinced Brad and Ryan will collectively find a way to flip that on its head.

Outside of quick looks I'm not sure Ryan even played anything besides XCOM and the walking dead this year. Brad will probably push the downloadble games pretty hard.

I wouldn't give it to one of the cast from the walking dead I'd give it to all of them.

They are some great characters in the game and it absolutely SHAMES the show, but none come close to Clem for me. I want to protect her so much it's insane. No game has captured that feeling so well before, as much as games like Ico etc have tried.

Spookie

They are some great characters in the game and it absolutely SHAMES the show, but none come close to Clem for me. I want to protect her so much it's insane. No game has captured that feeling so well before, as much as games like Ico etc have tried.

Yeah I feel the same but I feel she wouldn't be the way she is if it wasn't for the way the group dynamic works which in turn effects your decision and her opinion on you.

Jintor

Clem is up there. Most def. I'm sorting through the cast of Virtue's Last Reward in my head to see if any of them could be a contender, but I think (apart from Phi and Sigma) I'm drawing a blank.

Whatever the results may be you can be guaranteed people on the Internet will be furious about it.

Well, Dark Souls has been released for the second year running and it won't win, so Giant Bomb are just wrong by default once again.

We're having this discussion in the knowledge they're going to be wrong about Dark Souls and working around that sad fact!

Serra

Standout retail games this year:
  • Xcom
  • Dark Souls: Durante Edition
  • Spec Ops: The Line

Don't tell me I've forgotten games, I haven't. Binary Domain, Borderlands, Dishonoured, Forza, Sleepy Dawgs, and whatever else you think deserves to be on there - retail had a lot of "good but not GOTY good" this year, imo. It's all subjective, anyway.

You really liked Spec Ops that much?

EDIT: I would put any of the other games you mentioned over Spec Ops on that list. (haven't played Forza and I think Borderlands is mad boring but still)

Jintor

Spec ops is not a great game, but it is a pretty good critique of war-based games. In my opinion, of course. A lot of people misinterpreted it as critiquing violence itself, which I think was not really the intent. It came across to me as exploring violence as entertainment a great deal more. True, it didn't do anything particularly novel with this core concept, but it was a lot more interesting than your average third-person shooter.

It also had some badass setpieces.

Megasoum

Banned

EDIT: I would put any of the other games you mentioned over Spec Ops on that list. (haven't played Forza and I think Borderlands is mad boring but still)

I wouldn't put Spec-ops on the overall goty list but it would definitly be on my top 3 for story of the year (with walking dead and huh... Dunno something else lol)

Haunted

I like to reward bravery.

^^ what Jintor said

I can't imagine there's gonna be a Skyrim/Saints Row type debacle this year, especially if we're considering this year's Saints Row is XCOM. The closest thing to a Skyrim in that comparison would be Diablo 3, and even if Brad really likes it and pushes for it (I don't think he will, I don't think even he's playing it anymore) I don't see anyone else liking it enough to let it win.

It's gonna be Fez or XCOM.

Recall

Well we know Jeff is gonna bring up PSO2 and rightly so.

I see walking dead and Xcom being the games which end up facing off for the top spot. While brad demands Mark of the Ninja wins instead.

Trials Evolution or Halo 4 will be GOTY.

They will be two of the few games they all played which is normally a deciding factor since most of the time Jeff and Ryan dont bother to go back and replay the games they didnt play through out the year.

Willectro

Banned
Dark Souls PC is my GOTY. I know it won't even get a mention on GB since only Vinny likes good games that don't hold your hand.

Im guessing Brad will push for Journey. Everyone will nominate Walking Dead except Jeff. Vinny will mention Sleeping Dogs. Patrick will dismissively say that it was better than expected but not worth mentioning.

Everyone loves XCOM but it will be overlooked because of bugs and "being hard".

Finally they will settle on something really dumb like BLOPS 2.

Maybe consider not visiting the website or listening to the podcast?

I can't even really think what my personal Game of the Year is this year. I guess the games I spent the most time with were Skyrim modded to hell and back, Dark Souls PC also modded to an acceptable level and Witcher 2 with the Extended Edition patch on PC.

I've had a lot of fun with Chivlary and XCom. I haven't finished Sleeping Dogs but what I have play was pretty good. For me, the Mass Effect 3 ending completely disqualified it. Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 were fun for a while but I'm not the type to get completely sucked in by a loot driven RPG. Borderlands 2 dragged on for the gameplay variety it offers. I'm still looking forward to Halo 4 but I can't think of much else I'm excited for, for the rest of the year.

Patryn

I think anyone thinking it's going to be anything other than XCOM is deluding themselves. Ironically, I think only Ryan will have it be his personal GOTY.

And it's funny. When I first played Borderlands 2, I agreed with Jeff that I felt super underwhelmed. But I kept going back to it, to the point that I now have AC3, Dishonored and XCOM sitting on a shelf while I continue playing through it for the second time.

It's definitely my personal GOTY.

Trials Evolution or Halo 4 will be GOTY.

They will be two of the few games they all played which is normally a deciding factor since most of the time Jeff and Ryan dont bother to go back and replay the games they didnt play through out the year.

They all played and loved XCOM. Have people forgotten that fact? They talked about it for like four podcasts consecutively.

Serra

Maybe consider not visiting the website or listening to the podcast?

Don't get me wrong. I love Giant Bomb. I watch or listen to pretty much all of the content they produce. I just always find myself heavily disagreeing in their GOTY discussions. They are still very entertaining.

Ryan vs Jeff on SR3. Brad's fervent defending of Skyrim, deflecting Jeff's valid points about Skyrims shortcomings by denying its faults.

It is all very entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom