• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Vive stream | What a Time to Be a Vive!

styl3s

This is sweet, but I really hope we get a tabletop mode similar to that RTS shown on the Rift at some point.

Airmech2.png

Imagine taking in the entire game at a view.
Imagine a table top Starcraft and Warcraft game.

I really, really want to play Magic The Gathering in a table top form like this, beats the shit out of the crappy MTGO client.

The guy wearing the headset just said differently.
Are you referring to when Jeff asked them if it was jittery? He said that out of concern for them watching (certain games last week were particularly susceptible to invoking motion sickness from stream watchers, and Dan's head movement was particularly erratic).

So I've never personally used a VR headset so I am 100% speaking from my ass, but the point and click method of movement in larger spaces seems like an early, unrefined solution for how to interact with larger spaces in these games. I really want to try one to see how disorienting it actually is to have movement that isn't directly tied to the way your body is moving.

Myggen

Are you referring to when Jeff asked them if it was jittery? He said that out of concern for them watching (certain games last week were particularly susceptible to invoking motion sickness from stream watchers, and Dan's head movement was particularly erratic).

He also said that it could get jittery for him when a game was loading.

Imagine a table top Starcraft and Warcraft game.

I really, really want to play Magic The Gathering in a table top form like this, beats the shit out of the crappy MTGO client.

This is exactly what I want from VR. All the other stuff is awesome, not saying I don't want that. But I really want fucking insane tabletop style rts games.

Mihos

Gold Member
This is a good demo because it is something that couldn't have been done in any other format. I can't wait to see what 'new' genres are created in the future

These guys seem a lot more hyped for the Vive than they did for the Rift

Chuck

Still without luck
So did they start the show with a showstopper? There's no way any other stuff is as good as this Valve stuff

ElNarez

Banned
I'm picturing what some company like Cave could do with this and

holy fuck, this is the way to do VR, no contest

can't afford the vive or the computer to run it, but when I do, and the tech's all worked out? this is what's next

dhonk

So I've never personally used a VR headset so I am 100% speaking from my ass, but the point and click method of movement in larger spaces seems like an early, unrefined solution for how to interact with larger spaces in these games. I really want to try one to see how disorienting it actually is to have movement that isn't directly tied to the way your body is moving.

Its a hard problem to solve certainly, and is currently the least disorienting method for large movement.

Can attest that if stuff moves without you doing it, it is pretty fucking disorienting. Dunno how much of that one can get used to.

Devs are going to need to get very clever to solve this issue.

Mihos

Gold Member
like how he is stepping over the Mines LOL..

That is like tilting the controller in racing games.

Krejlooc

Banned
So did they start the show with a showstopper? There's no way any other stuff is as good as this Valve stuff

this is exactly what I've been saying. The Lab has been my most anticipated game this year since it was first unveiled. People completely missed that Valve had a polished game coming out this year, filled to the brim with experimental gameplay.

I am also 100% speaking out of my ass, but from all the creative ways of moving around the teleporting one seems by far the most intuitive. From the little experience I have with movement in VR (from DK1 days), I absolutely see why it is a problem. It still has it's place for people that are not motion sickness sensitive and for traditional games ported to VR, but I wouldn't want to design a game around it.

cheezcake

I think this is the most compelling VR experience I've seen so far in terms of gameplay. You just can't do this on any other platform.

Top Bottom