• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

Loudninja

People are (and were) responding to the official written descriptions of the content in the game. This is the entire overview of the career mode. You're doing yourself and others a disservice if you're insisting there's more to it than this.
People are playing the game now,not going by descriptions.

bombshell

People are (and were) responding to the official written descriptions of the content in the game. This is the entire overview of the career mode. You're doing yourself and others a disservice if you're insisting there's more to it than this.

A disservice how? The mission challenge category for example is filled with races.

Oh yes....it's got one. Just nothing along the lines of usual Gran Turismo games. Shame too, I would like to get this game but I am highly skeptical of it right now since I won't step foot into online racing.

I think you're misjudging it. These events start of small but clearly change into proper racing. Stage 6 has numerous races and even a 30 lap endurance at the end. Thats not even the final stage. You also have your usual driving license tests, and a customisable arcade that gives you credits.

I'm having more fun with GTS's campaign than GT5's campaign and its testing me in ways GT5 never did (fuel consumption, having to pit in the smaller races).

this not having a single player mode breaks my heart.
i don't want to play online.
If your relictance for not playing online is because you're afraid of being left to dust, then don't worry. I'm a bad driver too, before every race there are qualifying time trials and the matchmaking put you with player in similar skill. Also, for some reason, in this game, I dont feel the pressure to always need to be no 1 in a race.

After the early part where the car are close to each other, soon enough the car will start to spread out and by that time, Im just focusing on the guy in front of me.

For better or worse, it didnt felt like 16 people racing and more like 3 or 4 people near my car that is racing.

I already had fun for 4 hours or so and didn't even tried online play. If you can get a week of fun and 20-30 hours out of it, even if you don't like online gaming that much, where's the problem? That alone would be worth full price.
Plus who knows what they patch into this in the future.

The problem is not having the usual campaign? Why are people surprised by the reaction of some wanting an actual campaign and not a list of challenges and arcade mode?

Just bummed out that we waited a long while for another installment and it seems very Multiplayer focused. I will of course wait for reviews and impressions before passing final judgment. Hopefully I am wrong.

The only graphically thing that hugely dissapoints me is the really bad and low res reflection of your inside car in the front window when the sun shines on it.
It's so low res, it really distracts me from the race sometimes.

Gestault

People are playing the game now,not going by descriptions.

A disservice how? The mission challenge category for example is filled with races.

That's great news then, but I'm throwing up my hands on this one. My game isn't downloaded so I don't have firsthand experience. It sounds like the official manual materials are just trash?

Lol...it's not as gutted as people claimed, and you can judge for yourself if it's enough or not.

Those "people" were the staff of PD, official PR reps, and the written materials accompanying the final release.

I think you're misjudging it. These events start of small but clearly change into proper racing. Stage 6 has numerous races and even a 30 lap endurance at the end. Thats not even the final stage. You also have your usual driving license tests, and a customisable arcade that gives you credits.

I'm having more fun with GTS's campaign than GT5's campaign and its testing me in ways GT5 never did (fuel consumption, having to pit in the smaller races).
Seriously...

People just go and play the demo! Lol...it’s not as gutted as people claimed, and you can judge for yourself if it’s enough or not.

Still can’t toggle between 4K and FPS stability though. What gives?

FeD.nL

GT Sport is like prologue right? I am not very interested in multiplayer. How are the single player offerings?

No it's not like prologue. It's the first entry in the next generation of Gran Turismo.

Where the old titles SP would focus on experiencing the journey of a racing driver, Sport is there to actually teach you how to become a racing driver. And when you are comfortable move towards racing online against others.

DLsdu0kV4AACLDG.jpg

Sturtiebe

Seriously...

People just go and play the demo! Lol...it’s not as gutted as people claimed, and you can judge for yourself if it’s enough or not.

Still can’t toggle between 4K and FPS stability though. What gives?
Why i can’t switch that option? I have Samsung KS8000

Soar

This surprised me. I was not planning to pick this up at all since I'm pretty casual and really don't like online play. This has onto a buy because:

1) The tutorials are great and easy to absorb. Controls really well with my DS4. I easily know where and when I screwed up.
2) The online play is seamless, just join and compete on time with all the other players whizzing by me. Less pressure and all that.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
The problem is not having the usual campaign? Why are people surprised by the reaction of some wanting an actual campaign and not a list of challenges and arcade mode?

Just bummed out that we waited a long while for another installment and it seems very Multiplayer focused. I will of course wait for reviews and impressions before passing final judgment. Hopefully I am wrong.

The impression I'm getting is that rather than sacking off the campaign mode in favour of multiplayer the team have merged them with Sport mode - the AI has essentially been replaced with actual real-world players, making it something more akin to a MMO, but not?

Honestly, I can understand the disappointment, but, for better or worse, I think PD are trying to evolve the series and I can't fault them for that - they've done six iterations on the formula that launched the franchise. Looking for meaningful ways to progress the racing genre beyond prettier graphics is a bold - and potentionally dangerous - move.

It's caught them a lot more flak than simply reskinning GT6 and adding some upgraded visuals would have done and I'm tempted to believe that it's because they want to keep moving forward then just doing a new variant of the same circuit... maybe I'm wrong, but I think it'd be a mistake to dismiss it out of hand.

spwolf

if you actually play the demo, you will see that all of the racing is some kind of "campaign"... you earn points and whatever else (5 things) by simply racing in any way possible... under "Campaign" mode there are over 100 events if not more (just looked at it) and regular Time/Drift trials that most of GT players played also give you points for cars and whatever else.

So basically whatever you do gives you progress, it is like RPG of sorts.

Also points for buying cars seem to be easily earned... so there is no need to actually purchase them in game.

artsi

The impression I'm getting is that rather than sacking off the campaign mode in favour of multiplayer the team have merged them with Sport mode - the AI has essentially been replaced with actual real-world players, making it something more akin to a MMO, but not?

Personally I've always wanted something like iRacing on consoles, and this has the potential to fill that gap. I don't want to just drive multiplayer races, I want a multiplayer career.

GHG

I tried it with a controller too and I agree, you have just the right amount of control. Felt "done right" for that.
But The muffled cockpit sound, no FOV and no cool old cars(like Group C, Group 5, Group A) ... The Group B Quattro I'd rather drive in a rally game, so the cars are not for me.

If you don't play with a wheel, like GT3 cars and are ok with improved but still subpar sound, this game is pretty good. I very much agree with that.

Have you messed around with the sound settings in the options menu?

Turn the race BGM to 0, turn up the race sound effects to 150 and check if the output mode is correct (it defaults to 2 channel audio, so I had to change it for my surround sound). It's not going to make it R3E or anything but it makes it a lot better.But apart from that, I agree, its very road race car focused.

If you want more than that then you'll ultimately end up being disappointed.

Default FFB gain setting was absolutely awful on my T300RS. Clipping like crazy and way too heavy. Dropped it to 2 and it feels fantastic. So much better than Forza 7 on a wheel.

Crayon

I was staying up last night but I got old and went to bed.

I got up about 530 or so and started playing. I'm extremely impressed so far.

Honestly, I can understand the disappointment, but, for better or worse, I think PD are trying to evolve the series and I can't fault them for that - they've done six iterations on the formula that launched the franchise. Looking for meaningful ways to progress the racing genre beyond prettier graphics is a bold - and potentionally dangerous - move.

It's caught them a lot more flak than simply reskinning GT6 and adding some upgraded visuals would have done and I'm tempted to believe that it's because they want to keep moving forward then just doing a new variant of the same circuit... maybe I'm wrong, but I think it'd be a mistake to dismiss it out of hand.

I am looking forward to trying the demo for sure and seeing what it's like but I do not have a PS+ subscription and don't plan to get one again so after I go through the list of challenges and play a couple arcade games I worry I will just get bored and move on. At least a lot faster than any GT game in the past. It's great for people that want to play online more than anything though, I just hope we see a return of the standard campaign in a later title.

if you actually play the demo, you will see that all of the racing is some kind of "campaign"... you earn points and whatever else (5 things) by simply racing in any way possible... under "Campaign" mode there are over 100 events if not more (just looked at it) and regular Time/Drift trials that most of GT players played also give you points for cars and whatever else.

Also points for buying cars seem to be easily earned... so there is no need to actually purchase them in game.
Yeah, this game probably the most carrot and stick approach to progression in any gt. You get 3 different thing (credit, miles, xp) after every races you do in any mode.

It also track a lot of stuff that reward you for everything you do. Even playing around in scapes and sharing photo will earn you something. Than from milestones like how long youve played etc, they'll give you random cars, then theres dailies etc.

It is a bit like f2p or mobile games that they'll constantly giving you stuff in effort to make you keep playing. Not in a bad way, so far.

I dont know how much the car cost or the rate to earn money whether theyre designed to make you spend real money or not. Though.

Gestault

I dig that approach. If anything, I can see that making people more inclined to try a mode they might not normally, just to finish out a category.

Under display settings open the display assistant at the bottom and go through the setup again. You can change it there.
Yeah when I do that it just gives me the option to turn on/off HDR and adjust the brightest settings and saturation. It says 4K at the end, but I can actually toggle the frame rate mode and it says 2K in my options menu.

Every time I boot up GTS the screen goes black like the HDR is adjusting, so I’m not sure it’s even displaying in 4K even.

Yeah yeah nice try, slap the GT watermark on real photos - you almost had me.

HOLY SHIT.

I was honestly as surprised as you are. These took minimal effort btw, I know my way around a camera but even with most things left on default, the results are amazing.

How do the scapes work; is it a fixed angle and you can just move the car or?

The scape is a fixed angle photo - you can move the car around a set environment in the scene, which keeps you to the surface rather than any funny business. There are many to choose from, with more to come, I believe.

TheMan

So overall impressions seem good but not perfect. Where do you guys think this ranks against PC2? I would probably only bother to get one sim for the time being. For reference I do have a wheel.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
All set to download this tonight and check it out!! Can't wait to see how it looks on my Pro in 4K/HDR! Been years since i've played a GT game.

I was honestly as surprised as you are. These took minimal effort btw, I know my way around a camera but even with most things left on default, the results are amazing.

Only as long as you don't set it to HQ output (4K) in the photo menu. That's where this mode gets exposed cause it broken at the moment.
1080p is no problem tho and really amazing.

spwolf

I dig that approach. If anything, I can see that making people more inclined to try a mode they might not normally, just to finish out a category.

i dig it too since i almost exclusively play time trials in GT... Campaign modes I never played in any racing game for more than an hour or two... they are just boring for me.

But I have put hundreds of hours into time trials of GTP and GT5, I am not particularly good at all, it is just a lot of fun... so ability to earn credits from that is very, very nice.

Plus, didnt we see with all those campaign based throphies of GT6, that very few people actually get to half of the campaign, let alone finish it... same for other racers. Forcing people to play with car they dont like in mode they dont like and track they dont like is enough reason for them to quit after few tries... at lest for me in DC/GT and whatever else I played before (PC) on PS3/PS4.

Aspiring

I dunno...same for me, no answer yet from people, maybe it’s greyed out for everyone?

If you have a 4k tv you cant choose. It defaults to 4k. However if you close the game go to ps4 settings and change the ps4 output resolution to 1080 than you can pick either the downsample option or framerate

Feel free to correct me if wrong, but when i was doing tests before the game unlocked thats how it worked.

bombshell

It's a nice touch that you can watch the tutorial video while the event loads in the background.

Also I found that you can change theme colour of the UI: Press Options button anywhere and it's in the wrench (right word?) icon in the top left corner.

Sturtiebe

Yeah when I do that it just gives me the option to turn on/off HDR and adjust the brightest settings and saturation. It says 4K at the end, but I can actually toggle the frame rate mode and it says 2K in my options menu.

Every time I boot up GTS the screen goes black like the HDR is adjusting, so I’m not sure it’s even displaying in 4K even.

Same for me

Gestault

i dig it too since i almost exclusively play time trials in GT... Campaign modes I never played in any racing game for more than an hour or two... they are just boring for me.

But I have put hundreds of hours into time trials of GTP and GT5, I am not particularly good at all, it is just a lot of fun... so ability to earn credits from that is very, very nice.

Plus, didnt we see with all those campaign based throphies of GT6, that very few people actually get to half of the campaign, let alone finish it... same for other racers. Forcing people to play with car they dont like in mode they dont like and track they dont like is enough reason for them to quit after few tries... at lest for me in DC/GT and whatever else I played before (PC) on PS3/PS4.

I actually got a lot of playtime out of GT PSP, which was the more barebones of the series and had the weird daily rotation limit for the car purchases. So long as the tests/events feel like a good challenge, I can see myself enjoying even just the single-player stuff (before touching the online time attack and community events).

I really like time attack, lol

Top Bottom