• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

Defiantly stunning quality. ]

Yeah, look at those stunning 2D characters. Car models without equal at the mo, but the lack of polygons on the environment and also the pretty static cockpit views, lack of full damage system are pretty last gen, much like the gameplay

Best use of HDR yet though!

If your relictance for not playing online is because you're afraid of being left to dust, then don't worry. I'm a bad driver too, before every race there are qualifying time trials and the matchmaking put you with player in similar skill. Also, for some reason, in this game, I dont feel the pressure to always need to be no 1 in a race.

After the early part where the car are close to each other, soon enough the car will start to spread out and by that time, Im just focusing on the guy in front of me.

For better or worse, it didnt felt like 16 people racing and more like 3 or 4 people near my car that is racing.

Thanks. That sounds kinda cool but what i enjoyed about GT isn't actually the racing. I just liked buying cars and exploit the cpu so i could buy cooler cars. I always liked the clean museum asthetics with the smooth jazz that played. The racing was just a necessary evil lol.

Memento

Yeah, look at those stunning 2D characters. Car models without equal at the mo, but the lack of polygons on the environment and also the pretty static cockpit views, lack of full damage system are pretty last gen, much like the gameplay

Best use of HDR yet though!

He was trolling

Also, how can you know all that by an Youtube screengrab?

I don't get long to play over the next few days I've played for an hour or so today. Here's my dilemma I can play on a 4k HDR TV but only with a controller, or i can play on a 1080p set with surround sound and a gt wheel. To do this requires setting up the wheel and moving my Pro for like an hours play.... What would you do?

dracula_x

cddRwBb.gif

ki2ewbz.gif

Sebmugi

Pleeeease tell me that tunnel is a track location and not a Photo Travel view. That looks fantastic.
Oh weird, I see it now

unfortunately no .. no real "beautiful" tunnel to try to do the same for now .. yes it is a shame for the photo mode and it astonishes me of PD on this point .. and yet I am on pro in quality mode :p

I find that we do not find the quality of the replays with the photo mode .. these are they who are definitely impressionnant in the game ..

Calabi

I'm not sure about the online racing I was hit by another car, and spun out, I got a downrating on the SR and also disqualified from the race.

They used high end Sony cameras (and maybe some other proprietary software) to capture all the advanced meta-data when snapping the pictures of the scapes - this includes all the lighting information at the time of capture. There was an article about it ages ago.

I think of it as some kind of hybrid between pre-rendered and real time. Its really neat stuff - takes photo modes to a new level entirely.

HDRI image, most likely.

Strider

I'm not sure about the online racing I was hit by another car, and spun out, I got a downrating on the SR and also disqualified from the race.

Similar experience for me.

Did 2 Sport races... Multiple times in each race another player intentionally slammed into me as I went to pass them on a turn. My SR has now already been downgraded to a C :/ Unfortunately I've lost faith in that system already.

In most games I just opt for collision-less races... Idk if that's an option in GTS though

There's a 30 lap endurance race in one of short "challenge" section lol.

They used high end Sony cameras (and maybe some other proprietary software) to capture all the advanced meta-data when snapping the pictures of the scapes - this includes all the lighting information at the time of capture. There was an article about it ages ago.

I think of it as some kind of hybrid between pre-rendered and real time. Its really neat stuff - takes photo modes to a new level entirely.

That is some really neat stuff.

6-4! Holy crap! That took an hour to gold and I spent another hour just gawking at pictures from the replay.

You get to ride a McLaren death machine and have 2 laps to pass a bunch of Gr1 cars. The car is, uh, a handful. Just keeping the thing on the road is nigh impossible the first 20 or so attempts. I feel guilty having not paid for this game yet after getting to mess around with this challenge. Edit: Before anyone might ask about it, yes the driver seating looks strange because it's a motorcycle-style position, and yes that's a tube going into the helmet because it's a g-suit for the extreme performance of the car.

Anyway, have some pictures!

Bulk_Rate

For DS4 drivers such as myself, what controller sensitivity are you using? I found the default too sluggish for the M4, cranked it up to 3 and now experimenting with 7.

MS doesnt release Digital Sales, if it did then these numbers would mean something, if not then they are just taking half the picture.... same for Destiny 2, and other games in a more digital present and future.

BearPawB

Banned
Does anyone have a link to a clip showing a good sense of speed? So far (from not actually playing yet) I’m not getting that “speed” rush from the clips posted.

Septic360

Banned
First race completed.

Impressions:

Visuals- they are decent but NO WAY ON EARTH are they close to what the gifs and replay footage show based on whats been posted here. Still...this was oval raceway falafel so let's try some other tracks.

Gameplay: Handling felt solid and the sense of speed was far improved over the predecessors.

Are we allowed to Twitch stream this?

witness

This is my major worry about the game for me, online racing has always been crap for me in a game like this because other players just steamroll into me and that’s that. I hope there’s a no collision mode or something otherwise I don’t have faith in the online being something I participate in.

Playing in 4K with HDR. Hands down the best looking game I've seen - it is, for the most part, photo realistic. There's some funky shadows, some LOD issues here and there, and some of the environment assets (mostly trackside) can look a bit tacky - but as an overall image it is stunning. The gifs/replays I saw earlier had my expectations high and I was skeptical that gameplay would look the same - but they've done an incredible job.

It's been a long time since I've played a Gran Turismo game. I played GT2 heaps, never touched GT3, GT4 or prologue/PSP. I bought GT5 on PS3 but took it back almost immediately because the visuals and audio were all over the place and I was enjoying arcade racers at the time. So I was unsure what I'd think of the physics after so many years of Forza, Shift and arcade racers. Again, they've nailed it. I have no idea how the physics actually stack up, but cars certainly feel alot more 'planted' to the road than other games. As a result, the tracks feel great and the act of shifting gears, braking etc - are all really good, as you can feel the car shifting weight.

Most importantly, I think they've made a great choice by focusing on online. There's plenty of content for eveyone, but the DR/SR system will be great for close, fair races - something that racing games (at least on console) have been lacking for some time.

That said, the game isn't perfect. I think the audio is very good overall, but some of the cars (WRX STI for example) are lacking. I also think the tire squeal can be excessive - hopefully they give us the option to adjust the sound mix.
I'm not sure on car variety. There are plenty of cars, but going to the Brand Showrooms can be a little discouraging. Also, does anyone know what the benefit of owning cars in your garage is? I appears that most races let me select a wide selection of cars that I am free to modify - so I don't know why I'd buy a car? Guessing there's a reason but it's just not clear for me yet.
Finally, where is the modification? I knew it wasn't going to be Midnight Club with body kits etc. However I always loved taking cars and spending tons on upgrades, and then tuning and testing. I'm okay without it, but some limited options outside of livery would be good.

ornery

For DS4 drivers such as myself, what controller sensitivity are you using? I found the default too sluggish for the M4, cranked it up to 3 and now experimenting with 7.

Moved up to 4. Seems to be doing the trick. Also, I changed over to using the right analog stick for acceleration and braking. Its much better that way.

0racle

This is my major worry about the game for me, online racing has always been crap for me in a game like this because other players just steamroll into me and that’s that. I hope there’s a no collision mode or something otherwise I don’t have faith in the online being something I participate in.

Playing in 4K with HDR. Hands down the best looking game I've seen - it is, for the most part, photo realistic. There's some funky shadows, some LOD issues here and there, and some of the environment assets (mostly trackside) can look a bit tacky - but as an overall image it is stunning. The gifs/replays I saw earlier had my expectations high and I was skeptical that gameplay would look the same - but they've done an incredible job.

It's been a long time since I've played a Gran Turismo game. I played GT2 heaps, never touched GT3, GT4 or prologue/PSP. I bought GT5 on PS3 but took it back almost immediately because the visuals and audio were all over the place and I was enjoying arcade racers at the time. So I was unsure what I'd think of the physics after so many years of Forza, Shift and arcade racers. Again, they've nailed it. I have no idea how the physics actually stack up, but cars certainly feel alot more 'planted' to the road than other games. As a result, the tracks feel great and the act of shifting gears, braking etc - are all really good, as you can feel the car shifting weight.

Most importantly, I think they've made a great choice by focusing on online. There's plenty of content for eveyone, but the DR/SR system will be great for close, fair races - something that racing games (at least on console) have been lacking for some time.

That said, the game isn't perfect. I think the audio is very good overall, but some of the cars (WRX STI for example) are lacking. I also think the tire squeal can be excessive - hopefully they give us the option to adjust the sound mix.
I'm not sure on car variety. There are plenty of cars, but going to the Brand Showrooms can be a little discouraging. Also, does anyone know what the benefit of owning cars in your garage is? I appears that most races let me select a wide selection of cars that I am free to modify - so I don't know why I'd buy a car? Guessing there's a reason but it's just not clear for me yet.
Finally, where is the modification? I knew it wasn't going to be Midnight Club with body kits etc. However I always loved taking cars and spending tons on upgrades, and then tuning and testing. I'm okay without it, but some limited options outside of livery would be good.

How are these two graphic impressions so vastly different.

All right?

What is last gen gameplay?

It feels more or less like GT 5 with better car models. In-Car view is a lit bit basic and static there's 4 fewer cars on track than Forza and also a hell of a lot of 2D assets used on the crows and tree's, AI doesn't seem a step up Ect.

Great game, but for me Project Cars 2 is offering a lot more.

magawolaz

6-4! Holy crap! That took an hour to gold and I spent another hour just gawking at pictures from the replay.

You get to ride a McLaren death machine and have 2 laps to pass a bunch of Gr1 cars. The car is, uh, a handful. Just keeping the thing on the road is nigh impossible the first 20 or so attempts. I feel guilty having not paid for this game yet after getting to mess around with this challenge. Edit: Before anyone might ask about it, yes the driver seating looks strange because it's a motorcycle-style position, and yes that's a tube going into the helmet because it's a g-suit for the extreme performance of the car.

Anyway, have some pictures!
Yeah it didn't look challenging at first but I always kept screwing towards the end. Took me some 30-40 minutes to beat.

I'm liking this game a lot.

I found 4 to be perfect for me

Have you messed around with the sound settings in the options menu?

Turn the race BGM to 0, turn up the race sound effects to 150 and check if the output mode is correct (it defaults to 2 channel audio, so I had to change it for my surround sound). It's not going to make it R3E or anything but it makes it a lot better.But apart from that, I agree, its very road race car focused.

I can't believe that I'm actually downloading the demo, but that's what I'm doing right now. 2h left.

Problem in the beta (and previous GT titles) was the cockpit sound. It's a bit like Gran Turismo thinks that every car interior has the sound insulation and noise cancelling of a Mercedes E-Class, even though some race cars are so loud inside the emptied interior with echo and transmission noises that it's hard to understand radio messages from the pits.

And it's a feedback loop problem too! The cockpit driving experience - overall (exposure, sound, camera angle and movement, steering wheel rotation, thumbs, FoV) is not as good in GT as in other games (or at least not as good as it could and should be) because PD doesn't care because almost no one drives from cockpit view, because the cockpit view is bad, because PD doesn't care, because nobody uses it and so on and so on.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Ok um, the mission stuff are fun. It’s like they took the mode they added into GT5 once things got stale, and made the campaign around that. If they keep adding to it, and perhaps up the credit rewards, this will for sure work for me.

Certinty

Did the 30 lap race. What a huge joke. AI takes you out every time you have a half decent battle with them, got taken out like 5 times. What's worse is the rubberbanding. Everytime I spun the cars ahead slowed down dramatically allowing me to catch up. Then when I got to first several times I wasn't able to grow my lead past a few seconds as the cars behind would speed up.

Hugely disappointed. Pathetic stuff from a so called 'simulator'.

GHG

Gold Member
Did the 30 lap race. What a huge joke. AI takes you out every time you have a half decent battle with them, got taken out like 5 5 times. What's worse is the rubberbanding. Everytime I spun the cars ahead slowed down dramatically allowing me to catch up. Then when I got to first several times I wasn't able to grow my lead past a few seconds as the cars behind would speed up.

Hugely disappointed. Pathetic stuff from a so called 'simulator'.

You can turn rubberbanding off in the options. It's on by default.

Top Bottom