• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

John Wick

I went from very little interest - well I guess enough interest to download the demo - to a buy so quickly I could have pulled a muscle. It just feels so perfect on the dualshocks, and its polished to a shine everywhere else. The UI is exquisite, both game menus and when racing. It may not have the greatest graphics I've ever seen, but man is it clean, and that's important when you spend so much time looking far down the track for the next apex. Other games tend to have more visual noise, made worse when you've got a lot of dynamic shadows criss-crossing the track. Yeah, there's not a lot of tracks or cars compared to the competition, but if the moment to moment is quality I don't really mind that much -- and the car selection in GTs always felt a bit weird to me (OK, somebody likes Skylines), and I avoided all the non-premiums as it was (cockpit view only for me), so the car collection aspect isn't something I really need.

Track selection could get to me over time though - but I do still have Project Cars 2 if that ends up rubbing me the wrong way.

And man, I can't wait to try out GTS versions of the Nurburgring and Bathurst.

Well judging from Kaz's previous comments he expects GTS to have between 400-500 cars. Also more tracks will be added over time. Hopefully most will all be free downloads with maybe a couple of DLC packs. Can't wait to see if they have some sort of weather in the game?

Just did a 0:44 flat in the kart on the Kyoto Driving Park event, what's everyone else's times looking like?

I'm sitting at a 45:001. What do you do at that sharp turn right near the end of the lap? I know you can take the rest of the lap without letting off the gas, but it seems like you have to downshift to 4th there.

Tommi84

No, that's in-game. The effect isn't really subtle, it sort of "clicks" on and off. [...]
Ij9KJlV.gif
I prefer the red indicator found south-west of the digital speedometer. This vignette effect looks rather poor (especially during turning of when it just ... disappears).

Mush

I'm sitting at a 45:001. What do you do at that sharp turn right near the end of the lap? I know you can take the rest of the lap without letting off the gas, but it seems like you have to downshift to 4th there.
Yeah, just take a wide line and shift down to 4th.

Well judging from Kaz's previous comments he expects GTS to have between 400-500 cars. Also more tracks will be added over time. Hopefully most will all be free downloads with maybe a couple of DLC packs. Can't wait to see if they have some sort of weather in the game?

Wow. I didn’t expect that much of an increase in car amount since getting the impression that there isn’t that many in the demo atm

But that’s really cool then!

I hear you, especially since many of them look silly or ugly. On the flip side though, the Vision GT stuff effectively gave us the Bugatti Chiron, so I'm guessing PD are pretty chuffed with it.

They've got Pininfarina designing VGT cars now. PD's respect within the industry is impressive.

Zeel

The mechanics in Arcade and Missions are great, but...

Online races are stuck in "noob" setting for me, ie. everything is automatic and I can basically hold down the gas pedal and slightly steer left and right, nothing more required, it plays itself. Also whenever I bump into a car in front, it catapults it 20 meters ahead.

When I try to go into settings, the game crashes.
When I try to check my achievements and get my unlocks, the game crashes.
When I want to check my friends' photos etc., the game crashes.

What the hell is wrong with this game?

I had no idea the plan was to have so many cars. As long as they're all premium - which they'll be - that's icing on the cake.

One other point that draws me to GT is that while I've definitely gotten better over the years at sims (used to think hitting a curb even for a second was like touching a hot burner), and each game taught me something new, I'm still the perfect candidate for those Circuit Experience trials and probably have a good chunk to learn from the Racing School / Etiquette bits too. Other sims tend to just throw you on to the track, which is fine, but I could probably use that direction.

Well judging from Kaz's previous comments he expects GTS to have between 400-500 cars.

Are PD having a laugh?. They can't get 200 cars in the finish Sports that's despite the team working on the game for 4 years, now the Team say they're going to double the number of cars, well maybe in 8 years time then.

Yes, the game looked amazing for Car models, but in almost every other area the game is seriously outdated. It feels like I'm playing GT on my PS2.

Crayon

The classes make sense, I've no problem with that. But I haven't seen anyone yet say they like the rally mode. I mean I guess Kaz does for some reason, but IMO they should've scrapped that and focused their energies on road and track racing.

I do miss taking a cheap car and upgrading it. It was like leveling up your car, and I liked tweaking the upgrades until it felt balanced. It was a more populist approach. Now it seems focused on mostly expensive cars, where the DIY aspect is pretty much taken out. I can get why they did that for the esports route, but I think when people say they miss the career mode, that rags-to-riches upgrade system is part of that loss.

I just tried some of the rally because I wanted to see exactly what I didn't like before. I had only played it once I think.

- The dirt surface is completely static and impervious to everything. You can't blow up a burm or scatter gravel. This is a far cry from what you get in the real dirt. Here nor there really. I don't think any game does this.

- there is no surface features besides undulations of the type that you could also find on asphalt. No ruts, braking bumps, potholes, protruding rock, marbles, deep loam.... Nothing really. Just a dirt road. Which a well groomed rally course would be I guess but there should be at least some of this stuff on a rally-car type scale. There goes a lot of the fun of off road driving right there.

-theres a lack of feedback when the shoulder tread bites in. I'm a courier and some of the routes are off road. When the tire is moving sideways and penetrating the loose top layer instead of rolling forward and floating on top... You can hear it and you can feel it in the steering. This has like... None of that. I think the action is being accounted for in the game because the cars basically drives right, but you can't hardly tell.

Otherwise... It's fine I guess. The stroking of the suspension is actually pretty nice. Overall tho it is not a dynamic off road experience without the feedback and interesting surface features to drive interesting lines over.

It's not awful but it sucks a bit.

And I too miss taking a cheap car and upgrading it. The upgrades are still here tho, were just missing those sweet cheap cars.

bombshell

The mechanics in Arcade and Missions are great, but...

Online races are stuck in "noob" setting for me, ie. everything is automatic and I can basically hold down the gas pedal and slightly steer left and right, nothing more required, it plays itself. Also whenever I bump into a car in front, it catapults it 20 meters ahead.

When I try to go into settings, the game crashes.
When I try to check my achievements and get my unlocks, the game crashes.
When I want to check my friends' photos etc., the game crashes.

What the hell is wrong with this game?

Go into driving options on the screen before a race starts and disable the driving aids. Also after having raced some time try to enter the general settings menu from within a race screen instead of from the main menu screen. The crashes should be fixed after doing that.

The crashes going into settings are a known issue, but it's the officially provided workaround for now to play the game for more than 15 minutes before entering the settings.

Are PD having a laugh?. They can't get 200 cars in the finish Sports that's despite the team working on the game for 4 years, now the Team say they're going to double the number of cars, well maybe in 8 years time then.

Yes, the game looked amazing for Car models, but in almost every other area the game is seriously outdated. It feels like I'm playing GT on my PS2.

GAF consensus the last year seemed to show PS2 GT was peak GT so that’s good.

Where's the Settings menu they're referring to where you can fix the black border that appears? The actual Home menu just brings you to settings up your car and such, and I don't see any Settings option on the main menu.

Anyway, got my first win in kart racing

granturismosportz6sbz.png

Kinda surprised because I started 4th and the guy in first was more than 1s faster than my qualifying time. But he ended up spinning out and the others ahead of me made similar errors.

bombshell

Where's the Settings menu they're referring to where you can fix the black border that appears? The actual Home menu just brings you to settings up your car and such, and I don't see any Settings option on the main menu.

It's in the system settings, not in-game.

Settings > Sound and Screen > Display Area Settings

Here, so, the full release won’t have us waiting 15 minutes for matches will it? Like, surely more than 3 options at a time, no?

I was wondering the same thing?

I have tried to play a few times and there always seems to be a 15/20 minute wait so I just find myself backing out.

Mush

Anyway, got my first win in kart racing

granturismosportz6sbz.png

Kinda surprised because I started 4th and the guy in first was more than 1s faster than my qualifying time. But he ended up spinning out and the others ahead of me made similar errors.
Started 2nd, ended up dropping back to last twice finishing 13th :(

It's in the system settings, not in-game.

Settings > Sound and Screen > Display Area Settings

Odd because I don't have the black bar issue on other games.

And I just found out that you can't actually buy cars in the demo version as I was about to go ahead and purchase the Honda Project 2&4.

Putty

What a fantastic track the training course is! SO thrilling and feel fabulous when you hook it all up. Super rewarding when driving on the edge...

bombshell

I was wondering the same thing?

I have tried to play a few times and there always seems to be a 15/20 minute wait so I just find myself backing out.

Sport races thus far are on :00, :20:, :40 so depending on when you get on you will have anywhere from no wait to 20 minutes wait.

If you want online races at random times go to the Lobby mode.

Edit: Also for Sport races, just hit enter to register for the race and it will start up a qualifying session that you can simply continue practicing the track in right until the timer for the race start hits 0, so you'll get no pause between your qualy and the race.

mojo2

Neo Member
Ain't it dumb that DR/SR is not affected in lobbies? Only in Sport. So you can fuck around on lobby drive, not cool. Lobbies are way to go if you enjoy driving without ABS, TCS or anything really and like to drive with like minded people. Tyre selection can be wider too.

The other little annoying thing for me is that only the winner is celebrated with a sexy picture after the race. I feel godlike if I get to be on podium, it would be great to show the whole roster of the best three! No one gets hurt if you spead a little love for the second and the third.

Other than those "suggestions" I have to say I have fallen in love without a doubt.

Haha this is usually me. The few online races i have had i realised i qualify always high but when there are actual racers....i finish bottom. No idea why.

My entire goal in the first few laps of online races is to just not make any mistakes. So i'm really not pushing too hard and i'll get off my usual line in order to make sure that i'm not behind another car in a braking area. I find that's where you lose a lot of time as people tend to brake really early which means you're either going to ram into them or you're also going to be in an early braking zone. After the first few laps the front of the pack should be clean enough to drive like a lot more aggressively.

Did some back-to-back tests with Forza 7 (PC) and GTS with the same wheel. Stuck a friend (a competent driver) down on them both. Within 1-2 laps in GT he was lapping moderately quickly and consistently. In F7, he was losing control every other bend and wildly inconsistent. I was keen on picking up both but the wheel implementation in F7 is so bad. I can't even match my controller times. What a letdown. I think Forza pips it in sound design and even visuals (maxed on PC downsampled from 4K) though and I enjoy the non realworld tracks.

Snubbers

Bah, I caved, fired up the demo yesterday and aside from niggles connecting, the main issue by far was my Fanatec CSW V2 wheel isn't natively supported..

I've ordered the DriveHub (Chronusmax) just in case fanatec don't sort it out by the game launch, but I can't play on a pad (or rather, won't play on a pad)

Did some back-to-back tests with Forza 7 (PC) and GTS with the same wheel. Stuck a friend (a competent driver) down on them both. Within 1-2 laps in GT he was lapping moderately quickly and consistently. In F7, he was losing control every other bend and wildly inconsistent. I was keen on picking up both but the wheel implementation in F7 is so bad. I can't even match my controller times. What a letdown. I think Forza pips it in sound design and even visuals (maxed on PC downsampled from 4K) though and I enjoy the non realworld tracks.
Shame I can't compare both yet, but I've not had any issues with FM7, but as with most games people naturally overdrive the car, and I do think this is where a lot of differences come in, because some are more forgiving, some are less forgiving, and FM7 is a bit inconsistent in this regard, but if you do drive it within the capability of the car, (as with the rivals events I've been doing), it's actually a nice experience for me on the CSW V2, the main elements of FFB are quite well done, I can feel the tyre grip nicely, the kerbs are well handled in terms of FFB, and the feeling of weight transfer is there, everything I need to start getting in the top 100 times on the leaderboards at least.

bombshell

Haha this is usually me. The few online races i have had i realised i qualify always high but when there are actual racers....i finish bottom. No idea why.

I too often race without keeping in mind that races are not won in the first couple corners, but they are easily lost there. I constantly need to remind myself to take a less aggressive approach in the first corners. Are you experiencing the same? :)

JamboGT

Bah, I caved, fired up the demo yesterday and aside from niggles connecting, the main issue by far was my Fanatec CSW V2 wheel isn't natively supported..

I've ordered the DriveHub (Chronusmax) just in case fanatec don't sort it out by the game launch, but I can't play on a pad (or rather, won't play on a pad)

This is via Amar212 who only just posted in here and is for the CSL Elite but it might be worth giving it a try:

1) CSL Elite wheel has to be plugged into PS4 USB port 1 but not powered
2) PS4 console has to be started MANUALLY via POWER BUTTON (not via controller)
3) Once the console is ON, the wheel should be powered (via POWER button) and put into the PS4 mode (blue light)
4) Wheel is then assigned to user via PS buttton on the wheel
5) Wheel works for UI and for in game from that point - all buttons, brakes, FFB, everything
6) User can decide which wheel-game profile (Logitech, Thrustmaster) he wants to use (OPTIONS > CONTROLERS>WHEELS) for the button assigments
7) Personal setup is then applied through Fanatec CLSE Tuning Menu

John Wick

I had no idea the plan was to have so many cars. As long as they're all premium - which they'll be - that's icing on the cake.

One other point that draws me to GT is that while I've definitely gotten better over the years at sims (used to think hitting a curb even for a second was like touching a hot burner), and each game taught me something new, I'm still the perfect candidate for those Circuit Experience trials and probably have a good chunk to learn from the Racing School / Etiquette bits too. Other sims tend to just throw you on to the track, which is fine, but I could probably use that direction.

All cars will be premium. They've planned for the future. Kaz expects these models to last the next 10 years. Hopefully the game will follow GT6 model and give all content free of charge.

I love racing through DC and doing time trials etc. Shame we'll never see a number 2. Just imagine how good that could have been?

Anyway sick of all the naysayers putting GT Sports down. Glad the game is turning out to be fantastic.

John Wick

Well stick to that then! Seriously some posts are a joke

Snubbers

This is via Amar212 who only just posted in here and is for the CSL Elite but it might be worth giving it a try:

1) CSL Elite wheel has to be plugged into PS4 USB port 1 but not powered
2) PS4 console has to be started MANUALLY via POWER BUTTON (not via controller)
3) Once the console is ON, the wheel should be powered (via POWER button) and put into the PS4 mode (blue light)
4) Wheel is then assigned to user via PS buttton on the wheel
5) Wheel works for UI and for in game from that point - all buttons, brakes, FFB, everything
6) User can decide which wheel-game profile (Logitech, Thrustmaster) he wants to use (OPTIONS > CONTROLERS>WHEELS) for the button assigments
7) Personal setup is then applied through Fanatec CLSE Tuning Menu

Thanks I saw that thread, did give it a try, but he did go on to retract this and apologised, which is fair enough, Fanatec have said they are aware of the issue and will fix it, but only reference the official PS4 version of the product, I'm using a CSW V2 with XO Universal hub in PC mode (which is touted as the mode you should put it in for the PS4.

I'm intrigued by the DriveHub, if it works as it should, I can use any decent wheel accross all platforms which will be a godsend, it cost me a lot to get XO/PC and PS3/4 support via fanatec, and as I'm finding it's quite patchy..

KdotIX

Just tried it. Are people seriously liking this?

I was a huge GT fan since the first one all the way to GT5 but as soon as I started to play this one I was met with a very weird sensation.

First, the game has no speed. It seems very slow and the driving response of the cars is akin to an anvil on wheels. Seriously, I can't believe how bad the whole thing rubbed off on me.

I gotta say - if you're not experiencing a sense of speed, you're not going fast enough. Driving cars in GT Sport on, or over, the limit is really telling and satisfying. I was playing in Sport mode yesterday in the little Daihatsu Copen (usually a slow car) on Tokyo Expressway. It took me approximately 2 laps to get the feel of the car over the limit and soon enough I was taking liberties with its weight shift to whiz around the corners without braking much at all, it was at that point where I was really sensing the speed of the car and its capabilities around the circuit.

Another tip if you're not feeling a sense of speed is to go into bumper cam.

JamboGT

Thanks I saw that thread, did give it a try, but he did go on to retract this and apologised, which is fair enough, Fanatec have said they are aware of the issue and will fix it, but only reference the official PS4 version of the product, I'm using a CSW V2 with XO Universal hub in PC mode (which is touted as the mode you should put it in for the PS4.

I'm intrigued by the DriveHub, if it works as it should, I can use any decent wheel accross all platforms which will be a godsend, it cost me a lot to get XO/PC and PS3/4 support via fanatec, and as I'm finding it's quite patchy..

Ah sorry, I hadn't followed up on it :(

RocknRola

Tried it yesterday, pretty fun :) Not usually a big fan of these type of racers (more of an arcade type person) but I did enjoy what it offered me.

2 things:
  1. the UI is busy and odd.
  2. Said UI breaks and crashes the game when I try to go into the option menu on the home screen of the game

Other than that, like I said, fun. Took me a while to get the feel for the driving (playing on Intermediate btw) but afterwards I was clearing tracks and races with no problem!

JamboGT

Have been having a great time playing with friends so far, the netcode seems massively improved so far. The gap between the demo and the full game is going to be tough :p

jm89

Didn't they rebuild GT from the ground up? That's probably where most of that time went. They maybe have a good process modelling cars now, if kaz is being serious with that number.

Rodelero

played online with full on assists? wtf
I purposely disabled all assists yet they were enabled online?

I think there's just something around saving the assists that is a little strange. Things like TCS seem to save on a car level. Other things perhaps on a mode level, or maybe just not saving that well. You can just disable the assists from within Sport mode and it will be fine from there on in my experience.

sTiTcH AU

CSW v2 (as well as some other wheels) has not been supported since mid 2016 on PS4 and wont be in future. There is no way for Fanatec to fix the issue because its no longer allowed to be supported. Sony changed their wheel policy last year and you now require an official playstation supported wheel, before then it was up to the developer to implement wheel support. Thats why the CSW v2 will work on older games like project cars and f1 2015 (also assetto corsa and f1 2016 if you dont install the day 1 patch).

The drivehub is the only way you will get your wheel to work on GT sport.

Mush

There needs to be a shortcut to Home in the GT logo drop-down menu in the top left. If I go to livery editor for example and realise I'm in the wrong car, I have to back out all the way to the main menu and THEN go to Home.

Zeel

Go into driving options on the screen before a race starts and disable the driving aids. Also after having raced some time try to enter the general settings menu from within a race screen instead of from the main menu screen. The crashes should be fixed after doing that.

The crashes going into settings are a known issue, but it's the officially provided workaround for now to play the game for more than 15 minutes before entering the settings.

Thanks alot, any workaround is a workaround at this point.

Makikou

Can you give me a heads up when you get the Drivehub? Hopefully its good.

Also the pictures above of the Toyota LMP1 and a concept car just prove how stupid concept cars are.

Top Bottom