• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

Animal

Banned
GT Sport |OT| A Non-Contact Sport
GT Sport |OT| No Touching
GT Sport |OT| Don’t Touch Me Bro
GT Sport |OT| Translator-san is Watching
GT Sport |OT| No Touching. Translator-san is Watching.

Stoop Man

Right stick is the only way to play with controller the fine control of accelerator is too good way better than trigger and with the ds4 it's infinitely better too great sensitivity and precision plus gt always has fantastic pad controls.

I dunno if I could get used to braking AND accelerating on one stick!

They should totally make a dedicated racing game pad like in the psx days. I'm not gonna spend $200 on a racing wheel but I'd totally drop $60 on a jogcon or negcon successor. :p

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Dammit guys! This thread plus the Impressions thread over at GT Planet pushed me over the edge and made me buy my first PS4 console. I was gonna stick to just Forza, PCars2 and AC for now, but....couldn't resist! My wallet
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

Footos22

I find these festival stages to be a test of patience. Also helps to move your torque balance as far backwards as possible, disable ASM and reduce TC to 0 or 1. Helps your backside dance around the turns

I stuck my brake power all to the front and got gold first time. had no hope before that.

XanaviF30

I was able to partake in the closed beta back when it was going on. My setup then was a Pioneer Kuro. The graphics then, my opinion, were quite stunning. Fast forward to today, I'm now playing this beta on a Sony A1E and my god, gaming with HDR is incredible! Is this CB 4K? It looks so good.

Namikaze

Is there a way to launch a car in the game like in Forza? Without the option to launch a manual car at 4-5k rpm, I still feel like I'm driving an automatic.

Right stick is the only way to play with controller the fine control of accelerator is too good way better than trigger and with the ds4 it's infinitely better too great sensitivity and precision plus gt always has fantastic pad controls.

How do you do use the brake and throttle simultaneously with a single stick? I use the technique to get finer control and avoid losing as much speed when I brake into turns.

Also re: the R2 trigger, yup, my pre-revision DS4's R2 failed a few months ago. The new one has been fine.

dugdug

Banned
Here, so, the full release won’t have us waiting 15 minutes for matches will it? Like, surely more than 3 options at a time, no?

Not to be that guy, but, can anyone confirm the final release will be different? It’s my only downside to this, so far.

Memento

I missed Gran Turismo! I am finally playing it and it is a blast. It is a joy to control on a controller. And mastering the momentum is so freaking satisfying!

Gotta say though the first impression was "WTF it looks like shit" because God knows why the first campaign activity is on the worst looking environment the game offers. The trees were fucking awful wtf.

But then the desert circuit came and it looked like another game visually. In fact only that circuit with the 2D trees makes me "whew". All the others look good to amazing.

The lighning is on another level compared to everything else. Great stuff.

This demo actually makes me want to buy it day 1. But at the same time I think it is better to wait for reviews because if it is too online oriented I cant justify it, at least not now.

1er tigre

Even the official response says it should be ok after 15 minutes of playing, so maybe you have a different issue? On the home screen there’s a button in the bottom right that usually highlights something current, can you click through from there to collect your prize?
Nope. It crashes when I do that.
hnqK4NR.gif

Go into a time trial race in sport mode, then exit out back to main menu. Should be able to open up settings afterwards.
Will try, thanks.

wrongway

Just played a handful of the online sport matches and had a really good time of it. I've never played any remotely serious racing games online with random people before, so I was really impressed by how cautious/courteous people are on this. I went in with the goal of just trying to be clean and not fuck up anyone else's race, and it seems like damn near everyone is trying their best to be cool too. Really nice first impression.

For the pad crew, what do you have your stick sensitivity set to? I've bumped mine up to 6 since I thought the default felt too laggy. Is there any benefit to lower sensitivity, or should it be as high as you can comfortably/smoothly manage?

Is the NA server down? I can't connect to save or even read the news updates.
edit: UGH, their site says they're down for maintenance from 10-11pm PST. great plan, doing maintenance at primetime on the west coast...

For the pad crew, what do you have your stick sensitivity set to? I've bumped mine up to 6 since I thought the default felt too laggy. Is there any benefit to lower sensitivity, or should it be as high as you can comfortably/smoothly manage?

Where in the settings is the stick sensitivity option? I've seen people mention this before (people have recommended 4) but I see nothing in the Wireless Controller config.

GHG

Gold Member
Check this Luck on my opening gift car!!

20171010_195759r7kio.jpg

The Mustang looks great in the opening area.

"Gameplay graphics" wise though....Man, the graphics (environment) are really, really, bad on the first (test track).

On another positive note, I've gotten gold in every driver's test on my first try so far. Doing it with the three star difficulty, I don't remember what that was called LOL.

Haha amazing luck.

Get away from the driver school stuff if you've played other racing games before, you don't really need to do it if you're semi-competent.

I'd suggest going and doing circuit experience at dragon trail in the jaguar GT3 and then start working your way through the mission challenge stuff.

The test track and rally is never going to show you what the game has to offer.

wrongway

IWhere in the settings is the stick sensitivity option? I've seen people mention this before (people have recommended 4) but I see nothing in the Wireless Controller config.

It's kind of odd, you have to actually go load up a race first. Once you're at the pre-race menu, go to Driving Options, then scroll down to Advanced Settings at the bottom. "Controller Steering Sensitivity" is about half way down.

bombshell

It's possible, but we can see a lot of what's there. The completion percentage in the three categories is what it is, and that third category is literally just follow the apex markers alone on tracks.

A lot? We can see exactly 25% of what the mission challenge category events are. How did you tell what the remaining 75% events are? The 8 events in row 6 are very fun race events, so why can most of the 6 inaccessible rows of events not be the same fun races?

Here, so, the full release won’t have us waiting 15 minutes for matches will it? Like, surely more than 3 options at a time, no?

Who knows? Right now it fits exactly so that you can enter a Sport race and it will end a few minutes before the next, so when you've entered one you can keep going between races with very little down time.

For now in the demo, if you want online races at random times go seek out a suitable lobby in the Lobby mode.

Went from P8 to P3 on my first race. Very happy with that. Second race I started on second and managed to hold my position until the end. This game is a blast to play. Can't wait to drive on Mount Panorama and Interlagos.

It's kind of odd, you have to actually go load up a race first. Once you're at the pre-race menu, go to Driving Options, then scroll down to Advanced Settings at the bottom. "Controller Steering Sensitivity" is about half way down.

Ahh thanks! Yeah, that's...kind of a weird spot to put it. I bumped it to 4 and wow, it makes a big difference in feel. (somehow I was able to play through a Custom Race before it figured out I was offline and shut me out)

nikos

Someone in chat decided to tell me I sucked because I had the best qualifying lap time. I went on to win the race. It was nice to see the shit talking start already. Gets the competitive spirit going.

bombshell

Is the NA server down? I can't connect to save or even read the news updates.
edit: UGH, their site says they're down for maintenance from 10-11pm PST. great plan, doing maintenance at primetime on the west coast...

Is that not past prime time?

Worldwide maintenance windows will always be at a more problematic time in some parts of the world than in others. It's just one hour and they communicated the maintenance via the in game news many hours ago.

I had no idea you could use the turn signal by clicking either side of the touchpad. Amazing touch.

I'm gonna try to use that to signal to other drivers I'm gonna let them pass if I see them approaching for an overtake. Hopefully that'll make for even smoother racing.

I know this game doesn't have a career mode, but I think between the Circuit Experience and missions and options for custom races in Arcade I'll be able to fashion one for myself with my own preferred settings. I can even take the dailies as suggestions towards that if I need inspiration.

Honestly, the lack of a career bothered me at first, but when I think about it I can't point to one that I found memorable - they're pretty much a collection of events strung together, but with some forced variety and maybe some introductory cutscenes. If the heart of the driving is solid that can be worked out, and the natural progression would be the cars I unlock from winnings in Arcade mode.

Have there been any truly memorable career modes in a sim racer like this?

bombshell

I had no idea you could use the turn signal by clicking either side of the touchpad. Amazing touch.

I'm gonna try to use that to signal to other drivers I'm gonna let them pass if I see them approaching for an overtake. Hopefully that'll make for even smoother racing.

I'm going to start using the hazard lights (mid touchpad, correct?) to indicate to them "don't even bother trying overtaking me, noobs" ;)

I'm going to start using the hazard lights (mid touchpad, correct?) to indicate to them "don't even bother trying overtaking me, noobs" ;)
Dunno, didn't even know you could engage the hazard lights, only either turn signal individually. Gonna try that after work.

Man, this game is fucking ace online. Just read my previous posts in this thread if you don't believe I was really skeptical, but god damn. I especially would have never guessed I'd like an online racing mode this much.

Can't wait to try VR. I'm probably going to live in this game for several months.

Is that not past prime time?

Worldwide maintenance windows will always be at a more problematic time in some parts of the world than in others. It's just one hour and they communicated the maintenance via the in game news many hours ago.

If I remember, MGSV had a maintenance window around 1 or 2am PST. That makes more sense. Most everyone in NA is asleep, Europe is just getting up. 10pm for me is like, I finally finished work, had some dinner, and ready to play for an hour or two. Hopefully this maintenance schedule doesn't continue with the full game.

Crayon

I think I'm starting to come around to the car list and selection.

"Featured car -> gr.4 version -> gr.3 version"...

...as a template of how to "completely" feature a car and it's potential from stock to highly tuned is smart.

All of the old tuning options and settings are in the game untouched, but gone is the window dressing of going to trd or ralliart and purchasing the part to unlock the setting. (Buy racing tires to fit racing tires, buy suspension to twiddle these dials, etc.)

Except for that one tuning option that was not like the others: Racing Modification. The one that transformed the car. Available for every car in the ps1 days, this was phased out as it amounted to somewhat reimplimenting a car in the game. Extra work that could be put towards adding more increasingly complex car models.

Now, many of the featured cars have one or two racing versions. Each is developed by the PD team to participate in fictional racing classes designed as an esport by pd.

There really are only 60 unique cars or so. There's a gt86, a gr.4 version and gr.3 version and they are very much the same car. The detail and depth of each racing mod is exquisite tho, and really does make that models representation in the game very full and realistic. Realistic in the sense that, a production car in race preparation is realistically a different car than the one that rolls off the line.

If they do add for example a classic nsx to this game, it would be realized like no game before and not just with the most detailed model of an nsx ever, but two or three of the best models of an nsx ever. That and an actual in-sim development by polyphony up to a level of prep that is good for one of the game's racing classes.

So I can kinda see how they couldn't get on with the last gens supposedly future proofed premium cars. These are far more detailed by virtue of being presented in multiple states of prep.

I love this game so far. My one major mark against it is the car selection being thin. Like I said to begin with, I'm starting to appreciate what they did here. If they add back my favorite cars, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

benzy

Strange enough is L3 using my wheel, and nowhere to be found using the Dualshock. It is missing totally when you setup your controller. I asked the same thing few pages back.

Yea, weird it's not in the ds4 settings.

PD needs to release some rain footage.

emjot

One little detail I always liked about GT and the missions/license tests: The time rallyes with traffic are so well done. The cars always have a pattern and only if you're fast enough and drive clean, you can find a path through them that let's you get to the finish in time.

Demo really is great, that game went miles from the first closed beta to the final product. i haven't even touched on the sport mode again just yet, just doing missions and driving school. I just hope there's enough "meat" on that part in the final release, but I can see it all coming together now. There really is a focus on educating the uses to race and put them in clean online races, hope that works out.
It's a risky bet, but the foundation is there.

pixelation

Dammit guys! This thread plus the Impressions thread over at GT Planet pushed me over the edge and made me buy my first PS4 console. I was gonna stick to just Forza, PCars2 and AC for now, but....couldn't resist! My wallet
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

ONE OF US!, ONE OF US!!!
enjoy dude!

Makikou

I wish they didnt do all this concept car / fake GT3 car garbage.

Just have the real cars in there and focus on simulating those the best.

I love this game so far. My one major mark against it is the car selection being thin. Like I said to begin with, I'm starting to appreciate what they did here. If they add back my favorite cars, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

The classes make sense, I've no problem with that. But I haven't seen anyone yet say they like the rally mode. I mean I guess Kaz does for some reason, but IMO they should've scrapped that and focused their energies on road and track racing.

I do miss taking a cheap car and upgrading it. It was like leveling up your car, and I liked tweaking the upgrades until it felt balanced. It was a more populist approach. Now it seems focused on mostly expensive cars, where the DIY aspect is pretty much taken out. I can get why they did that for the esports route, but I think when people say they miss the career mode, that rags-to-riches upgrade system is part of that loss.

bombshell

Servers are back up. There's a kart race available at Kyoto Driving Park in Sport Mode.

Oh, I need to try that one.

On another note there was some talk earlier in the thread to what use buying cars was for since the person who asked had noticed that Sport races provided the cars. Well, last night one of the three races was with garage cars, so owning cars will also be necessary in some Sport races, like it's necessary in lobbies.

Vuci

The classes make sense, I've no problem with that. But I haven't seen anyone yet say they like the rally mode. I mean I guess Kaz does for some reason, but IMO they should've scrapped that and focused their energies on road and track racing.

I do miss taking a cheap car and upgrading it. It was like leveling up your car, and I liked tweaking the upgrades until it felt balanced. It was a more populist approach. Now it seems focused on mostly expensive cars, where the DIY aspect is pretty much taken out. I can get why they did that for the esports route, but I think when people say they miss the career mode, that rags-to-riches upgrade system is part of that loss.

I like the rally mode! The track I played looked bad though.

ty_hot

Went from P8 to P3 on my first race. Very happy with that. Second race I started on second and managed to hold my position until the end. This game is a blast to play. Can't wait to drive on Mount Panorama and Interlagos.
Challenge 6-2 is in Interlagos. Go try it, it's incredible.

John Wick

I know this game doesn't have a career mode, but I think between the Circuit Experience and missions and options for custom races in Arcade I'll be able to fashion one for myself with my own preferred settings. I can even take the dailies as suggestions towards that if I need inspiration.

Honestly, the lack of a career bothered me at first, but when I think about it I can't point to one that I found memorable - they're pretty much a collection of events strung together, but with some forced variety and maybe some introductory cutscenes. If the heart of the driving is solid that can be worked out, and the natural progression would be the cars I unlock from winnings in Arcade mode.

Have there been any truly memorable career modes in a sim racer like this?

What's your take on the demo so far? I'm well impressed. I didn't think PD would pull it off but the demo has convinced me to buy this day1. I'm really enjoying the handling model.

I wish they didnt do all this concept car / fake GT3 car garbage.

Just have the real cars in there and focus on simulating those the best.
I hear you, especially since many of them look silly or ugly. On the flip side though, the Vision GT stuff effectively gave us the Bugatti Chiron, so I'm guessing PD are pretty chuffed with it.

What's your take on the demo so far? I'm well impressed. I didn't think PD would pull it off but the demo has convinced me to buy this day1. I'm really enjoying the handling model.
I went from very little interest - well I guess enough interest to download the demo - to a buy so quickly I could have pulled a muscle. It just feels so perfect on the dualshocks, and its polished to a shine everywhere else. The UI is exquisite, both game menus and when racing. It may not have the greatest graphics I've ever seen, but man is it clean, and that's important when you spend so much time looking far down the track for the next apex. Other games tend to have more visual noise, made worse when you've got a lot of dynamic shadows criss-crossing the track. Yeah, there's not a lot of tracks or cars compared to the competition, but if the moment to moment is quality I don't really mind that much -- and the car selection in GTs always felt a bit weird to me (OK, somebody likes Skylines), and I avoided all the non-premiums as it was (cockpit view only for me), so the car collection aspect isn't something I really need.

Track selection could get to me over time though - but I do still have Project Cars 2 if that ends up rubbing me the wrong way.

And man, I can't wait to try out GTS versions of the Nurburgring and Bathurst.

Putty

I went from very little interest - well I guess enough interest to download the demo - to a buy so quickly I could have pulled a muscle. It just feels so perfect on the dualshocks, and its polished to a shine everywhere else. It may not have the greatest graphics I've ever seen, but man is it clean, and that's important when you spend so much time looking far down the track for the next apex. Other games tend to have more visual noise, amde worse when you've got a lot of dynamic shadows criss-crossing the track. Yeah, there's not a lot of tracks or cars compared to the competition, but if the moment to moment is quality I don't really mind that much -- and the car selection in GTs always felt a bit weird to me (OK, somebody likes Skylines), and I avoided all the non-premiums as it was, so the car collection aspect isn't something I require.

Track selection could get to me over time though - but I do still have Project Cars 2 if that ends up rubbing me the wrong way.

And man, I can't wait to try out GTS versions of the Nurburgring and Bathurst.

Whats your PSN tag Null? I'm sure i've got you already mind...

Makikou

I hear you, especially since many of them look silly or ugly. On the flip side though, the Vision GT stuff effectively gave us the Bugatti Chiron, so I'm guessing PD are pretty chuffed with it.

Guess so, I just like my "authentic" grids even though even this one in the spoiler is not perfect (older LMP2 car vs new GTE/GT3)

22382190_1494850317276158_3816845435912947928_o.jpg

Top Bottom