• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

Unknown?

No crashes for me, and only a little stutter on a few races on vanilla PS4. Hit level 11 and I've cleared most of what's available in the demo. I'm...less sold than I was a week ago? Nothing bad, they checked a lot of the underlying boxes.

"Less sold" being a figure of speech; I'm still sold, just underwhelmed with what the actual experience is so far. When the highlight of the available solo stuff really is knocking over 100 cones or starting at the back of a pack and getting in front of it over a quarter of a track, it's hard to really get excited about what racing is there. The actual racing is fine.

Am I totally off-base that someone could easily gold-clear this game in a day or two?
I don’t think so, not if they have more than a couple endurance races. I’m sure there are more than what we have.

1cgqoj.png

2neq5a.png

Gestault

I don’t think so, not if they have more than a couple endurance races. I’m sure there are more than what we have.

It's possible, but we can see a lot of what's there. The completion percentage in the three categories is what it is, and that third category is literally just follow the apex markers alone on tracks.

shandy706

shandy706 said:
Crossing my fingers on a Mustang then, lol. Is it in the arcade mode?

Ive seen it somewhere in a car select menu, just can't remember where exactly. There's also both the standard road Mustang GT (5.0) and the GT3 version.

Check this Luck on my opening gift car!!

20171010_195759r7kio.jpg

The Mustang looks great in the opening area.

"Gameplay graphics" wise though....Man, the graphics (environment) are really, really, bad on the first (test track).

On another positive note, I've gotten gold in every driver's test on my first try so far. Doing it with the three star difficulty, I don't remember what that was called LOL.

Gestault

On another positive note, I've gotten gold in every driver's test on my first try so far. Doing it with the three star difficulty, I don't remember what that was called LOL.

I think I'm gold on all but one even at this point. I wanna say GT PSP was harder than this.

Edit: That's a lie, there are at least three silvers for me.

Edit 2: Dammit, and a bronze. I'm a trashman.

wrongway

Havin a good time with this as a casual racing guy. I don't think I've actually managed to play a GT game since maybe the early PS2 days, which seems like a real shame in retrospect because this is pretty lovely. I don't know enough about serious racing sims to really critique the model, but I'm trying to play with minimal assists and it certainly feels really good to me so far. And the cockpit camera is on point for me. First-person view in most racing games I've played gives me the sensation that I'm driving a vague box around instead of a car. This gives me a pretty pronounced sense of spacial awareness that leaves me feeling comfortable driving in close proximity to other cars for a change.

The crazy McLaren (concept car?) for challenge 6-4 is absurd. This must be what Batman drives on track day.
"Gran Turismo Sport |OT| Here I am, on the road again" That's all I got. Thanks, Bob.

Unknown?

It's possible, but we can see a lot of what's there. The completion percentage in the three categories is what it is, and that third category is literally just follow the apex markers alone on tracks.
Can we? We only have access to one two rows in missions. One row in driving school.

dugdug

Banned
Here, so, the full release won’t have us waiting 15 minutes for matches will it? Like, surely more than 3 options at a time, no?

John Wick

Just tried it. Are people seriously liking this?

I was a huge GT fan since the first one all the way to GT5 but as soon as I started to play this one I was met with a very weird sensation.

First, the game has no speed. It seems very slow and the driving response of the cars is akin to an anvil on wheels. Seriously, I can't believe how bad the whole thing rubbed off on me.

I've been playing driveclub for the past year and I think that's how a racing game should feel. Responsive, fun, speeding sensation.

No doubt GT is gorgeous but on everything else I was really disappointed.

You must be playing a totally different game to me then. The Demo is fantastic and i think GT Sport is gonna be great.

cakely

Check this Luck on my opening gift car!!

The Mustang looks great in the opening area.

"Gameplay wise though....Man, the graphics (environment) are really, really, bad on the first (test track).

Heh, you got exactly what you wanted. Nice luck.

Did the level 6 last 30 lap endurance challenge to get bronze but man it sucks to spin out on the last lap after holding it together for 45 whole minutes, entering the last lap in 2nd place tying too hard to reach the lead car.

Gestault

Did the level 6 last 30 lap endurance challenge to get bronze but man it sucks to spin out on the last lap after holding it together for 45 whole minutes, entering the last lap in 2nd place tying too hard to reach the lead car.

It sort of plays out more like a game of "Clue" than a strategic race. The victim is you, with the subaru, in the last bend.

spwolf

a. finally set up my gimx and g25, took an hour to get it right but it works fine (issue with cables). Works great, but I need some longer cables for my ds4.

b. Tried quickly some online race:
1. Netcode is crazy good. I was racing people from USA and Brasil and you could not notice any lag (there had to be some, since we were at least 500-600ms away). Old GTs had crap netcode.

2. It was fun. Completely not competitive for me, did not know the track, still a lot of fun...

Pre Ordered, will play a ton of this... with this and PES, thats likely it for me this year.

Gestault

In bumper cam, is the shadow on the sides when you're next to a car a visual aid or is it my tv's local dimming going nuts?

No, that's in-game. The effect isn't really subtle, it sort of "clicks" on and off. It does mean a car is there, though somtimes it seems random (i.e., no cars behind me). I checked a few races.

Ij9KJlV.gif

I really like the chill atmosphere of the Sport mode now that I've finally played it. Practicing to get a better qualifying lap time is actually really nice, and I wonder how this will be used to assist in matchmaking, too.

On pro with 4K and HDR the quality is excellent. Smooth. No jaggies. You could not ask for better really.

I don't much like the rally driving. The car is in perpetual 4 wheel skid / ballet, i never feel the tires lock into the ground the way dirt 4 does. The same for drift. It breaks traction and then never finds it again. One tap of the e brake or flick and it's disconnected. Dabbing the brakes seems to help stabilise - but this doesn't feel right.

The oval in the demo is ludicrous, ridiculously small. I don't think NASCAR fans will be impressed with any realism for oval racing.

The licenses are boring as F as usual and start way too slowly like 12 "lessons" to reach the "challenge" of one flat out corner? And I expect a bazillion retries to get some later golds finding that perfect control input.

The hood driving view is strangely high - like I am in an SUV yet can see the hood of a racing car,

Love the career challenges and course challenges though.

Too many loading visual distractions: spinning cursors, rotating 3D cars, animated engines. Loading time isn't bad but they sure like to draw attention to it.

For some reason the music while driving sounds like a cheap transistor radio. Not sure why.

No, that's in-game. The effect isn't really subtle, it sort of "clicks" on and off. It does mean a car is there, though somtimes it seems random (i.e., no cars behind me). I checked a few races.

Ij9KJlV.gif

I thought it was g forces. Like a black out. It only happens on tighter turns for me.

Between this game and Project Cars 2 and Dirt 4 I feel pretty damn well covered for sim racers. GTS for smooth-driving class in crystal clarity, PCars 2 for messy beast-mode with its snarling cars and dynamic conditions, and Dirt 4 to have some dude screaming numbers at me while I try not to speed off a cliff and explode into a forest in some procedural gravel-scape. Win-win-win.

Stoop Man

Hey, pro tip for all you guys struggling with a pad! I was constantly struggling to make second to last of the qualifying laps, and not being dead last in the actual races themselves. turns out my R2 button is messed up! Instead of going full throttle I'm only giving it 90% or so! So if you're having trouble, switch to the face buttons and see if that helps.

I really should've suspected something when I did the first drivers test. The test is literally "go full throttle" and I barely made bronze!

Crayon

That r2 button is janky. My first one got squeeky and funny feeling after very little use. I have one of the revised ones as well and it seems alright. I don't use the triggers anyhow. I use the right stick.

Edit: o and this is the first GT where I can't map a second brake button. I guess not a lot of people do this but I miss it.

Right stick is the only way to play with controller the fine control of accelerator is too good way better than trigger and with the ds4 it's infinitely better too great sensitivity and precision plus gt always has fantastic pad controls.

Top Bottom