• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

I think I'm sold on the game... I do wish it had a lot more cars (disappointing lack of luxury sedans), and I sort of feel like it's not the type of game I will play 24/7 for a few weeks at launch. The story or career mode is still decent but I do think I'd prefer if it had the same style/amount of 'Cups' as the classic GT games.

But the MP is what won me over... I've had enough fun doing practice runs, competing over lap times, and races in those drop in game lobbies, and the general sort of 'track' experience that -- despite what I said about feeling like there wasn't enough content to play 24/7 at release -- I also feel like it's the type of game I really want to play daily for 30m for the rest of the year. Slowly practicing, perfecting my times, learning my favorite cars, and just the general sportsmanship of doing track times with other car enthusiasts.

farisr

What are people thoughts on rally in this game? Never played dirt rally and it took me awhile to get the hang of rally in this but I actually really enjoy it.
Personally, never been crazy about rally in GT games. I always avoided the rally license whenever playing through the games, and would only boot up rally races in 2p splitscreen for kicks at just how crazy it controlled rather than actual fun from the gameplay. Don't really feel any different about it in this game, except maybe even worse now that it's part of the main challenges rather than something that was a specialized out of the way category before.
So I downloaded this and played 40 minutes before it crashed and force closed (Pro here).

As a long term GT fan (since GT1!) I can say that this absolutely confirms my worst fears for the game's direction. I really dislike the online races, while the 'campaign' events are just the exact same licence tests from the PS1 and PS2 days. I don't mean similar, I mean they are the same tests from the old games with better graphics.
While a good amount of them are basically lifted straight from the license tests (especially driving school), they do turn into events like the additional missions in GT4 and the later events in GT5 Prologue, that have actual races. Still not a replacement for career imo as I feel they were suited for what their original purpose was in the first place (additional challenges on top of an existing career mode and something to tide you over in a prologue). But still not every event is the exact same as the license tests.
I'm not crazy about the physics or handling either.
Can't really agree with you there, aside from rally related stuff, to me this is the best feeling game in the console sim genre.
Downloading Forza 7 demo at the moment.
I personally found the physics/gameplay to not feel all that great in Forza 7, but our preferences clearly don't align as is clear with your physics.handling thoughts about GT. So I sincerely wish you the best of luck there. I wish I found FM7's gameplay to be fun, because then I would just buy that game and not bother with GT anymore if they keep going in this direction. But then again it has that lootbox crap so even if I did like it I wouldn't buy it unless that part of the game changed. Oh well. Either way, best of luck to you again.

I think I'm sold on the game... I do wish it had a lot more cars (disappointing lack of luxury sedans), and I sort of feel like it's not the type of game I will play 24/7 for a few weeks at launch. The story or career mode is still decent but I do think I'd prefer if it had the same style/amount of 'Cups' as the classic GT games.

Those cars that you typically associate with the series are coming

I am planning to add it by update or download contents. The reason why sports cars, especially racing cars, was needed from the beginning was that we had to prepare all the categories of race cars for the FIA ​​championship this time. At first glance it seems that the gravity is inclined to that, but not only sports cars, but also old cars, family cars everyone carries, or old classic cars, such cars are also important as ‘Gran Turismo’ Because it exists, I want to add more and more.

https://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-yamauchi-gt-sport-will-feature-wider-variety-cars-launch/

Those cars that you typically associate with the series are coming
Yeah was sort of why I'm sold on it, even if I plan to just play casually, I still want to be there at release.... I think the game modes are well positioned for future content or tools, e.g. calendar based events, e.g. real 'Sunday Cups,' or more tools for player-made races, tournaments, cups, etc, and obviously cars, too. Is why I'm not as worried about content per se, and mostly the general presentation and 'feel' of the game and its 'track' MP is what I'm sold on.

Yeah was sort of why I'm sold on it, even if I plan to just play casually, I still want to be there at release.... I think the game modes are well positioned for future content or tools, e.g. calendar based events, e.g. real 'Sunday Cups,' or more tools for player-made races, tournaments, cups, etc, and obviously cars, too. Is why I'm not as worried about content per se, and mostly the general presentation and 'feel' of the game and its 'track' MP is what I'm sold on.

It really seems like Kaz/PD has built a "platform" that's intended to last a while. Still no word on DLC, but the lack of a paid-for, predefined season pass has actually put me at ease.

(And of course, this comes on the heels of that "games as service" discussion.)

Syntsui

These missions are insanely hard even for the franchise standards, I don't remember having this much difficulty in GT4-5. So far I could only get gold on the first one with the 180° turns. (stage 6, as stage 1 was pretty easy)

Maybe it's because I'm finally playing it the one true way and I have to say I'm pretty proud I'm doing everything with no assissts + manual, that's something I could never do before. That said, Black Friday can't come soon enough.

How much will they cost? That's the question. I'm assuming they will charge for tracks and cars. It would be nice if they were free, but Kaz's racing career isn't going to fund itself :p

I have to say I'm a convert though. Even playing in lobbies where the nearest person to me is over 7,500km away (the nearest servers are 8,000km away anyway)," the online experience has been flawless. I'll be picking this up at launch.

dugdug

Banned
Kinda unrelated, but, the cancel/back button noise sounds just like the cancel/back sound from Silent Hill, and I choose to believe it’s on purpose.

v1lla21

Hadn't played since tuesday so i went back in today straight to Sport mode and oh boy do i love the karts. Guy touches me and i lose control but also get penalized :( Was it my fault or his?
Hit is a bit after 1:53

any tips/pointers yall can give me?

How much will they cost? That's the question. I'm assuming they will charge for tracks and cars. It would be nice if they were free, but Kaz's racing career isn't going to fund itself :p

I have to say I'm a convert though. Even playing in lobbies where the nearest person to me is over 7,500km away (the nearest servers are 8,000km away anyway)," the online experience has been flawless. I'll be picking this up at launch.

They haven't actually talked about how DLC will be handled yet. GT5 had your standard DLC where you bought packs while in GT6 everything was free. Cars, tracks, modes etc.

GHG

Gold Member
Hadn't played since tuesday so i went back in today straight to Sport mode and oh boy do i love the karts. Guy touches me and i lose control but also get penalized :( Was it my fault or his?
Hit is a bit after 1:53

any tips/pointers yall can give me?

You didn't know he was there right?

Because it looks like you moved towards him as you were moving back over to the racing line and unintentionally took him out.

For the karts, because they have no mirrors in cockpit view, turn on the proximity sensor on in the HUD so that you can have an idea of what's around you.

Aenima

What are the requirements for the Daily Workout. I just get them, but still liked to track how far i am to get them in other days.

Scapes is insane.
It's like endless bedroom wall poster generation.

Judging by the public galleries most people haven't figured you can put the cars into motion then have a panning camera setting to blur the background to make endless action shots.

Would like option to add tire marks or smoke though.

I really like the presentation and the game controls very well. I went back and booted up Drive Club just to compare, and that sense of speed is far better than GTS. In Drive Club, there's a feeling of fear and exhilaration going around the track. This seems a bit tame in that regard.

Has anyone tried the motion controls yet? I've been messing with them for the better part of an hour and am having a blast.

I actually think they're more precise than the stick/D-pad?

Had a good time today and pulled the trigger on preordering. Looking forward to some (clean) racing with GAF.

SR system is still making me salty though lol. Tokyo Expressway with Gr1 cars was awful. I think I got hit or nudged to have my SR go down around 10 times just in the first lap. Super frustrating. Conversely though I qualified in 3rd for the Gr4 at Interlagos and had a perfectly clean race. Position makes a huge difference haha

Crayon

Has anyone tried the motion controls yet? I've been messing with them for the better part of an hour and am having a blast.

I actually think they're more precise than the stick/D-pad?

I was meaning to try that but I think Ill have to wait for release. They should be more accurate. You get a physically larger motion to control than a tiny thumbstick. That F1 ps3 launch game from Studio Liverpool had a very good motion steering scheme. Too bad everyone hate moving their hands so much.

Tokyo expressway I was ready to accept my SR to drop down to D, lol. Im pretty surprised that its I got blue in that track. Got pretty violent bump from behind 2 or 3 times I think

Crayon

Damn maybe I can try this tokyo expressway race before bed tonite and see how my sr fairs... I'm morbidly curious.

These missions are insanely hard even for the franchise standards, I don't remember having this much difficulty in GT4-5. So far I could only get gold on the first one with the 180° turns. (stage 6, as stage 1 was pretty easy)

Maybe it's because I'm finally playing it the one true way and I have to say I'm pretty proud I'm doing everything with no assissts + manual, that's something I could never do before. That said, Black Friday can't come soon enough.

Yeah, the Stage 6 races are quite hard. I wish that the Campaign missions had more info. Like I just raced on Tokyo and lost, but wanted to see my lap times to see how I improved. They don't exist, as far as I could see. I'd love to see sector by sector breakdowns even. Give us more tools to improve.

I find the timing of online races really annoying. If you miss qualifying, you have to wait 20 minutes, then 20 more minutes for another round of qualifying, And the three races aren't even staggered. They need a race starting every 15 minutes at least.

I3rand0

These Stage 6 missions are brutal to Gold. They really need to adjust the requirements because some of these require perfection and the AI is always out to screw you over.

Crayon

You've got a death wish...

tenor.gif

Fuck this game.

The endurance mission is driving me nuts because the AI really likes to hit me from behind and make me spin.

I saw a guy on Reddit post this pic as an example of how close he came to winning the Lake Maggiore 30 lap race

j3f6ltrftspq.jpg

I would've been fucking fuming.

Fredrik

Enjoying this a lot, even though I've only played against AI.

It's OK, the full game comes out in 5-6 days.
This is the worst idea ever, much worse than the worthless limited run demos Nintendo has done, I've only had time to start it twice, 43gb download for playing it two times! :(
And I'm in no way sure that I'm going to buy this after playing it so little, I'm definitely warming up to it but if they stop me from playing it now then I'll probably climb up on the fence again, possibly grumpier than before :(

Vuci

I was so scared I wouldn't be drawn to the multiplayer component, but this game is incredible. I've played a few games, but they were all exciting and fun. With almost everyone playing relatively considerate, besides some overzealous players that rammed into me or caused some collisions. The penalty system seems fair and I never got docked any points when I was the victim of someone bumping into me.

Just a great experience all around. Oh and the karting is so much fun!

My only wish is that this had more 'consumer grade' cars, which is what I always liked about the GT series.

v1lla21

You didn't know he was there right?

Because it looks like you moved towards him as you were moving back over to the racing line and unintentionally took him out.

For the karts, because they have no mirrors in cockpit view, turn on the proximity sensor on in the HUD so that you can have an idea of what's around you.

no I didnt, thanks will do.

I'm so pissed. I finally got a 44.7 kart lap time, a big improvement for me. Placed 3rd in qualifying. On that first twist that heads down to the straight, the guy in 2nd who I had passed decided to slam into me, pushed me off the track and I spun out. Went down to 7th place by the time I got going again. Started passing another guy and he repeatedly slammed into me from the side until I spun out again. Ended up in 14th. Agh! Oh, and it also counted those slams on me as SR penalties.

This is why I hate online racing!!

Kashiwaba

I'm so pissed. I finally got a 44.7 kart lap time, a big improvement for me. Placed 3rd in qualifying. On that first twist that heads down to the straight, the guy in 2nd who I had passed decided to slam into me, pushed me off the track and I spun out. Went down to 7th place by the time I got going again. Started passing another guy and he repeatedly slammed into me from the side until I spun out again. Ended up in 14th. Agh! Oh, and it also counted those slams on me as SR penalties.

This is why I hate online racing!!

I suggest working on your SR first before getting too competitive in races, cuz once you have a good SR you will play with people who try to play clean and keep their SR clean.

Damn maybe I can try this tokyo expressway race before bed tonite and see how my sr fairs... I'm morbidly curious.

I am not sure if the demo online races change from day to day, but if it's the same event I did two days ago, I felt that the modestly powered compact Honda they let you drive was very easy to manage distance with. My SR generally went up during that event.

It was the speedway event that really caused my SR to plummet. I tend to believe that due to my very careful driving in the first two events, I was on the cusp of upgrading to A, but thanks to a single run of that speedway event, I dropped to C. :( Kept hitting people who would make erratic movements that I was lapping -- they were struggling on corners, hence why they were so far behind. I had first place for a couple of laps, then got overtaken just as I started adjusting my speed as me and 2nd place racer started to approach our first lapped racers. I got hungry to retake 1st and threw caution to the wind a bit. Ended up getting 2nd place by what I recall being a 14 second difference -- absolutely huge -- because of how many lapped racers were just all over the road and causing me to collide with them, even as I tried my best to start being more cautious again. Felt bad, man.

Matush

Out of 3 times I wanted to try out the game, two times I wasn't able to connect to servers and third time game crashed on me twice.

Really great first impressions I got out of it...

I suggest working on your SR first before getting too competitive in races, cuz once you have a good SR you will play with people who try to play clean and keep their SR clean.

Honestly I don't think they should allow people to race online in events they aren't qualified for. I don't know if that would be gated by driving level or maybe buy winning Gold in an AI race on that track/class first, but it would cut down on this stuff. I'm in class C for SR right now and on this kart racing it's about as bad as the speedway in terms of people veering out of control. They haven't exactly put events up that lend themselves to clean SR. I mean, that Tokyo track with those cars? It's a pinball machine.

IMO they should've put more entry-level online events up for the demo.

wrongway

Whew. After a few false starts with learning the track and getting PIT maneuvered into oblivion, I finished that 30-lap endurace challenge, and came in 2nd. Wasn't quite as exciting of a finish as the one posted above, but I'm happy with it. :D

my hands are so fucking sweaty right now, ew

I assume the etiquette section that's currently greyed-out in the Sport mode will allow people to level-up their ratings without having to race in online pinball.

the_big_country

Neo Member
I mean, that Tokyo track with those cars? It's a pinball machine.
One Tokyo race I was in today ended up with 6 cars not having post-race penalties. That being said, the worst for SR was Suzuka East with the rally cars. You can at least pass on Tokyo - there's no room to pass on Suzuka East with those cars.

I adore those karts. Reminds me of NASCAR restricted plate racing in how quickly everything can go to hell in a pack, and you're really on a knife-edge with track limits and the kerbs. But man, when you get everything right it's so good.

Crayon

Well shit. I was practicing on the Tokyo race too much and missed the entry. I have to go to bed.

I can see it's a dangerous track with dangerous cars tho (speed-wise, that is. My nismo was a pussycat otherwise.) Maybe would want to avoid that sort of thing with the b group.

Any assists? What’s your setup? I turned everything but countersteer and ABS (weak) off and started going inside some of the suggested lines, braking less, and got more aggressive after that last sharp turn. Mid 44’s are typical with that setup.

That seemed to do the trick. I turned ASM off and dropped my lap time from a 44.9 to a 43.8.

Just finished a video on this game and it's the first one I've made entirely in HDR. I just can't get over how good the HDR implementation is here. Truly the best I've seen and it's not even close.
Totally. As someone who has one of the lower end HDR TVs with low peak HDR brightness, I appreciate how game let's you change your HDR settings in-game and it looks totally badass compared to other HDR games.

Codeblew

So I downloaded this and played 40 minutes before it crashed and force closed (Pro here).

As a long term GT fan (since GT1!) I can say that this absolutely confirms my worst fears for the game's direction. I really dislike the online races, while the 'campaign' events are just the exact same licence tests from the PS1 and PS2 days. I don't mean similar, I mean they are the same tests from the old games with better graphics.

I'm not crazy about the physics or handling either.

Looks amazing graphically of course.

I'm going to give it a miss.

Downloading Forza 7 demo at the moment.

Basic driving skills down change from year to year or even decade to decade.

Top Bottom