• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

HDM

Yeah, I can't save. 48 hours of this nightmare. Don't want to turn the game off and the frigging demo ends soon.

Ah ok.
Each time i was leaving the game like every other game. I was thinking that the game was saving some data on hdd (the save is 300Mo), and other on GT servers.

Glad i'm not doing pre-orders anymore.

Aenima

I saw a guy on Reddit post this pic as an example of how close he came to winning the Lake Maggiore 30 lap race

j3f6ltrftspq.jpg

I would've been fucking fuming.

That BMW Driver is a dick.

I was in my lap 25, went for a pit stop to change tires and refuel for the last 5 laps, got out of the pit stop and i was still in 4th place, that guy cames from behind me and just trew me off the track droping me to 11th place, i still managed to climb back to 3rd place but would probably had won the race if was not for that car. :p

Since NASCAR is under FIA (please CMIIW) we may see a hope.
NASCAR is not part of the FIA umbrella organization. Participating in those series and even winning those championships count absolutely zero toward earning a super license. Virtually every other major (and minor) championship on the planet conforms to FIA standards so it always sticks out. It's not necessarily because of what tracks they drive and the disciplines, but it'd force a bunch of rule changes and safety standards that NASCAR is too lazy/cheap to adjust to.

Though... there are tracks that'd suit the stock cars. Short track stock car stuff is wildly hectic and contact is... common. Expecting players to avoid all contact with zippy GT3 cars on that track is ridiculous. It's not built for that.

WoolyNinja

I've found that I get dizzy/motion sickness ONLY from the trials. There's a flash of white light at the end when I get a medal and for some reason that transition is setting something off. Tonight I was able to drive a ton of Sport races and had almost no issues (and even won a karting race). So weird that a simple flash of light can fuck me up.

My only racing related complaint is the SR rating. Most times when I'm penalized I'm correctly slowing into a corner and get smashed into which sends me into a wall. It happened four times in a race and I'm demoted to C rank. Yay! Then I have two clean races in C and still stuck in C?

Anyway, hopefully in the long run they improve upon the system some. I love the idea but think it needs some tweaking.

wrongway

Yay, I managed to catch that kart race before the beta ended. And I even won!

I only won because the guy I was chasing the whole race swung into me on the very last turn and wiped himself out. :(

Sorely tempted to get this at launch. I'm pretty sure I've already played more of this demo than I have of some full games.

bombshell

A Promise of Greatness
Completed any Driving School challenge at least one second faster than the Gold time

Hmm, hopefully there's one where that will not be too much of a problem.

Master of Manners
Unlocked Sport Mode after Completing all Racing Etiquette Lessons.

This one is interesting, hopefully being forced to learn about racing etiquette will remove most of the online shitheads. Who am I kidding...

Souvenir from Le Mans
Took a Scapes shot featuring the Circuit de la Sarthe and the Audi R18 (Audi Sport Team Joest)

Oh come on PD! If la Sarthe is not coming soon after launch, and preferably as a free track, then this is just taking the piss putting this in as a trophy.

Well shit. I was practicing on the Tokyo race too much and missed the entry. I have to go to bed.

I can see it's a dangerous track with dangerous cars tho (speed-wise, that is. My nismo was a pussycat otherwise.) Maybe would want to avoid that sort of thing with the b group.

Pro tip: You don't have to go into the separate Qualifying session, since doing that doesn't register you for the race enabling you to miss the race entry. Race entry opens 15 minutes before the event starts and by entering you'll also be put in a qualifying session until the race start timer reaches 0. So that way you can qualify without having to worry about quitting out to register.

I find the timing of online races really annoying. If you miss qualifying, you have to wait 20 minutes, then 20 more minutes for another round of qualifying, And the three races aren't even staggered. They need a race starting every 15 minutes at least.

Another tip: When you are satisfied with a qualifying time in a certain Sport mode race, then that time is good for the rest of the day in that particular event. So you don't even have to do a qualifying session each time you want to do a Sport mode race.

I'm wondering how soon we will see the first DLC cars, because as you can see below there are already DLC indicators on the garage car selection screen in the bottom right corner. Not sure what sponsored cars is...

TsPxsAB.png

A Promise of Greatness
Completed any Driving School challenge at least one second faster than the Gold time

Hmm, hopefully there's one where that will not be too much of a problem.

Master of Manners
Unlocked Sport Mode after Completing all Racing Etiquette Lessons.

This one is interesting, hopefully being forced to learn about racing etiquette will remove most of the online shitheads. Who am I kidding...

Souvenir from Le Mans
Took a Scapes shot featuring the Circuit de la Sarthe and the Audi R18 (Audi Sport Team Joest)

Oh come on PD! If la Sarthe is not coming soon after launch, and preferably as a free track, then this is just taking the piss putting this in as a trophy.

Pro tip: You don't have to go into the separate Qualifying session, since doing that doesn't register you for the race enabling you to miss the race entry. Race entry opens 15 minutes before the event starts and by entering you'll also be put in a qualifying session until the race start timer reaches 0. So that way you can qualify without having to worry about quitting out to register.

I'm wondering how soon we will see the first DLC cars, because as you can see below there are already DLC indicators on the garage car selection screen in the bottom right corner. Not sure what sponsored cars is...

TsPxsAB.png

I guess kinda like the Mercs that came to Mario Kart 8 as free DLC

NASCAR is not part of the FIA umbrella organization. Participating in those series and even winning those championships count absolutely zero toward earning a super license. Virtually every other major (and minor) championship on the planet conforms to FIA standards so it always sticks out. It's not necessarily because of what tracks they drive and the disciplines, but it'd force a bunch of rule changes and safety standards that NASCAR is too lazy/cheap to adjust to.

I see, thanks for correction.

WoolyNinja

Kaz just tweeted...

"I was surprised to see over 1 million players off the bat in the Open Beta. #GTsport"

I hope this catches on - they've got something special brewing here. The format for the races is fantastic and so far the matchmaking has been great too.

I love picking the next upcoming race and having a good ten minutes to just drive the track trying to find every ounce of time I can. Then comes warm up where I practice driving with others on the track, then the race. Rinse and repeat. Everybody talks about having to wait to race but I'm enjoying the downtime in between to learn the upcoming track.

Yeah, the Stage 6 races are quite hard. I wish that the Campaign missions had more info. Like I just raced on Tokyo and lost, but wanted to see my lap times to see how I improved. They don't exist, as far as I could see. I'd love to see sector by sector breakdowns even. Give us more tools to improve.

I find the timing of online races really annoying. If you miss qualifying, you have to wait 20 minutes, then 20 more minutes for another round of qualifying, And the three races aren't even staggered. They need a race starting every 15 minutes at least.

Yep, really don't like the timing of the races.

mojo2

Neo Member
Saving worked now! EU server. After more than 48 hours of pain and agony. I never closed the game, only put PS4 on sleep mode, thank god.

bombshell

Saving worked now! EU server. After more than 48 hours of pain and agony. I never closed the game, only put PS4 on sleep mode, thank god.

The manual save? Yeah, never worked for me either, but it saves automatically almost all the time anyway indicated in the bottom right corner.

Hey can someone tell me what I do with duplicate cars I cannot sell? No luck with the gifts here.

Got a duplicate too. It seems nothing can be done in the demo, maybe we can sell them in the full game.

Sigh. It has been fun.

Hoping for a sale soon. They often overstock first party games here so I'm optimistic there'll be a great deal in 2 weeks or so.

Grabbed my copy for £35 a while back, Tesco were doing a deal of 2 preorders for £80 but then a £10 off £75 spend. So preordered Destiny 2 and GT:Sport

You can enter without qualifying. If you miss a race by seconds, it means you have about 15 minutes to do some qualifying laps across all three races (or just for the next race, it's up to you).

By the time you finish a race there's only about 5 minutes before the next race, which is enough time to get in a couple of flying qualifying laps before the next race starts. The whole system works quite well I think, and is quite clever. I don't think it can be done any better.

Solal

Can someone try the BMW M4 with the traction control OFF? It seems to me completely broken: like a piece of soap on an iced track. Undrivable...FFB seems completely dead...unreadable... The car spins at 150km/h if you just tuch the gas...

Seems to me that the FFB and the "feel" relies totally on the aids...and not on the actual car physics.

Am I the only one feeling this way?

On another matter: the graphics are just unbelievable... WAAAAY above the competitors. As expected.

UI is top notch. Very classy but not boring like it used to be. The whole demo seems extremely polished.

Tracks an cars list are a slap in the face though. PD trolling us again.

bombshell

You can enter without qualifying. If you miss a race by seconds, it means you have about 15 minutes to do some qualifying laps across all three races (or just for the next race, it's up to you).

By the time you finish a race there's only about 5 minutes before the next race, which is enough time to get in a couple of flying qualifying laps before the next race starts. The whole system works quite well I think, and is quite clever. I do t think it can be done any better.

To be fair I don't see anything to prevent them having for example 6 races with 10 minute intervals instead or even 12 races with 5 minute intervals. With 6 races the wait time to race start for those that are jumping in to enter their first race of the day would be cut in half.

You are right about that there's practically no wait time when you've done your first Sport race of the day.

Well, I managed the scratch to pick the game up next week -- got it preordered now. This Beta ended up being way more fun than I anticipated from Sport, and seems like it was a super smart move as far as I'm concerned. I even like the multiplayer a whole lot, thanks to many of the anti-jerk measures it has in place. Aside from the earlier objectives of the driving school seeming flat-out dull as usual, seems like this is actually a pretty good package to me. The lack of a structured single player career mode still bums me out a bit, but not nearly as bad as before I played the Beta. Color me genuinely impressed and surprised.

Guess I'll play Forza 7 at work from my laptop and GT Sport on leisure time when I'm at home!

nw3

Yeah I got into 43s
Turn off all the assists, manual gear
Flat out the whole way hug the inside line on the first curve. Everything is about the one corner where you brake and change down twice. I screw that up even for the 43s but you need to not make a hash of that to get setup for the next two corners to get a good go down the straight.. if you ride the curb you lose some oomph
Also I found it helps to turn down the traction control to 1 or 0 except for that one corner then you turn it up to 3.
This on a controller. I think a wheel with better throttle control you can get 43s reliably.

Having a 43 qualifying time puts you in pole a second ahead of anyone else's time .. at least until you get ranked up? Scared the crap out of me because I hadn't raced anyone yet just wanted to get a 43. Of course i spun half way through and finished 8th :(

Nice, thanks for the tips. I'm also running with a controller but automatic. Sounds like it's time to switch to manual now that I'm used to the controls

Flousn

I hate getting rammed into by other drivers online and getting penalized for it.
Have not had a single race without at least once getting rammed so hard that I completely went off-track, even though my main goal right now is not even to win but to race as clean as possible..frustrating

Demo ends at 2pm (BST) for anyone who's wondering. Last chance to get your golds!

That's for all timezones? I think that would mean it ends early morning in NA which doesn't make a lot of sense. I had thought we had the whole day of the 12th to play. :/

By the time you finish a race there's only about 5 minutes before the next race, which is enough time to get in a couple of flying qualifying laps before the next race starts. The whole system works quite well I think, and is quite clever. I don't think it can be done any better.

That wasn't my experience earlier. I was qualifying and had missed race entry. When I went back out to the online menu, all three races said 40 mins until next race start.

I also hope they expand it to more than just three race types a day.

emjot

So...

I just lost all' the progress I've made yesterday :(

Mee too, probably due to the server issues. Tried saving manually several times, but it seems that didn't work either. Why can't they save offline and synchronize to the progress to their servers? Some nice prize cars and credits lost...
Won't get around to play again before the demo ends today. :(

To be fair I don't see anything to prevent them having for example 6 races with 10 minute intervals instead or even 12 races with 5 minute intervals. With 6 races the wait time to race start for those that are jumping in to enter their first race of the day would be cut in half.
They don't want to spread the player base too thin. With 10 minute intervals it means that people who race continuously are skipping half of the races, so the player base is instantly halved. The idea is to have full grids, of players from the same region, running throughout the racing period (which isn't 24 hours in the demo, but I assume will be in the final game).

Even with a huge playerbase, it's very easy to spread it too thin (just look at GTA Online, which is one of the best selling games of all time but can't populate almost all of its online modes, because there are too many). I think PD are (smartly) trying to avoid that.

That wasn't my experience earlier. I was qualifying and had missed race entry. When I went back out to the online menu, all three races said 40 mins until next race start.
Races run every 20 minutes in the demo (during the active racing period).

In terms of qualifying, you can qualify for a race that hasn't opened for entry yet, but you won't automatically be put into the race at starting time if you do that. If you enter a race that has gone into the "open for entry" stage, then you can elect to do qualifying laps after entering, and if you do it that way you'll automatically be put into the race when it starts. You can also enter a race and elect not to do any qualifying laps at all; in that case you'll just be put into the race when it starts and start from the back of the grid.

Mohasus

The rubber banding is strong in the endurance race. Easily 10-15s faster per lap than the rest of the pack when I'm not in first place, but as soon as I'm first, I'm just 1-2s faster per lap (1:59 laptime with new tires, 2:03 the lap before pitting).

And for a game that values sportmanship so much, why the hell there aren't blue flags for the AI? I spun three times after lapping someone. This is drivatar's level of enfuriating AI.

Flousn

Ok, I am stupid. I thought the red time next to the position is the accumulated penalty, but it's the distance between you and the leader.
Now I feel bad for shitting on the penalty system. Turns out I drive clean, just very badly XD

8AM PT I read, so 6.5hrs away.

Thanks. I guess no more demo for me. :(

Races run every 20 minutes in the demo (during the active racing period).

Yeah, I'm aware that's how it was working earlier. But tonight it was 40 for me. It wasn't a glitch, I literally had to wait 40 minutes for another race to start. It could be that they capped the number of race spawns so their servers could keep up with the traffic.

Wallach

Forgot this would be coming out soon... man this holiday season is going to be hard on the wallet.

Anyone playing the demo on the T300? How’s the FFB implementation?

Ok, I am stupid. I thought the red time next to the position is the accumulated penalty, but it's the distance between you and the leader.
Now I feel bad for shitting on the penalty system. Turns out I drive clean, just very badly XD

Haha, no penalty time is what you get in the middle of your screen telling you to slow down.

Top Bottom