• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Avatar looks worse every time they show it. At this point it looks like a last gen game through and through. I cannot name a single thing that stands out as next gen. Some people will say the scale is next gen, but after seeing Horizon 2 running on PS4 I would not say that this is the case. If I can describe it as anything on visual front then it's would be Far Cry 6.5.
Far Cry 6 looks really bad post HFW. Again, you guys have to do direct comparisons to see just how poor those last gen games look. I played it maxed out on PC just a few months ago and it looked dated as fuck.

That said, i agree that this is not a good showing for Avatar. It is very uneven.

Falc67

Even
No idea what was going on with Peter's model in the first few cutscenes but its really improved in the last few missions. Finally some proper skin shading and lighting.

F9pstogXoAAOIas

F9psiOJWgAI6FB9

Sam Riami suit looks fire.
F9psh8KXwAA527Z
His face shape even looks different than in the earlier scenes. It looks like they’ve used his younger model from miles morales/remastered.

Last edited:

Edder1

Far Cry 6 looks really bad post HFW. Again, you guys have to do direct comparisons to see just how poor those last gen games look. I played it maxed out on PC just a few months ago and it looked dated as fuck.

That said, i agree that this is not a good showing for Avatar. It is very uneven.
That's why I said Far Cry 6.5 and not 6. It's an upgrade, but not a significant one by any stretch of the imagination.

Alex11

Tried a bit Alan Wake 2, looks stunning, but I'm a bit disappointed, from those high system req and the path tracing, I had much higher expectations.

What bugs me is the skybox, it's completely static, and also some foliage when in the distance looks off, like this picture:
PSImhDO.jpg

Also, some light leak of some sorts like here, this was really unexpected being path tracing and static time of day.
BvsqOmQ.jpg

Msamy

Here's 50 minutes of avatar pure gameplay , note , some youtubers said that most of captured footage have video quality and the game not actually have those problems, we really need official 1 hour gameplay video from ubisoft

Here is the current best quality video for avatar gameplay, but surely we need official video

ChiefDada

Avatar looks worse every time they show it. At this point it looks like a last gen game through and through. I cannot name a single thing that stands out as next gen. Some people will say the scale is next gen, but after seeing Horizon 2 running on PS4 I would not say that this is the case. If I can describe it as anything on visual front then it's would be Far Cry 6.5.

And that is entirely an Edder problem.

ChiefDada

Burning Shores destroys Avatar, I told y'all this would happen

In lighting? No way, Jose. I think Avatar might even have the edge with foliage density. But I would give asset quality and art edge to Horizon by a sizeable margin. Avatar is a rare game where I think the tech makes it beautiful more so than art design.

Also, I'm beginning to wonder if today's PC gameplay was captured on AMD GPUs since AMD is sponsoring the game. My guess is Nvidia gpu will look much closer to the original PC trailer.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Some examples off what I explained in other thread about Devs clearly not giving too much care to console games and just using console as cheap pc.
Not utilizing any fallback techniques. "oh yeah, console is too weak so lets lower all the settings to low, put 432p fsr on there and we can't run rt so lets replace it with grain ssr and just not have any mirrors".
"Let's also put some modes in there so they have illusion of choice"
Like... at that point, if You are going to leave NON-RT version of a game so far behind, just make what Insomniac did and just ditch the raster branch altogether and put all the focus in 1 pipeline.

There is no excuse console players have that... thing... in quality mode. +shimmer and fsr and ssr breakup with any motion. It's really poor image quality at times.
(yes, I know I could've played on my 3080 blah blah blah this is not a post about hat. I will be sure to play pc version when i replay the gam 1000% I promise you)

Tons of mirrors in this game. Not even a good hint of reflection. Only grain.
jUkIetS.jpg

And any metalic, glass or shiny surface looks like that on the left
hj33uE2.jpg

... Like what happeend? Can't they put at least a simple cubemap on those mirrors or wall decorations? That ssr is clearly one of worst I've ever seen. Might be worse than RE2 on ps4.
It's only fine from a very steep angle.
GHVrSER.jpg
Use planar reflections. Cubemaps (can even update at slower rate, anything.... there is not a single working mirror in console version of this game.
This is the best and also the most disappointing looking console release recently.

And this is how it looks in motion. Turning of motion blur makes it very jittery and still leaves the dots/fsr breaking.
t64oM2J.jpg

UchihaMadara

Neo Member
Regarding Alan Wake 2 are you guys really that impressed by ultra-linear game that does nothing exceptional? At least when you play Last of Us or Uncharted you usually get some outstanding action set-pieces(in case of Ucharted) or mesmerizing scenes like aquarium location or Ellie's birthday moment in space shuttle in TLOU2. Is there anything in Alan Wake 2 that can match those moments? Or is it just pretty graphics without any substance?

Imagine if Bluepoint came up with game like that I wouldn't be impressed at all. I expect something more groundbreaking

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Regarding Alan Wake 2 are you guys really that impressed by ultra-linear game that does nothing exceptional? At least when you play Last of Us or Uncharted you usually get some outstanding action set-pieces(in case of Ucharted) or mesmerizing scenes like aquarium location or Ellie's birthday moment in space shuttle in TLOU2. Is there anything in Alan Wake 2 that can match those moments? Or is it just pretty graphics without any substance?
The gameplay is nowhere near tlou2.
In fact.. tlou2 might still look better haha.

But Alan Wake 2 got amazing lighting, forests and big semi-open levels. It got some mind being set pieces too. Not the actiony type... more like "what just happened" type.

Luipadre

Gold Member

Imagine if Bluepoint came up with game like that I wouldn't be impressed at all. I expect something more groundbreaking

You play Alan Wake 2 for the story and the unique storytelling. The game is filled with mindfuck moments and amazing presentation

The bold part is just laughable especially if you played the game

Last edited:

But Alan Wake 2 got amazing lighting, forests and big semi-open levels. It got some mind being set pieces too. Not the actiony type... more like "what just happened" type.
Yeah combat especially is light years ahead in TLoUPII. Graphics are not come on. Lol

UchihaMadara

Neo Member

I agree. American games are more cinematic and movie-like which I appreciate more compared to European games that are good when it comes to gameplay but lacking in acting, camera work, dialogue delivery, bombastic action scenes etc.

And I'm not even an American

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Some examples off what I explained in other thread about Devs clearly not giving too much care to console games and just using console as cheap pc.
Not utilizing any fallback techniques. "oh yeah, console is too weak so lets lower all the settings to low, put 432p fsr on there and we can't run rt so lets replace it with grain ssr and just not have any mirrors".
"Let's also put some modes in there so they have illusion of choice"
Like... at that point, if You are going to leave NON-RT version of a game so far behind, just make what Insomniac did and just ditch the raster branch altogether and put all the focus in 1 pipeline.

There is no excuse console players have that... thing... in quality mode. +shimmer and fsr and ssr breakup with any motion. It's really poor image quality at times.
(yes, I know I could've played on my 3080 blah blah blah this is not a post about hat. I will be sure to play pc version when i replay the gam 1000% I promise you)

Tons of mirrors in this game. Not even a good hint of reflection. Only grain.
jUkIetS.jpg

And any metalic, glass or shiny surface looks like that on the left
hj33uE2.jpg

... Like what happeend? Can't they put at least a simple cubemap on those mirrors or wall decorations? That ssr is clearly one of worst I've ever seen. Might be worse than RE2 on ps4.
It's only fine from a very steep angle.
GHVrSER.jpg
Use planar reflections. Cubemaps (can even update at slower rate, anything.... there is not a single working mirror in console version of this game.
This is the best and also the most disappointing looking console release recently.

And this is how it looks in motion. Turning of motion blur makes it very jittery and still leaves the dots/fsr breaking.
t64oM2J.jpg

Yeah, I'm starting to think the differentiation between those that think Alan Wake II's visuals are overrated and those that think it's the best looking game ever made comes down to whether they're playing on console or they're playing on a high-end PC.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah, I'm starting to think the differentiation between those that think Alan Wake II's visuals are overrated and those that think it's the best looking game ever made comes down to whether they're playing on console or they're playing on a high-end PC.
For sure. If they played on pc, then there is a big chance they never played tlou2 which imo is the closest looking game.
If they are playing on consoles, they played ff16 this year and possibly tlou2, uc4 and gow. All the games that imo made bigger graphical splash at least at there time.

But just as you say. The pc version clearly is a focus and that shows.

UchihaMadara

Neo Member
Pretty much all multi-platform titles use PC to showcase their games(including Microsoft games). Sony and Nintendo are only developers that don't lie and show their games running on consoles

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Screenshots taken from various Alan Wake threads. That lake sunset is jaw dropping in HDR. Note to everyone, turn up game brightness to 100% in hdr settings.

F9oNckUXQAAhsTK
You must be fucked in the brain if you think those rocks are nowhere near ue5 mountain demo rocks :messenger_kissing_smiling:

What the fuck is that? killzone shadow fall?
shadow-fall-6-1024x576.jpg

Was this the game with better assets than the demo or was sp2?:lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
For sure. If they played on pc, then there is a big chance they never played tlou2 which imo is the closest looking game.
If they are playing on consoles, they played ff16 this year and possibly tlou2, uc4 and gow. All the games that imo made bigger graphical splash at least at there time.

But just as you say. The pc version clearly is a focus and that shows.

TLOU2's facial detail & animations are better but AW2 blows it away in every other facet IMO.

And FF16 and GOW aren't even in the conversation compared to AW2.

But again, this is on PC and comparing to three consoles games, so it's obviously not an apples to apples comparison.

SlimySnake

You must be fucked in the brain if you think those rocks are nowhere near ue5 mountain demo rocks :messenger_kissing_smiling:

What the fuck is that? killzone shadow fall?
shadow-fall-6-1024x576.jpg

Was this the game with better assets than the demo or was sp2?:lollipop_squinting:
you and your rock fetish. look at everything else. it shits on kzsf.

GymWolf

Gold Member
you and your rock fetish. look at everything else. it shits on kzsf.
No shit, that was just an example of last gen rocks for comedic purpose, of course it shit on a ps4 launch game:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

When rocks are fucking everywhere you better nail the rendering on them, no amount of realistic light is gonna blind me enough to not notice that shit:lollipop_squinting:

In the end i was right, ue5 demo shits all over the comparable assets in aw2, and it's not even close.

Last edited:

UchihaMadara

Neo Member
TLOU2's facial detail & animations are better but AW2 blows it away in every other facet IMO.

And FF16 and GOW aren't even in the conversation compared to AW2.

But again, this is on PC and comparing to three consoles games, so it's obviously not an apples to apples comparison.
No. That pub fight in Ragnarok is one of the best choreagraphed action scenes that you could ever find in the medium. Not to mention boss fights against Fenrir or any boss in FF16 dwarfs anything in scale there in Alan Wake 2. AW2 looks like game from last generation with next-gen coat of paint

SlimySnake

No shit, that was just an example of last gen rocks, of course it shit on a ps4 launch game :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

When rocks are fucking everywhere you better nail the rendering on them, no amount of realistic light is gonna blind me enough to not notice that shit:lollipop_squinting:
i dont think rocks are everywhere in that game though. the beach was the only area that has rocks. though i literally just finished that level so maybe the rest of the game is set in the grand canyon. but i doubt it.

still, there are bad rocks and there are ok rocks. those are ok rocks. these are bad rocks:

FcenHWiWQAQ08UQ

GymWolf

Gold Member
i dont think rocks are everywhere in that game though. the beach was the only area that has rocks. though i literally just finished that level so maybe the rest of the game is set in the grand canyon. but i doubt it.

still, there are bad rocks and there are ok rocks. those are ok rocks. these are bad rocks:

FcenHWiWQAQ08UQ
They are both shit rocks in 2023, but horizon is an open world and has various degree of rocks, you still lose the argument, sorry :messenger_blowing_kiss:

It's hard to feel sorry for a game 2 years older and way, WAY smaller in scope, the smaller the game, the more i expect from overall asset quality, it's basic logic.

Horizon render much more things at any given time even without machines on sight, you can literally climb some mountains and look down on the map, and we are comparing AW2 on pc against a crossgen game on ps5, i think i can rest my case.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Whats wrong with linear games?

And the game isnt really that linear. the first forest level is corridorish but the whole level is available from the start. you dont ever go through those tlou, gow and uncharted style squeezing through walls to mask the loading. The town is massive. hardly a corridor.

The game isnt open world, but that doesnt make the levels linear. they have you revisit the same area twice and open it up each time little by little. almost metroidvania in design.

I thought the aquarium scenes in tlou2 were mind numbling boring but the birthday moment with ellie was fantastic. Still, alan wake 2 has its own strengths. its a psychological horror game, not a survival horror game like tlou2. completely different genres. i have played for 3 hours and shot four people. in tlou, i had killed 400 people by hour 3. just a completely different game.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
How do you know Wolverine is a linear game?
Pretty sure this was confirmed wayy back, plus all rumors have stated so. It would also make zero sense as an open world
So it's more like quantum break than control combat frequency wise uh...
Bro if you like horror and stuff like True Detective then this game is a straight up must play

If you dont, you will think its boring.

However for me its easily the most interesting game of the year. And as a graphics whore, its simply a must play. It may have the best lighting and character models during gameplay I've seen in my life. And NPC's

Its worth the price of admission for the insane atmosphere and graphics. If you like the genre that shit is a bonus.

I havent played a game with atmosphere like this since Bioshock 1.

I LOVE dark moody ass shit like true detective.

Only bad thing I can say is the voice acting is garbage.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

They are both shit rocks in 2023, but horizon is an open world and has various degree of rocks, you still lose the argument, sorry :messenger_blowing_kiss:

It's hard to feel sorry for a game 2 years older and way, WAY smaller in scope, the smaller the game, the more i expect from overall asset quality, it's basic logic.

Horizon render much more things at any given time even without machines on sight, you can literally climb some mountains and look down on the map, and we are comparing AW2 on pc against a crossgen game on ps5, i think i can rest my case.
But why are you ignoring everything else though?

I posted that screenshot without ever saying the rocks look amazing or UE5 like. when i replied to you, i literally said looking at everything else its doing. i am assuming you are referring back to my argument from a few days ago where i said it looks better than the UE5 demo, but just to be clear, i dont think those rocks look better than UE5 rocks.

I dont understand the fascination with picking one thing you dont like and just trashing the whole game for it. As soon as i saw the jackfrags avatar preview, i knew someone was going to post the bad screenshots in this thread to shit on the game, and i was a 100% right.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Pretty sure this was confirmed wayy back, plus all rumors have stated so. It would also make zero sense as an open world

Bro if you like horror and stuff like True Detective then this game is a straight up must play

If you dont, you will think its boring.

However for me its easily the most interesting game of the year. And as a graphics whore, its simply a must play. It may have the best lighting I've seen in my life.

Its worth the price of admission for the insane atmosphere and graphics. If you like the genre that shit is a bonus.

I havent played a game with atmosphere like this since Bioshock 1.

I LOVE dark moody ass shit like true detective.

Only bad thing I can say is the voice acting is garbage.
I watched some footage and it's really not for me (and true detective didn't had all this paranormal fuckery).

Also, as a dude that is hardly impressed by lighting alone, the game doesn't look anything special asset\characters wise, so i don't even see the point of playing for the graphic.

I'm happy that you are enjoying it.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Now compare it to these gifs. Look at the asset density, the variety of vegetation, and tell me if your horizon pics destroy avatar.

WwhKzMI.gif

qxoG1Ll.gif
I saw close up of the robots, the dinobots steal their lunch, their girlfriend and their dog in terms of geometry and details.

Are you talking about the vegetation? yeah that looks nice.

Last edited:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood

Here is the current best quality video for avatar gameplay, but surely we need official video

The geometric density looks to surpass Horizon Forbidden West but the textures (don't seem high res enough?) and materials don't look that great. The TAA is also a bit blurry to my eyes.

Edit: Clarified.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I saw close up of the robots, the dinobots steal their lunch, their girlfriend and their dog in terms of geometry and details.

Are you talking about the vegetation? yeah that looks nice.
yeah, the world just has a lot more detail. notice how there are like 3 different types of grass and plants in his screenshots. HFW is last gen through and through. Looks amazing at times which is an accomplishment on its own, but if you sit down and start comparing, it will begin to show its age.

The detail looks to surpass Horizon Forbidden West but the textures (don't seem high res enough?) and materials don't look that great. The TAA is also a bit blurry to my eyes.
This was an online event so everyone played the game using streaming. The footage was then captured and provided back to the journos by ubisoft in 1080p 60 fps. thats partly why the IQ is so bad compared to other footage shown.

This is the PC footage they showed just a month ago.
goVRh8P.gif

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think you are just confusing the art design of an alien planet with actual better graphic, it's like when people thought that tsushima looked incredible even if the overall texture and characters work was kinda meh, great art design can do wonders.

Sorry but i don't see anything that make horizon looks old in avatar, at the very best it looks slightly better in some things and noticeably worse in others, no ubisoft game is gonna make look the characters and dinobots of horizon old.

I'm gonna wait for less shitty footage because this one doens't cut it.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

yeah, the world just has a lot more detail. notice how there are like 3 different types of grass and plants in his screenshots. HFW is last gen through and through. Looks amazing at times which is an accomplishment on its own, but if you sit down and start comparing, it will begin to show its age.

This was an online event so everyone played the game using streaming. The footage was then captured and provided back to the journos by ubisoft in 1080p 60 fps. thats partly why the IQ is so bad compared to other footage shown.

goVRh8P.gif

*Allegedly

I don't trust Ubisoft

Msamy

goVRh8P.gif
Yes we cleary need better quality footage from ubisoft other than those 1080p quality videos with youtube compression

SlimySnake

I think you are just confusing the art design of an alien planet with actual better graphic, it's like when people thought that tsushima looked incredible even if the overall texture and characters work was kinda meh, great art design can do wonders.

Sorry but i don't see anything that make horizon looks old in avatar, at the very best it looks slightly better in some things and noticeably worse in others, no ubisoft game is gonna make look the characters and dinobots of horizon old.

I'm gonna wait for less shitty footage because this one doens't cut it.
do what you did with demon souls. go back and play horizon today. its limitations will become very apparent.

Personally i prefer the art design in horizon. avatar is just pushing more detail and more varied detail. it is doing rtgi, rt reflections, and far more interactivity than horizon's foliage.

i dont think either game destroys the other, but avatar does surpass it in tech whereas horizon still enjoys an art style advantage.

Alex11

Don't know the channel, just stumbled onto it.

Such a useless implementation of path tracing, the refections could have been just simple RT and also in some scenes it removes shadows where shadows need to be.

Also, did anyone notice her jacket being way too soft with path tracing? , IMO the material seems to be more accurate without it.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Now compare it to these gifs. Look at the asset density, the variety of vegetation, and tell me if your horizon pics destroy avatar.

WwhKzMI.gif

qxoG1Ll.gif

As discussed earlier, yes you can cherry pick shots of Avatar that look really good, but there's MANY scenes that look like absolute garbage. Like, worse than last-gen open world games garbage.

So yes, Forbidden West destroys Avatar on the whole. And I even think Forbidden West is a bit overrated.

Top Bottom