• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

CGNoire

Never gonna happen. First ever trailer was a target render and your best hope is that they dont downgrade from the ps5 reveal from e3 of this year.

I actually asked the tech director on twitter if this final shot of the reveal trailer was downgraded or if we should expect this area in the final game, and he didnt reply back lmao.

DuqGnnB.gif

The lighting might come close but the draw distance is clearly downgraded.
The draw distance was one of its major next gen features though.....goddamm you Ubisoft.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Man, that biggest GT7 update ever turned out to be a cocktease. Just added 4 player splitscreen coop. Just goes to show how much headroom they had available on the PS5. They hit 100 fps at native 4k. So why not improve the weather. DriveClub didnt ship with weather either. it was patched in. GT7 has been out for a year and a half. Thats not long enough to patch in weather and other next gen features?

CGNoire

Where are you getting this info from? Remedy has always used dynamic global illumination since Quantum Break (same in Control) and now AW2. Its not prebaked.
Actually QB used a baked voxel grid for there GI instead of light maps which allowed dynamic objects fo be lit dynamicly but the grid is baked and isnt updated so no physical destruction of walls ect also characters dont contribute to the lighting via bounces off of them. Its a really ingenous idea as a stop gap between GI tech and is super effiecent withe near identical results in most cases. Other linear game devs ND ect... should take notes.

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
Still waiting for a proper next gen racer. A Driveclub of this generation

GT7 looks fantastic but clearly crossgen, only so much their super talented artists can do with a PS4 shaped ball and chain.

Forza Motorsport is inconsistent as all fuck, one minute it looks incredible the next it looks like Rave Racer.

Forza Horizon 5 looks fantastic for a cross-gen game, way more consistent than FM.

PC sims look decent enough but lack the budget of the console racer offerings

WRC on Unreal 5 looks decent for a launch PS4 game.

Maybe a current gen Forza Horizon 6 will blow us away, perhaps even a GT8 near the end of the gen. I dno bruv

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

GT7 looks fantastic but clearly crossgen, only so much their super talented artists can do with a PS4 shaped ball and chain.

Forza Motorsport is inconsistent as all fuck, one minute it looks incredible the next it looks like Rave Racer.

Forza Horizon 5 looks fantastic for a cross-gen game, way more consistent than FM.

Maybe a current gen Forza Horizon 6 will blow us away, perhaps even a GT8 near the end of the gen. I dno bruv

After playing all of them, its clear that Forza Horizon 5 is still clearly the superior game graphically. Current gen Forza Horizon 6 will be that game that we have been waiting for.

SlimySnake

wrc looks trash. Codemasters are slipping.

NFS Unbound on PC looks good but good for a last gen game. Its a shame that Criterion and ex Evolution studios guys couldnt get more out of next gen consoles. Dirt 5 by ex evo studios was cross gen and had some great moments, so i expected their next game to look truly next gen.

Give the crew a shot. The off road races take place on hills and forests with lots of foliage and while the lighting is still last gen, it is way too dense for a last gen game. I was very impressed. The rest of the game doesnt look as good.

I want to say cross gen held back racing devs, but nfs unbound and forza motorsport still dont look next gen. i think devs just dont have the time or desire to make games look next gen. I remember when a racing game would come out at launch and set the bar for the rest of the gen. those times are long gone.
Robocop has Unrecorded beat imo, there is a level maybe 1/4 the way through that takes place in a cloudy industrial area. Genuinely looks loads better than unrecord, and there isn't shitty camera effects everywhere for "realism".
pics?

Last edited:

ckstine

Robocop has Unrecorded beat imo, there is a level maybe 1/4 the way through that takes place in a cloudy industrial area. Genuinely looks loads better than unrecord, and there isn't shitty camera effects everywhere for "realism".

ckstine

NFS Unbound on PC looks good but good for a last gen game. Its a shame that Criterion and ex Evolution studios guys couldnt get more out of next gen consoles. Dirt 5 by ex evo studios was cross gen and had some great moments, so i expected their next game to look truly next gen.

Give the crew a shot. The off road races take place on hills and forests with lots of foliage and while the lighting is still last gen, it is way too dense for a last gen game. I was very impressed. The rest of the game doesnt look as good.

I want to say cross gen held back racing devs, but nfs unbound and forza motorsport and still dont look next gen. i think devs just dont have the time or desire to make games look next gen. I remember when a racing game would come out at launch and set the bar for the rest of the gen. those times are long gone.

pics?
are you a kenneth branagh fan? i just realized who your pfp was.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not sure what you are seeing that I don't.
Robocop just looks like AA unreal engine game

Turk1993

I want to say cross gen held back racing devs, but nfs unbound and forza motorsport still dont look next gen. i think devs just dont have the time or desire to make games look next gen. I remember when a racing game would come out at launch and set the bar for the rest of the gen. those times are long gone.

pics?
FM (23) has its moments where it looks incredible. When everything hits, it hits really hard. But even this game got downgraded sadly which looked incredible in the reveal trailers and footage. Still looks very good but has some problems graphically that shouldn't be a problem in the first place.
S8cH2.gif
S6qTz.gif

S6qTS.gif
S6qT2.gif

S6qNX.gif
S6qTs.gif

SlimySnake

^Downgrades like Forza, Starfield, Spiderman and Avatar simply shouldnt happen in todays age where everything is on PC on day one. Downgrade the fucking series s version if you must. Have consoles run it at 1080p if you must. But PC should never get downgraded.

Forza runs at native 4k 60 fps in the non RT mode. Why? Who made the decision to downgrade the game just to hit native 4k?

miklonus

What real UE5 games or games on other new engines exist by big devs now? What game has matrix awakens visuals? What game is 30FPS 1440p built by Naughty Dog or another big Dev? CG requires GI and very high polycount, which these current engines just can’t do properly. You can see glimpses of good lighting in Spider-Man 2, FF16 etc, those parts look like CG because of it. PS5 blows PS4 away in power, where is PS5s “TLOU2”?
Fuck The Last Of Us II - where is the PS5's Arkham Knight?

Turk1993

^Downgrades like Forza, Starfield, Spiderman and Avatar simply shouldnt happen in todays age where everything is on PC on day one. Downgrade the fucking series s version if you must. Have consoles run it at 1080p if you must. But PC should never get downgraded.

Forza runs at native 4k 60 fps in the non RT mode. Why? Who made the decision to downgrade the game just to hit native 4k?
Slimy the 4K60 mode is the worst looking mode, they downscaled it even further in that.

ckstine

What real UE5 games or games on other new engines exist by big devs now? What game has matrix awakens visuals? What game is 30FPS 1440p built by Naughty Dog or another big Dev? CG requires GI and very high polycount, which these current engines just can’t do properly. You can see glimpses of good lighting in Spider-Man 2, FF16 etc, those parts look like CG because of it. PS5 blows PS4 away in power, where is PS5s “TLOU2”?
Robocop, Alan Wake (at times) Very very very brief instances in SM 2. Opening snow level of GOW Ragnarok and literally nothing else in that game. Demon's Souls tutorial level.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Struggling?
59ece950df0111e0954767ff4816b1ad.gif

Come on man, i really like the game but the graphics where not next gen, far from it.

It was so easy to make that game look like shit. After playing Arkham Asylum I think they should downscale for their next game. New districts that they added offered worse traversal and the same, tired side content. What’s the point?

Turk1993

It was so easy to make that game look like shit. After playing Arkham Asylum I think they should downscale for their next game. New districts that they added offered worse traversal and the same, tired side content. What’s the point?
I don't have a problem with its scale but the game was already pretty small imo. In 28h i have finished everything and earned platinum, after that there is nothing to do. The traversel is the highlight and easily the best thing in this game. The new districts are fine for me since the webwings can actually be pretty usefull there. And the graphics are verry inconsistent and really bad sometimes.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I don't have a problem with its scale but the game was already pretty small imo. In 28h i have finished everything and earned platinum, after that there is nothing to do. The traversel is the highlight and easily the best thing in this game. The new districts are fine for me since the webwings can actually be pretty usefull there. And the graphics are verry inconsistent and really bad sometimes.

Game feels small not because of the size of the map but because of lack of meaningful content. I’d be more than happy with just Manhattan but closer in scale to the real thing and more detailed. Seriously, these extra areas add absolutely nothing to the game. Wingsuit is usefully everywhere. It’s also an inferior mode of traversal compared to amazing web swinging so it should never be the focus.

Last edited:

Turk1993

Yep, because a PS4 could do this.

Uploaded in 4K HDR because I love y'all so much.

So you are mixing up fast traversal with graphics now? By your logic SM1 an MM1 are also next gen on pc because you can enable the same speed and even faster with a single mod. There are improvements im not arguing against that, but there are lots of bad low quality unfinished stuff in this game. I have already posted some exmaples from major scenes and places where it looks pretty bad. The game looks good overall but its not next gen my guy.

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231031044755.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231030024805.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231023215920.png

Again just look at Venom, one of the most improtant charachters in the game. Just look how bad he looks even in cutscene.
Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231025222945.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231025222000.png

Its not only the lighting, the game has some serious problems with assets and detail. There are some levels where i was like wtf is this shit, it looks soo bad. The level of detail is soo inconsistent, feels like most levels are not even finished. The worst part is there some major moments where you take the controll after the cutscene. You would expect at those moment to be the best looking parts like UC4 and TLOU2 where the they frame everything perfect and give you the controll. But nope its the shittest looking part in this game. The transition from cutscene to gameplay always has that wow factor but in this game its the opposite.

Some none spoiler gameplay shots of that problem (All fidelity 120hz mode)
Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231024000557.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231025204840.png

Here it looks alot worse but its all spoilers so be warned.
SPOILERS!SPOILERS!SPOILERS!SPOILERS!
SPOILERS!
Just look at those, those are all major moments where you get the controll back after the cutscene.

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231025223453.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231025213058.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231025234304.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231026191816.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231025215055.png

even in cutscene it looks horrible sometimes
Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231026010659.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231026192243.png

ckstine

Yep, because a PS4 could do this.

Uploaded in 4K HDR because I love y'all so much.

It's definitely next-gen in the sense that, yes, it couldn't run on ps4, but last-gen in the sense that it isn't pushing anything impossible on PC at the time. Ray Tracing on PC has been a reality in some capacity for about five years now and is just now landing on consoles. The draw distance is impressive, but there are games that match it. The lighting is sometimes really good, but there are baked games that look just as good, if not much better. WD Legion was cross-gen and looks a decent bit better than SM2 at most times.

SlimySnake

For Spiderman 2 to look truly next gen it would need:

- Way better quality buildings
- Better character models
- Better looking cars. They look too cartoony
- Way better night time rendering. Day time, Dusk and Dawn times are good enough for the artstyle they are going for.

They did a great job with traffic density, NPC variety, traversal speeds, hair rendering, water, reflections, Day time, Dusk and Dawn time lighting. At least they are good enough for the artstyle they are going for.

basically i want this.
92jxhif.gif

ChiefDada

So you are mixing up fast traversal with graphics now? By your logic SM1 an MM1 are also next gen on pc because you can enable the same speed and even faster with a single mod. There are improvements im not arguing against that, but there are lots of bad low quality unfinished stuff in this game. I have already posted some exmaples from major scenes and places where it looks pretty bad. The game looks good overall but its not next gen my guy.

No. It's about the level of asset density and geometry on screen as you are moving around the world at an insane rate of speed. Yes, LOD is visuals/graphics and a near-seamless visual world is intricately linked with graphical fidelity.

The draw distance is impressive, but there are games that match it.

Maintaining SM2 level LOD at speed???

Looking Pedro Pascal GIF by HBO

but last-gen in the sense that it isn't pushing anything impossible on PC

I wouldn't use the term impossible, but considering SM remastered gave some decent spec'd PCs a fit with asset loading/decompression and CPU utilization with RT, I wouldn't be so sure about which PC build could match PS5 settings, because asset density and RT have been cranked up far beyond SM Remastered/MM. Too bad it won't be on PC for another couple years because DF will then run the game on the current top end PC for 2025 i.e. 60 series NVIDIA gpus which of course should be able to breeze by then.

ckstine

No. It's about the level of asset density and geometry on screen as you are moving around the world at an insane rate of speed. Yes, LOD is visuals/graphics and a near-seamless visual world is intricately linked with graphical fidelity.

Maintaining SM2 level LOD at speed???

Looking Pedro Pascal GIF by HBO

I wouldn't use the term impossible, but considering SM remastered gave some decent spec'd PCs a fit with asset loading/decompression and CPU utilization with RT, I wouldn't be so sure about which PC build could match PS5 settings, because asset density and RT have been cranked up far beyond SM Remastered/MM. Too bad it won't be on PC for another couple years because DF will then run the game on the current top end PC for 2025 i.e. 60 series NVIDIA gpus which of course should be able to breeze by then.
MSFS, which released in august of 2020, a few months before next gen consoles, has the same level of lod. In terms of asset density/quality, Spiderman 2 sucks balls, and I won't entertain anything that says otherwise.

Rheon

Never gonna happen. First ever trailer was a target render and your best hope is that they dont downgrade from the ps5 reveal from e3 of this year.

I actually asked the tech director on twitter if this final shot of the reveal trailer was downgraded or if we should expect this area in the final game, and he didnt reply back lmao.

DuqGnnB.gif

The lighting might come close but the draw distance is clearly downgraded.

They tried to pass this off as gameplay??

This is almost Anthem levels of bullshittery lmao.

Turk1993

So SM1 and MM on pc are even more next gen since those are the same buildings but you can go faster.
S8c9P.gif

fd1e046f-d7b5-4f99-9cb2-41a4925456ce_text.gif

ChiefDada

MSFS, which released in august of 2020, a few months before next gen consoles, has the same level of lod. In terms of asset density/quality, Spiderman 2 sucks balls, and I won't entertain anything that says otherwise.

Microsoft Flight SIMULATOR on a 4090.

Lol. A SIMULATOR running on a 4090 has shit reflections, textures, GI, and draw distance than a full fledged superhero game with much faster traversal running on a $500 console. Shameful.

Sheldon Cooper Reaction GIF by CBS

SlimySnake

They tried to pass this off as gameplay??

This is almost Anthem levels of bullshittery lmao.
Not gameplay. They said it was an inengine showcase. This was at E3 2021.

The gameplay was shown at E3 2023 using PS5 footage which looked good but nothing like this shot. Other scenes looked comparable.

ckstine

Microsoft Flight SIMULATOR on a 4090.

Lol. A SIMULATOR running on a 4090 has shit reflections, textures, GI, and draw distance than a full fledged superhero game with much faster traversal running on a $500 console. Shameful.

Sheldon Cooper Reaction GIF by CBS

first off, wrong. secondly, young sheldon gif? really? cmon, man. don't make it too easy.

SlimySnake

Hmmmmmmmm… we’ll see

How does the matrix demo run on a 2080? Cause that was the primary card R* were testing gta 6 with
Same as PS5. 1440p 30 fps. Just smoother because my CPU was way more powerful than a PS5 CPU so i didnt get any CPU bottlenecks.

Matrix demo didnt have any advantage running on AMD or Nvidia GPUs due to ray tracing.

ChiefDada

first off, wrong. secondly, young sheldon gif? really? cmon, man. don't make it too easy.

This is embarrassing on many levels - 4090. Simulator. Shit LOD, shit nonexistent reflections. I don't even know what that black cube is in the middle of the screen because no way is that supposed to be a building.

C'mon I'm giving you another chance to come up with something halfway decent. Don't dwell on this pathetic excuse of a comparison. It only draws more attention to the regrettable choice you made.

Top Bottom