• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
hellblade-hellblade2.gif

I don't trust anything bruh, its downgrade season.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
GTA 6 and Wolverine I believe are 2025 titles

Next year for graphic whores we have:

- Space Marine II
- Ragnarok DLC (Miles Morales size)
- Hellblade 2

Next year will be the best year of the gen for ANNOUNCEMENTS/Trailers

We'll see a GTA6 trailer that will be the biggest announcement in the history of entertainment

We'll see what SP game ND is working on

We should see what Bluepoint is cooking

Perfect Dark should be ready to show

Maybe Cory Barlog is ready to reveal their new IP

Ghosts of Tsushima 2 announcement

etc, etc.

None of these are out of the question and at least 3 of them are guaranteed

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Building locations and actual buildings havent been changed, but the textures have received an upgrade. A generational one? no. But a big lift nonetheless. Again, the comparison below is from Spiderman PS5 which itself received some small texture upgrades on buildings.

F6MSdL6WYAAuXCM

F9QRQ5ZWEAA5yxo

Why is your Spider-Man 1 shot so underexposed and desaturated?

If you make the exposure/saturation a closer match, the gap isn't anything particularly impressive IMO:

53304023120_7bdc780f1d_o.jpg

F9QRQ5ZWEAA5yxo

Lethal01

The Venom/Miles/Peter sequence will for sure be in the game. For the sake of keeping everyone honest, why don't you point out the specific visual results of the CG trailer that you think is impossible to replicate on PS5. Provide us with a few frames and/or short video of the most impressive moments for you in the scene and we can all revisit in 2 weeks time.
Can we acknowledge the game didn't come anywhere close now (ofcourse it didn't, the trailer was CGI, it was unfair to compare the game to it in the first play)

Anyway i got no hesitations about call Spiderman 2 Next gen, but this generation is just not coming close to mid level cgi like we see for these game trailers.

Feast your eyes

Best looking game iver ever seen, 4090 or not

How the fuck does a warhammer game look like this and Sony/Microsoft spending 200 mil on their AAA titles can’t come close - these consoles can’t be that outdated. This is the sort of generational leap I expected. Maybe they shoulda just waited till 2023 to come out with a new console

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
yeah no. it will be last gen as fuck just like ragnorak.

You will most likely play as the little shit anyway. dated gameplay. dated level design. loading corridors. thanks but no thanks.

Now if they let us play as Thor and fly around the map at fast speeds like in Spiderman 2 then sure. But they dont have the vision or ambition to make something like that for the DLC. it will be a quick and dirty cash grab like Horizon BS.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Best looking game iver ever seen, 4090 or not
then you haven`t watched it on a big screen.
I was very impressed until I did.

In reality most of the level and asset geometry and quality is nothing to speak about, same goes for the enemy and character models which vary widely in quality. The lighting looks rather basic too in most shots. The very busy scene setting with all the background animations is masking it, but the moment you shift your attention to the details the AA budget becomes very apparent.

Last edited:

Lethal01

then you haven`t watched it on a big screen.
I was very impressed until I did.

In reality most of the level and asset geometry and quality is nothing to speak about, same goes for the enemy and character models which vary widely in quality. The lighting looks rather basic too in most shots. The very busy scene setting with all the background animations is masking it, but the moment you shift your attention to the details the AA budget becomes very apparent.

I didn't want to have to spend several pages proving this again, but yes, it's a great looking game, with the same old graphical shortcomings

setoman

Dude we literally had screens with ps4 launch rocks, i know it's not true, no matter how much you people cocksucked the game, every game has shit assets here and there, and this one doesn't have the excuse of being crossgen nor open world.

And i saw close up of many characters, they are not the best in the business nor even close to being averagely as good as horizon where charas with one line of dialogue that you see for 5 sec are as detailed as 95% of games main protagonist, come the fuck on.

Next.
its the best and its not even close (and this is with shadow quality being mistakenly set to medium).
You're comparing a gamey looking character to something that can actually pass for real life at split second glance.

Dude its not just about detail its about the entire rendering, its about the skin and how close to physically based the rendering is and how its reaction to light, its also about how close to physical based the materials are and how they react to light. same goes for the hair, clothes, etc. If one thing is severely off, the whole thing falls apart.

If Remedy had used Horizon 2's character rendering and materials in this game, the game would look 10x worse.
How is it that you don't understand that?

Alan-Wake-2-11-1-2023-4-39-35-PM.png

Alan-Wake-2-11-1-2023-4-39-46-PM.png

Last edited:

setoman

Yeah no... the recent trailer actually looked bad, like a Vaseline blurry mess. Very disappointing.
All the recent stuff they put out is cringe. I completely lost all fate in them.
Also disappointed but expected of Avatar, Its Ubisoft's patented three stages of downgrade.

Outlaws will get the same ubisoft downgrade treatment. It will be epic and shocking.

Why is your Spider-Man 1 shot so underexposed and desaturated?

If you make the exposure/saturation a closer match, the gap isn't anything particularly impressive IMO:

53304023120_7bdc780f1d_o.jpg

F9QRQ5ZWEAA5yxo

This is what I have been saying to SlimySnake SlimySnake & ChiefDada ChiefDada

While the game's lighting and specular reflection has been improved (obviously).

The change in textures (much more grungier), the differences in materials applied to building and the difference in post process is responsible for more than 60% of "omg it looks better." The rest is slight improvement of trees, lighting and specular reflection.

But its not some huge gap. If you applied the same textures and materials to the buildings in SM1, things will look even closer than the comparison above.

Most of the difference you see in the buildings is simply because it has a different texture and material.

Again the lighting and specular reflection is CLEARLY better (no argument on that)

Last edited:

- Space Marine II
- Hellblade 2

We'll see a GTA6 trailer that will be the biggest announcement in the history of entertainment

etc, etc.

Outlaws, ac red

CGNoire

- Space Marine II
- Hellblade 2

etc, etc.

Also Splinter Cell Remake and first peaks at Max Payne Remake.

SlimySnake

This is what I have been saying to SlimySnake SlimySnake & ChiefDada ChiefDada

While the game's lighting and specular reflection has been improved (obviously).

The change in textures (much more grungier), the differences in materials applied to building and the difference in post process is responsible for more than 60% of "omg it looks better." The rest is slight improvement of trees, lighting and specular reflection.

But its not some huge gap. If you applied the same textures and materials to the buildings in SM1, things will look even closer than the comparison above.

Most of the difference you see in the buildings is simply because it has a different texture and material.

Again the lighting and specular reflection is CLEARLY better (no argument on that)
i dont think its a generational gap but its a huge gap like Horizon ZD to HFW. they have done a great job updating the lighting, the reflections, the trees, water rendering, hair rendering, npc count/variety and traffic density, and a decent or rather ok job updating the building assets and some character models.

If you go back to my original post, i was replying to Turk when he said that 95% of the buildings are the same. My entire point was that while the buildings are the same, the building textures were updated so you and I are in agreement there. one of the reasons why the game looks so much better than the first is due to the buildings being updated.

Compare this to other sequels like GOW Ragnorak, Division 2, and RE4 (from Village or RE3) and it becomes clear that this is indeed a HFW caliber upgrade. A huge one.

cXij1ik.gif

o7daCao.gif

QekiqI2.gif

Edder1

Looking at this PC gameplay the game is definitely next gen when it comes to foliage density and lighting. Draw distance, PS4 level pop-in and character models leave a lot to be desired.

Edit: Indirect lighting is weak as well, a huge contrast to when the game is lit directly. The game is a mixed bag visually. I'd rate the visuals as 6.5/10 on next gen scale.

Last edited:

Edder1

RoboCop character model has to be one of the most next gen thing I've seen so far. At times he stands out like a sore thumb from the rest of the game, lol.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
its the best and its not even close (and this is with shadow quality being mistakenly set to medium).
You're comparing a gamey looking character to something that can actually pass for real life at split second glance.

Dude its not just about detail its about the entire rendering, its about the skin and how close to physically based the rendering is and how its reaction to light, its also about how close to physical based the materials are and how they react to light. same goes for the hair, clothes, etc. If one thing is severely off, the whole thing falls apart.

If Remedy had used Horizon 2's character rendering and materials in this game, the game would look 10x worse.
How is it that you don't understand that?

Alan-Wake-2-11-1-2023-4-39-35-PM.png

Alan-Wake-2-11-1-2023-4-39-46-PM.png
Until i can directly play the game i'm gonna trust the pics and close up i saw of the characters and they are not the best.
They are in the ballpark with the best for sure (but only the main characters)

Her face looks too clean, like she has a wax mask, i don't like that type of skin rendering, maybe they simulate heavy make up, but the final result sure as hell is not the best in the market.

And a thing that horizon does better than any game, is having a similar overall quality for all the npcs, and i saw pics of secondary\tertiary characters and they don't look that hot, you may only care about main protagonist but other people like having similar average quality for npcs and protagonists, especially in a small game with a small cast like aw2.

Wtf is this shit?

TPUMG7e.png

Another wax monstruosity.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Because i'm lazy and i don't want any iq improvement in my pics, that is how the game actually look live.

Better watch my pics and being surprised when you actually play the game than expecting something that doesn't exist.
Uhm... pressing a single button or button combination seems way lazier than reaching for your phone, unlocking the camera and then taking a picture, cropping the picture etc. Also screenshots are just that, screenshots, there is no innate IQ enhancement.
All you are adding to the picture are the artefacts of your camera and your monitor settings.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Uhm... pressing a single button or button combination seems way lazier than reaching for your phone, unlocking the camera and then taking a picture. Also screenshots are just that, screenshots, there is no innate IQ enhancement.
All you are adding to the picture are the artefacts of your camera and your monitor settings.
Depends on the photomode, i'm not familiar with all the options available (reading your link as we speak) to take pics but some of them add iq improvements and i don't like that ( if i have a choice and i can personally take pics from a game i'm playing)

I don't have gf experience and i have xzbox bar turned off and i don't like to have overlays or third party apps opened when i play, i heard too many stories online about these apps being in conflict with some games and shit, i don't wanna deal with any of that.

Maybe i'm gonna try the steam method but i like i said, i don't like having overlays turned on.

Last edited:

ckstine

After beating robocop last night, and alan wake 2 a few days ago, I think I'll say that Alan Wake 2 probably wins. Robocop can look great at times, but misses out on the true realism of Wake because it goes for a more neon and saturated 80's look. Asset quality in Wake is also probably better, with insane textures and geo/poly counts. Robocop is probably better looking aesthetically, but Alan Wake 2 is the best for true photorealism now, and it'll probably be that way for quite some time. I feel like we have the next rdr2 on our hands with this, in terms of it being a game we will keep coming back to and saying it's king for years to come, and I'm quite alright with that fact.

Lethal01

Depends on the photomode, i'm not familiar with all the options available (reading your link as we speak) to take pics but some of them add iq improvements and i don't like that ( if i have a choice and i can personally take pics from a game i'm playing)

I don't have gf experience and i have xzbox bar turned off and i don't like to have overlays or third party apps opened when i play, i heard too many stories online about these apps being in conflict with some games and shit, i don't wanna deal with any of that.

Maybe i'm gonna try the steam method but i like i said, i don't like having overlays turned on.

windowskey + printscreen saves screenshots inside your windows picture folder, it's really easy.

SlimySnake

AW2 wont even launch for me because of MSI Afterburner lol. Apparently Epic Game store couldnt validate my copy of the game even though i was launching from their launcher. hilarious.
Until i can directly play the game i'm gonna trust the pics and close up i saw of the characters and they are not the best.
They are in the ballpark with the best for sure (but only the main characters)

Her face looks too clean, like she has a wax mask, i don't like that type of skin rendering, maybe they simulate heavy make up, but the final result sure as hell is not the best in the market.

And a thing that horizon does better than any game, is having a similar overall quality for all the npcs, and i saw pics of secondary\tertiary characters and they don't look that hot, you may only care about main protagonist but other people like having similar average quality for npcs and protagonists, especially in a small game with a small cast like aw2.

Wtf is this shit?

TPUMG7e.png

Another wax monstruosity.
Dude she looks phenomenal in the game. Not wax-ish at all.

Schmendrick

Depends on the photomode,
wait wait wait, no one is talking about photomodes. We´re talking about basic screenshots you can take at any time at the press of a button, 3rd party so to speak, without having to rely on a specifically implemented photomode in the game. Quite the contrary, because photomodes often times produce results that look way better than the actual games.

this for example is probably the easiest method, doesn`t require any kind of overlays and does absolutely nothing to the picture.
windowskey + printscreen saves screenshots inside your windows picture folder, it's really easy.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I use GeForce overlay because it gives me the most control over video quality. I do 1440p 60 fps because they look way better than 1080p captures and are much smaller than the 4k captures. I also dont notice much performance degradation when using it. MSI Afterburner is also fine for screenshots and lets you customize which keys take pics. But i always forget my bindings so I just do a quick Alt+F1 and let GeForce take care of the rest.

I do wish they started utilizing the share button on the dualsense. lots of games have native dualsense support now. maybe geforce should too.

GymWolf

Gold Member
AW2 wont even launch for me because of MSI Afterburner lol. Apparently Epic Game store couldnt validate my copy of the game even though i was launching from their launcher. hilarious.

Dude she looks phenomenal in the game. Not wax-ish at all.
And yet, many people in the aw2 best graphic of 2023 topic noticed that characters have some problems or are not the best in the business.

Until i have my hands on the game i'm gonna trust what i saw with my own eyes.

You want to defend the waitress aswell or we can at least agree that she look awful?

CGNoire

Just hit Print Screen and load up paint and hit ctrl+v save done.

Top Bottom