• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It has better assets (and asses) than spidey 2, i give you that :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Robocop has better assets than Spider-Man 2. Zoom in on the chain link fence in the first part of the town and you'll see it's using the pretty much the same 3D model that Matrix demo was using.

DanielG165

Maybe the ones heavily edited by PlayStation fanboys are having this effect. They boost contrast, adjust colors and do all sort of weird stuff in post processing to make it look the best.

But having played Alan Wake 2 I can tell you with all certainty that these sections look much, much better when you play:

alan-wake-2-alan-wake.gif

alan-wake-2-alex-casey.gif

97832453cde4c3b1f9e58504309626bfaf811914.gif

Agreed. And this is coming from someone who’s playing the game on a machine that isn’t top class anymore (2080 Super, 9700K), yet it’s still absolutely mind blowing how good the presentation is. It can genuinely pass for decent/good CGI in a lot of cases. We’re still far away from what something like Planet of the Apes and even the Transformers franchise are doing, but AW2 has certainly gotten closer. It is THE best looking game of the year outside of 2077, and I envy those with the hardware to push it to the max.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Gonna agree that Gifs hide flaws, they show less detail which your mind kinda fills as being better than it actually is, or something. Kinda the same effect as when someone puts a VHS filter on a racing game to make it look like an old on board camera, it's hiding detail..or the lack thereof and our minds fill the rest subconsciously

This was true for last gen games maybe. Mostly because they are devoid of detail.

This gen, the detail is there. Especially in games like Starfield and Alan Wake 2. And what is happening now is that detail is lost in youtube compression and then further hidden in tiny gifs. Not to mention the HDR effect. You brought up the VHS filter, well the lack of HDR removes that filter from gifs because all the colors im seeing are gone as i have to capture the gifs in SDR.

I dont know how many times i take videos and as soon as im done converting them, im like wtf happened. New artifacts are added. The games no longer look crisp even though they are technically downscaled. And thats from 1GB video files recorded by GeForce now. Youtube gifs are a lost cause. Try it. Try making a gif and you will see it immediately.

They still hide all the flaws that you can see in still frame pics, it's a merit\limit of the format.

I don't think musilla gifs are heavy edited and he still has to post a gif where a game looks less than exceptional.

The more bad are the assets, the more the gif make it looks better, spidey looks nothing like the best gifs around because all the shit assets get a free pass.
Spiderman looks better on my tv than it does in Musilla's gifs. I told you not to play it in 1440p 40 fps. I tried it after finishing the campaign and it is too grainy, too soft and blurs out all the detail. Their Temporal injection technique is no substitute for DLSS 4k quality. It is worse than FSR2 which has a quality mode thats worse than dlss performance. you might as well be playing at 720p internal resolution there.

I dont think Musilla or anyone else for that matter would waste time recording gifs of poor looking areas. I saw your horizon screenshot the other day and spent several minutes trying to get my game to look like that before finally ending up in plainsong. Didnt bother taking a single screenshot of the bad area let alone record anything to prove you wrong. just not worth the time.

Luckily for us, Chiefdada did just that and while its not technically a gif, you can see that the game's flaws cant be hidden in gif form. You will see the pop-in, the fog, and the complete lack of detail and asset density that we see in musilla's gifs that show the game at its best.

I mean c'mon. The pop-in to asset density ratio is ridiculous.

And look at the speed comparison. I'm going as fast as I can. This is a current gen Decima game for Christ sake.

Senua

Gold Member
Another thing that I appreciate about Robocop. Your partner is a woman in her late 30s but she a) looks cute and b) is likeable. European developers save the day yet again.

NVipreq.jpg
Dude have you not seen Robocop? One of the best fucking action movies ever made tbh. Nancy Allen is the shit too

GymWolf

Gold Member
This was true for last gen games maybe. Mostly because they are devoid of detail.

This gen, the detail is there. Especially in games like Starfield and Alan Wake 2. And what is happening now is that detail is lost in youtube compression and then further hidden in tiny gifs. Not to mention the HDR effect. You brought up the VHS filter, well the lack of HDR removes that filter from gifs because all the colors im seeing are gone as i have to capture the gifs in SDR.

I dont know how many times i take videos and as soon as im done converting them, im like wtf happened. New artifacts are added. The games no longer look crisp even though they are technically downscaled. And thats from 1GB video files recorded by GeForce now. Youtube gifs are a lost cause. Try it. Try making a gif and you will see it immediately.

Spiderman looks better on my tv than it does in Musilla's gifs. I told you not to play it in 1440p 40 fps. I tried it after finishing the campaign and it is too grainy, too soft and blurs out all the detail. Their Temporal injection technique is no substitute for DLSS 4k quality. It is worse than FSR2 which has a quality mode thats worse than dlss performance. you might as well be playing at 720p internal resolution there.

I dont think Musilla or anyone else for that matter would waste time recording gifs of poor looking areas. I saw your horizon screenshot the other day and spent several minutes trying to get my game to look like that before finally ending up in plainsong. Didnt bother taking a single screenshot of the bad area let alone record anything to prove you wrong. just not worth the time.

Luckily for us, Chiefdada did just that and while its not technically a gif, you can see that the game's flaws cant be hidden in gif form. You will see the pop-in, the fog, and the complete lack of detail and asset density that we see in musilla's gifs that show the game at its best.
If i can't judge a game on his second best graphic modes over 6 graphic mode then i don't wanna hear word about insomniac being these wizards that give us a lot of options and shit, the game should look great even at 40hz locked mode, again, the second best graphic mode.

And it was not 1440p, that was the unclocked mode.

I also played the fidelity 30 mode for some time but its' not like he was a gigantic difference.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Agreed. And this is coming from someone who’s playing the game on a machine that isn’t top class anymore (2080 Super, 9700K), yet it’s still absolutely mind blowing how good the presentation is. It can genuinely pass for decent/good CGI in a lot of cases. We’re still far away from what something like Planet of the Apes and even the Transformers franchise are doing, but AW2 has certainly gotten closer. It is THE best looking game of the year outside of 2077, and I envy those with the hardware to push it to the max.
Nah, no need to feel left out. I was able to max it out with Path Tracing. Roughly 30 fps in most areas other than the swamp, and it looks virtually identical. The game's biggest selling point is the lighting, asset quality and character models which are great even on low settings. consoles use a mixture of medium to high settings. The lighting is static so PT doesnt make much of a difference. Maybe if it had dynamic time of day it would make a bigger difference.

The biggest difference between consoles, lower end PC hardware and high end PCs is ray traced reflections. They look fantastic but again, you wont notice it unless you are looking for them.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Dude have you not seen Robocop? One of the best fucking action movies ever made tbh. Nancy Allen is the shit too
She was cool as a character but she was not your usual sexy female sidekick, she looked the role of a rough female police officer but still decent looking.

ChiefDada

Dada only uploads creme de la creme quality for his beloved SM2. 4K HDR - Such next gen greatness deserves nothing less.

Reveal Trailer vs Actual Gameplay Grab/IC Takedown

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Of course I’ve seen it I just couldn’t recall her name when I was making my post. Plus the last time I’ve seen it was like 2 decades ago, I don’t remember how the actress looked like…

DanielG165

Nah, no need to feel left out. I was able to max it out with Path Tracing. Roughly 30 fps in most areas other than the swamp, and it looks virtually identical. The game's biggest selling point is the lighting, asset quality and character models which are great even on low settings. consoles use a mixture of medium to high settings. The lighting is static so PT doesnt make much of a difference. Maybe if it had dynamic time of day it would make a bigger difference.

The biggest difference between consoles, lower end PC hardware and high end PCs is ray traced reflections. They look fantastic but again, you wont notice it unless you are looking for them.
That’s genuinely good to know! AW2 is certainly the most demanding game that I currently have installed, so I’m overall happy with how my rig is handling it. I’m looking forward to hopefully being able to invest in an upgrade this time next year, particularly with more games that push the boundaries coming soon.

It’s cool though, as the 2080S can do path tracing, but obviously not nearly as efficiently as newer cards. Like, I’ve played through Portal RTX and had a pretty decent time there, so there’s still life in the 20-series cards yet!

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah i'm doing a rewatch of the first 2 movies while playing the game, the amount of easter eggs is incredible.

ChiefDada

Can we acknowledge the game didn't come anywhere close now (ofcourse it didn't, the trailer was CGI, it was unfair to compare the game to it in the first play)

He looked better than CG Peter:

T8ptgDu.jpg

Anyway i got no hesitations about call Spiderman 2 Next gen, but this generation is just not coming close to mid level cgi like we see for these game trailers.

Only a crazy person would.

ckstine

but pt does really add to the tangibility of it in scenes like the diner. it's subtle, but fucking great

RaduN

Yeah this is the best looking scene in the game. So good.
Compared to Death Stranding of which I sadly have only ps4 slim images(so last gen 1080p). I really HAVE TO replay it in 4k/hdr on ps5 finally.
AW2 are ps5 shots quality mode
YSAsago.jpg

AIx4tTz.jpg

A1NB42P.jpg

scfoi1k.png

kCpRtRT.png

F9iPVUl.png
I'm more impressed by the Death Stranding models tbh. The characters skin in thay game was so freaking amazing, among other things.

PeteBull

Another thing that I appreciate about Robocop. Your partner is a woman in her late 30s but she a) looks cute and b) is likeable. European developers save the day yet again.

NVipreq.jpg
Luckily dev studio is polish, here most of women arent woke yet, ofc some are, but most are still relatively sane, and obviously very lil woke fucks here ;p

Alan wake 2 got an update ..

I'm always a little worried that games with unstable framerate get their resolution lowered or implement DRS and lose their next gen shine.

Not gonna lie it does look a little softer to me today. Hopefully I'm just trippin

T4keD0wN

BSvZT3.png
BSvrUD.png
BSvRsA.png
BSv1Zq.png
BSvgO0.png

Robcop runs on UE 5.2 and looks pretty good, but the reflections and lightning feel really off. Antialiasing also hurts the image a lot in my eyes.
Not impressed by lumen at all so far, on the bright side its a cool game made by a smaller studio and feels much more stable than 99% of unreal engine 4 games.

Bright future ahead for UE5 and nanite this gen if this is anything to go by.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The character models are underwhelming though don't you think?

Robocop looks fantastic which is pretty much all I care about in this area in a game like this.

Yeah but you're on PC, right?

You guys need to stop that mixing and matching business when doing comparisons

I'm sorry but is UE5 exclusive to PC? This is not a platform comparison but technology comparison.

tommib

Gold Member
Alan wake 2 got an update ..

I'm always a little worried that games with unstable framerate get their resolution lowered or implement DRS and lose their next gen shine.

Not gonna lie it does look a little softer to me today. Hopefully I'm just trippin
performance mode on ps5 looks much better after the patch. Also I have VRR. I don’t think I’m going back to quality.

BSvZT3.png
BSvrUD.png
BSvRsA.png
BSv1Zq.png
BSvgO0.png

Robcop runs on UE 5.2 and looks pretty good, but the reflections and lightning feel really off. Antialiasing also hurts the image a lot in my eyes.
Not impressed by lumen at all so far, on the bright side its a cool game made by a smaller studio and feels much more stable than 99% of unreal engine 4 games.

Bright future ahead for UE5 and nanite this gen if this is anything to go by.

Lighting looks good in those screens esp nighttime imo

ckstine

As an artist looking in, that Robocop game smokes anything in this thread. Final Fantasy 16 was trying to do it but the PlayStation 5 was holding back the developers. With Robocop you have actual shaded pixels instead of the typical detailed textures you seen from retail games throughout the generations. This was long overdue for videogames.
Almost none of what you just said makes sense or is right

ChiefDada

As an artist looking in, that Robocop game smokes anything in this thread. Final Fantasy 16 was trying to do it but the PlayStation 5 was holding back the developers. With Robocop you have actual shaded pixels instead of the typical detailed textures you seen from retail games throughout the generations. This was long overdue for videogames.

Love your work.

Utd07NQ.jpg

ckstine

upKiDpA.jpg

The shading in this scene alone is better than anything I have seen in a retail videogame.

You got five different cars in this same scene using the exact same model but look at the difference in shading.
This all looks significantly worse than AW2, and that is coming from someone who has had some major hype (and really enjoyed) the RoboCop game. It's not really close, even.

Top Bottom