• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Darsxx82

HB2 is being praised a lot for the visual level achieved by NT and the use it makes of UE5 features, but I think the artistic work could be equally appreciated...

GPQwG1mWIAAd0ta
GPQuJwHWEAAi0Og
GPQvUBuXcAAjdyJ

GPQwG1yX0AANSTN

Last edited:
Not much talk on Astrobot

I thought it looked decent, but didn’t really wow me considering it’s an exlcusive ps5 platformer

Same ...disappointed by the graphics. Looks the same level as the 2020 Astrobot .. Sony has learned from Nintendo this gen and with no ps5 owners calling them out will continue to be lackluster with graphics fidelity. Maybe Naughty Dogs next game will push things but that's it.

??
The technical limitations of XSS always affect.... when making the XSS version itself. What it does not affect is what the XSX and PS5 version could be. If the XSX and PS5 version run at 30fps it is certainly not XSS's fault. That's what that idiotic fanboy's tweet is implying.

Then, I don't know if XSS has been a limitation to the Studio's ambitions with the game, but it is clear that those reasons that are argued make no sense and contradict each other. First, the amount of Vram does not determine the size of a map. And second, you can't say your world is twice the size of KC1 and then say it could only have been 25% because of XSS Vram limitations. That is to say, it doesn't make sense, there is a contradiction and there is surely something that has been lost along the way.
But bottom line the weaker hardware does affect multi platform games, no?

DF Direct had a segment this week where they asked if Hellblade 2 wouldve won last year over Alan Wake 2 and Avatar, and they all said no and picked Avatar because it feels more interactive compared to the more linear Hellblade 2. They ranked AW2 second last year and said HB2 would tie with it.

I might agree with Avatar still taking the top spot, but HB2 is way ahead of AW2. Right now, i want to pick HB2 over Avatar, but i will wait a few days to get over the honeymoon period.

Timestamped:

I agree, it’s about pure graphic fidelity and right now HB2 has the crown. There are other games that still have best in class aspects about them, like AW2s environments, TLOU 2 character models (cutscenes), animation and baked lighting or Ratchet and Clank Rift Aparts pure fidelity. We still haven’t topped The Order 1886 in some aspects after 9 years…

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lego Horizon looks really good. Especially considering its coming out on Switch day one.

Star Wars Outlaws trailer looked great as well. If there is a downgrade, its minor. The game looks a lot more fun than Avatar.

Audiophile

Liked the aesthetic of the city in the opening shots of the not-in-game Batman: Arkham Shadows trailer. Not for the game itself which will no doubt look nothing like that, but it makes me think of the kinda look/visual quality I expected in big, open-world next-gen current-gen games. Excellent geometry, image stability, smoothly rolled off atmospheric fx/depth and nice global illumination accentuating that golden hour city lighting.

- In an alternate universe Rocksteady retained their talent and spent 10yrs making a ground-breaking new batman game set in a rich, dynamic world that looked just like this with UE5, releasing in 2025!

Last edited:

Msamy

Looks , Amazing it's match the first trailer graphics and gameplay , Ue5 really help small developers also they confirmed thay they using lumen and nanite .

Hunnybun

Lego Horizon looks really good. Especially considering its coming out on Switch day one.

Star Wars Outlaws trailer looked great as well. If there is a downgrade, its minor. The game looks a lot more fun than Avatar.

Lego Horizon looks stunningly good to me, like to the point of I can't quite process it.

I think Astro Bot also looks good btw - clearly better than the pack in game, anyway.

PeteBull

Switch version will be crippled to hell and back, i bet something along the lines of 720p with dynamic res, 30fps with dips etc, it will look nothing like that trailer we just saw xD

Msamy

No idea, but it has a Unreal Engine look to it. i doubt they would port decima engine to the switch
I feel its more likely built on decima than unreal.
Seems like we're finally entering proper next gen territory now - at fucking last.

Can't wait to see what Microsoft show off today. Expecting spectacular things from Doom, Fable, and most of all, Gears 6.
Definitely, also ubisoft will have amazing next gen show tomorrow

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
No idea, but it has a Unreal Engine look to it. i doubt they would port decima engine to the switch just for one game.

lego-horizon-adventures-screenshot-mother-hearts-en-03jun24

lego-horizon-adventures-screenshot-jungle-combat-en-03jun24
This is probably the best looking LEGO game ever. Well... I mean, Skywalker Saga also was great visualy, but not as good as Horizon Adventures. Plus, it looks like Horizon Adventures was influenced a lot by LEGO lego visual design where as Skywalker Saga has more traditional and more realistic 3D visuals. I mean, if you ask me, I love the look and visual design of Horizon Adventures a lot more.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Got a feeling the switch version is gonna look quite... blocky.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Epic released another video of creators making levels in UE5. Similar to the 90 days video where they gave creators 3 days to create a level and they came up with 40 levels in just 90 days.

Looks absolutely gorgeous.

Mark Cerny in an interview pointed out that devs, not tech, is the reason why games are taking so long to make. Everyone wants to make these gigantic games and thats why everything is taking 5-7 years to make. You look at something like astrobot which looks exactly like the PSVR game and it took 4 years to make. Why? Because devs wanted to make a huge game with 150+ levels. Why not focus on fewer levels with new innovative game design and maybe upgrade the graphics so it doesnt look like a ps3 platformer?

geary

Mark Cerny in an interview pointed out that devs, not tech, is the reason why games are taking so long to make. Everyone wants to make these gigantic games and thats why everything is taking 5-7 years to make. You look at something like astrobot which looks exactly like the PSVR game and it took 4 years to make. Why? Because devs wanted to make a huge game with 150+ levels. Why not focus on fewer levels with new innovative game design and maybe upgrade the graphics so it doesnt look like a ps3 platformer?
My bet is that the publishers and devs as well are actually scared to put a 15-20 hours game on the market and price it at 70$. The AAA publisher dont want to price anything lower than this and basically "make" the devs to create 50+ hours games to give the customers a reason to buy a 70$ game.

Every linear 15-20 hour game or less have failed in the last years. There are some unicorns, like RE4 Remake, but are very scarce and are based on very well known and loved IPs.

Hunnybun

Epic released another video of creators making levels in UE5. Similar to the 90 days video where they gave creators 3 days to create a level and they came up with 40 levels in just 90 days.

Looks absolutely gorgeous.

There's definitely too much bloat in a lot of games.

TLOU2, GOWR, and Horizon FW were all literally twice as big as they needed to be.

Everyone goes on and on about Insomniac's productivity, but how much is it just because they just don't make 2 games for the price of 1?

Spider-Man/Spider-Man 2: perfect length for blockbuster releases.
Ratchet/Miles Morales: perfect for smaller or budget releases.

That's got to save at least a year of dev.

DanielG165

So XBS have some the best looking games on the market/coming out, easily. Expedition 23 looks graphically insane, as does DOOM, Fable looks immense, Indy looks freaking incredible, MSFS ‘24 will really be the only game that “challenges” Hellblade 2 this year (though is that really fair?), and HB2 is the graphical king still.

We’ll have to see what Sony announces later on, but outside of Death Stranding 2, they don’t really have anything else that graphically competes consistently with what we saw today.

Msamy

Assian creed shadows, doom ,expedition 33,south of midnight, fable, perfect dark , Microsoft flight simulator, atomfall and finally gears 6 (even its in engine i expect its gameplay to look amazing) finaly showcase with more than 8 true current gen graphics .

Msamy

So XBS have some the best looking games on the market/coming out, easily. Expedition 23 looks graphically insane, as does DOOM, Fable looks immense, Indy looks freaking incredible, MSFS ‘24 will really be the only game that “challenges” Hellblade 2 this year (though is that really fair?), and HB2 is the graphical king still.

We’ll have to see what Sony announces later on, but outside of Death Stranding 2, they don’t really have anything else that graphically competes consistently with what we saw today.
Sony intersted only in live service games this gen

Musilla

Indy looks freaking incredible.

¿Sorry?

Top Bottom