• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
I agree there armour looks really bad and boring. Almost like an AI upscaled version of the original in all its monochromaticness.
I wanna see this nextgen destruction and gore because for now this trailer was a whole ball of nothing.

Still fighting the super boring locusts is not a plus neither, hopefully the game feel is not gonna be just gears1 with better graphic like all the other titles, this shit need a rehaul like gow did, even going from unchy 3 to unchy 4 feel more different than going from g1 to g5 ffs.

Last edited:

CGNoire

The model looks great but its a first person game so not really going to see it.

The lighting has this really bad UE3 brown look to it that i hated back in the PS360 era. I thought we were past that. The volumetric effects and AO/shadows look really last gen too.
Must use some form of raytracing since it suffers from that opaque effects disease that plagued SM2 used to make up for a lack of bandwidth.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Must use some form of raytracing since it suffers from that opaque effects disease that plagued SM2 used to make up for a lack of bandwidth.
Sorry I dont understand what you mean. What opaque effects?

If SP2 had used realtime GI, it wouldve had a far more accurate and pleasing lighting system. It actually looks amazing in most lighting conditions but falls apart more often than not because its not realtime and doesnt have proper GI bounces and AO coverage. Im seeing the same thing here but this should be using Lumen.

CGNoire

Sorry I dont understand what you mean. What opaque effects?

If SP2 had used realtime GI, it wouldve had a far more accurate and pleasing lighting system. It actually looks amazing in most lighting conditions but falls apart more often than not because its not realtime and doesnt have proper GI bounces and AO coverage. Im seeing the same thing here but this should be using Lumen.
Im talking about the opaque smoke in the bottom screenshot like in SM2.

SlimySnake

You know what ... South of Midnight looks A-Ok. Very good art and a different approach of more stylized instead of trying to replicate realistic environments like 99% of games do.

GPphiz5XUAAEnrG

GPqYYsnXkAArStq

GPpgwg8bwAA3Hgf

GPpgwg6aUAAY2IV
It looks absolutely stunning. Like a CG movie made by hollywood. The art direction is excellent but look at those trees. We are finally seeing movie quality assets in games.

When she climbs up that tower to ring the bell, you can see just how high quality those wooden planks really are. Just an insane amount of detail packed in there.

But the art direction is something you would expect from either a sony studio or a hollywood movie. Everything from the environment to the creature design screams talent. A tier talent. This is what Kena shouldve looked like.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I must have watched a different trailers because i didn't noticed these film quality assets in that trailer at all.

But tbf, the stop motion shit was super distracting :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

You know what ... South of Midnight looks A-Ok. Very good art and a different approach of more stylized instead of trying to replicate realistic environments like 99% of games do.

GPphiz5XUAAEnrG

GPqYYsnXkAArStq

GPpgwg8bwAA3Hgf

GPpgwg6aUAAY2IV
In the cutscenes this was up with the best of them imo. Is this unreal engine 5? Some of the best art I’ve seen in a game lately

Xtib81

I must be taking crazy pills cuz I don't see what everybody is blown away by. Some games like Fable do look good, but nothing groundbreaking. Slimysnake you have become soft lately.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I must be taking crazy pulls cuz I don't see what everybody is blown away by. Some games like Fable do look good, but nothing groundbreaking. Slimysnake you have become soft lately.

I don't think anything was necessarily spectacularly beautiful compared to the best next gen games so far (Ratchet, HFW, Spiderman 2), but there were definitely lots that matched and probably exceeded them.

For me it was just more finally seeing a consistent level of visuals that's quite obviously next gen in a way that stuff like TLOU P1, Forza, RE4, Dead Space etc, as good as they looked, never really were.

There were more games of that level shown last night than in the whole of the rest of the gen combined, so it was pretty special really.

Last edited:

Edder1

Xbox Showcase was definitely the best gaming show of current generation and one that made you feel like new gen is really here. There have been shows with impressive looking games in the past, but those shows were always dominated by cross gen shenanigans.

Edit: It's a shame there was no gameplay for Gears of War: E-Day, it would have probably been the game that set new standard in visuals.

Last edited:
Xbox Showcase was definitely the best gaming show of current generation and one that made you feel like new gen really is here. There have been shows with impressive looking games in the past, but those shows were always dominated by cross gen shenanigans.

Edit: It's a shame there was no gameplay of Gears of War: E-Day, it would have probably been the game that would set new standard in visuals (untill someone tops it).
I'm guessing it's a next gen game, they didn't mention series consoles at all.

Hunnybun

Xbox Showcase was definitely the best gaming show of current generation and one that made you feel like new gen really is here. There have been shows with impressive looking games in the past, but those shows were always dominated by cross gen shenanigans.

Edit: It's a shame there was no gameplay of Gears of War: E-Day, it would have probably been the game that would set new standard in visuals (untill someone tops it).

Gears was the only major disappointment for me. I was fully expecting gameplay.

SlimySnake

I must be taking crazy pulls cuz I don't see what everybody is blown away by. Some games like Fable do look good, but nothing groundbreaking. Slimysnake you have become soft lately.
Ive been accused of being soft since last year when I was blown away by Star Wars, Callisto, FF16, Starfield, Spiderman 2, Forza Alan Wake and Avatar. I still also have games where im like wtf is everyone else smoking when praising this trash. UE5 stuff like Remnant, Lords of the Fallen, Robocop and Immortals did nothing for me. But to me, next gen started last year, and while all those games might not have felt next gen at all times, I think they impressed me more often than not.

The games we saw yesterday were more impressive than anything we saw get released last year. Doom is an open world game running at 60 fps and you were flying through a beautiful gorgeous open world planet. Those city shots looked like those CG game trailers we hate. And you can fly through the whole thing at insanely fast speeds.

Fable just takes a big shit all over FF7 Rebirth. It's so plainly obvious how massive of a leap it is compared to other games like Horizon and RDR2. The level of detail in the forest is at a level simply not seen in last gen games. It again feels pre-rendered. same goes for South of Midnight, Expedition 33, and Gears of War. Though Gears of War was pre-rendered. But surely you can see how close those realtime cutscenes and gameplay of Fable, Expedition and South of Midnight come to the pre-rendered Gears trailer.

Im watching the star wars outlaws footage on a crappy 1080p stream right now and while its clearly been downgraded, it still looks amazing. And thats where I am at this point. I know not everything will look like the Matrix demo or Hellblade 2 but i see these games and i see a massive leap over last gen games.

Msamy

Ive been accused of being soft since last year when I was blown away by Star Wars, Callisto, FF16, Starfield, Spiderman 2, Forza Alan Wake and Avatar. I still also have games where im like wtf is everyone else smoking when praising this trash. UE5 stuff like Remnant, Lords of the Fallen, Robocop and Immortals did nothing for me. But to me, next gen started last year, and while all those games might not have felt next gen at all times, I think they impressed me more often than not.

The games we saw yesterday were more impressive than anything we saw get released last year. Doom is an open world game running at 60 fps and you were flying through a beautiful gorgeous open world planet. Those city shots looked like those CG game trailers we hate. And you can fly through the whole thing at insanely fast speeds.

Fable just takes a big shit all over FF7 Rebirth. It's so plainly obvious how massive of a leap it is compared to other games like Horizon and RDR2. The level of detail in the forest is at a level simply not seen in last gen games. It again feels pre-rendered. same goes for South of Midnight, Expedition 33, and Gears of War. Though Gears of War was pre-rendered. But surely you can see how close those realtime cutscenes and gameplay of Fable, Expedition and South of Midnight come to the pre-rendered Gears trailer.

Im watching the star wars outlaws footage on a crappy 1080p stream right now and while its clearly been downgraded, it still looks amazing. And thats where I am at this point. I know not everything will look like the Matrix demo or Hellblade 2 but i see these games and i see a massive leap over last gen games.

I don't see any downgrade in this , definitely best looking game this year alongside hellblade 2, maybe even best consider it's open world

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I must be taking crazy pills cuz I don't see what everybody is blown away by. Some games like Fable do look good, but nothing groundbreaking. Slimysnake you have become soft lately.
It has been like this for a while.

Eventually we all had to re-adjust our expectations for this gen, some more like slimy, some less like me.

I'm not down enough to consider something like south of midnight anything more than cute at best tho, i'm still not sure where the fuck are these movie quality assets :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

SABRE220

Agreed regarding Doom and fable but post downgrade Im really not seeing starwars outlaw as impressive. Its a decent looking current gen game thats about it.

SlimySnake

I must say I did not expect xbox to be the one leading the graphics race this gen so credit where its due, lets see if Sony can wow us because so far their studios dont seem that interested in pushing tech.
it was third parties last year with Remedy, Respawn, bethesda and Ubisoft pushing some incredible next gen visuals and its xbox first party this year along with ubisoft again.

I do think that Sony studios will eventually turn up. They have just been mismanaged and are a year or two late. My only worry is that they will target 60 fps like they did with Demon Souls, Ratchet and Spiderman 2. And now with Wolverine 2.

Looking at Dragon Age's graphics, im sure if bioware can get their shit together, sony studios can too. but unlike last gen, they wont be setting the bar this gen. They let that pass when they chose to make cross gen Horizon, GOW, and GT7. They are no longer the cream of the crop and thats their punishment; being irrelevant for the first 4-5 years of this gen.

Edder1

I don't see any downgrade in this , definitely best looking game this year alongside hellblade 2, maybe even best consider it's open world

Indoor sections look impressive, but what is going on with outdoor areas? The lighting and some of the texture works looks terrible at times. The outdoors definitely got downgraded. UE5 is so far ahead with its nanite geometry compared to the last gen looking rocks from this game.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

it was third parties last year with Remedy, Respawn, bethesda and Ubisoft pushing some incredible next gen visuals and its xbox first party this year along with ubisoft again.

I do think that Sony studios will eventually turn up. They have just been mismanaged and are a year or two late. My only worry is that they will target 60 fps like they did with Demon Souls, Ratchet and Spiderman 2. And now with Wolverine 2.

Looking at Dragon Age's graphics, im sure if bioware can get their shit together, sony studios can too. but unlike last gen, they wont be setting the bar this gen. They let that pass when they chose to make cross gen Horizon, GOW, and GT7. They are no longer the cream of the crop and thats their punishment; being irrelevant for the first 4-5 years of this gen.

I'm sure they'll get over it in time.

Audiophile

One thing's for sure, if you showed me everything being shown this and last year in late 2019/early 2020 and said this is going to be your lot half way through the next generation; I'd be saying, "are you taking the piss"?

HB2 may be impressive, but there's a lot of context as to why, then the likes of Avatar may have a lot of technically impressive stuff in terms of implementations but the actual result to me is very uneven. Star Wars has some elements in it that that are impressive but the overall impression again feels very flawed.

Honestly, all my hope is pinned on the second half of this gen + the transitional nature of this gen (the advancement of dev experience/techniques and HW in RT, ML, Mesh/Virtual Geometry, SSD-I/O-Decomp' and more being introduced) + the scaling up of all those elements next gen.

Through the latter half of PS3 and the bulk of PS4 I was enjoying things in the moment, now I feel like I'm just looking forward with hope. Longing for a revolution in something or another.

Last edited:

setoman

While the interior look great with the VFX.
The outdoors both the environment density/detail and lighting has taken a HUGE downgrade.
Also lighting on characters, characters rendering, etc.
Again watch the first video then watch this.
The reveal cutscenes looked CGI

First Reveal Video

Todays Gameplay Showcase

Last edited:

Audiophile

I legitimately feel like a lot of devs are obsessed with including "systems" when it comes to the visual makeup of a lot of titles and are less concerned with what looks best [much of the time]. In turn a whole lot of other stuff is getting cranked down to compensate. IQ and some assets really are in the toilet at this point. I feel a little torn as I think getting certain things in at a ground level is good for standardising things in the future (especially as a RTGI or Path Tracing fanatic), but at the same time I think they're more concerned with ticking feature boxes than making the best and most cohesive looking game possible on a given piece of hardware.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I legitimately feel like a lot of devs are obsessed with including "systems" when it comes to the visual makeup of a lot of titles and are less concerned with what looks best [much of the time]. In turn a whole lot of other stuff is getting cranked down to compensate. IQ and some assets really are in the toilet at this point. I feel a little torn as I think getting certain things in at a ground level is good for standardising things in the future (especially as a RTGI or Path Tracing fanatic), but at the same time I think they're more concerned with ticking feature boxes than making the best and most cohesive looking game possible on a given piece of hardware.
Some devs have tried to remove Lumen from their games and it doesnt really give them the pixel boost they need.

I think the systems like realtime rendering add more than they take away in pixel counts. We can compare games like Spiderman 2 and Avatar, and games like Hellblade 2 and Alan Wake 2. When it comes to linear games with static time of day, you can have artists go in and get some really good results. But spiderman 2 as good as it can look at times just looks flat other times whereas Avatar cleans out those areas without indirect lighting. Spiderman 2 actually bakes in the light by keeping lighting static but its clear that even baked lighting solutions cant compete. You HAVE to go realtime. You NEED those systems.

With the PS5 Pro coming out in a few months and everything going to PC, you dont really have to play games on base consoles. Just trade those in and upgrade. Ive played Star Wars, Starfield, Alan Wake and Avatar at really high resolutions and they look phenomenal. The volumetric effects, the asset quality and other hard to see features get a big boost thanks to the higher image quality.

Thats why i always play PS5 games at 30 fps. I know that native 4k retains that image quality to really sell the next gen features. So many people played spiderman 2 at sub 1080p 60 fps and missed out on a truly fantastic showpiece.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

Looks good

Yt compression really kill this video even in 4k.

But from what i'm seeing it looks pretty mid, the interactions between characters still look painfully last gen, and the ncps all around still have these weird, glitchy idle animations like they don't know what they are doing...

This is why people hype rockstar games so much...rdr2 still look more believable than this thing is ever gonna be.

Combat looks slower and heavier but some animations still looks janky like the finishers.

Last edited:

DanielG165

I’m currently playing through DOOM Eternal again off of the hype from Dark Ages, and it is incredible how good Eternal still looks in 2024. Textures, lighting, animations, fidelity and VFX are all top notch, and it runs like freaking butter. Maxed out 4K, yet am managing a locked 60fps, and could likely go higher if I was on a monitor. ID know what they’re doing.

Dark Ages is going to be insane.

Edder1

Here is Star wars outlow 30 min 4k 60 fps broll gameplay from previews looks amazing, maybe some small downgrades

Looks like a mixed bag with some parts looking impressive while others look cross geny. Ubisoft games in general this gen just look very visually inconsistent and definitely less impressive than what they were last gen. I can name at least 4-5 games from Microsoft showcase that blow away anything Ubisoft showed. I guess Microsoft showcase being dominated by UE5 is probably the reason why.

Last edited:
Top Bottom