• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great new Mario Odyssey commercial

Also from the Edge review: there are nearly as many moons in Odyssey as there are Korok seeds in BOTW.

Young me who got all the stars in Mario64 would be thrilled. To adult me this sounds awful. I guess it will easier to get by any areas gated by moons though so that's good. You don't have to stick with trying to get a particularly difficult one.

Metal B

You dont really understand how comercials on TV work to get people excited for a game, do you?

This is the Golden Sun european commercial, this singlehandly sold the game and a gameboy adavance to nearly every person that saw it (the talk and excitement of the ad was amazing to hear during brake times on schools). Only a tiny glimpse of the game was shown in the ending, but kids were savy enough to know what they were getting into by buying the magazine that month, or seeing the copy of a friend that already brought the game to school. It became SO famous, that Camelot used the theater and lamp dragon to create a scenario and summon of it in Golden Sun 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOvwdVp8Fvo&ab_channel=Xephon
... I now want a game, where you battle monsters with a orchestra, which use their music to summon magic!

daTRUballin

Man, I wish I had a Switch so I could experience this game. :(

And the fact that the game is supposedly more in line with something like Mario 64 and Sunshine doesn’t help matters either. :(

mantidor

So... I don't like this song.

I know it's an unpopular opinion but the more I hear it the more I hate it, it seems.... Hollow? I don't know.

sleepnaught

Man, I wish I had a Switch so I could experience this game. :(

And the fact that the game is supposedly more in line with something like Mario 64 and Sunshine doesn’t help matters either. :(
It's time to jump on board, there are several great games to play now with several more coming over the next few months.

ajim

The music just reminds could fit into something like Nights into Dreams / Journey of Dreams so easily.

It's so fun, fantastical and full of awe.

Renna Hazel

Since it was shown in the commercial I guess I'll ask in this thread.

Does anyone know if the co-op is playable without using split joycons? I'd prefer to do it using the pro controller if possible.

Peterc

If you believe some people in this thread, that seems to be the case they're making for the first ~70 seconds containing hardly any gameplay but yet this ad being "good."

I would like to agree with you about commercial should show actual gameplay. But this commercial has it.

Look at ps4 or Xbox commercials. It's always cinematic and not actual gameplay. But it sells, that's why ps4 hype worked. Sony is really good in that. So yes to sell you need to kind of "fake it".

Peterc

I know it's an unpopular opinion but the more I hear it the more I hate it, it seems.... Hollow? I don't know.

The question rather will be what kind of music you like.

Sometimes it could be because of your age.
Or maybe because you have a one line genre in music. Or you hate jazz/musicals sound. It's a shame but I'll accept your taste.

mantidor

Be honest, you just want some to tell you to delete your account

I'm being completely honest but I have no idea what this meme is about, I kind of want it to be about RuPauls Drag Race but I doubt it. :p

The question rather will be what kind of music you like.

Sometimes it could be because of your age.
Or maybe because you have a one line genre in music. Or you hate jazz/musicals sound. It's a shame but I'll accept your taste.

I hate jazz/musicals, I'll admit it, but I'm not like completely against it, I usually tolerate it, it's just this tune in particular.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

Well, it's a funny, catchy nonsensical tune, i doubt they aimed for the heights of Elvis Costello or something

Coda

I would like to agree with you about commercial should show actual gameplay. But this commercial has it.

Look at ps4 or Xbox commercials. It's always cinematic and not actual gameplay. But it sells, that's why ps4 hype worked. Sony is really good in that. So yes to sell you need to kind of "fake it".

Yup very true all the people interested in the game has already seen plenty of gameplay already anyway. Really wish the game was out already as I'm on a trip and it would be the perfect companion for it.

Peltz

I like a combo of showmanship and gameplay for a commercial. Reveal trailers, however, should be almost entirely gameplay with very little cinematics.

Cringe as fuck.

Looks like we'll never see a Mario soundtrack anywhere near the god tier of Mario Galaxy.

Galaxy is definitely special. That orchestra made some incredible tunes.

Plum

Thought I'd bump to say that the cut-down version of this appeared right in the middle of tonight's X-Factor in the UK (with family, I'd never be watching otherwise). It just mixed random parts from the real life scenes and random gameplay bits together, not exactly very special but it managed to show off all the game has to offer quite well.

Still though, what a slot to have. This game is going to be huge.

Waiting for this game got me like:
giphy.gif

Top Bottom