• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grubb: Xbox Showcase (+Cod Direct) 2hrs Long - Featuring 30 Games - Handful Never Heard/Seen Before

reinking

Gold Member
I thought we have learned by now not to fall for this again.
City Of Angels Showtime GIF by Penny Dreadful: City of Angels

ByWatterson

The most interesting part of this by far will be scouring the blog posts after to see which games are coming to Playstation.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I just want to be excited for more than one game. I mean, I know I’m going to play some more stuff later this fall like Indiana Jones and Avowed, but nothing other than AdtroBot has me excited for all three consoles.

I really hate this generation.

clarky

Gold Member
I just want to be excited for more than one game. I mean, I know I’m going to play some more stuff later this fall like Indiana Jones and Avowed, but nothing other than AdtroBot has me excited for all three consoles.

I really hate this generation.
Well Switch is at end of life, Xbox has seemingly shat the bed and PlayStation is not firing on even half power just now, so i can understand your frustration.

Lets see if they can turn things around and bring the goods tomorrow.

Topher

Gold Member
Well Switch is at end of life, Xbox has seemingly shat the bed and PlayStation is not firing on even half power just now, so i can understand your frustration.

Lets see if they can turn things around and bring the goods tomorrow.

I really did not think we would be entirely dependent on Xbox for a decent showcase this year.

Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

I really did not think we would be entirely dependent on Xbox for a decent showcase this year.

Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Microsoft is the only one that shows games well into the distant future anymore

Showcases for Nintendo and Sony look to be rare, they’d rather only focus on the immediate future than spill the beans on the next few years

As a fan it sucks, especially since the big blowout E3s were a huge amount of fun…but it’s over Jim

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

Showcases for Nintendo and Sony look to be rare, they’d rather only focus on the immediate future than spill the beans on the next few years

As a fan it sucks, especially since the big blowout E3s were a huge amount of fun…but it’s over Jim

The flipside is that people complain about the lack of game play shown during Microsoft's conferences.

clarky

Gold Member
45 minutes to an hour will be COD.
If that's the case then everything else (29 games) has 2 minutes with zero breaks or painful deep dives into scans of Icelandic rocks.

I can live with out the rocks but a game every 2 minutes for an hour and 1 game for the other hour does not sound like great pacing to me.

Ozriel

M$FT

That certainly wasn’t true for last year’s showcase. Or this year’s developer direct.

YviSqGO.jpeg

There’s nothing on that list that screams ‘well into the distant future’. Most of that list have either released or are 2024 games.

You did say you really enjoyed last year’s MS showcase…

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

They've almost entirely stopped doing that since they got all the flack for announcing games purely with CG trailers circa 2020. They got rightfully shat-on for that.

Most of those are already out, some like Steel Wakes the Deep are releasing in a week or and a couple more releasing in the next couple of months.

Not exactly the 'everything releases in 12 months' from 2 years ago but still pretty good.

Last edited:
You did say you really enjoyed last year’s MS showcase…

It was a good showcase. Unfortunately the games that looked good ended up being poor when they released

They've almost entirely stopped doing that since they got all the flack for announcing games purely with CG trailers circa 2020. They got rightfully shat-on for that.

The just showed off Fable and Blade last year, so still doing it.

adamsapple

Last edited:

adamsapple

They re-revealed it at least two years (likely more) before release

~2 year window is fine and is what most games generally tend to do anyway. Like we've all said and agreed, they revealed a lot of games in 2020 that weren't anywhere in states to be ready. That's the kind of practice thankfully only happens very rarely these days.

~2 year window is fine and is what most games generally tend to do anyway. Like we've all said and agreed, they revealed a lot of games in 2020 that weren't anywhere in states to be ready. That's the kind of practice thankfully only happens very rarely these days.

If Fable is a no show tomorrow it’ll be at least 3 years out from re-reveal. I don’t think it’s coming summer 2025

T0minator

Snoy currently has so few games that their fans will do an investigation on a Microsoft event all giddied up hoping for scraps.

Unfortunately, Sony didn't the majority of their line up 4+years before they showed gameplay like some brand do.

But I wouldn't say PS has "few" games

Helldivers 2
Concord
Stellar Blade
Rise of the Ronin
Astro Bot
Lego Horizon

Ghost of Tsushima 2
New Espionage IP/MP - Bend Studios.
Death Stranding 2
Marathon
Fairgame$
Venom

New IP - Naughty Dog
Wolverine
New IP - Santa Monica
Horror Adventure- Firesprite
Horizon Co-op MP game - Guerrilla

2027+
New IP - Bluepoint
New IP - Media Molecule
God of War Egypt - Santa Monica
TLOU Part 3 - Naughty Dog
Horizon 3 Nemesis
New IP - Housemarque

Ozriel

M$FT
If Fable is a no show tomorrow it’ll be at least 3 years out from re-reveal. I don’t think it’s coming summer 2025

That’s certainly not definitive way of determining when games are released.
I remember when people used to say Indiana Jones was going to be a 2027 game because it wasn’t in last year’s showcase.

Like I said most other companies aren’t doing even that

If Fable isn’t shown tomorrow it’s likely 2026

Really? Marathon and Fairgame$ would beg to differ.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Today's the day. Let's gooooo squad!

I'm excited for a C rank showcase after how shit everything has been. If it's above a c rank for me I'll be stoked lolol

That’s certainly not definitive way of determining when games are released.
I remember when people used to say Indiana Jones was going to be a 2027 game because it wasn’t in last year’s showcase.

Really? Marathon and Fairgame$ would beg to differ.

I think both of those games will release in 2026.

If we are using those teaser trailers as examples, Fable was done initially many years ago in 2020

Ozriel

M$FT
I think both of those games will release in 2026.

If we are using those teaser trailers as examples, Fable was done initially many years ago in 2020

You started this by saying that nobody else puts games in their showcase that are more than a few years away. Using the 2022 and 2023 MS showcases, I think your claim has been thoroughly disproven.

Not sure why you’re bringing up blade with adamsapple adamsapple . That was revealed at TGA, not at any Xbox showcase.

Time to move on from this, anyway

ByWatterson

Snoy currently has so few games that their fans will do an investigation on a Microsoft event all giddied up hoping for scraps.

If you're a silly console warrior I suppose. Otherwise it's sort of a given here that industry movements are super interesting and it's fun to watch them.

DryvBy

Last year's Starfield Direct was 30.

Where did you pull out this 45 to an hour thing from?

edit: No it was 45 minutes afterall.

Not an insult either. If they have enough to show, why not? And it's not because of MS. COD has always had a 30-60 min show for the last several years.

Sony showed off Concord which felt like 45-60 minutes of my life wasted. At least COD is legit that time lol

15 CG trailers of games we won’t see for the next 3 years.
10 projects being announced with just a logo that we won’t see for the next 5 years.
3 in engine trailers that get mislabelled as “gameplay trailer”.
And 2 real gameplay trailers of games that will be delayed big time after internet backlash.
So to come back to this:
Having watched it I was surprised at the amount of ingame and in-engine trailers. Lots of gameplay was shown too.

This was a great showcase and update on the projects they are working on. They've showed more (first party stuff) than Sony did in 3 years. And lots of it looked good.

So I was wrong. I'm a pessimistic asshole and I'm sorry for that. :)

Top Bottom