• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Trailer (60 FPS)

diaspora

Damn. I'm gonna need a new CPU before I can even think about getting 60fps. It bottlenecks my GPU so bad.

Anyone know if the retail copies of GTA V will activate on Steam? I'm looking to grab one of those instead.

IIRC they don't. R* drm trash.

def sim

I've gone ahead and ignored the console version since release and I'm glad this is almost, finally out. Good gosh.

For those wondering the music is : "MNDR – Lock & Load feat. Killer Mike".

Track 8.

actual_1425655389.jpg

Damn how is this album not out yet...

The Llama

Damn. I'm gonna need a new CPU before I can even think about getting 60fps. It bottlenecks my GPU so bad.

Anyone know if the retail copies of GTA V will activate on Steam? I'm looking to grab one of those instead.

What CPU and GPU do you have? tbh you shouldn't lose faith, given how poor the consoles CPU's are.

And pretty sure the only copies that will activate on Steam are those actually bought on Steam.

nkarafo

I know that most will hang me for this but i hope there is a 30fps lock option (like in PC Ghostbusters). I assume the majority of users won't be able to play this at steady 60fps with decent settings and resolution so a 30fps option should be at least better than a variable rate that goes smooth and then slows down every few seconds. That's pretty jarring, at least a more steady 30fps rate will be easier to get used to.

Komo

Banned
What CPU and GPU do you have? tbh you shouldn't lose faith, given how poor the consoles CPU's are.

And pretty sure the only copies that will activate on Steam are those actually bought on Steam.

CPU - AMD Phenom X6 1055T (2.4Ghz)
GPU - GTX 970

You can see how this may cause problems <-<

Also sucks about the activation. I'd really prefer to get a physical copy.

I know that most will hang me for this but i hope there is a 30fps lock option (like in PC Ghostbusters). I assume the majority of users won't be able to play this at steady 60fps with decent settings and resolution so a 30fps option should be at least better than a variable rate that goes smooth and then slows down every few seconds. That's pretty jarring, at least a more steady 30fps rate will be easier to get used to.

GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas had this. I'd welcome it

nkarafo

Also sucks about the activation. I'd really prefer to get a physical copy.
Yeah. Those 65 Gigabytes will be a pain to download if you go digital. Especially if you have a crappy connection. I can only download 500 something kilobytes/sec :(

Nothing wrong with that way of looking at things at all! I'd also take smooth 30 over wild fluctuations.

The Llama

Yeah. Those 65 Gigabytes will be a pain to download if you go digital. Especially if you have a crappy connection. I can only download 500 something kilobytes/sec :(

71GB free on my SSD right now. So tempting to install it there... but really not a good idea XD.

The point is completely different.

Stutter you mention is caused by game engine rendering and has nothing to do with display.
Let's go to digital foundry:
Bloodborne
Though its 30fps average is technically correct, Bloodborne often produces two unique frames followed by two duplicates - rather than one after another - creating a perception of frame-rate drops throughout.
30 fps - stuttering.

NFS Rivals
As a result, the tweak minimises a problem on PC that's common to console platforms: the frame-pacing issue. Even on the latest patch version 1.01, this persists throughout the 30fps play on PS4 and Xbox One, just as it did in our preview analysis of the game. In a nutshell, the uneven spread of unique frames creates the sensation of screen judder, making panning camera motions appear to stutter. This is despite the overall frame-rate average sustaining the target 30fps mark. It's a curious quirk of the engine that we see in Frostbite 3 driven Battlefield games on PC too, where the engine occasionally renders two duplicate frames followed by two unique frames to cause a perception of performance being lower than it actually is.

KZ Shadowfall
qmMW5Qv.png

So. Stuttering is caused by poor engine coding and in severe cases nothing prevents you from experiencing the issue even @60 or 120 fps. Has nothing to do with display refresh rate - decent engine, consistent 45 fps = no stuttering.

Don't mix up green and cold otherwise you are trying to prove that 30 fps is superior to locked rock solid 59 fps.

After you've read Xyber's response to this you should probably go and re-read the entire discussion. You're still very wrong in claiming that a consistent 45 fps lacks stuttering and nothing you've posted actually supports the claim. In fact, I can't figure out the logic behind your examples -whatsoever-. We're discussing locked 30 and locked 60 over locked 45... you get that? You get that an 'average 30fps' is not the same as a 'locked 30fps', right? And locked 45 introduces a constant judder on a 60hz, period, because every third frame is on screen twice as long as the one before it. Deal with it. You're under the impression that stutter can only be caused by incorrect frame timing,which can be a contributor but is absolutely not the only factor, lmao wtf, and you're outright denying actual facts about refresh rate and how multiples have always been preferred for these exact reasons.

I wouldn't argue that locked 30fps is superior to, say, Mario Kart 8's locked '59fps' with AI, because in the latter example, one frame is repeated one time on a 60hz display creating an almost unnoticeable judder - that is still very much there and still very much jarring to a small handful of people on GAF if you recall.

I would argue that locked 30fps is superior to locked 45fps because in the latter example, a THIRD, 15 out of 45, of the total frames displayed during that single second are going to be displayed for 2/60ths of a second, instead of just 1. It's very simple. When you lock a game at 30 or 60fps and it still judders, it implies deeper issues with the engine, sure, but that's not common, and it doesn't neatly address the PHYSICAL frame-timing issues of putting up an image that refreshes 45 times a second on a screen locked to refreshing 60 times that second, like you think it does.

DOWN

Banned
TIL time of day changes textures.

Mapping and light direction tho, no? I'm looking at the wall. That PS4 pic is super blurry, so sharpness is hard to gauge (obviously it will be less than PC, but that image is not a good way to see how much), and the angle of light in the PC shot causes higher shadow contrast and color contrast, giving a more detailed appearance than it might in flatter lighting like the direct light in the PS4 shot.

GavinUK86

Just lock it to 30 yourself.

Trailer put me to sleep, boring song, rehashed mission footage, etc etc etc
Instead of showing us cutscenes rendered to a higher fidelity, show us dynamic gameplay action (60fps car chase, 60fps gunplay, etc). Most have already played the game, we need amazing draw distances, crisp IQ, etc... I don't need to see story cutcenes. A glorified "60fps" trailer needs to show 60fps gameplay.

I'd prefer less stylized cinematography, & more pure gameplay.

As much as I want to downsample this at 60, there is no way I'm paying full price for a game that I already shelled out 60 bones for on the PS3.

It baffles me to see people talking about a third full priced purchase.

This is probably the first time ive explicitly said "holy fuck..." after watching a trailer for a videogame; not even gonna lie.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Every key sold outside of Steam itself is for Social Club. GTAV is going to be the first game delivered using it.

Every key sold outside of Steam itself is for Social Club. GTAV is going to be the first game delivered using it.

Wrong. Max Payne 3 did the exact same thing too. I was bummed because I bought the game on retail expecting a Steam key and realized that I needed Rockstar Social Club as well.

Has anyone been able to get a response from Rockstar in regards to what kind of PC the footage was captured from?

That way we can know for certain how well the game will perform.

Rizific

im assuming it's a code in the box? i don't have an optical drive hooked up in my pc

I would think so. Otherwise, they are gonna have to pack like 8 DVDs into the box.

you think they would sell physical pc games in store with a box that only contains a download code? they will come with discs and a printed cd key to activate or download, like they have been for the past how many years. the last two pc games i bought from bby (evolve and dying light) have both. evolve is a 50gb game and came with 4 dvds.

caleb1915

CPU - AMD Phenom X6 1055T (2.4Ghz)
GPU - GTX 970

You can see how this may cause problems <-<

It may (I REPEAT: MAY!) be possible this game engine scales well to multiple cores, and since you have a very capable GPU you might be able to brute force your way through the CPU bottleneck and achieve pretty high quality settings at a fps higher than 30. 45 avg probably depending on how well this game is optimized.

Which if it's anything like the Max Payne 3 PC port will be quite good.

Social Club has been around for years now however thus far it has not been used as a Steam-like download manager for R*'s games. I had a very similar discussion with somebody else just the other day. ;)

And you were wrong that time, too? Social Club is a launcher. It is not a downloader. Unless there's an eleventh hour update to Social Club to change that, nothing about its services for GTAV haven't been done in other Rockstar titles - handling multiplayer for Max Payne 3, tracking achievements for previous games, etc.

Huh? You were the one arguing that LA Noire and Max Payne 3 were downloaded through Social Club; I was arguing the contrary.

Never mind - the wording was unclear. I said "delivered by Social Club," meaning it uses their DRM. You said "downloaded through," which I took as a generalization of their services, not literally downloaded through like Steam was.

Your winky-face bragging posthumously is still really passive-aggressive.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Unless there's an eleventh hour update to Social Club to change that, nothing about its services for GTAV haven't been done in other Rockstar titles - handling multiplayer for Max Payne 3, tracking achievements for previous games, etc.

To address this: Both GMG and Nuuvem (and probably others) did not mention their Max Payne 3 keys were for Social Club because said keys were first required during the installation process, a process that uses a traditional installer. That with GTAV both sites are now saying that the keys are for Social Club is why there's reason to believe it is going to be a little different to R*'s previous games. Steam keys, even those pertaining to games that use third-party DRM (like Max Payne 3), are said to be for Steam. Uplay keys are said to be for Uplay. Origin keys are said to be for Origin. If GTAV were going to be a repeat of history then it stands to reason that the keys would be listed as "other DRM" as was seen with Max Payne 3 and LA Noire (before R* started providing Steam keys to all DD retailers), since to even get to the point where you'd activate the key on Social Club you'd first need to use it with the installer.

Your winky-face bragging posthumously is still really passive-aggressive.

You misunderstand. I use the winking smiley to convey light-heartedness -- in this case, I didn't want him to get the impression that I had expected him to be aware of that post, which I figured was a possibility given I said it was made very recently. I'm many things, but I'd like to think a pompous dick isn't one of them.

Dries

I also expected Rockstar to show off their "almighty PC-exclusive" video editor.

Can't wait for Independence FM though. I'll probably have more fun picking music than playing the game lol.

On Demand

Banned
Different times of day and that PS4 shot is blurry as hell, so it's hard to know how different. Trailer looks great though.

Just ignore any PC screens you see being compared to PS4. The PC pictures are from RS and have been touched up. Everything is in the right place at the right angle with the right lighting. The PS4 screens are in game and compressed taken with the camera or share button. You absolutely can not compare the two that way.

With PS4 you have LOD pop in with those shots. PS4 has just as much vegetation as that PC pic with Trevor-

That other PS4 pic was taken further away and not at the exact location.

Top Bottom