• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

ViciousDS

Banned
Lololol we hit tribute and I watched all the expert guitar players just drop in ranking.....I'm sorry if you are not used to bar chords and stuff yet......it's called lower your difficulty a notch. If you are hitting less than 80% on a difficulty it's called lower it till you get better. All these expert players are bombing thinking they will be able to handle everything like its the same old spiel.

antitrop

Lololol we hit tribute and I watched all the expert guitar players just drop in ranking.....I'm sorry if you are not used to bar chords and stuff yet......it's called lower your difficulty a notch. If you are hitting less than 80% on a difficulty it's called lower it till you get better. All these expert players are bombing thinking they will be able to handle everything like its the same old spiel.

What Hero Level are you? I'm at 13 and most of the people I get matched with are still playing on Advanced.

Yaari

I'm not sure why Amazon.de can't just ship my bundle out before the 23st. It's not like I'm getting it prior to the EU launch anyway. :(.

dcassell

Banned

Playing on expert and suffering through is how you get better faster! I've not dropped from expert once in the last two days and I've gotten loads better through trial by fire. It's just funny. The death metal and really acrobatic stuff is not too hard for me, but once I get weird chords thrown at me I get destroyed and have to stop for a second to think. It's been an awesome two days getting used to the new guitar.

antitrop

The death metal and really acrobatic stuff is not too hard for me, but once I get weird chords thrown at me I get destroyed and have to stop for a second to think. It's been an awesome two days getting used to the new guitar.

Yup, I just got my ass kicked by fucking OneRepublic.

ViciousDS

Banned
Playing on expert and suffering through is how you get better faster! I've not dropped from expert once in the last two days and I've gotten loads better through trial by fire. It's just funny. The death metal and really acrobatic stuff is not too hard for me, but once I get weird chords thrown at me I get destroyed and have to stop for a second to think. It's been an awesome two days getting used to the new guitar.

Nnoooo it's that fucking anthrax song.....it's so stupid

fernoca

Good thing I work until past midnight, then work again tomorrow until 5PM.
Amazon shipped my copy just now and should be here tomorrow by the time I get back from work.

antitrop

Deliver Us by In Flames has an amazingly fun Expert chart.
I can't believe In Flames is still making music. I started listening to them in high school about 15 years ago and I was sure Anders Fridén's voice was going to go out before the end of the decade. I know he doesn't sing in the same style as 90s In Flames, but the fact the he can even still speak at all is impressive.

Some pictures of GH Premium (which you unlock at level 6):

HDY0Z9b.png

From the 2 above screenshots, you can pay 210 Hero Cash OR get 3 stars on any difficulty on the 3 songs they list in order to unlock that Premium set. Take note, though, that if you decide to play those 3 songs they list, they will each cost 1 token.

Also, in terms of the Hero Cash, I just played 1 of the 3 songs, and it went down from 210 HC to 140 HC. If you play 2 out of the 3 songs, the price of HC will go lower (not sure how much lower since I haven't played another song yet).

99 cents = 300 HC, for those wondering.

Some of the Player Cards you can unlock later:

Currently playing on Advanced. Having a great time. I'll try some Expert here and there but still not comfortable.

ViciousDS

Banned
The three songs for the queen, survivor and disturbed premium is

We are the champions, eye of the tiger and stricken

Btw the 3 songs they list cost a token if you haven't played them in GHTV

dcassell

Banned
It Must Really Suck To Be Four Year Strong Right Now by Four Year Strong is such an awesome punk-rock guitar track. It's pretty intense at the beginning, and I swear those open notes are lagged a little bit, but it's been the only one I've been super psyched to play over and over again in this game. Excellent chart.

I've put in a bit of time in GHTV, and so far I have 195 credits. I redeemed $20 of credit from the Gamestop pre order bonus, which gave me about 180 plays total. Since then, I've played about 20 songs in the song select menu, and have broken even with some of the songs I've played from the channel and leveling up. Just hit lvl 11.

dcassell

Banned
There's something oddly wonderful about people getting their asses kicked by stuff that would usually be low tier.

That goddamn Avril Lavigne track was the only one I had to restart a few times to really get in the campaign. Totally caught on to Shadow Moses and King for a Day no problem.

I'm tempted to get this, but if it becomes impossible to play the songs I want in GH Live, I don't think I will.

So is that how play tokens are designed? Each level progressively requires more experience to max out and receive them?

And I heard about daily tokens. How many do you get?

ViciousDS

Banned
I'm tempted to get this, but if it becomes impossible to play the songs I want in GH Live, I don't think I will.

So is that how play tokens are designed? Each level progressively requires more experience to max out and receive them?

And I heard about daily tokens. How many do you get?

You can buy tokens with in game currency as well.....I just quit the game to go play something else....but I'm fairly certain you can basically buy tokens using the currency at a nearly 1:1 ratio for the packs

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just played an hour of random GHTV songs.

I am fucking addicted. This is great

Thats not how this works. Youre supposed to be ashamed and outraged, not enjoying yourself.

Keep up damn it

antitrop

Don't waste your Coins on Plays unless you really want them.

The guitar upgrades that unlock at like Level 10 or whatever are essential to staying on the leaderboard, and they ain't cheap (starts at 6,000).

Don't waste your Coins on Plays unless you really want them.

The guitar upgrades that unlock at like Level 10 or whatever are essential to staying on the leaderboard, and they ain't cheap (starts at 6,000).
This. Of all the things about this game, this is my least favorite. The guitar upgrades are basically a toll/tax to be on the same playing field as everybody else. At least they're persistent and not consumables.

ViciousDS

Banned
So I could theoretically play enough of the channels to get the upgrades and, assuming they don't add more upgrades, from them on just buy plays?

Sure.....you can also play premium shows to get consumables for 2x xp and money as well. Plus premium shows unluck special goodies such as player tags and highways if you get first place the first time through

antitrop

Shit, that Freak on a Leash music video takes me back to middle school.

I don't care how lame KoRn is anymore, when Jonathan Davis screams "GO" that shit still gets me hyped.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

I don't care how lame KoRn is anymore, when Jonathan Davis screams "GO" that shit still gets me hyped.

Does Korn even still exist?

Got to play for an hour or two tonight. Really enjoying it so far. Guitar Hero TV is a lot of fun and has a pretty good mix of stuff. The new controller takes a bit of time to get used to though.

killroy87

This. Of all the things about this game, this is my least favorite. The guitar upgrades are basically a toll/tax to be on the same playing field as everybody else. At least they're persistent and not consumables.

guitar upgrades? you either play well or you don, what do these even give you?

antitrop

guitar upgrades? you either play well or you don, what do these even give you?

There are 4 upgrade categories.

- More Hero Power lines will appear in each song
- Notes give more points
- Maximum multiplier increase
- Multiplier fill-rate increase

So, yeah, they're essential.

sneaky77

I was actually serious :(

I haven't heard about them in years, can't even remember their last album.

Korn was my jam in the 90s :(

They just played a concert where I live last week where they played their full original album for a 20 yr anniversary

Still one of my favourite bands

I have this en route to my place, and look forward to playing its metal songs.

By the way under quick play you can play GH Live songs with a vocalist or another guitar. Just putting that out there since there were people saying you couldn't do it at all earlier.

antitrop

They just played a concert where I live last week where they played their full original album for a 20 yr anniversary
I can't imagine old Jonathan Davis singing ADIDAS. I don't want to.

Seriously though, that's really cool.

EDIT: Wait, ADIDAS was on Life is Peachy, not the self-titled, oops. :)

Defect

There are 4 upgrade categories.

- More Hero Power lines will appear in each song
- Notes give more points
- Maximum multiplier increase
- Multiplier fill-rate increase

So, yeah, they're essential.
So if you buy all the upgrades then you'll be on an "even" playing field right?

antitrop

Can you play the Live songs mixed with on demand songs or do you always have to switch back out?
You have to switch back out, but there's actually a GHTV button on the controller that makes it pretty simple to switch.

Overall, the UI is slick, everything moves quickly and you don't get caught up in loading screens or anything.

So if you buy all the upgrades then you'll be on an "even" playing field right?

If you prioritize guitar upgrades, you will have a huge advantage over someone that is prioritizing buying more Plays when it comes to the leaderboard. It's an even playing field up until you unlock the upgrades at Level 10.

zeroroute

Banned
I'm kinda on the fence about buying this and have a couple questions

1) Even though the the Wii U version has no off tv play, can I plug headphones into the gamepad and receive the audio?

2)My internet is pretty cringeworthy (1.5 down 0.3 up, most smash and kart 8 sessions are near flawless). Do you think I could access GHTV with little to no problem?

Hawk269

So I decided to get this game after swearing off of both Rock Band 4 and GH. I bought RB4 solely because they got U2 and I could not resist...but the more I read about GH I was getting tempted. When I came home today, my wife told me that Best Buy had the 2 Guitar Pack of the game and she told me to go get it.

So far, we are loving the game. While I do love RB4, the changes they made to this one is impressive and we both really enjoy the live concert look and also the on-line mode.

I do have a few questions/complaints in regards to the Xbox One version (not sure if others are the same).

1. I don't like that you have to have a USB dongle in order for it to work. For starters, we have a external HDD in one of the back ports. So when we put one of the USB receivers in the back, we were getting very poor signal. We only sit about 8' away and it was pretty bad.

So my question about the above, can you use a USB hub that has 2-3 USB inputs and be able to use 2 Guitars and a Microphone? Would it work being fed off of just one of the Xbox One USB ports going into the hub?

2. How do you or can you change the difficulty when you go into on-line portion of the game? I could not seem to find it. The only way I could change it is backing out to the main game, changing the difficulty, then going back to the online portion.

3. I notice a bit of hic-up's/lag or something like that when in the on-line mode. We are on a wired connection with a very fast internet. Is this normal?

Outside of that, I am really impressed with it moreso than RB4. I do love the ability to buy songs and play and restart them at my leisure, but I also like the changes GH has made with the Guitar itself and the presentation.

I kinda wish the guitar had 10 buttons so I would still have to move my hard up and down th guitar neck . . . That'd probably be too much to ask for of the average player, at least at first.

Top Bottom