• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

ViciousDS

Banned
There are commercials?

its more like an intermission every 3 songs for about 20 seconds, its to load the charts for the next few songs and get everyone buffered. It's not REAL commericials, just informing you of new tracks real quick and whats currently playing on GHTV

sneaky77

I only had a chance to quickly play the first two songs, I'm glad there's a new guitar to play and learn, I like the concept and I'm looking forward to playing it more

Z3M0G

I found these details interesting on the PSN Store page:

1-3 players
Network Players 2-10
1080i HD Video Output
Online Play (Optional)

How do you play this with up to 10 players?

Also, wouldn't 1080i impact accuracy?

dem0neyes

This game wasn't even on my radar at all after the initial reveal and i was content on playing expert drums in rockband as my main rhythm game for a while. Holy hell this game is so much fun. The new fret setup feels soooo much better and despite all the negativity for GHTV it's a lot of fun to be able to just sit and play random songs against random people and have all of them see my name when i win :D

Z3M0G

In GHTV mode you can play with up to 9 other players.

No clue about 1080i, looks like a typo.

I was thinking it might not be though... since this game uses full screen video throughout...

Can anyone confirm the game is truly 1080p?

I was wondering if this could explain some of the gameplay issues people are having...

Paragon Pariah

Neo Member
I tried to go in with an open mind, but after playing some Live shows last night I have no idea what they were thinking with that on disc set list. When I think of great guitar songs, I definitely do not think of Rihanna or Eminem. I don't even know if I will finish the Live portion of the game, the music selection is that bad.

That being said, I actually am enjoying the new button layout. The FMV doesn't make me feel like I am at a show, but it is entertaining in a goofy kind of way. GHTV has much better songs than the Live portion so I have been having a blast playing through that mode and getting used to the new guitar.

ViciousDS

Banned
I tried to go in with an open mind, but after playing some Live shows last night I have no idea what they were thinking with that on disc set list. When I think of great guitar songs, I definitely do not think of Rihanna or Eminem. I don't even know if I will finish the Live portion of the game, the music selection is that bad.

That being said, I actually am enjoying the new button layout. The FMV doesn't make me feel like I am at a show, but it is entertaining in a goofy kind of way. GHTV has much better songs than the Live portion so I have been having a blast playing through that mode and getting used to the new guitar.

casual audience probably was a big deciding factor the in setlist......

all in all though I actually liked the Rihanna song lol, and even Berzerk seemed to fit in for a low tier song.

dem0neyes

I did the first set for the Live portion and never plan to go back.

killroy87

Some of the on disc stuff is bad, I agree. And it's artificially harder, since they aren't mapping notes to actual guitar sounds you aren't able to get in the zone and have some sort of educated guess as to what's coming. Obviously I do best on the songs that I know well, then second best on songs that have good guitar licks, and I do worst on songs that I don't know AND don't have any discernable guitar pattern.

That said, I do like some of the tracks too. The Lumineers/Monsters & Men/Mumford set works super well and is fun, especially considering the venue you're at.

I'm still incredibly put off by the FMV's. That's not how actual bands behalve on stage.

Spoiler alert: they're not actual bands, and you're not in an actual band. This is actually a video game and they're just a funny and exaggerated visual representation of how you're doing.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I was disappointed in the set list at first but after playing for like 6 or 7 hours I love playing a lot of these songs I'd never heard of before. That MGMT song is probably my favorite song to play so far. That fucking video rules so hard lol

BashNasty

Spoiler alert: they're not actual bands, and you're not in an actual band. This is actually a video game and they're just a funny and exaggerated visual representation of how you're doing.

Yea, I really like the FMV stuff. It's campy and brings back the feel of old-school FMV games, which I always thought were great. Just don't take it too seriously and you'll have a great time. I particularly love when the entire band starts to get pissed at you.

creatchee

Had a two hour session last night. Some thoughts:

- I've played Expert guitar since Guitar Hero II. Part of my loss of enthusiasm for rhythm games over the past few years has been the fact that I didn't have to work up to play anything anymore. Either a new song was easy for me and got boring or had such insane parts to it that I had no desire to sit and practice individual sections just to play it in a passable manner. In GH:L, I tried to start in Advanced and was immediately put into my place. It's similar to previous iterations and RB, but different enough to actually have to learn the mechanics of the game all over again. Subsequently, I'll be able to progress through career several times at different difficulty levels without feeling like I'm "playing down". This is what I have wanted for a long time.

- The FMV is really well done and transitions between crowd love and hatred pretty smoothly (at least, I didn't notice anything while playing). In the second song of my first set, when I thought I could bump up the difficulty to advanced, the crowd was booing me and heckling me and my bandmates were giving me WTF looks. Then the song ended and the crowd was all meh when the lead singer announced "this one is called The Kill". It was hilarious and endearing at the same time.

- GHTV is pretty awesome. I didn't spend as much time as I did in Live mode, but I can definitely see myself playing "just one more" until 2 in the morning. The music videos are actually pretty cool, although I definitely missed a few notes trying to check out the girls in the ZZ Top video. :/

- The combination of having to train my muscles to play differently and my lack of plastic guitar over the past couple of years gave me a burning pain in my wrist that I haven't felt since Guitar Hero II. It was magical.

- I haven't really made my mind up on the content delivery system. On one hand, I spent over $2,000 on Rock Band and Guitar Hero DLC last generation - a lot of which I played a few times and was done with. Then again, I could play it at my leisure once I bought it. That said, I like the fact that I can play new songs without actually spending real money to buy them permanently. I do wish that there would be an option to do it either way, but I understand that the business model makes it an all or nothing proposition. Either way, I like the new way and don't feel that it's nickel and diming customers. The way I see it, I bought 40+ songs that I can play whenever I want. After that, I can play new songs randomly or earn/pay for on-demand rentals. I can live with that and actually think it will be better for my wallet in the long run without really affecting my ability to play whatever I want for the most part.

- The new guitar feels really solid. The fret pads are responsive and the clicky stummer is the kind I love.

- Overall, I feel extremely satisfied with my purchase so far.

Woffls

They felt extremely lenient to me. There were a few times where i felt i was way off and still got them but thats just my 2 cents.

It's like GH5 but when there is a extended sustain one you can literally just hold down the button and it won't break your combo.
Lovely. I do find it more fun this way, as opposed to RB which is just frustrating when all I want to do is have a good time.

dem0neyes

Question. Is there a way to change your difficulty while your in GHTV? I've been going back to live and changing it there then going back to GHTV.

PJFJosh

Question. Is there a way to change your difficulty while your in GHTV? I've been going back to live and changing it there then going back to GHTV.

Hit Pause on the guitar controller, the side menu that pops up is where you change it. Found that one by accident after deliberately searching for hours during the review process.

We received info directly from the developers as part of the review that they plan on adding more than 70 new songs by the end of the year with weekly updates.

That's kinda low but still good to hear. I figure its super easy to add songs. Just chart them. You don't have to splice the audio or animate it. Just upload the video and chart.

Yaari

As long as its a weekly thing, I'm fine with it. Sounds like a regular schedule . And its nice to be excited for DLC from both RB and GH.

Catabu

Neo Member
That's kinda low but still good to hear. I figure its super easy to add songs. Just chart them. You don't have to splice the audio or animate it. Just upload the video and chart.

Not really that low when you think about it. 70+ songs until the end of the year means about 7 songs per week for the remaining 10 weeks of the year

Anyone else having issues with slowdown on the note highway? The music videos play normally, but I see noticeable hiccups on the highway.

EDIT - PS4 version

I get this on GHLive and GHTV. PS4 here. Hard not to notice it when I'm staring right at the highway the entire time. Maybe I'll just get used to it...or maybe I'll go something something.

antitrop

Did the Avenged Sevenfold premium show on Advanced, Nightmare was a lot of fun. Those Syn HOPO licks have always been fun for Guitar Hero.

pacman85

wait... I just realised you can't buy Guitar Hero Live on PSN itself? ._.
what ._.
Yeah I was hoping to get it digitally on XBone since I went all digital this generation but it doesn't look like I will be able to. I thought it was a requirement by MS that all games must be sold digitally as well as physically with this console generation but I guess not. Or they just haven't gotten the game up there yet. I was able to get RB4 digitally so I was hoping this would be the same. There are ways to get the guitar without the physical game so I don't know why they just wouldn't offer it.

Top Bottom