• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 - Media blow out

Except that I explicitly said that I was completely down with every supporting character as had been done in the past. I also said I loved the complex narratives around him. Said nothing of scores or story disappearing. I just don't need to explore Chief's humanity. We need to stop pretending he isn't the guy who single-handedly destroyed an entire Covenant armarda and HALO ring by himself.

Seriously. Listen to Rock Anthem for Saving the World and remember what HALO used to be.

The HALO 2 announcement teaser perfectly surmises what Chief was in the HALO universe and what the tone of the games were. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32FPuIH35Hg

As Demon said, I don't see why we can't have both. Frankie said he doesn't talk any more than in previous games.

zoukka

A game running at 720p on a 1080p display is not going to look as good as screenshots/videos. It doesn't matter what game it is.

You can't make such a blanket statement. There are plenty of games that look better in motion. (some look worse, but I doubt Halo 4 will be one them because it's highly stylized).

i've watched pretty much all the vids in 720p where available on a HDTV and yes, there's still noticeable aliasing whether it's realtime cutscenes or gameplay. the dudes right, most of the screens are bullshots, but hey at least its HD this time, thank god. so it won't be as bad as the past few halos.
Well duh they're bullshots, the entire industry has been doing it forever now, but to say the game will look nothing like that is a gross exaggeration. The assets will be the same, the lighting will be the same, running at native 720p with FXAA. To expect more out of the Xbox 360 is a little ridiculous.

Feindflug

Videos are not the same as actually playing the game. Watch a video of a 720p game and then play a game at 720p on a 1080p monitor. There will be more jaggies when you're actually playing.

Why play a game at 720p on a 1080p monitor/TV when the 360 has a very good scaler? just set your 360 at 1080p.

Either way we're talking about a console game on a 7 year old system which runs at 720p with FXAA, so some jaggies/shimmering will be present and expected - that being said 720p+FXAA is almost the best it can get (since MSAA is too expensive) as far as IQ goes for console standards.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Too bad the game will probably look nothing like that on my monitor. Will be covered in jaggies and be blurred.
A game running at 720p on a 1080p display is not going to look as good as screenshots/videos. It doesn't matter what game it is.
Uhm yeah no shit. Maybe you should have realistic expectations from a game running on hardware from 2005.

I just don't understand these kind of comments. Honestly, what are you expecting at this point from a nearly decade old console?

Uhm yeah no shit. Maybe you should have realistic expectations from a game running on hardware from 2005.

I just don't understand these kind of comments. Honestly, what are you expecting at this point from a nearly decade old console?

Plywood:

But think about the pixels. THINK ABOUT THE PIXELS.

You need to remember: They're pixels. They're very important to enjoying every other aspect of the game.

You need to remember: They're pixels. They're very important to enjoying every other aspect of the game.

tumblr_l6dqdqfLmB1qbdajjo1_250.gif

Going into what makes Chief human is not getting Chief. I miss when HALO used to be about the plot getting all dark and mysterious, everybody ELSE getting all emotionally compromised and Chief just doing what needs to be done. It's like they forgot they just ripped the T800 off and called him Master Chief. It was perfect. It was the Terminator in the world of Aliens. No useless chatter unless it was to give a one-liner before saving the day.

The moment the question of exploring Chief's humanity in the games came up I immediately became worried, because that isn't why I ever liked Chief and it isn't what Chief ever used to be. For me, trying to delve into his backstory and paint him as human is to have missed the point of his character completely. Keep that stuff in the books.

Chief used to be the modern Duke Nukem and the T800 rolled into one. The gravitas of HALO's story and atmosphere came from absolutely everything else going on around Chief. Other characters were fleshed out. The story would become really dark, the fate of humanity and the galaxy on the brink and then Rock Anthem for Saving the World would hit your speakers and you knew it was time for Chief to do the only thing Chief knows how to do and the only reason he's part of this story - to kick ass. A lot of that thrill has been sucked out of the HALO games as it's been constantly bogged down with the motive of making a 'deeper', 'more personal' story so the players could feel the stakes of what is going on. Let every other character and exploding city illustrate the stakes and stop ruining my goddamn Chief.

I find it funny that you compare chief to 2 of the most boring characters in entertainment. The T800 and Duke Nukem. Two characters in franchises that havent worked since what, the 90s? Everything you said about having a strong lead who saves the day could be applied to, lets say, Batman as well and ultimately you get that same thing with that character as what you described with the others but without the emptiness. There are ways to go into a strong characters past without making him seems like an empty robot.

RyuHayate

This looks so damn great all around! I love the Prometheans, they look awesome and taking them down seems both challenging and fun.

I'm kind of inspired to delve deeper into the Halo lore now. I just have one question:
All of the Prophets were killed in Halo 3, right? How could the Covenant still be around?

This looks so damn great all around! I love the Prometheans, they look awesome and taking them down seems both challenging and fun.

I'm kind of inspired to delve deeper into the Halo lore now. I just have one question:
All of the Prophets were killed in Halo 3, right? How could the Covenant still be around?
Answer me the question: What happened to a kingdom when the king is dead? Does it fall apart immediately?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
jesus, there is so much to go through! any word on when flood infection is supposed to be "officially announced"?

TheOddOne

Glasshands is such a terrible book and derails so many characters and rapes canon so hard. Why the fuck 343 would even remotely consider it "canon" I'll NEVER understand.

Karen Traviss needs to stay the FUCK away from the Halo lore.
The events and characters themselves are fantastic, but the way they are executed was poor. That was my takeaway from Glasslands.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Glasslands is such a terrible book and derails so many characters and rapes canon so hard. Why the fuck 343 would even remotely consider it "canon" I'll NEVER understand.

Karen Traviss needs to stay the FUCK away from the Halo lore.

I am not going to convince you to like that book, but after Thursday War and after the first five minutes of the game, many of the things you're mad about will come into clear focus. And by the time you finish Spartan Ops, you will have a very different perspective on things you're taking at face value for the moment.

I am not going to convince you to like that book, but after Thursday War and after the first five minutes of the game, many of the things you're mad about will come into clear focus. And by the time you finish Spartan Ops, you will have a very different perspective on things you're taking at face value for the moment.
Prologue? Prologue.

Woorloog

Banned
I still hate the Banshee model (the same as in Reach) but the new green lights on it look nice.
This new "purple with green lights" (previously "purple with blueish lights") is kinda interesting and kinda cool. I reckon it is the Storm faction's thing, just like the green Phantoms in Halo 3 were the Covenant Separatists thing.

Demon Ice

Banned
So, the Hunters really didn't get a huge makeover, which is too bad as they could have done numerous things with them. They are after all only worms inside armor, so they can come in all shapes and sizes.

I'm the opposite, I'm relieved they didn't mess around with the Hunter design. Not a fan of the elite and jackal redesigns.

I really hope they allow us to directly download all this B-Roll footage sometime soon, the quality on it mostly sucks at different sites and I would like to hear the actual sounds.

OrangeOak

Did they get rid of the dynamic lighting from plasma weapon shots? That was my favorite detail they added in Reach.

Depleted shield,overshield,charged plasma pistol shot,granades(plasma and normal) etc. are still light sources so there is a chance that it's still some sort of deferred lighting.
I couldn't spot any light from the plasma shots though so who knows.
Let's hope that it's just smaller light radius on plasma particles.

Brannon

Still want them to give us the option to get rid of the ADHD-ish "YOU'RE AWESOME +5" text for the 47% that need this type of hand out in the middle of the screen every time you shoot a bullet, but other than that I'm still excited for it.

And those jackals? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FAAAAAAAACE!?

Valnen

The point is, the game is not going to look as good as it does in the screenshots and I think people should temper their expectations a bit.

Top Bottom