• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 - Media blow out

rakka

Ok, well that's precisely what I'm talking about. Resolution and IQ should be the only real differences between a bullshot and gameplay. I don't think any of us expect the game to be as jaggy free or beyond 720p, so those are acceptable.

You'd be surprised. "near jaggy less" visuals. omfg this is on 360? looks like a next gen tech demo!

and round pipes

You'd be surprised. "near jaggy less" visuals. omfg this is on 360? looks like a next gen tech demo!

and round pipes

Yea "near jaggy less". Keyword "near". You people need to read better. You may be in the 1% that may not see it but HALO 4 looks like it shouldn't be possible on the console. Don't need to qoute the countless people who played it that have claimed it themselves. November 6th will be glorious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T15EWuI9VF4&feature=youtu.be

At 16:25 he just stops and looks at the graphics and talk about it as he was in awe. So good. :_)

rakka

Yea "near jaggy less". Keyword "near". You people need to read better.

you were referring to the bullshots posted all over this thread, so no, dont backpedal. and if by near jaggy less you did mean it still has visible aliasing, well i guess theres a shit ton of console games that now by your definition have "near jaggyless" gwaphix.

you were referring to the bullshots posted all over this thread, so no, dont backpedal. and if by near jaggy less you did mean it still has visible aliasing, well i guess theres a shit ton of console games that now by your definition have "near jaggyless" gwaphix.

What are you talking about? I have not said anything about any screenshots of those resolutions being the game itself. I always talk about the actual graphics. Not resolution because if that is what you are trying to grab to make a complain about then you are clearly a fool. Expecting a 4k res on a console game? You live under a rock?

And near jaggy less means it is clean and barely any jaggies to be seen. As you can see in ANY gameplay videos. To nit pick some random shimering from subpixels is doing nothing in your cause. And no, not many console games have near jaggy less IQ. God of war 3 has near jaggy less IQ. That is what HALO 4 is.

It's plain and simple. The game has been played by a lot of people in the industry. They all claim it to be one of the best looking games on consoles period. Nothing will change that.

TUROK

You may be in the 1% that may not see it but HALO 4 looks like it shouldn't be possible on the console.
Lol.

Halo 4 is nowhere near "near jaggyless." FXAA techniques, especially ones on consoles, can only anti-alias so much. Any decent direct feed video shows aliasing everywhere.

Halo 4 looks awesome, but you are drinking the fanboy kool-aid.

God of war 3 has near jaggy less IQ. That is what HALO 4 is.
GoW 3's MLAA takes up 20ms over 5 SPU's. Halo 4's FXAA is not going to be anywhere near that quality.

rakka

higherARC05 said:
And near jaggy less means it is clean and barely any jaggies to be seen. As you can see in ANY gameplay videos. To nit pick some random shimering from subpixels is doing nothing in your cause. And no, not many console games have near jaggy less IQ. God of war 3 has near jaggy less IQ. That is what HALO 4

fuck you're hilarious. like I said, keep dreaming. hell, I wonder if you actually play halo, or youre just a console fanboy. why do you capitalize halo, it's not an acronym buddy.

gillFTR

It looks good, but I wouldnt say on par with Uncharted 3/God of war 3. I'm hoping I will like halo 4 as much as I did the reach campaign. Bungie nailed the atmosphere in that game with Reach falling. I didn't feel the Halo 3 campaign at all.

haikira

Would kill for a new cinematic story trailer for this. Could have sworn one was announced to come out a month or two ago. I probably just dreamed it though.

I like my multiplayer, but in I'm Halo more for the campaigns.

Overdoziz

Banned
That just confirms those specific models don't appear in the campaign. His language leaves open the possibility for wacky Promethean/Flood hybrids and naughty tentacles.
Frankie said:
You won't be fighting Flood in Halo 4.
https://forums.halo.xbox.com//yaf_postsm814552_The-Flood-s-return.aspx#post814552
50/50 chance that the link won't work until after you refresh it a dozen times.

Flood could still show up somewhere though but not as an enemy that you'll fight.

Gui_PT

It just feels unrealistic they'd spend resources making flood models and whatnot only to use in a multiplayer gametype. It'd make sense for us to see this somewhere else, as an enemy you have to fight or not.

derFeef

Would kill for a new cinematic story trailer for this. Could have sworn one was announced to come out a month or two ago. I probably just dreamed it though.

I like my multiplayer, but in I'm Halo more for the campaigns.

You mean live action? There is a whole web series coming.

Monocle

https://forums.halo.xbox.com//yaf_postsm814552_The-Flood-s-return.aspx#post814552
50/50 chance that the link won't work until after you refresh it a dozen times.

Flood could still show up somewhere though but not as an enemy that you'll fight.
Oh, right, now that you mention it, I have seen that quote before.

Hey. Hey! Maybe the Flood help us this time, like that one part of The Covenant in Halo 3.
I don't really expect to see the Flood as an active force in Halo 4.

derFeef

Oh, right, now that you meantion it, I have seen that quote before.

Hey. Hey! Maybe the Flood help us this time, like that one part of The Covenant in Halo 3.
I don't really expect to see the Flood as an active force in Halo 4.

Flooded Master Chief. At one point you have to become evil, to destroy the evil!

Overdoziz

Banned
It just feels unrealistic they'd spend resources making flood models and whatnot only to use in a multiplayer gametype. It'd make sense for us to see this somewhere else, as an enemy you have to fight or not.
I will never be able to look at the model and not seeing it smiley at me.
uugh

NBtoaster

The graphics are good but not shockingly good. Most of it is just high quality lighting, models and textures. Bungie was a little more progressive though took bigger trade offs.

Lol.

Halo 4 is nowhere near "near jaggyless." FXAA techniques, especially ones on consoles, can only anti-alias so much. Any decent direct feed video shows aliasing everywhere.

GoW 3's MLAA takes up 20ms over 5 SPU's. Halo 4's FXAA is not going to be anywhere near that quality.

Being 20ms does not mean its better then anything less. The main reason its good is because the camera is fixed which help to hide any artifacts.

Ahain if you cant show me where the game show jaggies everywhere like you say then you are moot.

Understatement of the year. Tempted to go through his post history and extract some gems.

Youre pretty sad. Go ahead :p

fuck you're hilarious. like I said, keep dreaming. hell, I wonder if you actually play halo, or youre just a console fanboy. why do you capitalize halo, it's not an acronym buddy.

This is all you can say? Okay I see these three kiddies are on a vendetta.

You mad bro

Feindflug

The graphics are good but not shockingly good. Most of it is just high quality lighting, models and textures. Bungie was a little more progressive though took bigger trade offs.

Yeah but were the trade-offs worth it? I guess we'll see when we'll play Halo 4 to completion and see what the game looks like, how it runs and if the scale of the previous games is still there.

Keep in mind that a bigger trade off also doesn't always mean a better decision.

Lol.

Well you're also drinking the Bungie-defense kool-aid.

It's funny because you're making fun of him for the near jaggy-less comments and you were the first that commented on the specular aliasing and now how every video shows "aliasing everywhere" while at the same time you defend Reach in every chance which had undoubtedly some of the worst IQ on the consoles.

EagleEyes

It looks good, but I wouldnt say on par with Uncharted 3/God of war 3. I'm hoping I will like halo 4 as much as I did the reach campaign. Bungie nailed the atmosphere in that game with Reach falling. I didn't feel the Halo 3 campaign at all.
I think its even more impressive graphically than those titles for the simple fact that there will be 4 player campaign co-op. Those titles you mentioned are strictly linear, single player games without sandbox areas with vehicles. Put all that together in Halo 4 and you've got one impressive package. :)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Also on the video odd one posted, skip to 13:30... That's 13 minutes of junk you don't need to wast valuable bandwidth on

KageMaru

InB4 HigherARC telling you your eyes are obviously broken and then 3 more paragraphs about the game's amazing pipe rendering tech.

Lol

Expecting a game to be comparable to pc resolution/aa is completely dumb to even consider. What game has anything close to 4k resolution on a console? I'm going after people who want to believe like that res is the only thing that would make the game look amazing. Screenshots show what the graphics are like lighting, poly, texture, particles, etc wise. But as the game is 720p and with custom FXAA it's going to look as good as consoles allow. When talking about graphics for a console game, spouting how it won't have 16aa and 4k res is the last thing you would want to complain about cause what game on console does? Logistics my friend logistics

People who are pointing out the aliasing aren't expecting 16xAA or 4K resolutions. Like me, they are probably mentioning it because some people want to act like the game is as clean as the bullshots.

and round pipes

Unfortunately I'm hardly surprised with anything at gaf anymore. =P

People here tend to go off the deep end (to both extremes) when it comes to exclusives.

God of war 3 has near jaggy less IQ. That is what HALO 4 is.

If Halo CEA is anything to go by, Halo 4 will be very clean for a console game, but it won't be as clean as GoW3.

Have no issue with your opinion but I'm curious how you came to the conclusion that it's not even on par with these other said games.

Is this using performance capture ala La Noire?

I don't see how it's possible otherwise.

Typical bone structure model, similar to Beyond. Though I wouldn't know how the tech compares in the two game.

rakka

It's funny because you're making fun of him for the near jaggy-less comments and you were the first that commented on the specular aliasing and now how every video shows "aliasing everywhere" while at the same time you defend Reach in every chance which had undoubtedly some of the worst IQ on the consoles.

I know your comment wasn't for me but really, you don't think claims that the game looks like it shouldn't be possible on consoles are just a little bit outrageous?

Danis

Neo Member
xdYYa.jpg

They look so freaking badass and scary. I was so freaking excited about the Flood redesign and them being included in MP that I sent this pic to a friend who is on a media blackout of sorts. His reply, "Aw! They looks so happy!"

Cannot fucking unsee. I've tried. Now I only see them smiling.

AlStrong

The firing? It sounds mean... All the other banshees (halo 1-reach) sounded like Star Wars rifles in automatic fire

And... there was nothing wrong with that. I thought Bungie nailed the type of sound with the plasma rifle in Reach (some bass undertone combined with the higher frequency tones). As it is now, the plasma fire is too crackly for my taste (closer to a conventional gunpowder crack www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmB-ME8i2bA#t=50s).

Feindflug

There is some Halo 4 campaign footage of the third level.
There are very few 'spoilers' in it. Mostly all of them have been seen in other media.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JylkzGSfnn4#t=17m30s

Halo CEA upgraded graphics engine was not developed by 343 Industries, but rather by Saber Interactive.

Kage simply gave an example on how FXAA works with Halo's art style...CEA had really good IQ and that run at 1152*720 IIRC.

I agree that we don't know much about the FXAA implementation on Halo 4 but if CEA is an indication things are gonna be decent this time around as far as IQ goes.

I know your comment wasn't for me but really, you don't think claims that the game looks like it shouldn't be possible on consoles are just a little bit outrageous?

Your opinion. If you dont think so then so be it. Just stop going on a crusade to go after people who do.

KageMaru

Halo CEA upgraded graphics engine was not developed by 343 Industries, but rather by Saber Interactive.

Yeah I know, but I'm sure there was some collaboration between 343i and Saber. Who knows if the tweet we saw about 343i working on FXAA wasn't for Halo CEA?

Besides, typical jaggies from the geometry doesn't look to be the problem in Halo 4, it's the specular aliasing that's the real issue and FXAA doesn't do anything to cover that up.

AlStrong

Besides, typical jaggies from the geometry doesn't look to be the problem in Halo 4, it's the specular aliasing that's the real issue and FXAA doesn't do anything to cover that up.

Depending on the implementation, it should handle shader aliasing to some extent (reduces contrasting pixels).

TUROK

What does one have to do with the other? Do I talk about how clean Halo Reach looks? Do I say the jaggies aren't that bad? No.

Killzone 3 uses mlaa n does not look as clean as gow3. Its the same but cause kz3 actially has a movable camera you can see its not better then fxaa.
Just like FXAA, MLAA has a lot of problems with subpixel aliasing, and Killzone 3's art style consists of a lot of railings, pipes, and thin objects. As you get far away enough from them, they'll start to alias.

Top Bottom