• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 - Media blow out

MormaPope

Banned
My god, it's astonishingly beautiful.
Holy shit, 343 are already among my favorite developers ever, and i'm no usual Halo fan AT ALL.

It takes me a lot of mental effort to get into Halo (Halo Reach especially). Halo 4 feels like the biggest leap for Halo since the series started.

YRnnV.jpg

This pic blows my mind, it's what I wanted ME3 to look like. 343i are really delivering.

TUROK

I feel like opening up another can of worms. The sky pillars look like they're part of the 2D skybox, rather than being polygonal elements. Stuff like this in the previous 360 Halos would be actual geometry (e.g. the space elevator in Halo 3: ODST). So yeah, the game looks fantastic, but these improvements aren't free.

Raide

Nope nope nope. There is no way 360 can produce that. What kind of soul selling voodoo witchcraft have 343i been working on that can produce those shots from a 360?

So the Flood models are for the Infection style gametype? About damn time they did something other than making the Zombie go Green!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT 2: Wait, is that the new MP Infection mode?
Yup.

I feel like opening up another can of worms. The sky pillars look like they're part of the 2D skybox, rather than being polygonal elements. Stuff like this in the previous 360 Halos would be actual geometry (e.g. the space elevator in Halo 3: ODST). So yeah, the game looks fantastic, but these improvements aren't free.
I see what you're saying, but I don't really see it as a flaw. It looks fantastic, and that's all that matters to me. Plus I think we need to see it in motion to see how well it meshes.

TUROK

I see what you're saying, but I don't really see it as a flaw. It looks fantastic, and that's all that matters to me. Plus I think we need to see it in motion to see how well it meshes.
It's not a flaw, it's just a trade-off.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really see 3D models as inherently better, though. The current solution, if it is indeed what you pointed out, seems like a win-win to me. You know what I mean? It doesn't feel like a trade-off, because no quality is sacrificed.

sinnergy

Well it's a matte painting, almost every modern movie has those ;) Also why waste resources on distant objects which are only for the skyline you can't travel to. And if you can you can alway replace it with a model.

derFeef

Well it's a matte painting, almost every modern movie has those ;) Also why waste resources on distant objects which are only for the skyline you can't travel to. And if you can you can alway replace it with a model.

Valve has this neat technique to render really small models pretty large in the distance, like the citadel in EP2, or the TF2 backdrops. I am saying this without knowing anything about the engine or how much performance this would cost, tough.

TUROK

I don't really see 3D models as inherently better, though. The current solution, if it is indeed what you pointed out, seems like a win-win to me. You know what I mean? It doesn't feel like a trade-off, because no quality is sacrificed.
It may not be a trade-off in your opinion, but in pure technical terms, it is.

Even in artistic terms, it still feels like a trade-off to me. Geometry gives these properties a more physical feel to them.

Take the buildings in New Alexandria, for example. These are elements that are far away enough to be adequately displayed as a bitmap, but the fact that they're all geometry just makes them feel more tangible. The sense of scale doesn't feel like an illusion, even though it still is.

Valve has this neat technique to render really small models pretty large in the distance, like the citadel in EP2, or the TF2 backdrops. I am saying this without knowing anything about the engine or how much performance this would cost, tough.

This. The way valve does it is quite interesting.

Also, it could be a new type of impostor or be using impostor tech from reach. Which was great.

Waaghals

Using real models rather than matte paintings is cool, but unnecessary .

This is particularly true in games with a fixed resolution (like most console games).
You would never be able to tell that the background is "painted" because the resolution just isn't there.

Such backgrounds often end up looking better at a distance.

This is different for pc games like HL2 because you have to assume it will be played at very high resolutions.

I am incredibly pumped for this game.

TUROK

Using real models rather than matte paintings is cool, but unnecessary .

This is particularly true in games with a fixed resolution (like most console games).
You would never be able to tell that the background is "painted" because the resolution just isn't there.

Such backgrounds often end up looking better at a distance.
This isn't even close to being true. Even at 640x480, the distinction between 2D and 3D is readily apparent, especially when you can zoom in to these elements, like in, oh I dunno, the Halo games.

Waaghals

This isn't even close to being true. Even at 640x480, the distinction between 2D and 3D is readily apparent, especially when you can zoom in to these elements, like in, oh I dunno, the Halo games.

True, but in reality proper modeled backgrounds cannot be high detail for performance reasons. if the floating pillars in the background were rendered in real time, they would not look as good as they do now.

Zooming in will, as you say, break the illusion.

If you have an abundance of power so you can get extreme background details, crysis style, then that is preferable, but you can't.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
cV2Xj.jpg

METAL .. GEAR !

edit : holy shit are those screens legit ? no aliasing and dat IQ.

Hypron

cV2Xj.jpg

METAL .. GEAR !

edit : holy shit are those screens legit ? no aliasing and dat IQ.

Nope they're bullshots taken at really high resolutions and downsampled. Just imagine the same thing with more aliasing. It'll still look really nice but not like that.

1280x720p with FXAA is what we've been told, so expect that sort of visual fidelity scaled up on a 1080p display. Really interested to see Digital Foundry go to town on this game.

I played the game at PAX and the aliasing is definitely noticeable on more straight edged surfaces like Forerunner architecture, but I don't expect modern PC level IQ on a 7 year old console and the game still looks gorgeous.

rakka

the new shots are nice, great lighting.

some of you praising the IQ and lack of aliasing though, stop dreaming, you know very well that those are the things if anything that have been heavily touched up on the screens.

Hypron

Some shots must be realtime as there is aliasing, still looks fantastic.

Yup mea culpa, just after posting my message I looked at the shots again and it's true some of them are probably ingame. Some others are just too perfect to be ingame though, you get this kind of IQ by using huge amounts of MSAA, not FXAA.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
OK, HOW the FUCK are these visuals coming out of the 360. This is just fucking insane.

This game is basically confirmation that the apparent discrepancy between AAA PS3 game visuals and AAA 360 game visuals to date has apparently been because the 360 devs just weren't trying hard enough. Crazy.

This game is basically confirmation that the apparent discrepancy between AAA PS3 game visuals and AAA 360 game visuals to date has apparently been because the 360 devs just weren't trying hard enough. Crazy.

There is probably some complacency due to the ease of development, this was fairly evident with the Dreamcast as well. There's also the matter of budgets and a focus on 3rd party multiplat releases, but it just goes to show that with the right talent you can produce some surprising results.

God bless Corrinne Yu.

Those guys look a lot like Forerunners. Where does it say they're Spartans? Forerunners are supposed to be similar to humans but like 12 feet tall right?

Mindwipe

There is probably some complacency due to the ease of development, this was fairly evident with the Dreamcast as well. There's also the matter of budgets and a focus on 3rd party multiplat releases, but it just goes to show that with the right talent you can produce some surprising results.

God bless Corrinne Yu.

Damn straight, she deserves a Damehood or something for this.

TheOddOne

Halo 4 development is complete
Development of Halo 4 is complete with the game now in certification, franchise development director Frank O'Connor told an audience at this morning's Halo 4 press event taking place at the London Film Museum in Covent Garden.

With the game now in certification it's only a matter of time until the gold disc is sent to manufacturing to begin printing the millions of copies which will flood stores worldwide this holiday season.
Hells yeah!

Satchel

Banned

Bungie using geometry on useless shit like that that no one cared about or even noticed is part of the reason why Halo games on 360 have been the butt of jokes for so many years.

Why waste resources on a bragging right no one cares about?

Those pillars look more than fine and do the job. If that's a sacrifice that's required to get Halo 4 looking this amazing, then let it be so.

Satchel

Banned
God damn at those screens.

It never gets old. 343 are wizards. Have overtaken Rare as masters of the 360 hardware.

Development complete? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Stealth 25th release? Make it so Frank.

Mechazawa

If there's one thing 343 is a clear winner at, it's those helmet designs. They're so crazy and imaginative compared to the stuff we got in Reach/3. The stock Chief helmet looks so Mary Sue next to them.

Top Bottom