• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Kibbles

From a Press release, (don't got a link, got it from gamespress)
Halo 5 Guardians Beta: Halo: The Master Chief Collection game disc required. Limited Time Beta starts Dec. 27, 2014, and ends Jan. 22, 2015.

I wonder if the game will be a Spring 2015 release or if they are really doing a (proper) beta that early.

Striker

Last piece of this puzzle is going to be how well the party lobby system is handled. Each MP Suite should have it's own exclusive playlists in addition to the blended playlist. I really don't want to be forced to play Halo 3 or Halo 2.
Yeah, the blending of the games is a possible issue for me.

If the situation arises of, where do I want to play my BTB CTF game: Terminal, Sandtrap, or Exile? I don't want to be forced to play some mediocre/poor map because they decided to put us in some delicate scenario. Obviously the games differ in the type of settings, i.e. flag throwing, arming the bomb, and so forth.

If we can get our own Halo 1/Halo 2 exclusive MP playlists, I'm definitely sold.

Frankie/Someone at 343i... could someone comment on how the netcode will be handled for Halo: CE MP? It was synchronous MP when it came out, and that worked well for LAN but kind of falls apart online... Have you folks changed it to asynchronous?

Obscured

Who gives a flying fuck about Halo 5 anyway? Not this guy.

The great thing about this is that if you don't you don't have to. And the people who do will have that opportunity. People always argue about the what makes halo at its core (which are always(well mostly) interesting spirited discussions. For me it has always been about options and now they will all be there. Everything can live and die by its own merits. Can't wait for the inevitable discussion about how matchmaking and playlist management sucks and we don't know if anything gets messed with in regards to ranking, but at least we'll see some oomph back into halogaf.

antigoon

sQ0sRnT.png

Serious lack of scope on this fucking gun.

Maybe they're going all out with the whole: "Reticule is part of the visor thing"...

I'm not gunna get too annoyed because atm we have next to no info. But there better be a scope Frankie.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give SCOPE

Skytylz

Banned
Purely regarding this mixed playlist thing and concerns about population, I almost wish it was just Halo 2 and Halo CE multiplayer, with all the maps from Halo 3 ported over to 2. Don't care one bit about anything from 4.

Halo CE and 2 are wildly different games. 3's multiplayer was just a better-looking, slightly worse version of 2's with lamer maps.

Obviously just a fantasy at this point, but that would have been my ideal scenario.

I'm on the opposite side of halo 3/2 fence. Equipment is a fine addition and i think the changes they made to the gameplay make 3 a better playing game then 2.

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
343 must be pretty confident in Halo 5 to include a beta with the MC Collection. Either way, it's Halo 5 MP is bad.... WE STILL HAVE CE AND HALO 2 ONLINE! So many feels....

Do you see it? DO YOU?

ibdTWglXzOyg6N.gif

:O

I fucking died hearing Keith David's voice. FUCK FUCK FUCK so good.

The mixing of Halo 2 with the Halo 5 trailer leads me to believe we're going to get branching storylines back from Halo 2 again, with a bigger focus on galactic troubles in the Halo universe

Woorloog

Banned
The ammo counter says "72." So unless 343 has more than doubled the ammo in the BR's magazine, you guys are jumping to conclusions in a spectacularly wrongful manner.

I would guess it is a new assault rifle. Probably a variant of the BR85-series.

TheOddOne

Frankie/Someone at 343i... could someone comment on how the netcode will be handled for Halo: CE MP? It was synchronous MP when it came out, and that worked well for LAN but kind of falls apart online... Have you folks changed it to asynchronous?
The dust needs to settle first. Too soon, hopefully bulletin will clarify some of our questions.

Woorloog

Banned
I wonder whether we can play pure Halo 3 MP. Not interesting in mixed MP or playing the other 3.
Probably a playlist thing... but if so, how long will the game have enough population to keep them alive? Especially Halo 3 BTB.

Takashi

The ammo counter says "72." So unless 343 has more than doubled the ammo in the BR's magazine, you guys are jumping to conclusions in a spectacularly wrongful manner.

Was gonna say the same thing, but I thought maybe there was something new about the BR I might have missed since no one mentioned that

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Superjumps + Button Combo's = not ever playing any Halo 2 MP content.

WTF are 343 thinking including that shit? Terrible choices yet again.

Vico

Now that the beta's coming in december, when can we expect the first glimpse?
Comic Con? Gamescom?
Or will they actually wait Halo Collection's release?

FyreWulff

There's someone who thinks the same as me? I'm surprised.

Same thing for me. I spent 5 years straight playing Halo 2, fishing people off the top of buildings, watching bombs being thrown under maps, people flying across maps and all sorts of broken. The entire time, I wished I could just play Halo 2 instead of some sort of weird Halo 2 metagame. You'd think after multiple 343 employees acknowledged that all that stuff broke the game, they'd fix them. So far, they seem to have ignored it completely.

Hence my randyortonstupid.gif. Halo 2 is just going to be a meta arms race as people try to relive glitching on pubbies again. Nobody needs to go through that crap again. What a waste of fucking time to remake a game 10 years later and not fix the bugs the developer did not intend to have.

ElRenoRaven

Oh almost forgot. Please tell me it's fixed in this edition Frankie. The Shotgun will be right in the Xbox One version of Halo 1 Anniversary right? Right? lol

Forge and theater will also work.
the-big-lebowski-happ1lsny.gif

I want to be excited. I need more information - what are the game-specific playlists like? How are you going to clone enough people to support four playlist environments simultaneously? How faithful are the gametypes to the originals (sticky arming, proximity contesting, all of the great Halo 2-only settings whose absence made objective gametypes in later games such a disappointment)? Are you seriously going to have SMG starts? Why are you monsters? How many playlists per game are we talking here? There's no way you can realistically mirror end-of-life states for each of those games - the population just can't support it.

I need to know these things because that mixed voting lobby as described sounds terrible.
Makes me think this is what all the recent hires from the fan base have been for. This is insane news, I can barely get my head around it all. And a beta that lasts nearly a month?? God damn...

Woorloog

Banned
Same thing for me. I spent 5 years straight playing Halo 2, fishing people off the top of buildings, watching bombs being thrown under maps, people flying across maps and all sorts of broken. The entire time, I wished I could just play Halo 2 instead of some sort of weird Halo 2 metagame. You'd think after multiple 343 employees acknowledged that all that stuff broke the game, they'd fix them. So far, they seem to have ignored it completely.

Hend my randyortonstupid.gif

I'm not opposed to metagames but only if they're intended, not some random stuff that is based on glitches.

Blueblur1

I hope they change their mind and fix those glitches. Playing Halo 2 online with all of them intact is not going to be the best experience...

Striker

I'm on the opposite side of halo 3/2 fence. Equipment is a fine addition and i think the changes they made to the gameplay make 3 a better playing game then 2.
Precisely why I don't want Halo 2 (or Halo 1) blended in and just using their own unique MP.

Who needs those awesome Lockout Battle Rifle fights when you can go play a terrible version of it from Halo 3 with an awful spread BR and a regen in your back pocket for when you're out gunned?

Enfinit

If all of Halo 2's bugs and glitches are in, I suppose they're going with the whole "well, it's a part of the game" reason. Which I can see both sides of the arguments here. On the one hand, sometimes the glitches sucked and could easily ruin player experience. However, on the other, it helped make Halo 2 so unique.

FyreWulff

If all of Halo 2's bugs and glitches are in, I suppose they're going with the whole "well, it's a part of the game" reason. Which I can see both sides of the arguments here. On the one hand, sometimes the glitches sucked and could easily ruin player experience. However, on the other, it helped make Halo 2 so unique.

A good compromise would be to implement two versions of each glitched weapon: the original, with all of it's broken animations that allowed BXR, BXB, etc to happen, and you can do whatever in customs. Knock yourself out.

Then have a separate, fixed versions of weapons, these are the ones in matchmaking.

Superbouncing doesn't belong at any rate. And it was fixed in the Halo 2 PC version of the engine, so I am perplexed as to why it'd even be back.

Top Bottom