• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 aiming system: the good, the bad (or bugged with new controllers?)

That's exactly what i'm worried about. Some added aim assist or other bullshit added to calm the low-skill class. Buck up buttercups and get gud. (i'm completely being an ass on purpose... if there really is an issue for some... i'm all for a any optional fix that doesn't impact bullet magnetism or auto aim)

How about keep the low aim assist (obviously), make sensitivity consistent and up the maximum sensitivity? Then people will cry about the really skilled players, spinning around headshotting people with the sniper rifle. Because people can do that on a controller, aim assist or no. If only the sensitivity allows it.

You guys are seriously backwards if you think low sensitivity equals a higher skill ceiling.

E92 M3

That's exactly what i'm worried about. Some added aim assist or other bullshit added to calm the low-skill class. Buck up buttercups and get gud. (i'm completely being an ass on purpose... if there really is an issue for some... i'm all for a any optional fix that doesn't impact bullet magnetism or auto aim)

Quite an elitist attitude for a video game. I am an ultra competitive player, but still think that everyone should have fun playing Halo and do their thing. Quite a few people think aiming is strange and that doesn't make them scrubs. With attitude like yours, the game will be dead in 5 months.

The goal is to maintain the population, not please 5% of the community.

No, I don't think Smash has a pro team on board. In fact, I know they don't, because if they did, we would never have ever gotten tripping. And there might even be some kind of competitive balance.

That's the kind of shit I'm talking about.

And fun for pros does not exclude the game being fun for casuals, or vice versa. That's just a ridiculous claim.

I am talking about Smash Melee, one of the best regarded smash games. All I am saying is that Bungie didn't care about no pro teams and just made the game they wanted. It was played by noobs and pros alike. Halo 2 and 3 had a very healthy community on both sides.

Thus far, it seems like Halo 5 was designed for only competitive play.

What sense are you playing on out of interest?

Never known a top halo player to play on higher than 5 or 6. I'm 5 on H5 and was 4 on previous titles. Found I did need to go up one notch for H5.

Max, of course. I probably wouldn't play Halo 5 on as high a sensitivity as I do other shooters, because then I would almost certainly overshoot my aim. But max for me on Halo 5 is not fast enough; I touch my stick and I'm short of reaching my target. I don't know how much of this is because of slower diagonal aiming.

Septic360

Banned
LOL sensationalist headline leads to another 343 bashing thread from people that mostly haven't even played Halo 5.

Crazy right? Haters already started latching on to this thread from other sites. After all my play-through with this I didn't even notice the 'problem'.

I am talking about Smash Melee, one of the best regarded smash games. All I am saying is that Bungie didn't care about no pro teams and just made the game they wanted. It was played by noobs and pros alike. Halo 2 and 3 had a very healthy community on both sides.

Broken clocks and all that. Look at Reach. Look at Destiny. Read the interviews about how cobbled together 2 was, and look at all the ways 3 went wrong. Melee is still being played because a lot of people are unhappy with changes made in subsequent games because there's no rigorous testing going on. How on earth can ensuring that a game is balanced properly make it worse?

H5 is definitely not designed only for competitive play. I know, because I suck, and I really enjoy it all the same. I presume people playing at even lower tiers than I are having a good time too, just running around ARing each other, or playing Warzone and stomping on people with a Mantis.

Sounds like this is a play style issue as its not broken. Thread title needs a change.

I havent noticed any issues on my end. I played 3 matches of Arena and like 7 of Warzone. K/D ratio in warzone is a 1.4 mostly because of the AI. Typically i rake in 20+ kills. Will play more Arena tonight for my rank but as of right now my K/D ratio is a 7. I havent gotten any worse nor any better. Typically i strafe alot and match my targets movements.

They won't, they will leave the game, you want the population to stay or not

You haven't seen this in any of the reviews have you? Plenty of people online playing the casual crap outa warzone. I dont think many will really leave... i think after a while they'll get used to it and it will become second nature... muscle memory. If they do decide to leave that's a shame.

Guessing you didn't view the video linked from the post then... The issue isn't anything to do with aim assist, that won't solve the problem. However, optional fix is definitely the way to go with this - like Killzone 2 went with. For those who have no issue then let them stick with the way the diagonal aiming works currently, but for those of us which are having problems with it add an optional solution.

Nope i havent but i will. Thanks! I'm just saying i'd hate for them to implement some sort of change to affect what a lot of us feel is perfect as is. Only other way i could think for them to address it is different options that keep the playing field even and not make one scheme easier.

How about keep the low aim assist (obviously), make sensitivity consistent and up the maximum sensitivity? Then people will cry about the really skilled players, spinning around headshotting people with the sniper rifle. Because people can do that on a controller, aim assist or no. If only the sensitivity allows it.

You guys are seriously backwards if you think low sensitivity equals a higher skill ceiling.

Did you read low sensitivity when i said low aim assist? I'm confused.

Quite an elitist attitude for a video game. I am an ultra competitive player, but still think that everyone should have fun playing Halo and do their thing. Quite a few people think aiming is strange and that doesn't make them scrubs. With attitude like yours, the game will be dead in 5 months.

The goal is to maintain the population, not please 5% of the community.

I apologize. No harm intended. Those calling for an aim change seem to be the vocal minority here do they not? Who has mentioned this in a major review in the press? I never hear any randoms online even mention it. Nobody i know, (including anyone in my clan of 200+ casual to pro gamers) have any issues with it. Halo 5 will remain very popular regardless of what happens to this issue... if they change it or leave it... the vast majority will still be playing.

E92 M3

Broken clocks and all that. Look at Reach. Look at Destiny. Read the interviews about how cobbled together 2 was, and look at all the ways 3 went wrong. Melee is still being played because a lot of people are unhappy with changes made in subsequent games because there's no rigorous testing going on. How on earth can ensuring that a game is balanced properly make it worse?

H5 is definitely not designed only for competitive play. I know, because I suck, and I really enjoy it all the same. I presume people playing at even lower tiers than I are having a good time too, just running around ARing each other, or playing Warzone and stomping on people with a Mantis.

All of the Bungie games felt good to play and Destiny is still one of the best shooters out right now. Right up there with Titanfall.

Again, I am NOT talking about balance.

I want to love Halo 5 and enjoy watching pros play, but the aiming feels weird and uncomfortable. It takes me out of the experience, that is my opinion on the manner. Personally believe that balance comes second to how a game plays. Don't give a shit about balance if it doesn't play right.

Halo 2 had issues, but the game was played for YEARS nonstop. Maps were amazing and core fundamentals rewarding. MLG became huge because of Halo 2.

You haven't seen this in any of the reviews have you? Plenty of people online playing the casual crap outa warzone. I dont think many will really leave... i think after a while they'll get used to it and it will become second nature... muscle memory. If they do decide to leave that's a shame.

Nope i havent but i will. Thanks! I'm just saying i'd hate for them to implement some sort of change to affect what a lot of us feel is perfect as is. Only other way i could think for them to address it is different options that keep the playing field even and not make one scheme easier.

I apologize. No harm intended. Those calling for an aim change seem to be the vocal minority here do they not? Who has mentioned this in a major review in the press? I never hear any randoms online even mention it. Nobody i know, (including anyone in my clan of 200+ casual to pro gamers) have any issues with it. Halo 5 will remain very popular regardless of what happens to this issue... if they change it or leave it... the vast majority will still be playing.

I am not a fan of bitching about video games, but noticed it right away and thought maybe I was just crazy. It's been corroborated enough to warrant a discussion.

I think not. Where you get killed by the guy behind you I immediately turn around as soon as I hear/see him on radar and put rounds into his head just fine, because that's what I've been doing for years.

Lol so why do pros and serious competitive players play on lower sensitivity? From the streams I have watched most of players seem to be using between 4-6.

I'm using aggressive for my right stick profile on the elite controler so maybe that helps this issue but I don't find it game breaking at all and in not even a big halo player.

DJ Gunner

What sense are you playing on out of interest?

Never known a top halo player to play on higher than 5 or 6. I'm 5 on H5 and was 4 on previous titles. Found I did need to go up one notch for H5.

This.

The large majority of the "best of the best" do not play on high sensitivity. The point is to land your shots. The "I turn around faster" argument isn't one, because if you get shot from behind, turning around and trying to engage already down one or two shots is the worst thing you can do.

The person you were responding to claimed the current aiming system takes more skill, but the issue isn't with aim assist. This is about diagonal aiming being slower than horizontal and vertical aiming. I personally also have an issue with the overall sensitivity ceiling. Changing this would have no effect on aim assist, so I'm not sure why you're even talking about aim assist?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i really want to buy an xbox one for this game ! .
only problem is i'm not sure if i want an xbox one elite for 449 without a game.
or an xbox one normal with halo 5 with a game ... for 349 ..

so basically it's spending 500 or 349 ...

and i'm not sure if the xbox elite controller and that 1 tb hybrid drive is THAT important..

halp

The large majority of the "best of the best" do not play on high sensitivity. The point is to land your shots. The "I turn around faster" argument isn't one, because if you get shot from behind, turning around and trying to engage already down one or two shots is the worst thing you can do.

Lower sensitivity would not help me land my shots when I'm already not doing so because my aim is short on max. Unless my issue is with the slower diagonal aiming.

I don't turn around when I'm at a disadvantage of course, but that's just one scenario you cherry-picked to support your argument--I'm perfectly able to run away even with high sensitivity, better at it even. For another scenario, suppose the player approaching me from behind does not have a line of sight on me? I can turn around to meet them, where as on low sensitivity I'm screwed unless I can escape, which may be not be optimal.

There's no valid argument that being able to turn fast is a bad thing, unless the high sensitivity required makes you unable to properly land your shots.

Did you read low sensitivity when i said low aim assist? I'm confused./QUOTE]

The person you were responding to claimed the current aiming system takes more skill, but the issue isn't with aim assist. This is about diagonal aiming being slower than horizontal and vertical aiming. I personally also have an issue with the overall sensitivity ceiling. Changing this would have no effect on aim assist, so I'm not sure why you're even talking about aim assist?

Huh... what about this sensitivity? I'm still not following.

I mention aim assist or bullet magnetism because that could be a quick "catch-all" patch to help those complaining feel "better" about their aim. 343 could just punch up the auto aim and call it fixed if they wanted to as a possible solution. Not as many people would be complaining if they suddenly turned their scores around and started to land the chaining shots they were consistently missing before. Hell, the majority of people in here wouldnt even notice the increased magnetism/auto aim and swear 434 fixed the "issue" lol.

Madness

They won't, they will leave the game, you want the population to stay or not

If the population staying means a more noob friendly, casual experience with high aim assist and 30 meter motion tracker again, bye bye. Counterstrike and other games give no fucks. I like that they're doing this now, especially after what Reach and Halo 4 became. I'm by no means a good player, but I love what they've done with Halo 5.

E92 M3

Huh... what about this sensitivity? I'm still not following.

I mention aim assist or bullet magnetism because that could be a quick "catch-all" patch to help those complaining feel "better" about their aim. 343 could just punch up the auto aim and call it fixed if they wanted to as a possible solution. Not as many people would be complaining if they suddenly turned their scores around and started to land the chaining shots they were consistently missing before. Hell, the majority of people in here wouldnt even notice the increased magnetism/auto aim and swear 434 fixed the "issue" lol.

God forbid a lower skilled players feels more accomplished getting kills. The world will end.

In actuality, pros will be pros and noobs will just have more fun. It won't be the end of the world.

i really want to buy an xbox one for this game ! .
only problem is i'm not sure if i want an xbox one elite for 449 without a game.
or an xbox one normal with halo 5 with a game ... for 349 ..

so basically it's spending 500 or 349 ...

and i'm not sure if the xbox elite controller and that 1 tb hybrid drive is THAT important..

halp

the elite controller is pretty amazing. if you REALLY want those extra features that controller comes with, might be worth it. If you plan on doing a lot of gaming on xb1, 1tb is a great call too. im up against it on my ps4 and x1 with the launch harddrives.

that said, the normal x1 controller is great on its own.

God forbid a lower skilled players feels more accomplished getting kills. The world will end.

In actuality, pros will be pros and noobs will just have more fun. It won't be the end of the world.

The uber-casual gaming public already has enough shooters for that... Destiny, CoD, Battlefield...

They want a kill in Halo they need to earn it. Pros will be pros and noobs will be noobs... or we could stop handholding and they can learn, practice and grow their skillsets and start to challenge pros eventually.

How about something like this... Make warzone more bulletmagnety and change whatever 45° angle issue some people are having... but leave Arena as is completely untouched?

The uber-casual gaming public already has enough shooters for that... Destiny, CoD, Battlefield...

They want a kill in Halo they need to earn it. Pros will be pros and noobs will be noobs... or we could stop handholding and they can learn, practice and grow their skillsets and start to challenge pros eventually.

How about something like this... Make warzone more bulletmagnety and change whatever 45° angle issue some people are having... but leave Arena as is completely untouched?

theoretically, the ranking system should take care of this anyway

Thabass

I thought there was an issue with the aiming. I thought I was going insane. Bearing that in mind, I don't hate the aiming in Halo 5 and have gotten pretty used to it by now.

343 involved a lot of pro players with mp development, you can't blame them too much if they didn't have feedback from them about this issue. Even with all the players enjoying the game play and saying aiming is better than ever...

BokehKing

Banned

Geezus I can't believe the stance people take with this game, not a great way to keep a community

E92 M3

I just want Halo to retain a population. Console shooters are a very competitive market. On PC developers can get away with making a game for the ultra hardcore.

My main concern is the health of the overall community for Halo 5. I do not want to see a population drop like in Halo 4.

link1201

If the population staying means a more noob friendly, casual experience with high aim assist and 30 meter motion tracker again, bye bye. Counterstrike and other games give no fucks. I like that they're doing this now, especially after what Reach and Halo 4 became. I'm by no means a good player, but I love what they've done with Halo 5.

I feel exactly the same.

Now you're the one suggesting they implement aim assist? No one is asking for aim assist. People complaining are doing so because the sensitivity isn't consistent across the axes. Adjusting your aim diagonally from shoulder to head should be faster than adjusting it horizontally from shoulder to chest, then vertically from chest to head.

It isn't, and this makes aiming clunky. It isn't consistent, so you can't expect consistent results. Unless you take to moving your thumbstick only horizontally and vertically, which is just laughable.

Yeah this pretty much. Halo is going to have a wide skill gap which is normal for a esports title. Look at Starcraft 2 or LoL. Skill gap is very high and asks a lot from other players. This will all get sorted out over the next few weeks with players going up against people in their own league. I played a lot of SC2 for a few years and stay around rank gold. Its always a decent challenge to win.

CoD has done a somewhat bad disservice to some players. I mean I dont play much CoD but occasionally you could best someone in a shoot out with someone who is "better" than you. I remember watching a twitch stream of a pro getting stomped in this one game. Halo isnt that game. You need to literally in every way become a better player and teammate.

I just want Halo to retain a population. Console shooters are a very competitive market. On PC developers can get away with making a game for the ultra hardcore.

My main concern is the health of the overall community for Halo 5. I do not want to see a population drop like in Halo 4.

But that's what i'm saying... the vast majority have no problems with the way H5 plays. It's not going to drop like H4. 343i knocked it out of the park... in part with the pro-team's help and input which lead to this aim mechanism that so many of us truly love.

If some want an option for a different one i can totally understand that... but it's sorta unfair regardless to have players on different acceleration curves when aiming is concerned. That should be the one area that remains consistent. Player movement and aiming.

Spasm

Leave the current aiming as-is, add an option for that classic Halo feel, profit.

To be clear, I'm only talking about a difference in sensitivity and acceleration. Aim assist, reticle stickiness, etc would be the same.

nOoblet16

Lower sensitivity would not help me land my shots when I'm already not doing so because my aim is short on max. Unless my issue is with the slower diagonal aiming.

I don't turn around when I'm at a disadvantage of course, but that's just one scenario you cherry-picked to support your argument--I'm perfectly able to run away even with high sensitivity, better at it even. For another scenario, suppose the player approaching me from behind does not have a line of sight on me? I can turn around to meet them, where as on low sensitivity I'm screwed unless I can escape, which may be not be optimal.

There's no valid argument that being able to turn fast is a bad thing, unless the high sensitivity required makes you unable to properly land your shots.

For console shooters most high level players play at medium sensitivity because it is easier to track targets, especially at range. With high sensitivity you will end up overshooting your target a lot and tracking a target is hard because it will require really really fine movements, something usually not possible with high sensitivity unless you use modified analogue sticks which are taller than usual.

This is the prime reason why even on PC a lot of players prefer to use high DPI but low to medium sensitivity controls for mouse rather than high DPI and high sensitivity, you don't want your aim to move halfway across the screen because you twitched or moved the device 1mm.

Now you're the one suggesting they implement aim assist? No one is asking for aim assist. People complaining are doing so because the sensitivity isn't consistent across the axes. Adjusting your aim diagonally from shoulder to head should be faster than adjusting it horizontally from shoulder to chest, then vertically from chest to head.

It isn't, and this makes aiming clunky. It isn't consistent, so you can't expect consistent results. Unless you take to moving your thumbstick only horizontally and vertically, which is just laughable.

No... just no. What? lol

Aim is what it is. It's what their team of dozens of designers settled on. The vocal minority here has a valid argument that they dont like it. That's completely cool! Doesnt mean it needs to be changed when the majority have no issues with it whatsoever. Done.

E92 M3

But that's what i'm saying... the vast majority have no problems with the way H5 plays. It's not going to drop like H4. 343i knocked it out of the park... in part with the pro-team's help and input which lead to this aim mechanism that so many of us truly love.

If some want an option for a different one i can totally understand that... but it's sorta unfair regardless to have players on different acceleration curves when aiming is concerned. That should be the one area that remains consistent. Player movement and aiming.

I hope you're right, but we'll see what happens after BO3 drops. Personally, I have no issues with the aim assist but the aiming isn't consistent and needs to be looked at.

I want to see Halo 5 succeed.

gypsygib

Ive never been good at FPS multiplayer and this may be an ignorant question but how does that disadvantage anyone in a competitive setting? Everyone would experience the same "issue" and be on the same playing field.

If OP is worse only as a result of the diagonal aiming it means others are better as a result the same thing and for them, aiming would be improved.

GReeeeN

I completely agree with the OP

The beta felt really nice, and very easy to control, very similar to the older halos.

Ive been changing the sensitivity in halo 5 constantly and ive played for a good 10+ hours now

If you get shot from 90 degrees, you cannot seem to turn fast enough to do anything about it

I didn't know they were talking about it on Reddit, I do know that this was the reason I've waited for Halo5 though as all over the Xim4 boards they've been talking about how this is the reasons the adapter doesn't work as well as all other games. I'm sure they'll fix it sooner than later. Hopefully.

I'm actually now of the mind to just close these clickbait threads when they crop up, because they truly benefit no one. Perhaps the OP should post this in the game OT, as no one has yet raised this issue despite hundreds of hours of gameplay from our own community.

Otherwise, it has all the elements of looking for just another angle to shit on 343's fantastic work with this game.

This should have always been the case. These type of threads are more meant for multiplayer specific forums where you help the developer improve the game upon release (In this case HaloWaypoint). Otherwise you could make 100s of threads talking about bugs and mechanic decisions on any given multiplayer game across the industry.

I hope you're right, but we'll see what happens after BO3 drops. Personally, I have no issues with the aim assist but the aiming isn't consistent and needs to be looked at.

I want to see Halo 5 succeed.

Hey, we can both agree on that now :)

I also just watched that video... that's an error or somethings wrong. My game doesn't do that at all.

Lucifon

There's nothing unfair about the solution to what seems to be the problem. The diagonal aiming is slower than the other axis, resulting in an unsmooth overall curve of aiming. Whether this affects you or not is purely a mental thing. Don't get me wrong, I can still play the game, and still do decent online, but it feels like I'm constantly battling with the aim rather than just battling with other players - believe me, it's frustrating but not 100% debilitating.

As a result this is why you'll see a lot of people not being vocal about the issue, many will just play happily without really noticing something is wrong. In fact I guarantee that if the issue is fixed many people will feel the fix without realising in the first place anything was wrong (and also many probably won't notice a difference). Minor aiming things like this are a very subjective thing.

Hope that helps explain it better.

I'm actually now of the mind to just close these clickbait threads when they crop up, because they truly benefit no one. Perhaps the OP should post this in the game OT, as no one has yet raised this issue despite hundreds of hours of gameplay from our own community.

Otherwise, it has all the elements of looking for just another angle to shit on 343's fantastic work with this game. It is not perfect, but considering the challenges involved I think they deserve better consideration than being called 'fucking hacks'.

tbf to the poster, his (her?) posting history is solid, however on the general point on threads like this I couldn't agree more.

Blueblur1

Otherwise, it has all the elements of looking for just another angle to shit on 343's fantastic work with this game.

While the game is good it is lacking in a few areas (mostly multiplayer) and this is a legitimate issue for me. I've been having trouble with aiming and have been flipping back and forth between sensitivity settings wondering why I have such a problem in this game but not in previous Halo games or the Halo 5 beta. This issue explains it.

Some folks aren't so eloquent when addressing this and others aren't when defending. I feel its fine to have a thread. Unfortunately it has to be policed because of the way some users are.

No... just no. What? lol

Aim is what it is. It's what their team of dozens of designers settled on. The vocal minority here has a valid argument that they dont like it. That's completely cool! Doesnt mean it needs to be changed when the majority have no issues with it whatsoever. Done.

That vast majority would have no issue if it was changed, because they wouldn't even notice it. Maybe in November some number of them will start switching between Halo and Black Ops 3, and then complain something feels off about aiming in Halo.

An issue is not less of an issue because most people do not recognize it as such.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-popularity.html

Top Bottom