• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 aiming system: the good, the bad (or bugged with new controllers?)

Caja 117

Just watched the video.

Seriously? Is this Halo 5 exclusive because I don't remember this in Halo 3, and I played a lot of Halo 3. I can't understand why there would be such an awful discrepancy.
It happened there, but it was a controller issue I think.

Lothars

Is this in campaign and PvP? I haven't played a single second of campaign yet... maybe that's where it's most pronounced?
Both, I tried campaign and noticed it than I was playing both in warzone and swat and noticed it just as strange there as well.

MaGlock

Whilst a few moments here or there felt wonky, I can't say if change what I'd describe as the tightest feeling shooter I've played in years

DarkOneX

I didn't really notice what this is talking about, but I'm horrible at the game and not sure why but seems I've always been pretty horrible at Halo games when I excel in others like CoD. One thing that is driving me crazy and cannot fathom why they made this design choice is when you are looking down iron sights and get shot it instantly takes you out of iron sights. That is the dumbest and most annoying shit ever, really makes no sense and makes iron sights pretty useless.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I have to use Call of Duty as an example. Of all games and series that I've played, Call of Duty is the only one in which aiming is the most responsive. I can make a circle seamlessly in those games. I think this is a big reason why I can only play that series competitively. Can developers make aiming with an analog stick just as fluid as the Call of Duty series? Or is such a thing tied to the engine? I'm genuinely curious.

BokehKing

Banned
I didn't really notice what this is talking about, but I'm horrible at the game and not sure why but seems I've always been pretty horrible at Halo games when I excel in others like CoD. One thing that is driving me crazy and cannot fathom why they made this design choice is when you are looking down iron sights and get shot it instantly takes you out of iron sights. That is the dumbest and most annoying shit ever, really makes no sense and makes iron sights pretty useless.
That is to make the hardcore halo fans happy and not riot, it's definitely annoying, it's called descoping, it's their game though, having true ADS would make it like COD and it would attract the wrong audience

Computer

If you get out skilled its not because that aim is broken. I think gun play is the best of any shooter I have ever played.

It's a balance thing. Snipers and other long-range weapons would be utterly dominant without descoping. It's not needed in COD because of the superlow TTK, but in Halo it'd be a disaster.

Lol @ people talking about auto aim. That isn't the issue that people are complaining about. The aiming for me (and countless others) feels like some sort of aim acceleration. Others have complained about sensitivity changing speed mid turn. The answer isn't "get gud". All other halo games have had smooth controls (including the h5 beta). Defending shit controls that, as the video in op confirms, are obviously messed up in some way right now with "learn the game" arguments is overboard. 343 have already acknowledged the problem on their forums in countless threads. It isn't because we're all noobs lol. Where there's smoke...

The aiming would still feel off coming from Black Ops 3 anyway since that game has slight soft locking.

You seriously can't tell the difference in aiming between Destiny and Halo? Just aim down the sights at a target in both games. Destiny has subtle soft locks.

Oh there is a difference, dont get me wrong... but some are saying it's far to jarring and something is wrong that all other shooters are nothing like H5 in terms of aiming and analog movement.

My counter to that is they're all different and H5's complete lack of "soft locking" and other aim-assists throws some players for a fucking loopty-loop. ;)

I have no issue with Destiny's "aiming" nor do I any FPS that i can recall really. Save for maybe GoldenEye and Turock 1&2... pain in my ass back then... but i got used to them

Both, I tried campaign and noticed it than I was playing both in warzone and swat and noticed it just as strange there as well.

Ok good info... thanks! So if you had to estimate it's equally "off" to you throughout the game in general?

Lol @ people talking about auto aim. That isn't the issue that people are complaining about. The aiming for me (and countless others) feels like some sort of aim acceleration. Others have complained about sensitivity changing speed mid turn. The answer isn't "get gud". All other halo games have had smooth controls (including the h5 beta). Defending shit controls that, as the video in op confirms, are obviously messed up in some way right now with "learn the game" arguments is overboard. 343 have already acknowledged the problem on their forums in countless threads. It isn't because we're all noobs lol. Where there's smoke...

What sensitivity do you play on by chance? Can you link me to where 343i has "acknowledged the problem" please? I'm curious to give it a read.

nib95

Banned
You're blaming the lack of aim assist with this bug.

It's a minor bug, but the lack of aim assist is the biggest change.

I fear that this bug is getting overblown because people can't adjust to the lack of aim assist.

I'm gonna hop on halo 5 someday and see that they made the aiming easier than halo 2 because people can't deal with less aim assist...

Then I will cry.

Is there less aim assist in the MP than there is in the SP? Because there is an excessive amount of aim assist in the SP. To the extent where it will routinely draw your reticule away from an enemy you are shooting at, if another runs past or in-front.

Vitor711

This game has the worst deadzone issues since Uncharted 3's original release. In fact, when I did tests, it came up with the exact same results.

Try doing small circles with the analogue stick - the reticule barely moves. Then push the stick all the way to the side and gently nudge it up and down, you'll notice that the reticule moves horizontally but NOT vertically at all.

Seriously, it's identical to the problems I had with UC3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARYIqfvswDU

Spasm

Well, there's a front page Reddit post and 13 pages (so far) here. We've got people upset at how it is now, and people that would be upset if it changed. It's rough to be the king.

343 is aware. Hopefully we hear something soon.

Edit: Holy shit! 15,000 views on the video in the OP.

Caja 117

That is to make the hardcore halo fans happy and not riot, it's definitely annoying, it's called descoping, it's their game though, having true ADS would make it like COD and it would attract the wrong audience

You got it backwards, ADS is in Halo to cater to the the COD type of crowd. and Descoping is not annoying as having a flinch while scoped and been shot at.

It's a balance thing. Snipers and other long-range weapons would be utterly dominant without descoping. It's not needed in COD because of the superlow TTK, but in Halo it'd be a disaster.

This is correct, it was a big problem in Halo 4, with all and having flinch.

RefigeKru

Banned
If you get out skilled its not because that aim is broken. I think gun play is the best of any shooter I have ever played.

I dunno. Actually looks like the aim is broken.

Doesn't this Halo offer much more verticality and a faster pace compared to the older ones? Say someone is about to ground pound you and you see them but instead of being able to quickly aim and pop them this holds you back.. Someone shooting from high up and you won't be able to react fast enough, even if you do..

Just makes no sense.

I think it's fine if pros want it to play like that. But don't aim all your advertising at casuals if the main attraction of the game isn't geared towards us.

SwolBro

Banned

Doesn't this Halo offer much more verticality and a faster pace compared to the older ones? Say someone is about to ground pound you and you see them but instead of being able to quickly aim and pop them this holds you back.. Someone shooting from high up and you won't be able to react fast enough, even if you do..

Just makes no sense.

do you play the game? do you actually know if it makes sense or not? because i've seen some twitch streams that people couldn't aim for shit, and others where a guy barely missed a shot.

seriously, fuck.

I think it's fine if pros want it to play like that. But don't aim all your advertising at casuals if the main attraction of the game isn't geared towards us.
But aren't "casuals" going to have pretty mediocre aim anyways? i'm pretty sure nothing you do for someone that hops on for a few min a day is going to make them that much better or worse at the game.

Just makes no sense.

Wait what do you mean here?

Caja 117

Just makes no sense.

Still doesn't take away that this aim issue is not really why would you get outBR by someone else.

Vitor711

Is there less aim assist in the MP than there is in the SP? Because there is an excessive amount of aim assist in the SP. To the extent where it will routinely draw your reticule away from an enemy you are shooting at, if another runs past or in-front.

Like I mentioned, it's a dead-zone issue. I'm having issues aiming in the SP campaign and, when testing reticule movement, it's blindingly obvious that as well as the acceleration being weird, there is a HUGE deadzone that basically doesn't read small movements - the sort that you'd do when trying to correct a shot that's barely off target.

CryptiK

a lot of console shooters have this, not just halo. Titanfall has a slower look speed when looking up as well.

people see something they dont' understand and start screaming about it... it's ridiculous. try to understand something before being mad. i don't understand how this stuff works, why would i go flipping bat shit crazy because someone posted a video?

So, you know EXACTLY what is going on with the aiming that you don't like? And you're that confident Destiny (halo's former developer) doesn't implement something similar?
Titanfall did not have this on the insane aim setting. Do your research before saying someone doesnt understand something.

Like I mentioned, it's a dead-zone issue. I'm having issues aiming in the SP campaign and, when testing reticule movement, it's blindingly obvious that as well as the acceleration being weird, there is a HUGE deadzone that basically doesn't read small movements - the sort that you'd do when trying to correct a shot that's barely off target.

That's an Xbox One controller issue i believe... at least in any shooter i play on the XBO vs my PS4. The analog sticks on the XBO have horrid initial movement points / deadzones.

SwolBro

Banned
Titanfall did not have this on the insane aim setting. Do your research before saying someone doesnt understand something.

yes, on the insane setting it didn't. on all the others it did. Insane setting also didn't have aim assist.

i know exactly how it works. not many console users play on insane. i even had a lengthy discussion with a Respawn dev about this.

ZServ

You got it backwards, ADS is in Halo to cater to the the COD type of crowd. and Descoping is not annoying as having a flinch while scoped and been shot at.

This is correct, it was a big problem in Halo 4, with all and having flinch.
I'm so confused. Do people really not know the difference between ADS and zoom? Halo still uses zoom, like always. It just visually looks like ADS instead of the traditional scope. Functionally, it's still zoom like in past Halos.

Yes, visually it was changed to appeal to the COD crowd because otherwise people have it stuck in their head that Halo "feels" weird.

What sensitivity do you play on by chance? Can you link me to where 343i has "acknowledged the problem" please? I'm curious to give it a read.

No problem, dude. I'm on my phone at work so I'll have to link when I get off in an hour or so. Anyway, I've tried various sensitivity settings but have settled on 6. I noticed the slow down when turning on the higher sensitivites though. Also, to further explain the feeling for those reading. The best way to describe how it feels came from my brother yesterday. He said it feels like the difference in having vsync on vs off in some pc shooters and I agree. It just feels sluggish or laggy no matter the sensitivity.

RefigeKru

Banned
Wait what do you mean here?

Someone is diagonally positioned to you at a height, let's say they strafe across and get the first shot off in a BR battle and instead of being able to aim diagonally with speed you have to wade through the screen to get a decent shot despite the fact that you noticed their position.

do you play the game? do you actually know if it makes sense or not? because i've seen some twitch streams that people couldn't aim for shit, and others where a guy barely missed a shot.

seriously, fuck.

No, but I've played a LOT of Halo. Fuck tonnes. Was my go to shooter for like 3 years on my old 360 and it just seems like something that would hinder my aim in certain situations. Situations that Halo would quite frequently present to you.

CryptiK

yes, on the insane setting it didn't. on all the others it did. Insane setting also didn't have aim assist.

i know exactly how it works. not many console users play on insane. i even had a lengthy discussion with a Respawn dev about this.
I played on it as I don't care for aim assist or for the different sensitivities between Horizontal and vertical it just feels weird. Like I said they should just give us the option.

I'm so confused. Do people really not know the difference between ADS and zoom? Halo still uses zoom, like always. It just visually looks like ADS instead of the traditional scope. Functionally, it's still zoom like in past Halos.

Yes, visually it was changed to appeal to the COD crowd because otherwise people have it stuck in their head that Halo "feels" weird.
How is it not essentially ADS now ADS is zoom with sights.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Man peoples feelings were hurt by the first 2 topic titles huh? Eggshell city. Current one is some politician level of semantic gymnastics.

Somethings broken with the aiming clearly. In the interests of "fairness", the Uncharted 3 topic titles ended up as "aiming issues/problems".

Or go full hog with next topic change to "How awesome is Halo 5's aiming? SO AWESOME!!"

cackhyena

I'd like to blame this on why I'm terrible at this game's mp, even though I fare perfectly fine in most others...something tells me that's not it, tho.

Man peoples feelings were hurt by the first 2 topic titles huh? Eggshell city. Current one is some politician level of semantic gymnastics.

Somethings broken with the aiming clearly. In the interests of "fairness", the Uncharted 3 topic titles ended up as "aiming issues/problems".

Or go full hog with next topic change to "How awesome is Halo 5's aiming? SO AWESOME!!"

lol. dude its not a bug. thats peoples issue with it

SwolBro

Banned
I played on it as I don't care for aim assist or for the different sensitivities between Horizontal and vertical it just feels weird. Like I said they should just give us the option.

i went back and looked and i think you're wrong.

(yaw/pitch)
Insane: 400/320 ADS: 200/110

so, yes they did have different speed inputs. What was different was the aim-assist being off or close to off.

Caja 117

Look at the AR and SMG, thats the real change, these weapon didnt have ADS or ZOOM or smart scope, and this is to cater the casual that like to use low skill weapon as their main weapon of choice.

No, but I've played a LOT of Halo. Fuck tonnes. Was my go to shooter for like 3 years on my old 360 and it just seems like something that would hinder my aim in certain situations. Situations that Halo would quite frequently present to you.

Im sorry but if someone is claiming that played a ton of Halo in 360 and not notice this problem then they were not paying attention, the 360 controller have a problem with that, and you could notice this slow turn trouble in any Halo in 360, this is nothing new to Halo.

No problem, dude. I'm on my phone at work so I'll have to link when I get off in an hour or so. Anyway, I've tried various sensitivity settings but have settled on 6. I noticed the slow down when turning on the higher sensitivites though. Also, to further explain the feeling for those reading. The best way to describe how it feels came from my brother yesterday. He said it feels like the difference in having vsync on vs off in some pc shooters and I agree. It just feels sluggish or laggy no matter the sensitivity.

Sweet no worries man... just interested to see what 343i is saying/might potentially address. I also settled on 6. I jump back to 7 depending on if i'll be rushing on Truth or something but 6 feels the best to me personally. Very quick (for Halo) but still dialed in for proper chaining.

Someone is diagonally positioned to you at a height, let's say they strafe across and get the first shot off in a BR battle and instead of being able to aim diagonally with speed you have to wade through the screen to get a decent shot despite the fact that you noticed their position.

What happens when you say move your left stick to compensate for the horizontal movement as you push up on your right stick (how most Halo players learn to play). Same speed, no? I believe this "left-stick-aiming" is something some Halo players still dont do and maybe that's why they're feeling this "offness"? idk Quickest way being a straight line doesn't come just from your right stick. You shouldnt be standing still like that and i dont think the majority of player are. Maybe the controls are just trying to teach some players the best-practice in Halo movement/aiming. You know the SOP/QSOI in aiming for Halo5? lol

If the devs tell you the controls are working 100 percent as designed, nothing is broken.

Spasm

Instead of calling it noob friendly, or for casual players, we must now say, "accessible to a wider audience."

woodland

Sure, but with the way this game was designed for pro play specifically and the way Ghost talked about why it is the way it is it sounds like they found what they want. It doesn't seem like they considered what would be best for the average player, just what they think is best for competition. I'd love for them to prove me wrong though.

Thank you for your great contribution to this discussion.

And you've made better ones? 90% of your posts are how your playing badly and can't get into it cause of the aiming. By all means, change it if it's actually worse - but the vast majority is managing to perform fine with it so it won't do much for you.

Games balanced around pro play are better games. They're more balanced, less reactionary (usually), and they keep the game in a solid state. Dota, StarCraft, League - all are games balanced around the highest level of play, by looking at winrates, tournament performance, etc and these games are the most popular around by a mile. Same with CS:GO, a shooter. Would you rather balance the game around people that know how to play or people who think the Rocket Goose is OP and can't be beaten?

The game fine using pros for feedback in all modes. They know the game vastly better than other players and they're experience should count for more.

Someone's feeling fruity.

Drive by trolling or just bashing the dev won't be looked upon favorably.

In response to your point PaB, I think m0dus's title change is a great example of how to promote a balanced, open discussion of a design decision which some people may not have been aware of but subconsciously may not like.

Azlan

I am really wary of them making any changes. As it is, it seems like the most responsive and tightest fps I have played in ages. Really hoping they don't increase aim assist or any such nonsense.

RefigeKru

Banned
What happens when you say move your left stick to compensate for the horizontal movement as you push up on your right stick (how most Halo players learn to play). Same speed, no? I believe this "left-stick-aiming" is something some Halo players still dont do and maybe that's why there feeling this "offness"? idk

Man, I know how to aim in Halo as well as many other shooting games. I'm going to sound like a prick if I now say that was I fucking good at Halo 3 as well as a myriad of other shootings. I've never had a problem aiming in a lot of games and I understand more than most that you'll have to adjust to the schemes and rules available in each
much like the 30fps vs 60fps arguments that happen often here
but watching those videos... Just looks wrong.

Im sorry but if someone is claiming that played a ton of Halo in 360 and not notice this problem then they were not paying attention, the 360 controller have a problem with that, and you could notice this slow turn trouble in any Halo in 360, this is nothing new to Halo.

That's why in my first post here I asked if it was the same. But you have to remember that Halo 3 didn't have sprinting, dashing, ground pounds, etc. Was a much slower paced game, one I loved.

Are you saying the diagonal aiming was 1:1 with what we're seeing here even on the higher sensitivities?

Blueblur1

I am really wary of them making any changes. As it is, it seems like the most responsive and tightest fps I have played in ages. Really hoping they don't increase aim assist or any such nonsense.

Its not about aim assist. The issue is with aim acceleration when moving the reticle diagonally along with different acceleration rates (as opposed to being the same all the time).

Because it is that way day 1 in Halo CE and is a hallmark design of the series, it balances ranged weapons to limit their performance in close range combat, plus you are not supposed to ADS in Halo unless you have to.

Man, I know how to aim in Halo as well as many other shooting games. I'm going to sound like a prick if I now say that was I fucking good at Halo 3 as well as a myriad of other shootings. I've never had a problem aiming in a lot of games and I understand more than most that you'll have to adjust to the schemes and rules available in each
much like the 30fps vs 60fps arguments that happen often here
but watching those videos... Just looks wrong.

No i completly get it and i'm not trying to insult anyone saying they're unaccustomed to shooters like Halo or anything... but i do believe there hasn't been a shooter like H5 for quite some time and that a lot of us are a little "out of practice". Hell, all the previous Halos even had more "forgiving" controls than H5 does.

Does your experience mirror those videos? Because mine doesn't so far... at all. I'll be doing some more digging when i'm home later for sure.

Trup1aya

It's always been a part of halo... It allows players to defend themselves against players using ranged weapons. And rewards players who are skilled enough to pull off precision shots w/o zoom, and/or get their kills quickly before being descope.

I figured out why you have always been bad at halo games... Because they require a lot of skill

Its not about aim assist. The issue is with aim acceleration when moving the reticle diagonally along with different acceleration rates (as opposed to being the same all the time).

Do you guys not think that was maybe intended as Halo has always been a game about left stick strafe aiming? I'm honestly asking a question not trying to be an ass :) just the theory i've come to recently.

Top Bottom