• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 aiming system: the good, the bad (or bugged with new controllers?)

ironcreed

Banned
LOL, I am hardly some 'pro player' and all I feel is the amazing gameplay. So if this is the kind of aiming that all of the top level players prefer, then I guess I can see why. As it feels great.

Lothars

I'm actually now of the mind to just close these clickbait threads when they crop up, because they truly benefit no one. Perhaps the OP should post this in the game OT, as no one has yet raised this issue despite hundreds of hours of gameplay from our own community.

Otherwise, it has all the elements of looking for just another angle to shit on 343's fantastic work with this game. It is not perfect, but considering the challenges involved I think they deserve better consideration than being called 'fucking hacks'.
I think the biggest issue is I wouldn't have known there was a bunch of people that played previous halos and found an issue with the aiming in this game. I definitely think it's weird and something is off about it but I thought it was just me. I know it's not just me that feels that way and 343 is investigating. The original title was the issue but the thread definitely isn't.

I just want Halo to retain a population. Console shooters are a very competitive market. On PC developers can get away with making a game for the ultra hardcore.

My main concern is the health of the overall community for Halo 5. I do not want to see a population drop like in Halo 4.
Agreed and I am concerned there will be a huge population drop off, I hope that's not the case but it is something in the back of my mind as I talk to some of my friends that I play with.

CryptiK

I cant see how pro players would be for this... The game has a lot of verticality(?). Why would you want slower aim when looking up? Could you imagine they did this to a PC game people would lose their fucking minds. The fairest solution would be to have two aiming options "Legacy" for how its always been and "New" for the new one surely it can't be hard.

Caja 117

I havent noticed anything but I play in Sen 3, and I remember I had that slow down problem in Halo 3.

also, funny how I open up this thread and I see a lot of the post here hidden because of the ignore option.

There's nothing unfair about the solution to what seems to be the problem. The diagonal aiming is slower than the other axis, resulting in an unsmooth overall curve of aiming. Whether this affects you or not is purely a mental thing. Don't get me wrong, I can still play the game, and still do decent online, but it feels like I'm constantly battling with the aim rather than just battling with other players - believe me, it's frustrating but not 100% debilitating.

As a result this is why you'll see a lot of people not being vocal about the issue, many will just play happily without really noticing something is wrong. In fact I guarantee that if the issue is fixed many people will feel the fix without realising in the first place anything was wrong (and also many probably won't notice a difference). Minor aiming things like this are a very subjective thing.

Hope that helps explain it better.

I dont for a second believe most shooters have 100 even acceleration curves in all directions. I think the majority of modern shooter have very specifically tuned acc curves when it comes to aiming. I'm still not sure how some detect this oddness in H5 when i cannont whatsoever. I honestly (after watching that video) wonder if there is something larger going on here bug wise or with peoples controllers etc. I do only play wired with my default XBO controller... i'll try it in wireless mode maybe? Maybe try out a third party controller. Idk but what's shown in that video does NOT happen in my game.

I cant see how pro players would be for this... The game has a lot of verticality(?). Why would you want slower aim when looking up? Could you imagine they did this to a PC game people would lose their fucking minds.

There seems to be an assumption that pro players do like it. I personally can't wrap my head around* it because if something like this was put on PC I wouldn't play the game. But because consoles have accelleration, analog sticks, and aim assist... maybe it actually helps tracking on bunny hoppers?

*(although I am trying and I find the discussion interesting)

Agreed and I am concerned there will be a huge population drop off, I hope that's not the case but it is something in the back of my mind as I talk to some of my friends that I play with.

The "aiming issue" will be one of the last reasons H5 loses it's population. Small # of multiplayer maps, team dropping (quitters), and newer games would be of larger consequence i'm 100% certain.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Before reading anything online, one of the first thoughts I had when playing Halo 5 was "huh, this aiming actually requires some skill... I'm not getting freebie kills because of auto-aim, and you really have to work the controls to land a headshot... this feels way more rewarding than Call of Duty or every other shooter I've played lately."

I have a TERRIBLE K/D, and am absolutely not good - I've been rocked and out maneuvered countless times already. But I feel like I've EARNED my kills, and the aiming takes some legitimate skill; something I don't say about the instal-kills I get in most shooters.

Now I see this huge thread and all these complaints. Put me in the camp of folks who think some people have gotten too used to (or heck, grown up with) the crazy auto-aim and twitchy, low-TTK gameplay found in a lot of modern shooters.

I dont for a second believe most shooters have 100 even acceleration curves in all directions. I think the majority of modern shooter have very specifically tuned acc curves when it comes to aiming. I'm still not sure how some detect this oddness in H5 when i cannont whatsoever. I honestly (after watching that video) wonder if there is something larger going on here bug wise or with peoples controllers etc. I do only play wired with my default XBO controller... i'll try it in wireless mode maybe? Maybe try out a third party controller. Idk but what's shown in that video does NOT happen in my game.

Try make a perfect circle in Halo 5.

16BitNova

I haven't felt much of a difference. But as with any new game. The aiming is something you have to get used to. Just practice people. If this was intentional then its there for a reason. Devs shouldn't have to change their game because people suck at it. What kind of shit is that?

Try make a perfect circle in Halo 5.

Oh i will for sure when i get out of work. If mine is seriously like that... and i havent noticed... then wow. Because i'm 100% loving the aiming. But hey... even if i draw crooked fruit loops with the controller... it's implemented in that fashion for specific reasons... and whatever those FPS-wizard reasons are... shit works on point, tight as fuck for me 100% every game. haha

Jinaar

I hope you're right, but we'll see what happens after BO3 drops. Personally, I have no issues with the aim assist but the aiming isn't consistent and needs to be looked at.

I want to see Halo 5 succeed.

It already has succeeded. Just not up to your specifications. And that's fine. Go play BO3. But right now, my friends are saying how great the gameplay is, I'm personally going from gawd-awful to really darn average and hopefully to really darn good in just a matter of days. You play thru the pain of the learning curve, just like in anything.

Halo 5 is Halo 5. It isn't Halo 2. It isn't CoD. It isn't Destiny. It's Halo 5. These are the games mechanics set out over countless hours of effort, either get behind it or find something more up your alley, but don't spend time post after post trying to effect change where change doesn't need to be done at this moment.

Like in any game, you have to troubleshoot why your actions in the game cause a negative outcome. Fix those actions and reap the rewards. Dark Souls 101. Work with the limitations to become better.

Strafe more; don't place yourself in predicaments which require you to spaz 360 to get kills; Range kill the shit out of people; use your mini map more; duck; don't constantly run head long around corners; weapon switch like a mofo (Sniper Rifle -> Pistol combo wrecks)

After all the whining about Gears UE, and now this, it's really apparent modern players simply cannot handle being bad at a game.

Take some time to adjust and learn the ropes instead of screaming bloody murder from the rooftops. The game isn't broken. Get over yourselves.

Yeah the aiming does feel a bit wonky. I've tried different sensitivities for a bit and I feel comfortable with 8. It definitely is a little jarring to jump into a Halo game and not be as good as I used to be.

Oh well, I'll just keep playing and trying to get better. That constant need for improvement was one of my favorite aspects of the older games multiplayer

It already has succeeded. Just not up to your specifications. And that's fine. Go play BO3. But right now, my friends are saying how great the gameplay is, I'm personally going from gawd-awful to really darn average and hopefully to really darn good in just a matter of days. You play thru the pain of the learning curve, just like in anything.

Halo 5 is Halo 5. It isn't Halo 2. It isn't CoD. It isn't Destiny. It's Halo 5. These are the games mechanics set out over countless hours of effort, either get behind it or find something more up your alley, but don't spend time post after post trying to effect change where change doesn't need to be done at this moment.

Like in any game, you have to troubleshoot why your actions in the game cause a negative outcome. Fix those actions and reap the rewards. Dark Souls 101. Work with the limitations to become better.

Strafe more; don't place yourself in predicaments which require you to spaz 360 to get kills; Range kill the shit out of people; use your mini map more; duck; don't constantly run head long around corners; weapon switch like a mofo (Sniper Rifle -> Pistol combo wrecks)

This dude (dudette?) gets it

Before reading anything online, one of the first thoughts I had when playing Halo 5 was "huh, this aiming actually requires some skill... I'm not getting freebie kills because of auto-aim, and you really have to work the controls to land a headshot... this feels way more rewarding than Call of Duty or every other shooter I've played lately."

I have a TERRIBLE K/D, and am absolutely not good - I've been rocked and out maneuvered countless times already. But I feel like I've EARNED my kills, and the aiming takes some legitimate skill; something I don't say about the instal-kills I get in most shooters.

Now I see this huge thread and all these complaints. Put me in the camp of folks who think some people have gotten too used to (or heck, grown up with) the crazy auto-aim and twitchy, low-TTK gameplay found in a lot of modern shooters.

How about you read the thread? It isn't about aim assist. No or low aim assist is a good thing for competitive play. Inconsistent sensitivity across axes is not.

It takes just as much skill to land a headshot with consistent sensitivity as it does without. All the inconsistency does is make aiming difficult for people who play other shooters that don't have it.

I'm with you on this. I feel like i miss my shots because I didn't aim properly. I can already tell I'm getting better, but i think my sluggish start is due to the lack of aim assist.

And I'm loving it. So tired of console shooters doing the work for me.

But hey, i hope they figure out a fix to please everyone.

The aiming has felt the best in the series so I wouldn't advocate change. That said, I did play at a bit of a higher level in the beta and perhaps this is why. I'm getting better but I could tell something was different.

E92 M3

I know how to play and don't buy CoD games. Halo 5 has done a lot right, but aiming feels off. I am entitled to an opinion just like you.

BokehKing

Banned
lack of aim assist isn't the problem, you still have to know how to aim, there is just a hurdle now to aiming in certain situations

CryptiK

So just put down other shooters? Hard to have a conversation with an elite crowd
I don't understand what you are getting at here? I should just not play other shooters huh?

Elite crowd? What?

The reason I liked the previous controls is because I could set a sensitivity across most games I play similar to each other, that way I don't have to adjust each time I pick up another game. This is going to be annoying with all the new FPS games coming out. Just because it doesnt affect you doesnt mean it doesnt affect others.

I don't care about the aim assist issue tbh I don't like aim assist, but having different sensitivities for different directions is just not right. And no it doesn't require more skill.

Korosenai

It's been 3 days now, but this still messes me up in one on one fights. I'll land the first free shots and then it's a fight against the reticle just to get it on their head for the last... Guess I just need more practice.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
How about you read the thread? It isn't about aim assist. No or low aim assist is a good thing for competitive play. Inconsistent sensitivity across axes is not.

It takes just as much skill to land a headshot with consistent sensitivity as it does without. All the inconsistency does is make aiming difficult for people who play other shooters that don't have it.

I have read the thread. And many posters have brought attention to the suggestion that some players may be blaming their poor performance on the sensitivity across axes, when it's really that they're not used to such little auto aim. I understand the counter argument, and I'd love them to implement something that pleases everyone; but I imagine they had pro players putting in suggestions for two years for a reason. Hell, even Frankie posted that it took him a while for the controls to "click."

I'm with you on this. I feel like i miss my shots because I didn't aim properly. I can already tell I'm getting better, but i think my sluggish start is due to the lack of aim assist.

And I'm loving it. So tired of console shooters doing the work for me.

But hey, i hope they figure out a fix to please everyone.

Your sluggish start is due to lack of aim assist, and because Halo 5 has inconsistent sensitivity across axes, where no other shooter to my knowledge does. When you've gotten used to Halo 5 and start playing some other shooter, you will have a sluggish start despite the probable aim assist, because that shooter will have consistent sensitivity across axes. You will aim diagonally and overshoot your target.

If Halo 5 had consistent sensitivity like all the other shooters, all that would be different and take time and skill to get used to would be the lack of aim assist.

BokehKing

Banned
I don't understand what you are getting at here? I should just not play other shooters huh?

Elite crowd? What?

The reason I liked the previous controls is because I could set a sensitivity across most games I play similar to each other, that way I don't have to adjust each time I pick up another game. This is going to be annoying with all the new FPS games coming out. Just because it doesnt affect you doesnt mean it doesnt affect others.
I think I misread your other post, the way it was worded made it sound like "all other FPS shooters are not as good"

I agree with your above statement

Max, of course. I probably wouldn't play Halo 5 on as high a sensitivity as I do other shooters, because then I would almost certainly overshoot my aim. But max for me on Halo 5 is not fast enough; I touch my stick and I'm short of reaching my target. I don't know how much of this is because of slower diagonal aiming.

Yeah you can't actually be really good on that sense (might be good for swat). But people are free to play however they want.

Lucifon

Interesting to know, hopefully they can get to the bottom of it though. My friend group who I play online with also noticed and discussed aiming issues but couldn't figure out what exactly until today (still love playing the game!). One even went out and bought a 24 inch monitor just to play on as he thought it was the effect of playing on a large TV putting him off - if that doesn't confirm people are feeling the issue I don't know what does.

Lothars

It may be a bug than, I don't know but I felt it since I started playing the game. I have had nothing but issues with the aiming, I was just going to keep trying till I got it right.

The "aiming issue" will be one of the last reasons H5 loses it's population. Small # of multiplayer maps, team dropping (quitters), and newer games would be of larger consequence i'm 100% certain.
Yes that will be an bigger issue for the population lost but I do feel this aiming bug is a bigger issue than most people make it out to be and Ideally the population lost will not be that much at all.

This system allows an ever wider spread of skill imo.

Give it a couple weeks for the ranks to settle and we'll see if it results in more well balanced matches than halo has had in the past.

I think it'll be a positive result.

Change is difficult to adapt to but I think if we stick with it long enough our muscle memory will get there. I've noticed my ability to line up shots has improved drastically since release.

Interesting to know, hopefully they can get to the bottom of it though. My friend group who I play online with also noticed and discussed aiming issues but couldn't figure out what exactly until today (still love playing the game!). One even went out and bought a 24 inch monitor just to play on as he thought it was the effect of playing on a large TV putting him off - if that doesn't confirm people are feeling the issue I don't know what does.

Yeah like literally not even close to what that video shows! lol I wonder what sensitivity that was on... maybe sensitivity comes into play here magnifying the uneven horizontal/vertical acc curves? Kinda interested in experimenting now lol.

XenoRaven

I like how we've arrived at "aiming feels off" = "casual COD noob who can't handle being bad". Great discussion point. I've only been playing the series for 14 years. I must be the idiot.

GalvoAg

Banned
I love the aiming and this is from someone who really never plays his Xbox One. Pistol head shots are back and they feel glorious.

Spasm

If Halo 5 had consistent sensitivity like all the other shooters, all that would be different and take time and skill to get used to would be the lack of aim assist.
You don't even need to say all other shooters. Just say, all other Halos, including the H5 beta. That'd help drive the point home a little more cleanly.

Insaniac

The aiming definitely felt off to me the minute i started playing. I thought it was just that Destiny had really really buttery smooth controls and I wasn't used to it

Kill3r7

I don't understand the comparison. CS doesn't have awkward design choices as they had been complained about and then cut out post launch out for more consistent results. Then the game took off.

Read the post I quoted and then read the post he quoted. The implication was that having to "earn your kills", ie high skill curve/level, is somehow a deterrent to the community/casuals. CS is arguably the highest skill shooter right now on PC or console. People put up with it just fine and IMO has the best community of any FPS game.

levyjl1988

Banned
So this is the reason I stopped playing Halo 5 on launch day and went back to playing Destiny. Halo 5 didn't feel right compared to past Halo games.

SwolBro

Banned
I cant see how pro players would be for this... The game has a lot of verticality(?). Why would you want slower aim when looking up? Could you imagine they did this to a PC game people would lose their fucking minds. The fairest solution would be to have two aiming options "Legacy" for how its always been and "New" for the new one surely it can't be hard.

a lot of console shooters have this, not just halo. Titanfall has a slower look speed when looking up as well.

people see something they dont' understand and start screaming about it... it's ridiculous. try to understand something before being mad. i don't understand how this stuff works, why would i go flipping bat shit crazy because someone posted a video?

So this is the reason I stopped playing Halo 5 on launch day and went back to playing Destiny. Halo 5 didn't feel right compared to past Halo games.
So, you know EXACTLY what is going on with the aiming that you don't like? And you're that confident Destiny (halo's former developer) doesn't implement something similar?

I have read the thread. And many posters have brought attention to the suggestion that some players may be blaming their poor performance on the sensitivity across axes, when it's really that they're not used to such little auto aim. I understand the counter argument, and I'd love them to implement something that pleases everyone; but I imagine they had pro players putting in suggestions for two years for a reason. Hell, even Frankie posted that it took him a while for the controls to "click."

I really don't see how this decision would benefit aiming in Halo 5, but that's not really the issue. The problem is that since Halo 5 is the only shooter that does anything like this, going between it and other shooters will be a very jarring experience. Players may have their sensitivity set similar between games, but will still overshoot their aim on other shooters after having gotten used to Halo 5, or aim short on Halo after playing other shooters for some time.

I would be surprised if more people don't become annoyed by this when people start playing BO3 and SW:BF this holiday.

It may be a bug than, I don't know but I felt it since I started playing the game. I have had nothing but issues with the aiming, I was just going to keep trying till I got it right.

Is this in campaign and PvP? I haven't played a single second of campaign yet... maybe that's where it's most pronounced?

RefigeKru

Banned
Just watched the video.

Seriously? Is this Halo 5 exclusive because I don't remember this in Halo 3, and I played a lot of Halo 3. I can't understand why there would be such an awful discrepancy.

I really don't see how this decision would benefit aiming in Halo 5, but that's not really the issue. The problem is that since Halo 5 is the only shooter that does anything like this, going between it and other shooters will be a very jarring experience. Players may have their sensitivity set similar between games, but will still overshoot their aim on other shooters after having gotten used to Halo 5, or aim short on Halo after playing other shooters for some time.

I would be surprised if more people don't become annoyed by this when people start playing BO3 and SW:BF this holiday.

What's weird is that a lot of us notice no difference going back and forth from Destiny and Halo 5 or Halo 2 and Halo 5 then over to Battlefield Hardline and on to CS:GO. There is a different "feeling" to the aim of each game... but not one that is distractingly different in my opinion. Each has it's "feel".

That vast majority would have no issue if it was changed, because they wouldn't even notice it. Maybe in November some number of them will start switching between Halo and Black Ops 3, and then complain something feels off about aiming in Halo.

An issue is not less of an issue because most people do not recognize it as such.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-popularity.html

The aiming would still feel off coming from Black Ops 3 anyway since that game has slight soft locking.

What's weird is that a lot of us notice no difference going back and forth from Destiny and Halo 5 or Halo 2 and Halo 5 then over to Battlefield Hardline and on to CS:GO. There is a different "feeling" to the aim of each game... but not one that is distractingly different in my opinion. Each has it's "feel".

You seriously can't tell the difference in aiming between Destiny and Halo? Just aim down the sights at a target in both games. Destiny has subtle soft locks.

Top Bottom