• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 aiming system: the good, the bad (or bugged with new controllers?)

I think not. UC was worse because you could not move diagonal at all till the patch if i recall that issue.

This seems fixable rather easy (sensitivity slider?)

Warframe on console (Xbox at least) doesn't allow you to move your aim diagonally at all (unless they've fixed it recently). I really wanted to play it, and even moved my PC character over, but the aim just felt so bad.

That explains it.

Friend and I actually thought his new controller was broken, and we ended up doing two returns in one day since we thought it was the controllers.

New002

So I understand some people hate this, but what are the benefits to this revised aiming system? Why would pro players tweak it like this? Genuinely curious to learn about this if anyone has any insight. Hopefully 343 speaks out on the subject and explains the design decision before changing it.

Edit: Wow I somehow forgot everything I read in the Ghost's post this morning. Shame on me. Still would like to hear more :p

BizzyBum

I don't care what anyone says, the aiming in this is fucked.

Pro players will still be pro, good players will still be good, and bad players will still be bad regardless. A bad player is not going to magically turn great if they fix the aiming, but it's still very annoying. I find myself constantly struggling with my aim that I don't get with other titles.

This makes sense now! I thought I got a silver rank because I suck moose balls, not because of the aiming being off!

Seriously though, I do suck, but not this bad. I hope it gets fixed soon. You make a good point:

A bad player is not going to magically turn great if they fix the aiming, but it's still very annoying. I find myself constantly struggling with my aim that I don't get with other titles.

Earlier today I was trying to aim below me from a ledge and when you try to do that and turn at the same time you can feel the effect of super slow aiming then, otherwise I never really notice it becase most maps have less depth to them, even warzone doesn't feel so bad because the maps are much bigger and spread out.

Really, you don't say?

Let me be clear, if you're worried: you can hate on the game all you like. The issue of it being 'fantastic' (and holy shit at the people taking issue with THAT turn of phrase) or 'a hack job' is not the reason I contemplated closing the thread. It was your wholly inaccurate thread title, and moreso the flurry of kneejerk console-warrior responses that it illicited, which nearly earned it it closure. Rather, I chose to cull some of the chaff, and renamed the thread in an effort to steer the discussion into more diplomatic territory because this issue exists and should be discussed.

So no, no element of people's 'disappointment' is at play here. so voice your despair all you please.

My thread title was inaccurate once a 343 employee responded that it was a design choice. Originally I thought it was a bug, and so did everyone posting in that reddit thread. I asked for it to be changed once it seemed like that was not the case.

So I understand some people hate this, but what are the benefits to this revised aiming system? Why would pro players tweak it like this? Genuinely curious to learn about this if anyone has any insight. Hopefully 343 speaks out on the subject and explains the design decision before changing it.

Edit: Wow I somehow forgot everything I read in the Ghost's post this morning. Shame on me. Still would like to hear more :p

There doesn't appear to be any advantage, they are making it harder for the sake of making it harder.

Detective

I dont know about you guys but the aiming seems good now for some reason. Been playing lots of WZ. Last game. 23/7

It felt way of yesterday. Way to fast on close quarter.

Update: So this is in fact a Bug, it only appears to be an issue on controllers with a 3.5mm jack. I pulled out my old controller from launch and it doesn't have this issue.

Gwyn

Update: So this is in fact a Bug, it only appears to be an issue on controllers with a 3.5mm jack. I pulled out my old controller from launch and it doesn't have this issue.

edit: nvm i read it wrong i thought someone from 343i updated on the issue. Good job on finding the problem if that's the case i hope they fix it soon.

Rizific

huh, i knew the aiming felt off in halo 5. ive only read this last page, but reading the way it is explained up there ^^ is exactly what i noticed from the very beginning. if i wanted to turn, it would start off slow as if the aim assist kicked in and there was someone in front of me with my xhair sticking on him. i still havent finished campaign yet, but at least i know im not crazy.

Grazzt

I'm using the old controller. Still feel different from other halo games, and beta.

Booshka

I wonder if Horizontal Sensitivity and Vertical Sensitivity options in the menu could help alleviate this problem for the players that are being bothered by it.

I think it's time for there to be both options available, especially since H5 is more vertical than most Halo games in the past.

Gnomist

Seth Enosh said:
Xbox one controller doesn't have a gyro or any motion sensors unfortunately. The original idea was that Kinect would detect the controller's position and orientation to allow motion control, but that obviously went out the window when Kinect was made optional and then essentially scrapped.

Ah. Thanks for the correction! For some reason I thought all 3 current consoles had that in their main controllers. That's too bad it's not an option. Hopefully 343 will consider releasing a tweak of the controls for those that prefer the previous style.

And this is the first thing I read after picking up a new controller to try and avoid the controller disconnect issue that plagues every one of my xbox gaming sessions.

(the aiming feels fine to me, though the acceleration threw me a bit at first)

Heysoos

I've tested it with my Elite controller, launch control, and white Xbox MC bundle control. No change in speed from what I can tell.

Gwyn

Just tested this with SO white controller no 3.5 jack and i don't experience the issue in the video OP posted.

Edit: Controller Firmware version 2.3.2381.0

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I feel like I'm decent at FPS but I have a serious problem dealing with close encounters in this game. I feel like I get disoriented and can't really catch them in my sights.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Yeah the beta aiming was better. I hope that they will look at this.

My initial reaction was this. I've adjusted and feel its fine as it is now, but the beta maaaay have been better. It's kind of a nonissue for me though.

Edit: actually, I recall really getting cluster fuckery aiming at close range in the beta and have not noticed this yet in the final game. +1 for keeping it as is.

etta

my hard graphic balls
What I really dislike is how the sensitivity isn't decreased when you are zoomed in. Why is that? Why aren't there sensitivity sliders?

And now the OP in that reddit thread believes he had his right stick set to the delay setting. issue is fixed for him, but not others. confusion abounds. or maybe memory of the beta is selective / subjective.

What is the delay setting? I was using a Halo Edition Controller with the 3.5mm jack and I had the same issue. When I swap to my day one controller it works fine.

Enough people have come out since this started being reported saying "I knew something felt off," that this could be an issue affecting a large amount of people.

BokehKing

Banned
Well I'm using one of the new controllers and it definitely happens to me, I guess the best thing I can do is try to relay to the guys in the match not to strafe on me because I'll be screwed

Ugh oh well, hope it gets patched

I'm using an older controller, and it's been an inconsistent experience for me. It feels decent sometimes, other times it's a struggle and I'm fighting the aiming.

I'm using it as an excuse to upgrade my monitor, because it could definitely be better, regardless of the whatever issues Halo 5 might have.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I had a 3.X K/D ratio in beta, but only got a
negative
one now...
The struggle is real. I hope once I get my Elite controller it will be better.

What did the beta rank you as? What are you ranked now?

And I'm not disputing that it is different, or that there is or isn't an issue. But look at the Reddit thread you sourced--the OP went back to his 3.5mm controller and claims the issue is resolved. People have both confirmed and denied a resolution of the issue here and in that Reddit thread. And some people have never experienced it.

And people's memory of the beta is going to be suspect, given what may or may not have been tweaked, and how long ago it was. As a point of reference, while the overall impression is still valid, is unreliable without having beta code to actually compare it against.

Seriously, are you trying to find something to disagree with?

Lol I've been playing Halo my whole life. For 10 years. For the longest time it was my favorite franchise. I played the beta for a month straight and I played MCC in anticipation of Halo 5. I know what Halo 5 felt like in beta it definitely definitely wasn't this. I mean there are legit arguments maybe but that's not one of em. Halo 5 feels off hell its the only game I've ever picked up where I immediately said wtf the aim feels off. Let alone a Halo game.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm ranked platinum 1 now and I wish I wasn't. I can barely get a 1 k/d ratio.

Not sure how I got ranked this high. I'm getting steamrolled.

BokehKing

Banned

Ranking is messed up, I had one good match and the rest where bad (because I was on the phone not really paying attention, went negative a lot) and they still put me in gold rank

I should have been in bronze or silver

This is my main problem with the aiming, as I tend to be moving the stick right around the point at which it toggles between "aim" and "turn" modes. Also, since they were dead-set on designing it this way, they really had no choice but to make that transition occur well before maximum stick deflection, because they had to account for differences in joystick tolerances. Not every joystick on every controller is going to register maximum stick deflection as the same value (literally the voltage values of the stick's potentiometers), and there will even be differences at different angles for the same joystick.

They should've just opted for 1:1 movement with the sticks. Or just added acceleration to that 1:1 movement as a whole and not split it into two different mechanics. (Like all the other halos) It can still have the same sluggish halo turn speed but not have unpredictable velocity jumps. The Beta's look mechanic was most similar to previous halos, the released one however is drastically different and was a core decision NOT based on some controller flaw as some have suggested here. It's not a controller deal, it was a decision, or a serious @#$% up.

cheezcake

I assume they use an ELO system like every other competitive game, but what they do in the calibration period seems weird. That or the systems just off while there's an influx of new players without calibrated ranks and everything will settle into place in a week.

BokehKing

Banned
So can I fix this 'delay' issue with the halo LE bundle controller in settings somehow or do you need a pro controller to do that?

GavinGT

Banned
They should've just opted for 1:1 movement with the sticks. Or just added acceleration to that 1:1 movement as a whole and not split it into two different mechanics. (Like all the other halos) It can still have the same sluggish halo turn speed but not have unpredictable velocity jumps. The Beta's look mechanic was most similar to previous halos, the released one however is drastically different and was a core decision NOT based on some controller flaw as some have suggested here. It's not a controller deal, it was a decision, or a serious @#$% up.

Halo 4 also had the aim/turn dichotomy, but the higher auto-aim made it much less of a problem.

So can I fix this 'delay' issue with the halo LE bundle controller in settings somehow or do you need a pro controller to do that?

I don't even know what this "delay" setting is for the Elite controller. Never heard of that. But there's nothing to fix with a regular controller, as he's saying it's some setting he turned on for his Elite controller.

Halo 4 also had the aim/turn dichotomy, but the higher auto-aim made it much less of a problem.

I don't even know what this "delay" setting is for the Elite controller. Never heard of that. But there's nothing to fix with a regular controller, as he's saying it's some setting he turned on for his Elite controller.

You might be right, I may have not noticed it as much in Halo 4 MCC because of that. It still functioned better, if you're going to take away more aim assist, you should probably make sure the sticks are as 1:1 as possible.

SwolBro

Banned
This makes sense now! I thought I got a silver rank because I suck moose balls, not because of the aiming being off!

Seriously though, I do suck, but not this bad. I hope it gets fixed soon. You make a good point:

i really want them to fix this. whatever it is just so i can see how many people truly "improve" afterwards.

i'm not convinced anyone that sucks now is going to be any better later.

Head.spawn

Is the 'Delay' setting some XIM3/4 stuff?

Is this guy getting a random bug from using the wrong setting on some third-party BS?

So is this only in MP? or does the "bug" translate to singleplayer, because I just tested out the aiming in the campaign and I don't have the issue presented in that video. Controller is my launch controller.

'Lol' Again--not disputing that there is an issue, or that it is different from the beta. For pinning down the fine point of what may be different, you need access to the beta. Otherwise saying "it feels off" doesn't let peg exactly what the problem is.

And I mention this is separate from the diagonal aim issue, since it may be a bug, and the differences likely go beyond that.

For my two cents, using a day one controller, I haven't experienced the issue. But I'm going to test it against an elite.

Well it definitely feels off compared to 1 through 4. Jump back into MCC and play any of them and they all feel relatively similar in terms of aiming, even Halo 4. 5 feels so completely different from any of them that it's offputting for people who have played Halo consistently (even during the MCC debacle).

I certainly wouldn't disagree that it feels different--though I initially attributed it to the frame rate. Now, I've been playing Halo consistently since the first game--I slid back into my old routine without any problems with this one, but again, that's just my own experience.

I can't get back into mine. Played since CE. Not going to lie, I didn't play 3 long as I had gotten my first "real" job and I skipped four. Played MCC and had gotten used to the game again.

My first day on 5, I'm sitting there bitching to my wife about how the aim seems off. I like to get my bearings by spinning the reticule a bit, but it definitely felt sluggish. I just didn't get it and it's very awkward to get used to. Starting to click some, but it makes it rough to go to any other shooter temporarily. In any case, it definitely feel way different for me.

Top Bottom