• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 aiming system: the good, the bad (or bugged with new controllers?)

Can you hop over to the Elite controller thread and share settings? I would love to collaborate, but no need to bog down this thread.

Yeah, can you please go into the elite thread and elaborate on the sensitivity settings a bit? It's still rather obtuse to me.
It's a preset when you go in the sensitivity curve menu. It's the preset called smooth. I'm not currently at my Xbox one but its definitely in the menu.

Reading more into it.. I GUESS I JUST NEED TO 'GET GUD' lol

Maybe it's my battle with control schemes =/

Halo 2, i moved to Green Thumb because i liked to aim and melee because having melee at B felt really BAD.
kept it ever since....

Now with halo 5 with the added movements i've tried bumber jumper, helljumper, halo 4, default and green thumb..Blah, cant find one that suites everything i want :( ...

My Green Thumb Dream layout: I want jump on left bumber, gernade on left trigger.. zoom to B, crouch to A. So i guess it would look like this:

A - Crouch (currently jump)
B - Zoom (currently crouch)
X - Reload/Action
Y - Switch Weapons
LS - Sprint
RS - Melee (Ground Pound)
LB - Jump (currently gernade)
RB - Thrust
LT - Gernade ( currently zoom )
RT - Shoot

i cant decide. Getting rekt throwing gernades at myself going from layout to layout lmao.

For instance on BJumper im sprinting and just about to melee and hit Right Stick, it does nothing and i sprint past him only to get rekt.LOL..

i guess i really do need the Elite controller >=D ..Here is to hoping they have another trade in deal with the elite soon :p

I know i can map the buttons via the system settings, but that is on a system level and i dont want to move A to another location while navigating the dashboard and using other apps like netflix/youtube/etc..

Nutter

It must be nice to just convince yourself that anyone who disagrees with you does so only because they are terrible.

I like H5's multiplayer a lot, but the aiming has felt "off"(?) to me since the first time I played it. Been playing since Halo 1 with the same core group of friends and our win ratio together online is above average. I won't say which one is our favorite because it's irrelevant and will only incite flaming, but I will say it's neither Halo 1 nor Halo 5 so that alone invalidates your point.

I think I have said this many times already, but Halo 3 fans will have the hardest time adjusting.

E92 M3

It's a preset when you go in the sensitivity curve menu. It's the preset called smooth. I'm not currently at my Xbox one but its definitely in the menu.

I understand, but what does it mean from a technical perspective. I'd like to understand what it is doing.

I guess i'm one of the small number of people who really like the aiming on this game.

If i had to bet i'd say the vast majority of the public playing H5 has no issues with the aiming at all. I bet most have no idea there is a decreased acceleration of sorts on the diagonal.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
People who use to drop shots while in the air are gonna love it or hate it. I personally like the additions.

Lots of improvements made with weapon varieties and so forth.

It's personally the best to date when it comes to improvements. The reticle feels large at times. I'm so use to ironsights or scopes. Overall I'm pleased, I'm sure it's gonna be a pain for some who simply stick to just the improvements and get taken out by playing old school.

I'm glad I got use to the EXO suit, just because it gives you a better idea of how dashing works.

I stay ontop the map
I don't try to turn the reticle anymore, I turn the player (if they move then I have to move without the reticle)
ADS is almost necessary unless you know how to aim (AR especially)
Positioning movement helps with aiming and knowing when to move in or not.

Playing CoD AW helps too.

I notice that when I'm shooting someone who is running around me, I have to reposition the reticle. It's like I gotta re aim than in the past where it has been very streamline.

v0yce

Apology accepted. the original title was,

'Halo 5's aiming is broken - Confirmed By 343"

Now, I'm sorry, but that was shit, and served only to draw the worst out of the woodwork. I took a machete to some of the first responses because they were additional shit which immediately derailed what was already a fairly hostile discussion, so you may simply be unaware. For that reason I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, and I'm letting the backseat modding slide.

I edited the title myself the second time, to take some of the heat off the OP in this circumstance. And while I'm not going to hold the OP completely responsible for the replies which followed, but your title and initial post set the tone of the discussion - pushing people's buttons has its consequences.

And I'm not close to 343 on any kind of personal level. I'm playing through the game right now, and my coop partner (who has NOTHING invested in halo, Xbox, or all of that nonesense) constantly sits there praising the presentation, and how fun the game is. It definitely mirrors my sentiments, though I tend to praise it more on an artistic level.

Opinions are what they are, but if you can't seriously appreciate at the scope and quality of what you are playing, you have my pity. What I see is certainly fantastic, especially juxtaposed next to the quality of other "AAA" releases this year which have done less than live up to their promises.

Nothing in my post was "backseat modding." I was simply disputing your post. It (and this last one) seem as unnecessarily emotion as any other in this thread. The fact that it came from a mod was a bit worrisome.

You claim no one has raised the issue yet, but that's false. But even if they hadn't, so what? The game has been out for a few days. The cumulative hundreds of hours from the community doesn't mean much when the individuals have only played a handful. I would expect someone to put some time into the game and adjust settings before researching to see if something is really amiss.

I didn't mean to infer you were close to 343. Only that I know you have, at least to some extent, connection with the industry which is the only reason I can think of for the "all the challenges involved" stuff. Because I don't see how that's relevant at all or unique to 343. Quite frankly it would seem if any devs deserve some extra scrutiny they'd be one.

Also, I'm an artist myself. I'm perfectly capable of evaluating something's artistic merit on my own. I don't need or appreciate your pity or condescension. And I have no idea what opinions of other AAA games released this year have to do with it.

Nothing in my post was "backseat modding." I was simply disputing your post. It (and this last one) seem as unnecessarily emotion as any other in this thread. The fact that it came from a mod was a bit worrisome.

You claim no one has raised the issue yet, but that's false. But even if they hadn't, so what? The game has been out for a few days. The cumulative hundreds of hours from the community doesn't mean much when the individuals have only played a handful. I would expect someone to put some time into the game and adjust settings before researching to see if something is really amiss.

I didn't mean to infer you were close to 343. Only that I know you have, at least to some extent, connection with the industry which is the only reason I can think of for the "all the challenges involved" stuff. Because I don't see how that's relevant at all or unique to 343. Quite frankly it would seem if any devs deserve some extra scrutiny they'd be one.

Also, I'm an artist myself. I'm perfectly capable of evaluating something's artistic merit on my own. I don't need or appreciate your pity or condescension. And I have no idea what opinions of other AAA games released this year have to do with it.

He is a mod, he can still see that you edited out calling him a fanboy.

Caja 117

After playing some SP yesterday, I thought it was just my imagination that the aiming felt off. Guess not!

SP have a lot of aim assist, when you come from MP to SP, is almost impossible not to notice it, maybe this is whats affecting you.

SP have a lot of aim assist, when you come from MP to SP, is almost impossible not to notice it, maybe this is whats affecting you.

Interesting... having not started campaign i wasn't aware of this. Wonder if a lot of people who started in campaign and moved to MP are feeling this more than those of us who started with MP?

I feel like this is people just complaining to complain

I'm pretty sure most console FPS games, including halo, have more acceleration moving horizontally versus vertically. I know I've experienced it and a lot of games moving from PC to console and it's just the way things are. I think people are just starting to notice it now because everyone want to nit-pick halo 5 to the dirt. Lets see them do these tests in older halo games and other FPS games. I have a feeling the results will be similar.

Just so everyone knows, every single halo has changed its aiming system dramatically when it comes to acceleration in each individual axis, auto aim and the overall speed of everything and no one has ever complained... until Halo 5.

Mdot

I always learn about how bad a game is when I come on here. Little did I know, the game I've been enjoying the shit out of sucks and the aiming is screwy.

Seriously though, I have no issue with the aiming and this is the first I've heard of it. Seems like everyone I've played with feels the same way, so this is news to me.

Caja 117

Interesting... having not started campaign i wasn't aware of this. Wonder if a lot of people who started in campaign and moved to MP are feeling this more than those of us who started with MP?

I dont know if its because the lack (or really small) Auto Aim in the MP that makes it look greater than it really is, but there were time where enemies AI crossed my crosshair and that auto aim was just following the enemy I wasn't aiming at I dont like this but I also dont remember if it was like this in other Halos, that's another one for my test tonight.

I dont know if its because the lack (or really small) Auto Aim in the MP that makes it look greater than it really is, but there were time where enemies AI crossed my crosshair and that auto aim was just following the enemy I wasn't aiming at I dont like this but I also dont remember if it was like this in other Halos, that's another one for my test tonight.

OMG i hate when a cursor will auto track with heavy aim assistance. Destiny is the worst culprit of this in recent memory. Trying to snipe at 3 different enemy players at different depths in a hallway all close left to right... forgetaboutit! That sniper will just lock on to one of the three.. usually not the one you're aiming for. Or you'll fight it and pull to move to the next intended target but move too far b/c the damn crosshair creep is so strong. Ugh... think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts... Halo 5... no Destiny... Halo 5 lol.

TheOddOne

I noticed it today during a match.

animation1u2a1t.gif

animation25ca3l.gif

It's sluggish sometimes and then it's not. Weird.

I noticed it today during a match.

animation1u2a1t.gif

animation25ca3l.gif

It's sluggish sometimes and then it's not. Weird.

You're not doing much diagonal right stick movement as far as i can tell... looks like you're strafing (left to right aiming) by moving with your left stick and then looking up or down vertically with your right stick? Are you feeling something odd when doing that?

TheOddOne

You're not doing much diagonal right stick movement as far as i can tell... looks like you're strafing (left to right aiming) by moving with your right stick and then looking up or down vertically with your right. Are you feeling something odd when doing that?
Up and down felt very like it either stopped to fast or it jolted up. Very strange. Only match where I felt that.

Rest of the matches were fine though.

Up and down felt very like it either stopped to fast or it jolted up. Very strange. Only match where I felt that.

Rest of the matches were fine though.

Ah i got ya... wonder if it was one of those with lag? I've only had one match so far that had some weird teleportation style lag. I had some movement stuttering and slowing during that match thats for sure.

TheOddOne

Ah i got ya... wonder if it was one of those with lag? I've only had one match so far that had some weird teleportation style lag. I had some movement stuttering and slowing during that match thats for sure.
I've only had one match where that happened. It was not fun.

animation1qyqgg.gif

animation2qqpyc.gif

Game feels feels fine to me, every shooter is different. There's nothing I've noticed so far having beat the campaign and played MP every night.

I would like to play a shooter for at least a week before finding out on the internet why its the worst thing ever.

Head.spawn

I'm pretty sure most console FPS games, including halo, have more acceleration moving horizontally versus vertically. I know I've experienced it and a lot of games moving from PC to console and it's just the way things are. I think people are just starting to notice it now because everyone want to nit-pick halo 5 to the dirt. Lets see them do these tests in older halo games and other FPS games. I have a feeling the results will be similar.

Just so everyone knows, every single halo has changed its aiming system dramatically when it comes to acceleration in each individual axis, auto aim and the overall speed of everything and no one has ever complained... until Halo 5.

Lots of truth in this post, which makes people saying Halo 5 specifically is the oddman bastard is fucking hilarious. Tons of game have slower vertical than horizontal to allow you to turn around fast enough, but also to be able to aim upwards somewhat comfortably without over shooting it by having a wild speed.. A game with big vertical game clearly needs to control a bit different than those that are strictly ground game for the most part. Very few have them equal on console from my experience. Likewise, diagnals are always different; people just end up adjusting to the game after some play time. Which is why I always run through single player first to get the feel down.

Here's a quote from XIM's creator Obsiv about the aiming system. Hope it gets fixed.

"The Halo community (XIM and controller gamers alike) have been talking about Halo 5's surprise changes to how it aims. XIM's Smart Translator system gives us an insight into how every game developer designs their aiming systems. I can tell you after studying the data that 343 has done a great disservice to the Halo community.

343 changed Halo aim by splitting the stick into 2 separate regions: aim and turn. They also chose this point seeming arbitrarily as well before maximum stick deflection. Meaning, any player that accidentally goes beyond this point (such as during the heat of a fire fight) will find their reticle jump. The speed gap between "aim" and "turn" is very large. Instead of moving towards a good example of an aiming system (i.e. CoD and BF), they went completely the other way.

Something as fundamental as aim should be customizable. There is no single solution for everyone (certainly not what they changed here). It is our hope that 343 will realize this mistake and fix their game."

He goes on to mention a partial solution, a "ballistic curve" which is basically what the new elite controllers have.

_woLf

There's less aim assist and the general control is much tighter than it used to be -- it was that way in the beta, too. I'm really not a fan of it, but I have been managing.

Part of the problem is that the Xbox One controller sticks are super loose compared to the OG Xbox and 360, so that makes it even more noticeable.

I hope something is done about it. But I'm not getting my hopes up. I can't imagine it wasn't brought up during testing...seems like a design decision to me.

Here's a quote from XIM's creator Obsiv about the aiming system. Hope it gets fixed.

"The Halo community (XIM and controller gamers alike) have been talking about Halo 5's surprise changes to how it aims. XIM's Smart Translator system gives us an insight into how every game developer designs their aiming systems. I can tell you after studying the data that 343 has done a great disservice to the Halo community.

343 changed Halo aim by splitting the stick into 2 separate regions: aim and turn. They also chose this point seeming arbitrarily as well before maximum stick deflection. Meaning, any player that accidentally goes beyond this point (such as during the heat of a fire fight) will find their reticle jump. The speed gap between "aim" and "turn" is very large. Instead of moving towards a good example of an aiming system (i.e. CoD and BF), they went completely the other way.

Something as fundamental as aim should be customizable. There is no single solution for everyone (certainly not what they changed here). It is our hope that 343 will realize this mistake and fix their game."

He goes on to mention a partial solution, a "ballistic curve" which is basically what the new elite controllers have.

Ghostayame said:
Now, to be fair, we've played this game for two years, so we do have a lot more time spent getting comfortable with the movement, as well as the weaponry. Nevertheless, like any other Halo player, we all know how good our shots are when it comes to a Halo utility weapon, and that day, we felt it. Thus, after careful tweaking, constant iteration, and daily discussion, we landed on our favorite fit. It gave players the perfect blend of sensitivity across all three ranges. Yes, close-range might feel a little bit harder to control at first, but in the long run, you will all learn to adjust to it for the better. Shooting the magnum in this game is very particular, seemingly like how Killer N or StK Tupac shot their pistols in Halo 1. At first, it's going to be tough, but it will get much better with practice. Even to this day, shooting a Halo 1 pistol up-close is extremely challenging though, right? ;)

I think that's it right there. 343 didn't break anything, they simply balanced between close and long-range gameplay. The issue with controllers is always the moment when you need to turn around.

Customization is an obvious solution, however. Allow players to use the Halo 5 Beta aiming scheme, and the complaints can vanish.

MurfHey

Overall I like the shoot mechanics of the game. But the gameplay feels rushed, unbalanced and clunky. There is no give and take. The campaign was said to be between 8 and 12 hours... I finished it on Normal around the 5 hour mark, I know the diffculty settings (Legendary) will make the time much longer.

NO SPLIT SCREEN! i know they just said they are feeling the backlash on this.

down to 4v4 from 5v5 ? why?

WARZONE IS GREAAT! i will be playing warzone over normal multiplayer for sure!

that being said, i feel personally, that this game wont have what it takes to keep me coming back for more. Sure its Halo, but i think its changed over the times (which isnt necessarily a bad thing) and now HALO is just a name. I will enjoy it while it lasts but wont look back after im done with it, that is until i need a refresher for Halo 6 lol.

7/10 for me

I need more time withthe game to determine if something is off or not. 343 is taking the right approach right now. Dont instantly switch it, let it marinate for a bit and if it really is an issue, more will bitch about it and then fix it.

Its an intentional design so you have to give people time to settle in with the controls before overreacting.

Point is.... Theyre aware, theyre watching and listening and if it indeed is a huge issue, theyll fix it.

Mate, I don't even know what your trying to say here or with your earlier post? The first few pages in here were boalk inducing because of the title of the thread, it was only going to go one way. The vitriol going around 343 and Halo is a bit mental just now.

It's just a shame it took so long for a mod to address the problem. Fair play to the one who did though :)

Edit, didn't realise Modus had already replied to you.

Caja 117

I think that's it right there. 343 didn't break anything, they simply balanced between close and long-range gameplay. The issue with controllers is always the moment when you need to turn around.

Customization is an obvious solution, however. Allow players to use the Halo 5 Beta aiming scheme, and the complaints can vanish.

Something like Witcher did with the combat, have an option to switch to how it is now, to how it was before, not sure how that could affect balance in MP tough

Seriously, I would love that choice. At least give that choice.

Are you sure it's not the slow start preset? I didn't see anything called smooth. There's a fast start, a slow start, the default, and something else I can't remember right now.

daedalius

I've recently posted in the Halo thread about how much trouble I was having with Halo 5 multiplayer. Although I was a competitive player in all the other Halo games I have been struggling in Halo 5. A Redditor has done some research and found that aiming along the horizontal and vertical axis is quicker than aiming diagonally.

Here is the thread. - Credit to u/z0oinks
Here is an example of the issue

This basically breaks Halo 5 for competitive players. 343 have responded to the issue and advised they are looking into it.

I mean, this is just totally not factual at all.

The pro team, made up of some of the MOST competitive players, were the ones driving this implementation.

Overall I like the shoot mechanics of the game. But the gameplay feels rushed, unbalanced and clunky. There is no give and take. The campaign was said to be between 8 and 12 hours... I finished it on Normal around the 5 hour mark, I know the diffculty settings (Legendary) will make the time much longer.

NO SPLIT SCREEN! i know they just said they are feeling the backlash on this.

down to 4v4 from 5v5 ? why?

WARZONE IS GREAAT! i will be playing warzone over normal multiplayer for sure!

that being said, i feel personally, that this game wont have what it takes to keep me coming back for more. Sure its Halo, but i think its changed over the times (which isnt necessarily a bad thing) and now HALO is just a name. I will enjoy it while it lasts but wont look back after im done with it, that is until i need a refresher for Halo 6 lol.

7/10 for me
Ranked modes were always 4v4 not 5v5. MCC, halo reach, and halo 3 were all the same so there's no "down from" involved.

5v5 is already too many people for a ranked mode and these maps are too small for 10 players. BTB will be rolling out soon for a larger gameplay experience (wish it was at launch though).

8-12 hour campaign seems a bit exaggerated. Don't really know how 343i got those numbers. It took me 6 hours and 16 minutes to finish the campaign on Heroic with a 3 person fireteam and we were dying quite a bit too.

Man peoples feelings were hurt by the first 2 topic titles huh? Eggshell city. Current one is some politician level of semantic gymnastics.

Somethings broken with the aiming clearly. In the interests of "fairness", the Uncharted 3 topic titles ended up as "aiming issues/problems".

Or go full hog with next topic change to "How awesome is Halo 5's aiming? SO AWESOME!!"

Instead of calling it noob friendly, or for casual players, we must now say, "accessible to a wider audience."

outrage culture

Gnomist

Haven't been able to try this out yet but if there is a legitimate bug then through the magic of modern hardware they will be able to correct the issue and distribute a patch. Or maybe they could simply enable the option of using the beta control scheme if possible? I would totally love them to explore the option of using the gyro in the controller to assist with precision aiming that the dual sticks don't quite allow.

I'm actually now of the mind to just close these clickbait threads when they crop up, because they truly benefit no one. Perhaps the OP should post this in the game OT, as no one has yet raised this issue despite hundreds of hours of gameplay from our own community.

Otherwise, it has all the elements of looking for just another angle to shit on 343's fantastic work with this game. It is not perfect, but considering the challenges involved I think they deserve better consideration than being called 'fucking hacks'.

I'm sorry but at the time it appeared like it was a bug, there was a video demonstrating an easily repeatable method for displaying it and 343 said they would investigate. It came out later that another member of 343 viewed it as a design choice.

And to call the game and the work of 343 "fantastic" is entirely subjective. Some people don't like the game and to close a thread because people are disappointed and are stating it would be a shame.

GavinGT

Banned

This is my main problem with the aiming, as I tend to be moving the stick right around the point at which it toggles between "aim" and "turn" modes. Also, since they were dead-set on designing it this way, they really had no choice but to make that transition occur well before maximum stick deflection, because they had to account for differences in joystick tolerances. Not every joystick on every controller is going to register maximum stick deflection as the same value (literally the voltage values of the stick's potentiometers), and there will even be differences at different angles for the same joystick.

I mean, this is just totally not factual at all.

The pro team, made up of some of the MOST competitive players, were the ones driving this implementation.

Watching some of the MLG players on twitch they are definitely having problems with it and yell it all the time in game. The Pro team at 343 is a small set of the larger competitive community and to say that they all wanted this change is pretty disingenuous.

Haven't been able to try this out yet but if there is a legitimate bug then through the magic of modern hardware they will be able to correct the issue and distribute a patch. Or maybe they could simply enable the option of using the beta control scheme if possible? I would totally love them to explore the option of using the gyro in the controller to assist with precision aiming that the dual sticks don't quite allow.

Xbox one controller doesn't have a gyro or any motion sensors unfortunately. The original idea was that Kinect would detect the controller's position and orientation to allow motion control, but that obviously went out the window when Kinect was made optional and then essentially scrapped.

I like it a lot. Let's keep it. This is the best Halo has felt in a while. The mix is good, and let them focus on something else for future updates or games.

I even hesitant to say where they need to go from here. Dual wielding and jet packs aren't the direction to go, so hopefully they come up with some excellent ideas for modes. I haven't played Warzone yet, but that seems like the sort of direction they need to build.

Top Bottom