• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 aiming system: the good, the bad (or bugged with new controllers?)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If you're getting shot in the back, how can turn around speeds not be important

Oddly enough i cranked my sensitivity up because I thought I was turning fast enough.

However, it didn't seem to help me much. Turning the sensitivity down to 4 actually made my play better. In COD I play with nearly max sensitivity. It doesn't work very well for me in Halo. Having lower sensitivity makes it easier to aim quickly from head to body.

SwolBro

Banned
If you're getting shot in the back, how can turn around speeds not be important

never said it wasn't important, i said it wasn't as important as something else like COD because in halo if you aren't connecting head shots it doesn't matter how quickly your opponent turns around.

from my experience with halo since C.E and watching halo 5 streams of Ogre 2, and Snipedown it's far more important to be connecting head shots consistently rather than zipping your cross hairs in all directions very quickly.

the controls don't allow for both in Halo i guess. the more your sense increases the less control you have in hitting those shots consecutively, or at least that is what i have observed.

Because at high level play if you're getting shot in the back it's because either you or your teammates have failed at map control, and your only hope is to escape. You will not turn around and outshoot them at that caliber of play.

Yes, and this.

Because at high level play if you're getting shot in the back it's because either you or your teammates have failed at map control, and your only hope is to escape. You will not turn around and outshoot them at that caliber of play.

This dude gets this shit as well! Love playing with other Halo vets who know their stuff. Sign me up for an Arena match later at some point buddy! ;)

GT: gun fer hire

BokehKing

Banned
I'm in gold rank and have zero intention of ever being at 'that caliber of play'

Just seems like catering to the hard core pros again

For years you hear people dog COD for not giving you a fighting chance , but now apparently it's my teams fault for getting shot in the back

never said it wasn't important, i said it wasn't as important as something else like COD because in halo if you aren't connecting head shots it doesn't matter how quickly your opponent turns around.

from my experience with halo since C.E and watching halo 5 streams of Ogre 2, and Snipedown it's far more important to be connecting head shots consistently rather than zipping your cross hairs in all directions very quickly.

the controls don't allow for both in Halo i guess. the more your sense increases the less control you have in hitting those shots consecutively, or at least that is what i have observed.

See... this right here is why i believe they have this "decreased diagonal" movement acceleration curve... it likely allows for faster left-right, up-down movement via left stick (horizontal) right stick (vertical) movement as most halo vets play... then decreases clench pull and choke sway during chaining. Gotta admit makes a little sense... right? lol

SwolBro

Banned
I'm in gold rank and have zero intention of ever being at 'that caliber of play'

As it should be when it comes to controls. average players, or "casuals" really won't know the difference unless something is told to them, and told to them as if its' why their not doing great. a big fuss is made about it, and now we get shit posts everywhere.

hopefully, 343i answers this quickly and does actual explaining while providing options for people that don't like the way it is now.

I can't understand how can this pass through testing ? No one saw the aiming on diagonal axis was slower than single axis ?

I realized something was up in a preview stream. I was like "why is my turning so slow when aiming downwards?" as I was shooting at a dude I jumped over. I quickly died thereafter.

i don't know if this will help you but from most of the really good Halo players, former "pros" i've asked recently they mainly have sensitivity at 4 for Halo 5.

halo isn't that twitchy, turn around speeds and look speeds aren't as important.

Yeah i had it at 4 during the beta and felt perfect. Maybe i need a control freek on the right stick. Or i need more time again lol. Thanks for the input!

Nah.. that's why they spent so much time/effort on Warzone as well. That's the casual play area... arena is more for "that caliber of play". If anything they could give Warzone the option for a different analog control scheme... but keep Arena as is. Or change everything.... or leave it all. Arena should be as consistent across all players as possible.

SwolBro

Banned
See... this right here is why i believe they have this "decreased diagonal" movement acceleration curve... it likely allows for faster left-right, up-down movement via left stick (horizontal) right stick (vertical) movement as most halo vets play... then decreases clench pull and choke sway during chaining. Gotta admit makes a little sense... right? lol

i really don't know. that type of game design is above my level of understanding for the most part. i don't know why the choices they make are made.

but if anything it definitely isn't to give some advantage to better or "pro" players, i'd think. the more control you give to good players the wider the skill gap and from my experience with Halo they've always tried to close skill gaps and not increase them.

Maybe this time they did the opposite? We'll wait to see 343i's explanation.

i really don't know. that type of game design is above my level of understanding for the most part. i don't know why the choices they make are made.

but if anything it definitely isn't to give some advantage to better or "pro" players, i'd think. the more control you give to good players the wider the skill gap and from my experience with Halo they've always tried to close skill gaps and not increase them.

Maybe this time they did the opposite? We'll wait to see 343i's explanation.

Hmm... maybe i'm alone here but i disagree and think quite the opposite of your bolded section here. Halo's always been about skilled players and very high skill ceilings which spread the skill gap far and wide among the different playlists and ranked matches etc. Just my opinion though.

BokehKing

Banned
Nah.. that's why they spent so much time/effort on Warzone as well. That's the casual play area... arena is more for "that caliber of play". If anything they could give Warzone the option for a different analog control scheme... but keep Arena as is. Or change everything.... or leave it all. Arena should be as consistent across all players as possible.
That's bullshit though, I find nothing fun about vehicle filled warzone

Maybe add a social playlist, unranked where these pro controls are turned off

v0yce

I'm actually now of the mind to just close these clickbait threads when they crop up, because they truly benefit no one. Perhaps the OP should post this in the game OT, as no one has yet raised this issue despite hundreds of hours of gameplay from our own community.

Otherwise, it has all the elements of looking for just another angle to shit on 343's fantastic work with this game. It is not perfect, but considering the challenges involved I think they deserve better consideration than being called 'fucking hacks'.

This is kind of gross coming from a mod. The OP isn't the same poster that called the devs hacks. Painting the OP with that is garbage.

The "considering the challenges involved" theme feels really anti consumer/community. Who cares what challenges they had. Every job/person on the planet faces challenges. If a consumer is unhappy with a product, they should be able to express that regardless of what challenges were involved in it's production. The end product is all that matters.

I'm playing through the game right now and I don't see the "fantastic work" you describe. But I'm not as close to developers as you are. I'm just a consumer looking at the thing I paid $60 for.

I didn't see the original title, so if it was really egregious then I apologize.

edit: Also, a quick search of the OT from launch day

And what is up with the sensitivity? Is it some awful aim assist implementation that stops my aim rock solid?

SwolBro

Banned
Hmm... maybe i'm alone here but i disagree and think quite the opposite of your bolded section here. Halo's always been about skilled players and very high skill ceilings which spread the skill gap far and wide among the different playlists and ranked matches etc. Just my opinion though.

Compared to what though? COD? Because Halo C.E > Halo 2 > Halo 3 > Reach (and i'll be honest i didn't even fucking bother with 4 after a week so i don't even know) all in terms of skill gaps and ceilings

This is kind of gross coming from a mod. The OP isn't the same poster that called the devs hacks. Painting the OP with that is garbage.

The "considering the challenges involved" theme feels really anti consumer/community. Who cares what challenges they had. Every job/person on the planet faces challenges. If a consumer is unhappy with a product, they should be able to express that regardless of what challenges were involved in it's production. The end product is all that matters.

I'm playing through the game right now and I don't see the "fantastic work" you describe. But I'm not as close to developers as you are. I'm just a consumer looking at the thing I paid $60 for.

I didn't see the original title, so if it was really egregious then I apologize.

It basically said "Halo 5 aiming is broken, 343i confirmed"

Ocho

I find the shooting fantastic and don't really mind this issue (that I didn't know it even existed). If the Pro Team felt it was the perfect compromise, and most pros agree the game is pretty good, why are we discussing this?

Most of the replies on the reddit thread are of people getting wrecked and blaming the diagonal aim speed, LOL.

SwolBro

Banned

You serious with this post?
It's a video game not a fucking vacuum cleaner. It's about the "experience" you have playing the game, not the way you want it to play.

I'd never want you next to me in a movie theater that's for sure.

Herbs

Banned

the title was definitely click baity and needed changing as it said 343 new it was a bug when in fact it was designed specifically that way. I do agree that it's disheartening to see a statement like that as 343 is rightfully heavily scrutinzed as they engaged in deceitful tactics with MCC. That game sucked and still sucks and money was stolen from consumers because of it. Still, Halo 5 so far is pretty great for me so they've earned a bit of that goodwill back.

That's bullshit though, I find nothing fun about vehicle filled warzone

Maybe add a social playlist, unranked where these pro controls are turned off

I agree man i do... i dont like warzone at all so i can relate a little. A mercenary playlist could be cool like in CoD where it wont allow parties.... or an unranked social playlist that allows more user customization or something?

Compared to what though? COD? Because Halo C.E > Halo 2 > Halo 3 > Reach (and i'll be honest i didn't even fucking bother with 4 after a week so i don't even know) all in terms of skill gaps and ceilings

Halo 5 is in my opinion is at the very top of Halo games in terms of skill ceiling... by a large amount. They balanced all weapons... added new movement... increased map "routes" and map control sections/points... the've completely toned down the aim assist and made even the pistol viable again... more deadly than CE even?

I find the shooting fantastic and don't really mind this issue (that I didn't know it even existed). If the Pro Team felt it was the perfect compromise, and most pros agree the game is pretty good, why are we discussing this?

Most of the replies on the reddit thread are of people getting wrecked and blaming the diagonal aim speed, LOL.

We can stop now and lock this discussion we've found the culprit lol

BokehKing

Banned
I agree man i do... i dont like warzone at all so i can relate a little. A mercenary playlist could be cool like in CoD where it wont allow parties.... or an unranked social playlist that allows more user customization or something?

Halo 5 is in my opinion is at the very top of Halo games in terms of skill ceiling... by a large amount. They balanced all weapons... added new movement... increased map "routes" and map control sections/points... the've completely toned down the aim assist and made even the pistol viable again... more deadly than CE even?
I would say so, I use that more than any other weapon in the game

v0yce

You serious with this post?
It's a video game not a fucking vacuum cleaner. It's about the "experience" you have playing the game, not the way you want it to play.

I'd never want you next to me in a movie theater that's for sure.

Yes I'm serious.

The way you play is a major part of the experience. I have no idea what you are trying to say there.

I'm totally quiet and attentive in moves. And I would never try to keep in mind the production issues involved when watching the film. I have no idea what you are trying to say there.

Having played every Halo thoroughly, I can honestly say Halo 5 has the best aim control. Got an Onyx rank in SWAT because it feels so damn fluid and responsive. I don't think anything should be changed.

SwolBro

Banned
Yes I'm serious.

The way you play is a major part of the experience. I have no idea what you are trying to say there.

I'm totally quiet and attentive in moves. I have no idea what you are trying to say there.
This
[/I]

You may not think the game isn't that amazing to you, that's fine but to say they didn't at least try to put out a quality product is fucking bullshit and your just shit posting.

Eh, it's not as strong as the CE pistol which was a 3 shot kill, and is coming to 5 as a Legendary weapon.

True... CE's was more damaging but i feel that the ROF, range, (maybe even the new sound and head shot sound) just makes it feel truly special imo. An overall perfectly balanced combination. Like just about everything in Halo 5.

BokehKing

Banned
This

You may not think the game isn't that amazing to you, that's fine but to say they didn't at least try to put out a quality product is fucking bullshit and your just shit posting.
There is quite the difference between quality product and the hyperbolic "fantastic"

Caja 117

Not even close, it did required more skill to pull a clean 3 shot kill, Magnun had full auto option, s very minimal bloom, and you had to lead your shots, once you became good at getting the 3sk is was deadly, it made the Time to kill so low that the term team shot wasn't a real thing up until Halo 2.

Trup1aya

lol whatever dude, get rekt

And seriously iron sights have been in Halo always? I thought that was just added with 5 or maybe 4?

What you call 'Iron sights' or ADS in this game, is just standard halo zoom with a fancy overlay... The functionality is the same. If you get shot, you get de-scoped... It's been that way since 2001, it went away with Halo4, now it's back again.

If you haven't noticed this since halo1, then it's very easy to understand why you have always been bad at the game.

v0yce

This

I never said they didn't try to put out a quality product. I'm sure practically every developer ever has tried to put out a quality product. I don't know what that has to do with anything.

Not even close, it did required more skill to pull a clean 3 shot kill, Magnun had full auto option, s very minimal bloom, and was you had to lead your shots, once you became good at getting the 3sk is was deadly, it made the Time to kill so low that the term team shot wasn't a real thing up until Halo 2.

No you're right. Esp about team shot/killed and H2. lol. Maybe it's been so long (gave up on MCC) but i swear the H5 pistol feels like its just as low-bloom (if not lower) and lead-necessary as CEs? One thing that does stand is i believe it's much harder to get perfects with the H5 pistol than 3 shots with CEs. That just comes down to new player movement speed and abilities coupled with the 2 extra shots necessary.

In my experience (halo and destiny) if you're aiming diagonally you're already in big trouble. That means you have been caught out by an enemy's position and don't have your gun at head level. Maybe this is a bigger issue for snipers who do diagonal sweep shots? I suck with the Sniper Rifle in this game but that's nothing new for me :)

FWIW I got Onyx in SWAT and Diamond in slayer/arena without being affected by this "issue", and I was playing 100+ hours of destiny crucible over the last months and didn't experience any problems switching to Halo 5 aiming (and Destiny has great gunplay/aiming).

Caja 117

No you're right. Esp about team shot/killed and H2. lol. Maybe it's been so long (gave up on MCC) but i swear the H5 pistol feels like its just as low-bloom (if not lower) and lead-necessary as CEs? One thing that does stand is i believe it's much harder to get perfects with the H5 pistol than 3 shots with CEs. That just comes down to new player movement speed and abilities coupled with the 2 extra shots necessary.

I think every pistol in Halo 5 is hitscan.

I now what you are saying, but the fact you need to make extra trigger pulls, makes it slower and hence longer TTK, and this gun will pretty much gets overpowered against someone with a BR and something I could be mistaken, but I think the gun doesnt have bloom but it does have some recoil, Maybe not, I haven't payed to much attention to it, as Im already used to the gun so everything on it have become natural to me.

I think every pistol in Halo 5 is hitscan.

I now what you are saying, but the fact you need to make extra trigger pulls, makes it slower and hence longer TTK, and this gun will pretty much gets overpowered against someone with a BR and something I could be mistaken, but I think the gun doesnt have bloom but it does have some recoil, Maybe not, I haven't payed to much attention to it, as Im already used to the gun so everything on it have become natural to me.

Pistol vs BR is a very tricky topic in H5. I believe (and correct me if i'm wrong here pros) the pistol has a quicker TTK but the BR can dodge/boost in between shots giving a movement advantage from what i've heard... while the pistol cannot or it interferes with it's much quicker ROF.

The fact that we can even discuss this in H5 is a great victory on behalf of 343i to be honest! lol

Unit24

Good to see I'm not the only one who's having trouble aiming. The sensitivity feels weird compared to the other games and it makes it difficult to hit things from a distance.

Since I have an elite controller I started messing around with the analog thumb stick settings and with the sensitivity adjustments. THANK GOD FOR THE SMOOTH PRESET. While it's still a little off it has completely helped me out. I still hope they fix the shit show aiming for everyone without a controller. Thank you based elite controller.

Blueblur1

Do you guys not think that was maybe intended as Halo has always been a game about left stick strafe aiming? I'm honestly asking a question not trying to be an ass :) just the theory i've come to recently.

I do strafe. And I don't appreciate you insinuating that I play in a particular manner that would be the reason for my frustration. You are being rude.

Spasm

Since I have an elite controller I started messing around with the analog thumb stick settings and with the sensitivity adjustments. THANK GOD FOR THE SMOOTH PRESET. While it's still a little off it has completely helped me out. I still hope they fix the shit show aiming for everyone without a controller. Thank you based elite controller.

Can you hop over to the Elite controller thread and share settings? I would love to collaborate, but no need to bog down this thread.

Ocho

FWIW I got Onyx in SWAT and Diamond in slayer/arena without being affected by this "issue", and I was playing 100+ hours of destiny crucible over the last months and didn't experience any problems switching to Halo 5 aiming (and Destiny has great gunplay/aiming).

I'm exactly in the same camp (same ranks and everything). No issue coming from Destiny to Halo. I think I even got better with the sniper.

E92 M3

Yeah, can you please go into the elite thread and elaborate on the sensitivity settings a bit? It's still rather obtuse to me.

Caja 117

Pistol vs BR is a very tricky topic in H5. I believe (and correct me if i'm wrong here pros) the pistol has a quicker TTK but the BR can dodge/boost in between shots giving a movement advantage from what i've heard... while the pistol cannot or it interferes with it's much quicker ROF.

The fact that we can even discuss this in H5 is a great victory on behalf of 343i to be honest! lol
is the range, one of the things I think 343 did very good was the effective range of the 3 main headshot weapon, BR looks to be most usueful of the 3 Because BR is a burst weapon, so, getting that head shot on a unshielded opponent is easier than a single shot weapon.

I might prove this myself tonight and come back tomorow, because I feel that the pistol have a recoil that give a disadvantage against the BR.

Regarding the topic, if this is an issue that is not intended, then 343 need to fix it, but IMO, the aim slowdown have no real impact on a performance level in the game, in other words, fixing this will not Improve your game dramatically, I have a couple of friends that are about to reach Champion as they play at the highest possible level when it comes to Halo, and they havent notice this, and when you play at this level is when you start noticing every little detail that can affect your aim.

Schooly D

The aiming sensitivity seems to be intentional. Doesn't it seem more likely that this is part of 343's plan to raise the skill ceiling higher than previous Halo games?

is the range, one of the things I think 343 did very good was the effective range of the 3 main headshot weapon, BR looks to be most usueful of the 3 Because BR is a burst weapon, so, getting that head shot on a unshielded opponent is easier than a single shot weapon.

I might prove this myself tonight and come back tomorow, because I feel that the pistol have a recoil that give a disadvantage against the BR.

Regarding the topic, if this is an issue that is not intended, then 343 need to fix it, but IMO, the aim slowdown have no real impact on a performance level in the game, in other words, fixing this will not Improve your game dramatically, I have a couple of friends that are about to reach Champion as they play at the highest possible level when it comes to Halo, and they havent notice this, and when you play at this level is when you start noticing every little detail that can affect your aim.

Please post back if you do run a little experiment! Would be super interested to see what you find!

SwolBro

Banned
There is quite the difference between quality product and the hyperbolic "fantastic"

I know, any type of hype is extremely looked down upon by gamers. It's a very strange phenomenon. But still he wasn't and i haven't seen anyone else call this GOAT or something like that.

Tawpgun

The aiming sensitivity seems to be intentional. Doesn't it seem more likely that this is part of 343's plan to raise the skill ceiling higher than previous Halo games?
Yep especially with pro teams influence.

Love the nerfed radar, low magnetism/auto aim and all that stuff

Top Bottom