• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians - Leaked Warzone Menu

GamerSoul

C'mon GAF..you use to be cool. :p

I am never any good at these games. Halo 2 is the only single player campaign I beat. But I will be likely buying this the first week. I'm a sucker for Halo multiplayer shenanigans.

Oh and I hope they get the Recon helmet right this time. Some of Halo 4's helmet designs felt too busy, imo.

Nipo

You're missing the point; I meant to illustrate the importance of even a little thing like this leaking. MS obviously does care, and there will be consequences for the parties involved - consequences that will not necessarily be focused squarely on the people responsible.

Gaming testing doesn't pay a living wage, no, not unless you log dozens of sessions a week, but they may be valuable incomes to people for who every little bit can help. And if it isn't, you don't think it's a dick move to jeopardise other people's jobs for a little e-fame? We're not talking about outing a scandalous anti-consumer policy, we're talking about some dick that couldn't keep a simple promise he was being paid to keep and in the act of breaking it might ruin something other people enjoyed doing and/or depended on for income.

I'd say you're missing the point (although i think we both understand what the other person is saying and just have different opinions on it). Game testing doesn't pay a living wage because it isn't valued enough. Microsoft hires these companies and they farm out the work at as low a cost as possible so they can make a profit.

Either way, if the leaker violated their NDA microsoft or the company should be the ones calling them out and following up. It isn't the internet at large's job to call them out and shame them for it.

Kibbles

Just a Warzone beta? No longer bothered about not getting an invite to this.

The Gamertag of the leaker is Dutchy XxX when you stop at the right time. Just to let the right people know.

Well, the username is right there on the vidme page to the right of the video.

Stop defending people that break NDA, it hurts more than the individual
Yep. And there's no need to defend people who can't hold to their word and are willing to break it over something as trivial as a game menu.

But that said, +1 to having some actual audio options. The requisition menu makes me sad, but the free multiplayer maps to come cheers me back up.

Frog-fu

Banned
You're right. What was I thinking? Who knows how many people this deviant has harmed by showing a video game menu on the internet.

Potentially the company that individual employed, the leaker's colleagues who may lose out on work because they couldn't follow the rules; whoever contracted the company in the first place; whoever signed off on that, and possibly even more.

Corporate scapegoating and collective punishment suck but that's the reality of it when holes needed to be plunged. Heads role and not all of them deserve to.

Nipo

Potentially the company that individual employed, the leaker's colleagues who may lose out on work because they couldn't follow the rules; whoever contracted the company in the first place; whoever signed off on that, and possibly even more.

Corporate scapegoating and collective punishment suck but that's the reality of it when holes needed to be plunged. Heads role and not all of them deserve to.

So are you saying microsoft is just going to stop beta testing because of leaks? If the work really needs to be done, someone will be paid to do it.

Releasing an unfinished buggy game costs them far more than leaks from violated NDAs or paying a lot of professional game testers. Companies take into account the benefit of saving money vs the risk of NDA leaks when they sign these agreements.

bananas

Banned

You make it sound like I'm defending the leaker. I am not. I'm sure there are consequences, and Microsoft and whatever other company involved will have to deal with them.

But at the same time, people going out of their way to rat this guy out, is pretty fucking pathetic. I'm sure Microsoft could have figured out who leaked this without Taker34's help. It just make him look like a corporate lapdog for a corporation he doesn't even work for.

There's a reason people don't like teacher's pets.

Frog-fu

Banned
I'd say you're missing the point (although i think we both understand what the other person is saying and just have different opinions on it). Game testing doesn't pay a living wage because it isn't valued enough. Microsoft hires these companies and they farm out the work at as low a cost as possible so they can make a profit.

Either way, if the leaker violated their NDA microsoft or the company should be the ones calling them out and following up. It isn't the internet at large's job to call them out and shame them for it.

So are you saying microsoft is just going to stop beta testing because of leaks? If the work really needs to be done, someone will be paid to do it.

Releasing an unfinished buggy game costs them far more than leaks from violated NDAs or paying a lot of professional game testers. Companies take into account the benefit of saving money vs the risk of NDA leaks when they sign these agreements.

You make it sound like I'm defending the leaker. I am not. I'm sure there are consequences, and Microsoft and whatever other company involved will have to deal with them.

But at the same time, people going out of their way to rat this guy out, is pretty fucking pathetic. I'm sure Microsoft could have figured out who leaked this without Taker34's help. It just make him look like a corporate lapdog for a corporation he doesn't even work for.

There's a reason people don't like teacher's pets.

You are both fixating on Microsoft. Microsoft isn't who I'm concerned with. I mean, yeah, I do care about the devs and I think it sucks when a surprise they've been slaving away on for months is ruined by leaks - but they're not the ones getting hurt here per se, at least not significantly.

The people that are hurt by this that I care for are the people that did nothing wrong but will be punished anyway. Microsoft won't stop using beta testing, but they will drop companies, they will instruct companies to plug holes ASAP, and so on and so forth. The consequences will always follow and people who did nothing wrong, who enjoyed their work, who relied on the money - they're the ones that will be at risk. Also, again, these testing companies are small; too many leaks, they get dropped, then they gotta downsize and someone is going to have to find a new job.

It's been said again and again because it's true: these leaks never hurt just one individual. Can't fault anyone for pointing out leakers gametags to help sort out the mess.

darthbob

Anyone else think the menu looks terrible?

This can't possibly be the UI that they're shipping, must be an internal build.

Anyone else think the menu looks terrible?

This can't possibly be the UI that they're shipping, must be an internal build.

The menu definitely isn't final. It is probably just used for testing purposes. But yeah, I agree with others, if you sign an NDA then you respect it. I never understood why someone has to leak things for their 15 minutes of fame. They risk not only having themselves be banned from Xbox Live but also risk the other people who were legitimately testing the game.

Lemon King

Neo Member
I think even if Taker34 didn't point out the users gamertag, somebody else would have. Especially internally at MS.

People at the studio will be looking all over the video and profiles of the person that uploaded it for any information to link them to their testing account.

bananas

Banned
You are both fixating on Microsoft. Microsoft isn't who I'm concerned with. I mean, yeah, I do care about the devs and I think it sucks when a surprise they've been slaving away on for months is ruined by leaks - but they're not the ones getting hurt here per se, at least not significantly.

The people that are hurt by this that I care for are the people that did nothing wrong but will be punished anyway. Microsoft won't stop using beta testing, but they will drop companies, they will instruct companies to plug holes ASAP, and so on and so forth. The consequences will always follow and people who did nothing wrong, who enjoyed their work, who relied on the money - they're the ones that will be at risk. Also, again, these testing companies are small; too many leaks, they get dropped, then they gotta downsize and someone is going to have to find a new job.

It's been said again and again because it's true: these leaks never hurt just one individual. Can't fault anyone for pointing out leakers gametags to help sort out the mess.

I think you misunderstand me. It's not that I don't agree with you, or that people should break NDAs. This guy signed it and breaking it puts other people at risk. He is an asshole.

My point is that Taker34 and the others jumping over themselves to rat this guy out are massive tools.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Are people honestly defending someone that willingly broke a NDA?

You guys are right... it is just a menu.

That guy just got himself banned(from testing and all future testing) for leaking a stupid menu and it's his fault.

NDAs are zero tolerance.

Nipo

That guy just got himself banned(from testing and all future testing) for leaking a stupid menu and it's his fault.

NDAs are zero tolerance.

Most people arent defending him for leaking they're saying it isn't other people's job to call people out and try and get people in trouble for it. There is a big difference. I don't defend people who break traffic laws and speed I also don't write down their license plate and forward it to the local police station.

M52B28

Banned
Most people arent defending him for leaking they're saying it isn't other people's job to call people out and try and get people in trouble for it. There is a big difference. I don't defend people who break traffic laws and speed I also don't write down their license plate and forward it to the local police station.
Basically this.

Well said. 10/10 would read again.

Noobcraft

Would you write down their license plate number if they were breaking other laws? Like a hit and run accident? Reckless driving?

You're marginalizing an NDA breach because "it's just the title screen". An NDA was breached either way.

"At least he only hit a Honda civic, if it was an Audi R8 I'd have to call it in."

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Would you write down their license plate number if they were breaking other laws? Like a hit and run accident? Reckless driving?

You're marginalizing an NDA breach because "it's just the title screen". An NDA was breached either way.

And you're breaking a law if you jaywalk, too. Would you report a person for jaywalking because it's breaking the law? A law was broken either way.

Einchy

Your example is a false equivalence.

In what way?

You're saying it doesn't matter how small the breach in the NDA is, it's still a breach. The person you quoted was talking about traffic laws and how people wouldn't report a person for breaking a tiny law and you brought up a hit and run and asked if they would report that.

Your posts are saying that breaking the law is breaking the law no matter how insignificant the offense was.

"So who leaked the game?"
"....."
"Guess we'll have to brick all the participants' consoles just like we did to the guy who leaked gears of war ue"

NDAs are zero tolerance.

I'm not going to defend them but i will say that being a tattle tell in this case is some pathetic shit.

spannicus

Dat fool gone fuck up my money! Aint nobody gonna mess wit my money and get away wit it! Where that menu leaker at, im gone bust his head wide open!

Noobcraft

In what way?
You're comparing breaking an NDA (a written contract) to jaywalking. It shouldn't matter how the contract was broken, the person that broke it is subject to the terms of the contract. I'm not saying it's black and white, but Non disclosure agreements are serious.

i can only hope the neogaf mods outright ban discussion of this heinous and illegal material that was so savagely stolen from microsoft, literally stealing food from their employees and their family's mouths. i'm honestly disgusted that we are allowed to even talk about, let alone look at illegally acquired pictures, of material on an upcoming video game.

the comparisons to reporting someone driving recklessly are spot on. in fact i would say it's more like watching someone physically assault another human being and then not reporting it. the law is there for a reason and looking at this material only hurts the pre-release attention this game is getting. it has zero beneficial properties as far as advertising or getting people excited for it. how many people will be fired over this menu alone?

to the people who reported the user already, please come back and post the signed halo 5 copy 343 gives you for being an upstanding and legal-mindful member of the video game community. i applaud you

Einchy

You're comparing breaking an NDA (a written contract) to jaywalking. It shouldn't matter how the contract was broken, the person that broke it is subject to the terms of the contract. I'm not saying it's black and white, but Non disclosure agreements are serious.

And why is it serious to us?

That's the point, I'm sure the people who write these things up think they're the most important things in the world but they're not to someone who didn't sign them or has anything to do with them. So snitching on the guy, when breaking an NDA is none of your business, is really pathetic. Trying to get a person in serious trouble over something so small is super shitty.

wwm0nkey

That's the point, I'm sure the people who write these things up think they're the most important things in the world but they're not to someone who didn't sign them or has anything to do with them. So snitching on the guy, when breaking an NDA is none of your business, is really pathetic. Trying to get a person in serious trouble over something so small is super shitty.

except people are getting paid by VMC/MS to do this QA, the more leaks the less likely MS or other companies will put these games up, so its potentially fucking with peoples money and QA quality of a game. NDAs might be tiny pieces of paper, but they are really fucking important pieces of paper.

Saw 6 pages for this thread...

Started to read replies....

The title should be changed to someone shown menu of halo warzone; everyone talks about nda.

Damn man.

notworksafe

He deserves the death penalty. If he'd leak a menu he's clearly already doing much more heinous crimes. Hopefully when Microsoft calls the police on him those fine officers will find the rest of his dirty deeds.

To he fair, I've literally only seen the one leak of the menus, and a few uploads (probably of the same content anyway) of the audio.

I remember the other test leak (Unity) and there were things EVERYWHERE! Gears Ultimate wass less so, and this seems to be 1/2 people. Almost air tight, can't wait for whatever is next.

Thank you VMC, you guys are fantastic.
(I am not thanking them sarcastically for making leaka possible, I am a tester with them already. I've seen it all!)

Einchy

except people are getting paid by VMC/MS to do this QA, the more leaks the less likely MS or other companies will put these games up, so its potentially fucking with peoples money and QA quality of a game. NDAs might be tiny pieces of paper, but they are really fucking important pieces of paper.

They aren't going to stop doing QA because someone showed a menu that didn't reveal anything besides that there are now sound options. If you asked Frankie on here if that was a thing, he would've probably told you since it doesn't ruin any future reveals.

Again, I understand how serious NDAs are for MS and the people who make them but they aren't to everyone posting in this thread.

People get put under NDAs for the dumbest things, sometimes reviewers aren't allowed to say if they liked a movie or not because of NDAs. If one of them were to say, "I liked it" it would break their NDA, do you think that would warrant someone reporting him?

Saw 6 pages for this thread...

Started to read replies....

The title should be changed to someone shown menu of halo warzone; everyone talks about nda.

Damn man.

Shows you how little people really care that a menu was leaked. I'm excited as hell for Halo 5, will be getting is day one and even I was like, "oh neat" then I closed the tab after 3 seconds.

Frog-fu

Banned
I think you misunderstand me. It's not that I don't agree with you, or that people should break NDAs. This guy signed it and breaking it puts other people at risk. He is an asshole.

My point is that Taker34 and the others jumping over themselves to rat this guy out are massive tools.

I don't think Taker is wrong for pointing out the leaker's name. There are a lot of testers on GAF and I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of then, and even he isn't, there's nothing wrong with naming people if they've done something wrong and that something has an adverse effect on others.

And you're breaking a law if you jaywalk, too. Would you report a person for jaywalking because it's breaking the law? A law was broken either way.

Jaywalking doesn't hurt other people if you're doing it right. Flagrantly breaking NDAs does.

Actually, did you know that when you sign a NDA they can have clauses that state that you should report someone that you know breaks an NDA? So if you are a tester and the NDA you signed says that you are fully within your rights to report someone for breaking NDA. Really, it's part of why they are paying you as well as doing the actual QA.

Also keep in mind that people breaking NDA could impact MS or other companies wanting their games tested out-of-house in the future which means less QA (and perhaps worse launch quality of the game) and some people that do it to get paid lose out on potential money.

Please, though, continue to be ignorant and close-minded and not think about potential issues to things like this.

NDAs are really a BIG deal.

i can only hope the neogaf mods outright ban discussion of this heinous and illegal material that was so savagely stolen from microsoft, literally stealing food from their employees and their family's mouths. i'm honestly disgusted that we are allowed to even talk about, let alone look at illegally acquired pictures, of material on an upcoming video game.

the comparisons to reporting someone driving recklessly are spot on. in fact i would say it's more like watching someone physically assault another human being and then not reporting it. the law is there for a reason and looking at this material only hurts the pre-release attention this game is getting. it has zero beneficial properties as far as advertising or getting people excited for it. how many people will be fired over this menu alone?

to the people who reported the user already, please come back and post the signed halo 5 copy 343 gives you for being an upstanding and legal-mindful member of the video game community. i applaud you

I hope you plan to replace my sarcasm meter that you just broke.

I hope you're being sarcastic, anyway.

EDIT:
Actually, did you know that when you sign a NDA they can have clauses that state that you should report someone that you know breaks an NDA? So if you are a tester and the NDA you signed says that you are fully within your rights to report someone for breaking NDA. Really, it's part of why they are paying you as well as doing the actual QA.

Then he should have just reported him rather than publicly crucifying him. There was zero reason he couldn't have just contacted MS/whoever he works for directly rather than trying to act like a hero of justice in public.

It's only a menu and it's also against the law to jaywalk.

Nipo

"At least he only hit a Honda civic, if it was an Audi R8 I'd have to call it in."

Breaking NDA is a contract dispute between the two signatories. Hit and run is a criminal action that could kill the pedestrian so yes I'd report that. I'd also report murder, rape, and assault if i see it.

Civil matters between two private parties? Not my responsibly to help them enforce their contract.

wwm0nkey

They aren't going to stop doing QA because someone showed a menu that didn't reveal anything besides that there are now sound options. If you asked Frankie on here if that was a thing, he would've probably told you since it doesn't ruin any future reveals.

Again, I understand how serious NDAs are for MS and the people who make them but they aren't to everyone posting in this thread.

People get put under NDAs for the dumbest things, sometimes reviewers aren't allowed to say if they liked a movie or not because of NDAs. If one of them were to say, "I liked it" it would break their NDA, do you think that would warrant someone reporting him?

Well the problem is with this, its adding onto leaks that already happened with GoW. Is this that big? No. But if stuff keeps on leaking I could see the appeal to move to a closed off internal system.

Then he should have just reported him rather than publicly crucifying him. There was zero reason he couldn't have just contacted MS/whoever he works for directly rather than trying to act like a hero of justice in public.

It's funny you are trying to misdirect the point of my post.

People here are acting like breaking a NDA is no big deal. That's the discussion. Nothing else.

That guy is an asshole for publicly outing the leaker, I agree 100%. That's not what we are talking about.

Breaking NDA is a awful thing to do and should not be tolerated. If you guys honestly think breaking NDA is no big deal you have a lot of learning to do about the software industry in general.

TheXbox

This guy is clearly a rookie. You need to tape it on VHS first, then record the footage offscreen.

guessing at least ten people have made this joke already

Top Bottom