• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians - Leaked Warzone Menu

OEM

343 continues to make terrible menus compared to Bungie.

Shit man, these dumb comparison needs to stop. Halo Reach was shit, and Destiny was shit. Bungie isnt whatit was during H1-3 time. So stop acting like everything would have been better IF IF....all we know is that it could have been even worse seeing shitty story and campaign in destiny.

Shit man, these dumb comparison needs to stop. Halo Reach was shit, and Destiny was shit. Bungie isnt whatit was during H1-3 time. So stop acting like everything would have been better IF IF....all we know is that it could have been even worse seeing shitty story and campaign in destiny.

That doesn't really have anything to do with UI, which Bungie's games excel at. 343's Halo games since haven't produced UI anywhere as crisp and concise as Reach's.

Caddle

Being a beta tester isn't much fun. Am a beta tester for much of Microsoft products. Not only the video games, I get invited to their conferences and everything. If my job didn't mandate me working 120 hours overtime a month I could really enjoy being a tester. So many games I get to miss out on.

Blueblur1

Lol

shoreu

Being a beta tester isn't much fun. Am a beta tester for much of Microsoft products. Not only the video games, I get invited to their conferences and everything. If my job didn't mandate me working 120 hours overtime a month I could really enjoy being a tester. So many games I get to miss out on.

I'll take your job bro no problem you DESERVE some R&R

That doesn't really have anything to do with UI, which Bungie's games excel at. 343's Halo games since haven't produced UI anywhere as crisp and concise as Reach's.

to be honest, I feel halo reach to be overrated. the info you get about other players was useless. % commendations completed, daily challenges...

4 was trash too. too sluggish and not clean enough.

wish they would bring back halo 3 style file sharing. I actually viewed other peoples pics in that game (during match loading) 4 and reach not so much as it was more burdensome.

5 doesn't look so bad but love the simplicity of 3.

not feeling destiny's menues much either.

ODST I liked

to be honest, I feel halo reach to be overrated. the info you get about other players was useless. % commendations completed, daily challenges...

4 was trash too. too sluggish and not clean enough.

wish they would bring back halo 3 style file sharing. I actually viewed other peoples pics in that game (during match loading) 4 and reach not so much as it was more burdensome.

5 doesn't look so bad but love the simplicity of 3.

not feeling destiny's menues much either.

ODST I liked

Halo 3 did a better job with the file browser for sure, and I personally like the sounds and aesthetic of ODST the best. But Reach was lightning fast (until you had to load a bunch of files) and put most of the relevant information at the front. Maybe some of it was extraneous, but you could still view stats, ranks and other data while scrolling through their profile in just a few seconds.

Something as simple as changing teams is buried behind several keystrokes in MCC, whereas Reach (and I believe Halo 3 as well) let you do it with a single bumper press. It's those details that make Bungie's interface smoother to navigate overall.

BokehKing

Banned
"Went out of his way"

Haha, no. The guys GT is visible in the video, so unless watching it was "going out of his way" I don't think so.
He pointed it out and said "so the right people know"

Let them find out on their own instead of trying to get a pat on the back.

RSB

Banned
Reach and Destiny were far from great, but the UI is one thing they did amazingly well. In fact, Reach may very well have the best UI I've ever used, and I really wish 343 would just copy that for their games.

Kibbles

Woah just realized in the new multiplayer trailer it says Halo 5 is rated T. First mainline Halo game with a T rating.

FordGTGuy

Banned

I'm sure that my total enjoyment of Halo 5 will be based on how the main menu compares to other Halo games.

I'm sure that my total enjoyment of Halo 5 will be based on how the main menu compares to other Halo games.

Perhaps not if you're just going to boot it up and queue into matchmaking. For people who spend more time in the menu editing Forge objects, organizing Custom Games and searching for files, the user interface is a larger presence. Halo nearly perfected this process with Halo 3 and Reach and then took a steep dive downward.

UI ties the gameplay together and it is just as important as the game's story, mechanics, level design, or whatever else. Obviously the game as a whole is going to dip in quality if any one of those things are lacking. Nevertheless, the aforementioned games being "shit" doesn't take away from what they did right.

If Halo 5's UI is sloppy, unresponsive and unable to provide basic functionality that Halo has in the past, it's going to sour the overall package. Your total enjoyment would probably go down if you had to constantly scroll through submenus and wait for them to load. 343's passed efforts in UI don't inspire much confidence, so skepticism is fair, especially when the bar was set as high as it was.

I enjoy the Xbox One a whole lot less than the 360 almost exclusively because of the terrible user interface. Playing any game on a console that may as well exist in Cobb's mind makes the entire experience less enjoyable the moment I press the guide button. Halo 5 absolutely deserves to have state of the art font, icons and scrollbars embedded into every inch of the game. I'm running out of patience for anything less.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

Reachs UI was almost perfect.

343 have shown time and time again they have no idea how to make a good UI and this video does nothing to show they have learned how to...

343 have shown time and time again they have no idea how
"Time and time again"
They have only done 3 games and CEA's UI, while nothing spectacular, didn't seem bad to me at all.

this video does nothing to show they have learned how to
I mean sure I can see how this video could paint that picture, but this is still pre-release and I think it's a bit unfair to judge based on this video. For all we know this is just some old build of the UI that they slapped on so they could test, or it's a simple UI foundation that can have things added and removed depending on what they need to test. Of course it could also be a cut down version of the current UI. Who knows? Besides 343.

Top Bottom