• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians - Leaked Warzone Menu

It's funny you are trying to misdirect the point of my post.

People here are acting like breaking a NDA is no big deal. That's the discussion. Nothing else.

That guy is an asshole for publicly outing the leaker, I agree 100%. That's not what we are talking about.

Breaking NDA is a awful thing to do and should not be tolerated. If you guys honestly think breaking NDA is no big deal you have a lot of learning to do about the software industry in general.

Seems like there are two discussions that have been occurring in tandem to me. Just emphasizing the point for the one you're not on.

This guy is clearly a rookie. You need to tape it on VHS first, then record the footage offscreen.

And be in a barn. That's the most important part.

Frog-fu

Banned
Some of y'all need to forget about the menu for a minute and think about the consequences that follow not just for the guy who leaked it but the company that stands to lose business (which could have many implications if they lose a big client like MS) and the other testers who have done nothing wrong but can still lose a source of income and be barred from something they enjoy to do.

Seems like there are two discussions that have been occurring in tandem to me. Just emphasizing the point for the one you're not on.

There is no reason to argue about your point, though. Obviously publicly posting someone's gamertag isn't a good idea. It is pretty much doxxing, or threatening to.

A vast majority of the posts in this thread are implying that breaking an NDA is okay because its, "just a menu." That is just the wrong way to think.

alexbull_uk

Obviously publicly posting someone's gamertag isn't a good idea. It is pretty much doxxing, or threatening to.

The thing is, his gamertag is in the video. The leaker is the one who's publicly posted his gamertag (albeit unintentionally).

If someone had found it out and started posting it, then yeah that's a bit of a dick move. But it's literally in the video and anyone can see it. That's the leakers fault and we shouldn't be jumping on Taker34 for pointing it out.

Magwik

Banned
Some of y'all need to forget about the menu for a minute and think about the consequences that follow not just for the guy who leaked it but the company that stands to lose business (which could have many implications if they lose a big client like MS) and the other testers who have done nothing wrong but can still lose a source of income and be barred from something they enjoy to do.

This is the second broken NDA this year. All this will do is result is smaller testing pools, possibly even less testing with VMC in general. So congrats people don't get paid anymore, and others lose the opportunity to participate in general.

iMax

This is the second broken NDA this year. All this will do is result is smaller testing pools, possibly even less testing with VMC in general. So congrats people don't get paid anymore, and others lose the opportunity to participate in general.

Once again, how do we know an NDA has been broken without reading it?

Kyzon

Do anything come out of these investigations? I mean, do they get in serious legal trouble? I've seen so many NDAs being broken over the last few years.

You can be sued, black listed, have your console bricked (?) Etc. If you're higher up, like QA or something you can be fired as well I assume.

Edit: auto-correct hates me.

So we've got 3 camps:

1- The all NDA breaches are bad camp.

2 - The screw the NDA as long as I get juicy info camp.

3 - The "just the tip", camp. Breaking an NDA is only bad if big info is leaked.

I think I'm siding with camp 1 here.

iMax

It's not like NDAs are just available to read if you're not apart of the test.

That's my point. People are making assumptions of the terms of the NDA (if it even exists/applies for/to this person) without knowing any of its details.

iMax

So we've got 3 camps:

1- The all NDA breaches are bad camp.

2 - The screw the NDA as long as I get juicy info camp.

3 - The "just the tip", camp. Breaking an NDA is only bad if big info is leaked.

I think I'm siding with camp 1 here.

I see we've now reached the point of expungement for nuance.

Kyzon

Holy shit I just read the thread though. Y'all a bunch of Rileys in here, lol.

riley_freeman_by_epictarzan-d6m71py.png

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
That's my point. People are making assumptions of the terms of the NDA (if it even exists/applies for/to this person) without knowing any of its details.

This is one of the most idiotic statements I've ever read.

Breaking NDAs is bad because it will likely put a tighter grip on testing, leading to smaller pools and might result in worse launches for online centric games.

Bsigg12

So everybody talking about the NDA is also breaking the NDA. 😗

Inception.gif

Though seriously I do believe those in the test discussing the NDA could be a breach if discussion of the NDA is mentioned in it.

At this point, it's happened, the guy messed up and ended up having his GT show up so his 15 minutes of fame will be met with MS ninjas and whoever else decides to come down on him.

iMax

This is one of the most idiotic statements I've ever read.

Breaking NDAs is bad because it will likely put a tighter grip on testing, leading to smaller pools and might result in worse launches for online centric games.

Tell me how you know an NDA has been breached here.

The only way you can possibly know is if you've signed one too, in which case, you've likely broken the terms of the NDA also.

iMax

Anyone who would know probably legally can't give you an answer.

Also if this isn't a breach then don't you think more would pop up? Not 1-2 either.

Exactly. So everyone who's saying an NDA has been breached is only assuming that—based on zero information. I've been privy to confidential information without having signed an NDA before. It's really not uncommon. Obviously I'd never be trusted if I leaked any information, but my point is we're not necessarily talking about an NDA here.

Bsigg12

NDA talk aside, I think that menu is pretty slick. The Open Packs section better be some awesome animation. I really like when card pack openings in games are kinda over the top.

alexbull_uk

I highly doubt that

I've said it before, but I'll repeat it.

The betas that are allowing these leaks aren't really common practice anyway. Many companies don't use outsourced testing and they release perfectly fine games.

If it starts to become a big problem, there's no reason for MS to keep giving money to a company that is facilitating leaks. They can just not bother renewing whatever kind of contract they have with them, and use purely in-house testing.

Nipo

I've said it before, but I'll repeat it.

The betas that are allowing these leaks aren't really common practice anyway. Many companies don't use outsourced testing and they release perfectly fine games.

If it starts to become a big problem, there's no reason for MS to keep giving money to a company that is facilitating leaks. They can just not bother renewing whatever kind of contract they have with them, and use purely in-house testing.

Those companies should as WB or Ubi how much releasing buggy games like Arkham Knight or AC:Unity cost them. I would be willing to bet it was hell of a lot more expensive than dealing with NDA violations.

alexbull_uk

Those companies should as WB or Ubi how much releasing buggy games like Arkham Knight or AC:Unity cost them. I would be willing to bet it was hell of a lot more expensive than dealing with NDA violations.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe AC:Unity was tested in this way.

alexbull_uk

Console versions i know were no idea about PC (were the bugs were really bad). Same with Batman.

Well, regardless the point still stands. An example, as far as I know, CoD has never been tested like this and they've been (love it or hate it) multiplayer juggernauts for years now.

SPDIF

Exactly. So everyone who's saying an NDA has been breached is only assuming that—based on zero information. I've been privy to confidential information without having signed an NDA before. It's really not uncommon. Obviously I'd never be trusted if I leaked any information, but my point is we're not necessarily talking about an NDA here.

VMC require you to sign an NDA before they even fully accept you on to the program. That NDA covers everything. So yes, this person broke their NDA. It was kind of obvious they did anyway. You really don't think you'd be required to sign an NDA before playing a high profile unreleased game?

pooptest

Well, they obviously didn't do any external QA with MCC... 343 can't afford another MCC, regardless of the amount of leaks.

iMax

VMC require you to sign an NDA before they even fully accept you on to the program. That NDA covers everything. So yes, this person broke their NDA. It was kind of obvious they did anyway. You really don't think you'd be required to sign an NDA before playing a high profile unreleased game?

We know this guy's a VMC tester?

Frog-fu

Banned
When did basing assumptions on facts and not conjecture become Fox Newsing'?

Do you just take everything as gospel without questioning it?

Apply some common sense and spare us your pedantry.

The game isn't releasing until late October. The standard industry wide practice is to hold private beta testing sessions. We have had leaks from those before, all by dipshits that broke their NDA. This time is no different.

Numerous people have already mentioned receiving emails from VMC about testing "Project HG" yesterday. That, combined with the timing of this leak, I think makes it kind of obvious.

And Just to make it clear, nothing can be said about anything. Not even codenames.
You sign, you keep your mouth shut.

Top Bottom