• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai__

Solo queue as a Diamond 2, get two unplaced peeps and a Gold 1.. Que?

You know, that wouldn't be a problem if those people actually had the MMR/CSR of a Diamond player, but I kooked at your game history and the Gold player did worse than the 2 unplaced guys. It's pretty interesting that on the other team you also had an unplaced player, who completed 1 placement match. How do people get put into Diamond matches after 1 placement match (assuming he wasn't playing with a friend)? Even your teammates with 2 and 3 placement matches shouldn't be put into Diamond matches just yet.

Ranking system really needs more tweaking, especially since all the player are getting placed into Onyx after 10 placement matches. There is no way the system can know that you deserve the 2nd highest rank after 10 placement matches. SWAT suffers from that problem a lot, from what I have seen. Didn't we even have a guy who won 2/10 placement matches and was placed Onyx in SWAT?

Trup1aya

Make it cosmetic unlocks only then I don't mind. Buying Req packs is literally paying to win anyhow, its just pretty minor in the long run since you still need Req level and energy and you have finite cards. So it still wouldn't really matter.

Paying for req packs removes the grind. But you don't really have an advantage over someone who grinded and opened the same amount of req packs...

But if there was a specific paid req pack, that guartunteed specific items, then you'd have access to odds that non-paying customers don't have access to.

Ofcourse if it was cosmetic only, it wouldn't really mater

Oh I know about this

The problem is I don't have much time to grind the packs - if I was to focus solely on bronze packs it would be months before I was able to upgrade to silver and even then there are enough silver items that would stop me getting the few items I actually want

Again not a complaint against the system - just a personal rant

Oh I see... For a non paying person, It's actually not THAT different from any other Progression system in that it ends up being a measure of how much time you've invested in the game.

You can circumvent the time requirements by getting lucky.

I guess that slightly better than having grind being your only option.

Having spent a considerable amount of time playing warzone this weekend I'm mixed on the req pack thing. I had no problem calling in power weapons and vehicles at will but I have acquired enough good certifications over my 30+ hours of arena that it wasn't an issue, would I have loved to call in a banshee? Sure but all I have is scorpions, gun gooser, warthogs, and banshees so I guess one of these will have to do until I get some wraith/banshee certifications.

Personally I enjoy collecting skins and certifications.

RobNBanks

Banned
You know, that wouldn't be a problem if those people actually had the MMR/CSR of a Diamond player, but I kooked at your game history and the Gold player did worse than the 2 unplaced guys. It's pretty interesting that on the other team you also had an unplaced player, who completed 1 placement match. How do people get put into Diamond matches after 1 placement match (assuming he wasn't playing with a friend)? Even your teammates with 2 and 3 placement matches shouldn't be put into Diamond matches just yet.

Ranking system really needs more tweaking, especially since all the player are getting placed into Onyx after 10 placement matches. There is no way the system can know that you deserve the 2nd highest rank after 10 placement matches. SWAT suffers from that problem a lot, from what I have seen. Didn't we even have a guy who won 2/10 placement matches and was placed Onyx in SWAT?

I won 2/10 in FFA and got Onyx.

My wz req packs are poop most of the time. This time wasn't too bad, I've been really wanting to try out Void's Tear seems like a neat weapon. That helm is butt ugly though.

Screenshot-Original.png

Trup1aya

Having spent a considerable amount of time playing warzone this weekend I'm mixed on the req pack thing. I had no problem calling in power weapons and vehicles at will but I have acquired enough good certifications over my 30+ hours of arena that it wasn't an issue, would I have loved to call in a banshee? Sure but all I have is scorpions, gun gooser, warthogs, and banshees so I guess one of these will have to do until I get some wraith/banshee certifications.

Personally I enjoy collecting skins and certifications.

I got the wraith certification in a silver pack, but I'm still mainly focusing on bronzes, so I don't replenish that stock often. The only time I've gotten a Banshee was when I used a Rare random weapon card. And it came just after capturing the second base (Warzone assault) so it was useless in attacking home base... I did get a few kills as the defenders tried to run back to their base... I felt like a hawk in the sky.

Karl2177

Paying for req packs removes the grind. But you don't really have an advantage over someone who grinded and opened the same amount of req packs...

But if there was a specific paid req pack, that guartunteed specific items, then you'd have access to odds that non-paying customers don't have access to.

Ofcourse if it was cosmetic only, it wouldn't really mater

Oh I see... For a non paying person, It's actually not THAT different from any other Progression system in that it ends up being a measure of how much time you've invested in the game.

You can circumvent the time requirements by getting lucky.

I guess that slightly better than having grind being your only option.

The big problem is repeats. The last few packs I've opened were Mongeese, Speed Boosts, and Gambit: Assists. In a system like Titanfall(where unlocks are also "burnable") you still have Challenges and stuff that guarantee a specific card when you beat it. This system feels 100% chance based, and to me, that's not really progression at all.

Trup1aya

The big problem is repeats. The last few packs I've opened were Mongeese, Speed Boosts, and Gambit: Assists. In a system like Titanfall(where unlocks are also "burnable") you still have Challenges and stuff that guarantee a specific card when you beat it. This system feels 100% chance based, and to me, that's not really progression at all.

Well it's chance based, but you can manipulate your odds.

You don't have control over whether or not you get a specific card, but you do have control over the odds of you getting cards at that particular items rarity.

since gold and silver packs both guaruntee permanent items, and bronzes seem to net a permanent 3/4ths of the time, you WILL naturally progress through all unlocks over time.

If you open a string of bronzes and aren't getting any permanents, you can probably jump up to silver with good results.

Welfare

We can't have challenges because then that means there's less chance of someone forking over money for REQ's.

GTSweet

Neo Member
My friend has now spent over $115 on Gold Packs... he's at 95% completion of REQs.

Crazy, but he is super happy. He has all the mythic weapons and phaeton cert.

My last breakout game took 3 mins. I kind of feel bad though, I'm doing my placement matches for Arena so everyone on the enemy team was super new. They were all SR four or below, and all still doing their placement matches. The best person on their team went 1-5 lol.

H5 has a few of those. I know I got the Headshot emblem from opening a Headshot commendation pack, they just need to lean into that a little more.

My friend has now spent over $115 on Gold Packs... he's at 95% completion of REQs.

How do cert's work for ultra rare items?

If you have cert's unlocked for everything in the game - does having the cert basically become null as you will just keep getting common items you also have cert's for cert? Or does having the cert make that item drop more regularly despite the fact it's rare?

Voliko

I was put into onyx matches after one or 2 matches of SWAT, it's like the system had already decided I was Onyx after going 23 and 4 or something my first game. I probably lost 6 out of 10 matches by the end but I still got Onyx somehow.

I dislike the whole "placement" thing. I don't think there's anything wrong with starting off everyone at the same rank a la Halo 3.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Bought a few Gold Packs last night, my first pack purchase in the game, got a Ultra Rare Assault Rifle Skin (the cool dark red one), but a few rare and ultra rare armors (that are just very minor variants on common armors, WTF) , and absolutely zero Assassinations. In fact, I have never gotten an assassination. Is my luck really that bad or are they harder to come by?

GTSweet

Neo Member
How do cert's work for ultra rare items?

If you have cert's unlocked for everything in the game - does having the cert basically become null as you will just keep getting common items you also have cert's for cert? Or does having the cert make that item drop more regularly despite the fact it's rare?

From my understanding (and hearing from him opening all of his packs) essentially it will continue to unlock permanent REQs that are within the selected REQ pack (gold or silver) until there are none left.

For silver, he unlocked ALL of the silver permanent REQs, so if he opens a Silver pack he now gets 3000 RP pts instead of a permanent REQ item.

For gold, yes, eventually you are forced to unlock the certifications for legendary and even mythic items because you've unlocked everything else. He got Nornfang(mythic) and a legendary armor in same pack because almost everything else is done

I just thanked him for helping pay for my DLC and the HCS prize pool!

Bought a few Gold Packs last night, my first pack purchase in the game, got a Ultra Rare Assault Rifle Skin (the cool dark red one), but a few rare and ultra rare armors (that are just very minor variants on common armors, WTF) , and absolutely zero Assassinations. In fact, I have never gotten an assassination. Is my luck really that bad or are they harder to come by?

All assassinations are rare or above I believe plus there aren't many of them.

In my view, CSGO has a better system for finding where you get placed. It also uses the ten game method, however you have to win ten games in order to get your initial rank, not just play ten games.

Got Ad Victorium and The Answer certs from my packs today. Pretty satisfied with that. :^]

The Answer is soooo good. Out of all my fancy toys it's easily my favorite still. It's just a lot of fun to use and is extremely strong.

Caja 117

I was put into onyx matches after one or 2 matches of SWAT, it's like the system had already decided I was Onyx after going 23 and 4 or something my first game. I probably lost 6 out of 10 matches by the end but I still got Onyx somehow.

I dislike the whole "placement" thing. I don't think there's anything wrong with starting off everyone at the same rank a la Halo 3.

Yeah, Halo 3/2 are IMO, better than this type on Ranking system, I didnt like it in Reach either, and I really tought after using Halo 2 similar rank system in MCC they were going for it on Halo 5.

Ramirez

Yeah, Halo 3/2 are IMO, better than this type on Ranking system, I didnt like it in Reach either, and I really tought after using Halo 2 similar rank system in MCC they were going for it on Halo 5.

I mean, at least the average person can go up & down in 5, in 2 or 3 that basically stopped for a lot of people at a certain point. There's a reason second accounts and cheaters were rampant with those 2 systems.

E92 M3

I mean, at least the average person can go up & down in 5, in 2 or 3 that basically stopped for a lot of people at a certain point. There's a reason second accounts and cheaters were rampant with those 2 systems.

Halo 2 was magnitudes harder than Halo 3. Everyone decent was a 50 in Halo 3. In Halo 2, the best of the best were in the 40s or high 30s.

Hesemonni

Banned
Am I alone with my opinion that Halo 4 campaign is more impressive visually than Halo 5 campaign? :/ Constant flickering, aliasing and changing resolution is really tiring on the eyes. And playing Halo 4 made me realize the prometheans didn't just look low poly, but they actually were. For example crawlers.

Trup1aya

Sounds like he spend nearly enough to buy 3 copies of Halo... The IP remains a cash cow, regardless of unit sales! It also shits on Angry Joes "calculations" for how much it would take to unlock stuff with microtransactions.

Also sounds like he opened his packs did the right way. I know of people who spend more and got much less.

Am I alone with my opinion that Halo 4 campaign is more impressive visually than Halo 5 campaign? :/ Constant flickering, aliasing and changing resolution is really tiring on the eyes. And playing Halo 4 made me realize the prometheans didn't just look low poly, but they actually were. For example crawlers.

I was generally impressed with Halo5's visual... I didn't notice resolution changes except for in the Suniaon level. That level is hideous, which sucks because it made for some awesome encounters.

There are two common assassinations, and I haven't unlocked either one... I guess the are as likely to pop up as anything else labeled common.

PS, start with bronzes, then work your way up

Ramirez

Halo 2 was magnitudes harder than Halo 3. Everyone decent was a 50 in Halo 3. In Halo 2, the best of the best were in the 40s or high 30s.

Who would know, at launch, anything past 16 was a complete shit show of stand by & elite glitches.

God, Halo 2 was an awful online experience for so much of its life for me.

BraXzy

I mean you never know maybe I'm not at Diamond level myself, but that game was just atrocious. My entire team would die and I'd be left to 1v4 or 1v3 for half the rounds. Ranking definitely needs tweaking and I agree Onyx shouldn't necessarily be given after the first 10. I guess some people are at that level from the off though. I got Onyx in FFA with 0 wins technically since I never landed first place.

I think after the reset it should work better perhaps, because people will have gotten a lot better or turned out a lot worse and will hopefully place more accurately this time around? Idk.

Hesemonni

Banned
I was generally impressed with Halo5's visual... I didn't notice resolution changes except for in the Suniaon level. That level is hideous, which sucks because it made for some awesome encounters.
Glassed level was the worst offender for me. Grey levels matched with low IQ and low poly models.

E92 M3

Who would know, at launch, anything past 16 was a complete shit show of stand by & elite glitches.

God, Halo 2 was an awful online experience for so much of its life for me.

Halo 2 was a fantastic online experience for me. It was wonderful being there from day 1 - Bungie were ahead of the game in MM technology. Also, button glitches added a nice dynamic to the engagements.

Halo 2 was a fantastic online experience for me. It was wonderful being there from day 1 - Bungie were ahead of the game in MM technology. Also, button glitches added a nice dynamic to the engagements.

Halo 2 was great. Bungie were ahead of the game.

It was also riddled with big-team blackscreen and standbying cheaters. I still loved it.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

I can sign that. I remember the release to this day. Had the awesome halo 2headset pre-ordered and the LE. Came home on friday and had a vacation day on monday..so well :D you know what I did. 72 hours of halo 2..only breaks for food and sleep.

also do we have a time when the update will hit? I really don't like it that we only know "today" ._. give me something like "8AM GMT" >>

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

The only thing I care about is a good game, dont care if folks are higher or lower rank than me, as long as the teams overall are balanced out.

Plenty of times in plenty of Halo across the sequels where you focus on one or two players or avoid specifically one or two.

I don't expect teams to have all equal ranks, as long as the two teams balance each other out is all good. We're never gonna have a perfect system unless we have millions and millions of players to pool from. Even then, something will come along.

The only thing I fundamentally disagree with in Halo 5 is making every bucket outside of Warzone ranked. Nobody wants an all ranked only set of playlists outside of some insane competitive feitishists. In every Halo game that had both ranked and unranked, Unranked was always the most popular. With many reason why.

Ranked BTB should not be a thing. Bungie learned that lesson with Halo 3. There are just not enough organised large, competitive groups to realise it. It's a casual game mode, not an Arena e-sport candidate. I don't believe Halo 5 cannot offer an alternative to Ranked only buckets, BTB should be the launch of Halo 5's unranked offerings. If not, players are not going to stick around to long enough to care or get obliterated by a team of 8+ champion dongsters.

The only thing I care about is a good game, dont care if folks are higher or lower rank than me, as long as the teams overall are balanced out.

Plenty of times in plenty of Halo across the sequels where you focus on one or two players or avoid specifically one or two.

I don't expect teams to have all equal ranks, as long as the two teams balance each other out is all good. We're never gonna have a perfect system unless we have millions and millions of players to pool from. Even then, something will come along.

The only thing I fundamentally disagree with in Halo 5 is making every bucket outside of Warzone ranked. Nobody wants an all ranked only set of playlists outside of some insane competitive feitishists. In every Halo game that had both ranked and unranked, Unranked was always the most popular. With many reason why.

Ranked BTB should not be a thing. Bungie learned that lesson with Halo 3. There are just not enough organised large, competitive groups to realise it. It's a casual game mode, not an Arena e-sport candidate. I don't believe Halo 5 cannot offer an alternative to Ranked only buckets, BTB should be the launch of Halo 5's unranked offerings. If not, players are not going to stick around to long enough to care or get obliterated by a team of 8+ champion dongsters.

You get (got, Halo 3 was full of them) teams of '8 dongers' in social lists too. Ranking is, if anything, more likely to avoid it. The main issue with Ranked is the stress of worrying about yer rank, for me.

You get (got, Halo 3 was full of them) teams of '8 dongers' in social lists too. Ranking is, if anything, more likely to avoid it. The main issue with Ranked is the stress of worrying about yer rank, for me.

Yup I was constantly getting donged on by large teams when solo queuing BTB in Halo 3. You also got some really incredibly bad team mates in the form of guest players which didn't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom