• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHY IN BLUE BLAZES DID 343 NOT FREAKING PUT THIS FREAKING VIDEO IN THE FREAKING GAME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3V061QDUYI

It could have perfectly tied into the actual intro with Osiris.

DAMMIT 343.

martin3.png

This could all be avoided if people would stop calling it Car, and just go with top & bottom lift. Carbines spawn at both sides, so it's a silly call out to begin with.

Aye. Lift vs camo tower.

As for split-screen, I'd warrant that that's not a major issue for Halo in general. I suspect, although I have no proof, that the gripes about its absence are (understandable and) probably a vocal minority.

Again, why does Halo need to be Destiny to be successful? It's a glum world if we only value and support the megastars. Halo has changed, for many, many reasons, Destiny is just another marker on that process. They are two different beasts, even if they sprang from the same bloodline way back when. Destiny takes its cues from MMO hooks. It's cynical, essentially, designed to keep you playing for some pretty (meaningless, mostly) rewards. It works, but it's not the only way to do things.

Edit: In other news, H5 is the best MP I have played for a long, long time. POSITIVITY, YO.

It's Halo 1, thank you for asking.
This +1 billion I will always love Combat Evolved. I have a coworker who has never played any of the Halo games, but purchased TMCC. He's been sitting on huge backlog of games and I told him if he has time he needs to play the first one, at least just once.

Akai__

This could all be avoided if people would stop calling it Car, and just go with top & bottom lift. Carbines spawn at both sides, so it's a silly call out to begin with.

The in-game callouts are literally "Carbine 1" and "Carbine 2". Probably because it's been like that since Halo 2. You also can't really see which tower has the lift, by just looking at them from the outside. It's just hard to tell and confusing to people. All it needs is a visual cue really.

The in-game callouts are literally "Carbine 1" and "Carbine 2". Probably because it's been like that since Halo 2. You also can't really see which tower has the lift, by just looking at them from the outside. It's just hard to tell and confusing to people. All it needs is a visual cue really.

I agree a clearler clue would be nice, but the towers are shaped differently for a start.

So Halo5GAF, just wondering:

What is your favorite Halo game, and why is it Halo 3?

It's CE since nothing will ever top 16 player LAN parties but I've played Halo 3 the most because it had the best online BTB. The BR spread helped BTB a lot IMO since sightlines could be a bit more open without turning everything into a BR fight. Will be interesting to see how well Halo 5 works.

Juan

We honestly can't be looking at the same pictures because graphically Halo 4 looks leaps and bounds better than Halo 3.

It looks more contrasted and shinny, but I wouldn't say it is a leap from Halo 3...

I understand what Jack The Nipper is saying, I had this point of view since the launch of Halo 4. I understand 343 Industries tries to get a deeper and more serious visual aspect with Halo, but in lot of cases, they did it without having the gameplay in mind. Lot of VFXs, lightning and dust/cloud/foggy effects doesn't players to get a better view of the battlefield and how the map really is during a game.

That's where Bungie are good. When you look at the Destiny MP maps, it all looks good (in term of visual, not in game level design). Destiny is a game where Bungie tried to put a lot more VFXs than they did with Halo, but they do that with parsimony and the visual art aren't affecting the gameplay in a bad way. They put the gameplay above all, and they design their maps around that, both in term of level design and visual effect & art.

That is something that struggle me with Halo 5 in fact...

Well the actual callout below the radar is "Carbine One, Carbine Two, Carbine Lift"

I think the real issue is that there is nothing "pink" about Pink Tower

Am I the only one who manages to play these H5 maps without writing a big list of moans? They vary in terms of how much I like them, but I feel like I'm missing a lot of stuff. I see people, I shoot people, I die. Repeat. Next!

jelly

WHY IN BLUE BLAZES DID 343 NOT FREAKING PUT THIS FREAKING VIDEO IN THE FREAKING GAME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3V061QDUYI

It could have perfectly tied into the actual intro with Osiris.

DAMMIT 343.

martin3.png

Good summary but shows how quickly it falls apart after Halo 3 and humans picked themselves up rather quickly. If only the deep space mystery in Halo 4 went another direction. Making humans so powerful took away against the odds, shit has to hit the galactic fan all the time for a plot.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
First time playing in a group was tonight with Juices, see5sharp and a few others. Was a pretty good time in Warzone. I'd like to do that more often.

People play like douchebags in Doubles. Crouch walk and nade spam constantly.

doubles shouldn't have radar

Yea, but it's carry over/fan service from Midship. The lift makes way more sense as a callout to your average person. It's also connected to the bends, so I don't know how anyone is getting the sides mixed up to begin with.

Because both sides of the map are purple and the middle is symmetric. If you're in the middle of the map, it's easy to get the two sides mixed up if you glance at them in the heat of the moment.

Ramirez

Well the actual callout below the radar is "Carbine One, Carbine Two, Carbine Lift"

I think the real issue is that there is nothing "pink" about Pink Tower

Yea, but it's carry over/fan service from Midship. The lift makes way more sense as a callout to your average person. It's also connected to the bends, so I don't know how anyone is getting the sides mixed up to begin with.

Good summary but shows how quickly it falls apart after Halo 3 and humans picked themselves up rather quickly. If only the deep space mystery in Halo 4 went another direction. Making humans so powerful took away against the odds, shit has to hit the galactic fan all the time for a plot.

Humans aren't that powerful, though. The Infinity is about as pound-for-pound tough as any of the Covenant ships, but it'd get wrecked by something like Long Night of Solace, and to the best of my knowledge, they've only got the one of them. Mankind's principle advantage (pre-H5) was being unified and organized while M'Dama's Covenant was a fraction of the real deal's strength and fighting a war on two fronts.

Gotta have Humanity rebuild itself so there's more to ruin when the Precursors show up to reclaim the Mantle lol

The thing that becomes clear, the more I play this game, there's no heart or soul in it any where.

It's a series of check boxes, ticked off, with varying levels of investment.

The only real emotion or purpose that comes through loud and clear throughout, is a very real, powerful, cynical contempt for the paying customer.

The thing that becomes clear, the more I play this game, there's no heart or soul in it any where.

The only real emotion or purpose that comes through loud and clear throughout, is a very real, powerful, cynical contempt for the paying customer.

Kay

But seriously though, I have no idea where you're coming from with this, and suspect you of being nuts.

Caja 117

I have to admit, it might not be the best Halo, but Halo 3 is my favorite, and Its because of the map selection, the MP playlist and Ranking the combination of all of these item put it up there.

I feel Halo 5 is only missing a good map rotation to be up there, is a very fun game to play.

ShutterMunster

My favorite Halo is probably 3, followed very closely by 2. Halo Reach was probably my favorite single player Halo experience. It had a pretty coherent narrative and some of the emotional moments resonated with me. Halo 3 MP was incredible. I think I got up to rank 42 or 43. Bungie was at the top of their game then.

Halo 5 has the best feeling combat of the series, but it has a serious map problem. There aren't enough maps and the ones that are there aren't any good (few exceptions).

Humans aren't that powerful, though. The Infinity is about as pound-for-pound tough as any of the Covenant ships, but it'd get wrecked by something like Long Night of Solace, and to the best of my knowledge, they've only got the one of them. Mankind's principle advantage (pre-H5) was being unified and organized while M'Dama's Covenant was a fraction of the real deal's strength and fighting a war on two fronts.
This really didn't sound right so I looked it up....
Code:
[IMG]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/halo/images/3/3c/Size_Comparison_-_CSO%2C_CAS_and_Infinity-class_Ships.png/revision/latest?cb=20150912113445[/IMG]
Halo needs more power level discussions to put things in perspective.

Just quit playing warzone AKA: "get shot by people who bought better guns than you", and that feeling goes away pretty quick. Arena is still great.

Because Halo 3 is far and away the best Halo game as a complete package. Great campaign, great co-op, great multiplayer, great maps, great DLC maps, improved weapon balance over Halo 2, better community features and Bungie.net integration.

It felt more 'next generation' in content and execution in 2007 than most games released thus far in the PS4/XBO era.

The only downside to Halo 3 was that there was really no way to top it. The only direction for the franchise following that high was to look outside the box and get experimental, which obviously brought risks of backlash.

ShutterMunster

Because Halo 3 is far and away the best Halo game as a complete package. Great campaign, great co-op, great multiplayer, great maps, great DLC maps, improved weapon balance over Halo 2, better community features and Bungie.net integration.

It felt more 'next generation' in content and execution in 2007 than most games released thus far in the PS4/XBO era.

The only downside to Halo 3 was that there was really no way to top it. The only direction for the franchise following that high was to look outside the box and get experimental, which obviously brought risks of backlash.

Yeah, I think Halo 3 might go down as the high point for this series. 343 keeps stumbling about.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I must say, Halo 5 is quickly shaping up to be one of my three favourite Halo games, along with 2 and 3.

The Arena maps are really, really good. The balance of weapons is phenomenal. The campaign was rather satisfying on Heroic. Only thing missing is BTB, but with that Halo 5 may become the top dog for me.

What worries me a bit is the tiny community size in EU, I have got matched against same players more than once. Hopefully the community won't die out.

Gotta say, campaign wise, ODST. It doesn't have the strongest narrative arc, but its focus on characters instead of a boring, bloated plot about the Covenant once again trying to exterminate humanity was a breath of fresh air. Plus, it gave us Nathan Fillion.

As for multiplayer, Halo 5. It's... it's just better than the rest. If Call of Duty's multiplayer each year is an incremental expansion, Halo 5's multiplayer is an evolution.

This really didn't sound right so I looked it up....
Code:
[IMG]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/halo/images/3/3c/Size_Comparison_-_CSO%2C_CAS_and_Infinity-class_Ships.png/revision/latest?cb=20150912113445[/IMG]
Halo needs more power level discussions to put things in perspective.

Just quit playing warzone AKA: "get shot by people who bought better guns than you", and that feeling goes away pretty quick. Arena is still great.

Yeah, Long Night of Solace is fuckhuege. In the fleet miniature game, a scale model comes out to more than 4 feet. It's nuts. UNSC has made advances postwar, but they're still not all the way there yet.

Fun reference.

BTW, Mantle's Approach makes every Covenant and Human ship in the series (other than High Charity, I guess) look tiny. Thing is Death Star sized, and apparently it was only middling as far as Forerunner warships go.

VinFTW

Managed to place Onyx in Doubles despite the fuckery.

Some cheeky mother actually bagged me after storm rifling me to death while crouch camping around a corner :mad:

I feel like when you unlock one part of an armor set, it increases the chance you will get the matching part of that set in the future. I am missing plenty of Uncommons but today I opened 2 packs and received Foehammer Echo body from the first and Foehammer Echo helmet from the second. This has happened plenty of times to me, but I still have some outlier armor pieces that packs refuse to give me the matching body/helmet for.

I only bring this up because I just got the ultra rare Wetwork body armor out of a gold pack and I am hoping this means I am more likely to get the Wetwork helmet in the future since I adore the Wetwork helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom