• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
A day like today 14 years ago console shooter games would never be the same again, happy 14th birthday Halo Combat Evolved!

Sorry if I posted this here but I don't know where to put it :)

y2S3KML.jpg

TrounceX

Would like some advice from good players!

I am not very good at this game. I don't have the time I did when I was younger to play 4 hours a day and git gud, so I thought I'd try to break down people's general strategy.

Do you aim for the head?

What is your usual evasion strategy? Example -- I usually end up jumping and trying to keep my reticle on my opponents head during a one on one exchange. Do you guys strafe? Zig-zag? Hover in mid air? Duck (this one seems to work better than you'd think it would)?

What is your preferred weapon between Pistol and Auto Rifle, and why?

What is up with the pistol? It seems insanely overpowered and seems to work better at a distance than the Assault Rifle.

Thanks guys, I'd actually like everyone to answer these questions if possible, very curious to see how you guys/gals get down. :)

I disagree with a lot of the advice here. With the pistol it's better to aim for the upper chest/neck area. The headshot hitbox is narrow but tall. The chest area hitbox is wider. You want to hit where the two intersect.

Evasion strategy? Depends on a lot of things.

Close distance = close strafes, jump like mad, crouching is really effective

Mid range = longer strafes, try to be unpredictable i.e don't strafe back and forth at equal distances and try not to match your enemies strafe pattern. Jumping sometimes works, hovering throws people off. Crouching not so much.

Long range = general rule is don't waste your time doing 1v1 long range duels in this game. Disengage, do not sprint right away, get your shields back.

If the enemy has a height advantage on you, try to strafe in a circular motion, this adds another dimension they have to account for.

The last headshot with the pistol seems to be the hardest to hit, almost like your autoaim goes down for that last hit (not sure if this is a bug)... unless they thruster. Thrustering in this situation is not advisable because it seems to increase bullet magnetism. People are making a mistake by thrustering when they are one shot.

BraXzy

I thought it is more a community montage not an UBERPROXXSNIPEYOLO montage?

The other HaloGAF montages were also pretty average in terms of clips

All my clip submissions were more daft than pro. I never think to record when I play well :3

Just want to share my personal level design, art issues with 343 and hopefully they can change a few tings to make the game more accessible.

alright here we go, here are some of the biggest issues that really , hopefully get addressed for their next game.

Fist of all

I made this comparison for the sake of showing I care about halo and the franchise. These comparisons have nothing to do with bungie or 343 blah whatever. I didn't try to choose favorites or things to make either game look better than the other. Just in my mind, halo 5 and 4 just end up looking bad and it's with art style, effects, texture use and especially lighting.

First up

Design - map design and the halo feel

I tried to use a map that was similar design of the bad city like levels in halo 5. So I used this halo 3 dlc map which sort of has a similar feel but the big difference is the actual choke points.

On the halo 3 map, it has places that are much easier to control or lose control in. It also has less tiers in "most" of the map and is overall less cluttered and makes for a lot better sight lines.

In the last set of images you can especially see how the lighting and fog effects make things hard to see, this is a mp portion of a game, these things just simply arent needed. You can also see how there are so many open areas and no choke points in the shot at all , especially when you are on top of things.

I'm not even saying the halo 3 map is a great map, but it is quite playable, one flag, ball, doubles, 4 v 4, territories etc
YeXe4gU.jpg

next up is lighting

ZgZjwpH.jpg

Lighting is something I had a huge problem with in Halo 4 and saw most of the same issues coming over into Halo 5.

As you can see, the bloom lighting effects just make a lot of the sight areas really hard to see. Again, this being a multiplayer game, the halo 3 engine seems to account for visibility. Bloom lighting and smoke just isn't needed in the MP portion of the game. There is not a lot of sense in making the game harder to see imo

Other issues include muddy or haze like look in the background in pics 2 when there isn't even any lights getting in the way.

You'll see more of this in the next set of images.

Truth/Midship

rvJcb6c.jpg

This is where we are getting into some questionable texture looks as well as the common fog/light issues that have already been detailed.

In the first pic you can see how it's hard to actually see across top mid and into the other team's base, get's quite foggy.

Pic 2 you can see how the foggy lighting takes away from seeing.

Pic 3 you can see questionable texture styles as well as things that distract your vision again.

Pic 4 is getting so blurry and foggy in the distance you can't make it out at all anymore

Pic 5- again the fogging issue

Basically the issue is, I simply don't need the atmosphere and harder to see areas in the MP portion of the game. I just want wht I'm seeing on H3. Sure, it's technically worse in Halo 3 but i like being able to see more than I like distractions and fog everywhere.

I feel Bungie could have went with a foggy lighting system, but why take away from vision in the mp portion?

Bonus Halo 4

I have to admit when I read on gaf how people felt halo 4 looked next gen and blew halo 3 away, I was completely dumbfounded and here's why

a4m2rGQ.jpg

Pic 1- you can see how the blurry backgrounds and extreme lights and shadows just make it all look confusing and bit ugly

Pic 2- again the harsh lighting and colors just make it harder to see and gives a very different and negative mood

Pic 3- I think this one speaks for itself.

Pic 4- again, overly saturated lighting just makes it too busy and unfocused

pic 5- again this is probably technically worse, but it just ends up being a lot more soothing to me and I can;t enjoy the halo 5 version

So, there we go. I think 343 has a ton of engine issues that simply hurt the halo experience.

The level design just feels off and that is also easy to see in the pics withot much to say for it.

I understand your trying to make a richer atmosphere 343 and that you want it to feel more alien like . But, it just ends up being hard to see and that really hurts when trying to see players and shoot at them.

Other than that, I hope these things can finally be changed for Halo 6 or future Halo 5 dlc, or at least some sort of options to take out the fog, light blooms

RexNovis

Banned
Since my post in the "What do you want to see in Halo 6" thread went completely overlooked for whatever reason I figured I'd repost it here to see what you all think and hopefully start a discussion about the future of the franchise and where you see it going from here. Anyway here's the post

In the interest of sparking some more discussion Halo's future as a franchise I'd like to discuss the October NPD sales figures for this game. It was revealed that the game marks a 70+% decline in debut sales over past with 935k units sold in the US (retail+bundles). Previous entries in the series managed sales of 3.3million during their NPD debuts (3, 4 and Reach). The closest in performance was ODST. For reference here are some posts from the NPD thread

NPD Insider said:
The best-selling title of the October 2015 U.S. Games Industry Report, Microsoft's Console Software SKU 'Halo 5: Guardians,' sold a combined total of 935K including all Bundle units.

foxbeldin said:
CTrF2dWWEAEpGVC.jpg

Halo 5 : 1 week of tracking (includes bundles but not digital)
Halo 3 : 2 weeks of tracking with vast majority of Month 1 sales occurring during first week
others : 3 weeks of tracking with vast majority of Month 1 sales occurring during first week

Also keep in mind that the drop in UK for Halo 5 was around 80% for week 2.

Ryng_Tolu said:
So, we have ( including bundle):

UK - 150,000
US - 935,000

UK+US - 1,085,000

I think US+UK is around 70% of WW market for XB1, or even more, so, i think 1.55 million for Halo 5 first week WW seem legit.

If we including digital, 1.7-1.75 million WW. Not more.

These numbers make Halo 5 the worst debut in the core Halo franchise (core = main entries excluding Halo CE rerelease, Halo Anniversary titles, MCC and Halo Wars). This is especially relevant given the "biggest Halo launch ever" PR that MS released which was incredibly misleading by not only referring to shipped figures but also including hardware (bundles & accessories) as well as Microtransactions (REQ packs).

As fans of this series what are y'all's thoughts on this? First impressions are obviously that MCC and possibly Halo 4 severely damaged the franchise but could there be some other causes that might have occurred to me? What bearing do you feel this will have on the future of the series?

Personally this makes me think future entries will be far more likely to release day and date on PC as well as console.

So what are y'all's thoughts on these figures? What do you think are the major contributing factors to the sales differential between this and previous releases. Please do keep in mind that digital sales are not included but would likely be somewhere between 15-25% given industry trends and that the XB1 actually has a higher install base than the 360 did when Halo 3 released so install base is likely not a major determining factor.

Do you agree with me that this makes it more likely we would see future Halo titles release day 1 on PC or do you disagree? Do you think this will impact the development budget for future Halo titles? Do you see this impacting the franchises' future?

Since my post in the "What do you want to see in Halo 6" thread went completely overlooked for whatever reason I figured I'd repost it here to see what you all think and hopefully start a discussion about the future of the franchise and where you see it going from here. Anyway here's the post

So what are y'all's thoughts on these figures? What do you think are the major contributing factors to the sales differential between this and previous releases. Please do keep in mind that digital sales are not included but would likely be somewhere between 15-25% given industry trends and that the XB1 actually has a higher install base than the 360 did when Halo 3 released so install base is likely not a major determining factor.

Do you agree with me that this makes it more likely we would see future Halo titles release day 1 on PC or do you disagree? Do you think this will impact the development budget for future Halo titles? Do you see this impacting the franchises' future?

Biggest factor is probably the MCC. We'll need to see total sales before making any good guesses on what this means for the future of the franchise. Are there any references for how crazy buggy releases impact sales of future titles? MS seemed pretty happy with it considering the 400mil figure, so from a pure revenue perspective it's doing okay. They're also selling REQ packs like gangbusters.

Day 1 on PC is likely, but that's due more to MS' overall strategy direction (one platform) than anything to do with Halo specifically.

What I really hope doesn't happen is that they take this as a sign that they need to take the gameplay in a really different direction. H5 is top-tier Halo, I'd like to see them refine rather than diverge. I really do believe that the sales decline is do to factors other than the quality of Halo 5.

I don't agree with your criticism. Your argument falls apart if you put enemies in the environments you're looking at. So what, the lighting and atmosphere has changed and added extra detail? You can still see and shoot enemies just fine. If you're worried about lights drawing your attention in MP you're probably in the wrong place by the sounds of it.

Trup1aya

Frankly, I'm not surprised by these sales figures. I think the writing has been on the wall since after Halo:3 launched as the franchise didn't see much growth, despite the growth of the Xbox 360 platform.

The emergence of stiff competition, in the shooter space and an erosion of Halo's core values did a double whammy on Halo's success among its core and casual players alike.

After H3 launch sales were largely propped up by a growing Xbox 360 installed base...

The idea that Halo 5 ever could've put up numbers like last gen, with this installed based is laughable. Yes, Halo 3 did it, but when Halo 3 launched the franchise was at its peak of its existence. Since then, we've had Reach, Halo 4, and MCC, all of which hurt the brand in one way or another. How could anyone think that Halo5 would do Halo3 numbers? Does anyone remember the energy in the air when H3 launched? That energy was definately absent this time around

Anyway I'm very happy with H5 and optimistic about the future of the franchise. I think 343i does a great job a listening to concerns and have crafted a game that really does remind me of halo of old, but with exciting new twists. Hopefully next time, they can deliver a more meaty campaign and more MP content at launch. Having to wait for classic game modes is not good. Not having a clue when/if they will arrive is worse.

Will it end up on PC? I hope so. The more people that get to play the better.

The Warzone mode in particular seems like it might be a profitable addition to the windows store.

Edit: one thing is for sure though, this franchise still prints money...

KaoticBlaze

Amen! I dont know how anyone could think that halo 3 looks better than halo 5, hell even 4 for that matter. Personally i love the new lighting effects. The fog isnt a big deal to me, dont even notice it the majority of the time in MP, in Campaign its more noticeable but it adds to the effect of being in an alien world. But to each his own i guess.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I have to admit when I read on gaf how people felt halo 4 looked next gen and blew halo 3 away, I was completely dumbfounded and here's why

a4m2rGQ.jpg

Pic 1- you can see how the blurry backgrounds and extreme lights and shadows just make it all look confusing and bit ugly

Pic 2- again the harsh lighting and colors just make it harder to see and gives a very different and negative mood

Pic 3- I think this one speaks for itself.

Pic 4- again, overly saturated lighting just makes it too busy and unfocused

pic 5- again this is probably technically worse, but it just ends up being a lot more soothing to me and I can;t enjoy the halo 5 version

We honestly can't be looking at the same pictures because graphically Halo 4 looks leaps and bounds better than Halo 3.

Gwyn

Major contributing factors:

1) Alot of Halo fans moved to Destiny and it's hard to quit the game after you put so many hours farming "rare / epic" loot, at least that's how i felt when i played WoW.

2) All the other AAA games released close to Halo 5 (BLOPS , Fallout, Battlefront)

3) MCC

4) It's not casual friendly compared to other AAA FPS

Madness

Jack the Nipper I've been trying to show/say what you have for the past few years. I hate the lighting since Halo 4. I loved the visual clarity, color saturation of Halo 3, Reach. They fixed Halo 5 a lot from the beta, but there's still too many lens flare, weird haze, lighting, and tint issues for me.

Also, missed the montage submission. I had two clips made so far and they were average at best. Just too early to really get those amazing or fun clips for me. Can't wait to see what you guys submitted though.

A day like today 14 years ago console shooter games would never be the same again, happy 14th birthday Halo Combat Evolved!

y2S3KML.jpg
I was such a Gamecube fanboy back then. I swore off the Xbox as a gimmick. My brother's girlfriend bought him one and Halo. He talked me into trying it. I still remember the moment I rode in the back of a Warthog. Changed my perspective entirely.

jelly

Sorry if I posted this here but I don't know where to put it :)

y2S3KML.jpg

Neat.

https://youtu.be/Pm2a-xxpou0

15 year Anniversary next year. Wonder if Microsoft will do anything for it.

Halo CE Anniversary Anniversary. I would buy it again if it was a better remaster with the old art style. Microsoft should redo the original trilogy to perfection. Kill the instant switch, make it an option in the menu.

So far since launch I've spent $200 on req packs. The thirst is real, but it still a blip on the radar compared to how much I've spent on other games like CSGO or GW2.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So far since launch I've spent $200 on req packs. The thirst is real, but it still a blip on the radar compared to how much I've spent on other games like CSGO or GW2.
Thank you for buying us dlc maps

Unstable

To think I felt like a whale dropping $60 worth of MS space bucks over the past few weeks.

Still not Speedy Blue Dude levels tho.

Jack, if I didn't already know that, you wouldn't have done a good job of convincing me. Most of the screenshots don't really illustrate your point well. Ghost Town's palette is very monotone compared to the maps you contrasted it with and it takes place in a completely different setting from a lighting/atmospherics perspective. The Pit example would work, but someone can just as easily walk away from that saying "eww, Halo 3 has no dynamic lighting, it looks like shit!" You need like settings and players in a scene to support it.

As designers have been given the technology and ability to insert more polygons and effects into any given scene, the level of readability in games - especially in shooters - has always been a careful balancing act. Levels have to "look" a certain way to fit the new industry standards, so it takes a deliberate approach to maintain a visually clear space while keeping the aesthetic appeal.

I don't agree with your criticism. Your argument falls apart if you put enemies in the environments you're looking at. So what, the lighting and atmosphere has changed and added extra detail? You can still see and shoot enemies just fine. If you're worried about lights drawing your attention in MP you're probably in the wrong place by the sounds of it.

The bloom lighting on Truth was complained about a lot during the beta and I wouldn't be so daft as to assume the issue has been resolved completely, especially when it exists in various other places in the multiplayer maps.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Can't wait for these dlc forge maps.

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to the new maps.
It's not even a month after launch. I'm pretty stoked to see 4 new maps, forge or otherwise, so soon. I'm liking the sustain model already, always something to look forward to.

RexNovis

Banned
Biggest factor is probably the MCC. We'll need to see total sales before making any good guesses on what this means for the future of the franchise. Are there any references for how crazy buggy releases impact sales of future titles? MS seemed pretty happy with it considering the 400mil figure, so from a pure revenue perspective it's doing okay. They're also selling REQ packs like gangbusters.

Day 1 on PC is likely, but that's due more to MS' overall strategy direction (one platform) than anything to do with Halo specifically.

What I really hope doesn't happen is that they take this as a sign that they need to take the gameplay in a really different direction. H5 is top-tier Halo, I'd like to see them refine rather than diverge. I really do believe that the sales decline is do to factors other than the quality of Halo 5.

Good question about the impact of buggy releases. It's worth mentioning that Assassins Creed Syndicate saw an 80+% decline over previous entries. No doubt this was also due to a glitchy release of Unity. So I would say they do have a big impact.

You're right that a bigger picture might help us draw more info from the situation. One possibility is that Halo sells quite well this holiday. It's just that past entries have never sold more than launch in subsequent months.

Yea I'm not really sure what the reaction might be gameplay wise with future entries. The possibility that I feel would be worst case scenario is to expand the implementation of Microtransactions within the game in order to encourage further profits. I don't honk that is too likely though. No doubt 343 knows the sort of reaction that would arise from such X a decision.

I agree with Jack on the lighting issue. There are some cases where I struggle to see the other team players on maps due to bloom and what not. Halo 3 was the perfect graphical level to me to recognize players quickly but unfortunately I guess I'll just have to get used to it. God, that Pit remake on Halo 4 was literally unplayable.

I think you are right

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/november-sneak-peek

I read that when it was originally posted, and I was thinking omorrow was the day too... Wishful thinking...

I do wish 343i could be better with dates and confirmations.

343 can be rightfully blamed for many things, but don't blame 343 for other people not reading their blog posts correctly. They always said week of November 16th, it's not their fault people didn't bother to look at anything more than the date.

Trup1aya

343 can be rightfully blamed for many things, but don't blame 343 for other people not reading their blog posts correctly. They always said week of November 16th, it's not their fault people didn't bother to look at anything more than the date.

Totally my fault for miss reading the blog post. I'm just saying I wish they weren't so nebulous when it comes to giving out information. How about a releases date for BTB maps?

Forge is out sometime in December... BTB is out sometime next week? Will we ever get infection, koth, oddball, juggernaut? Will we get non-forged DLC? So many questions.

So many questions.

RexNovis

Banned
Major contributing factors:

1) Alot of Halo fans moved to Destiny and it's hard to quit the game after you put so many hours farming "rare / epic" loot, at least that's how i felt when i played WoW.

2) All the other AAA games released close to Halo 5 (BLOPS , Fallout, Battlefront)

3) MCC

4) It's not casual friendly compared to other AAA FPS

All of these certainly contributed. Is this the what you feel is the order of importance? It's interesting you mention Destiny. Do you think the fact that it's a Bungie developed title may have played a big role in any sort of player migration from Halo?

It's worth mentioning that past releases saw CoD releasing shortly after Halo (within a month of Halo's release). Id say it's more likely that the holiday sales rush had a bigger impact than other bug releases. I think MS may have set a damning precedent for themselves last year that saw the majority of consumers waiting for those crazy discounts they saw last year. This is why I'm not 100% positive Halo will be a massive seller this holiday as so far it has not been a part of any holiday discounts or bundles.

I'm curious about what you mean when you say casual friendly. Could you perhaps elaborate a bit?

Fully agree with the criticism of the new lighting/fog direction.

Not to say there should never be bloom lighting or fog, it's just that there is way too much emphasis on it. If you remember Covenant crates etc. in Halo 4, they had all these bright green lights on them that really took away from the old textured look.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I strongly dislike the looks of the maps and I just honestly hope they can get changed in the next game or dlc packs. They just don't feel right to play on is the point.

As to what you are saying about Ghost town;s look and color pallete (since halo 3 doesn't have a lot of city like, randomized maps)

Ghost town is there more for level design and showing how wrong halo 5 gets is even the halo 3 bad maps have the halo design choices there.

I was trying to show the level design of similar styles with the city maps. I wasn't trying to purposely show halo 3 in a good light. If I was doing that I would have compared the better maps like guardian, narrows. Since Halo 5 only has a few distinct styled maps (city, round) I had to compare those and there isn't much else with that square city/town like design in halo 3. It mostly only has ghost town thankfully it doesn't have more maps like that. I don''t hate gost town, and I like one flag on it, but it obviously isn't a favoite of mine.

Comparing fathom and colisuem to narrows, guardian or even 2 or 3 other gray toned maps would be fine though. Some of those halo maps do have a lot of nice texture and geometry work that is missing in Halo 5. I may end up doing that when I have some time to burn

The point is, I am showing maps in halo 3 that do have design issues (color as well), and this only helps illustrate how bad the issues actually are in 343's engine.

We honestly can't be looking at the same pictures because graphically Halo 4 looks leaps and bounds better than Halo 3.
Technically maybe better, but the contrast in lights, shadows and colors make it hard to see and I just dont like it.

As for those of you saying fog and bloom doesnt get in the way cause your busy looking at enemies, well... the fog and lighting still block out enemies..... not sure how it isn't going to hinder you. You are trying to hard to defend it imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom