• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

I feel like people are misremembering the Beta's aiming. Yeah, it may have been more consistent compared to the launch version, but that didn't stop it from feeling wonky as shit to begin with. Thanks to the new settings I've had an easier time adjusting to the launch version's aiming, but I was just never able to click with the aiming in the beta for some reason.

Also: anyone who doesn't have their Y sensitivity higher than their X sensitivity is a babby that needs to ground pound more often. 6X-9Y for life
The beta definitely didn't feel wonky.
Maybe just to you, but there were absolutely no complaints about the betas aiming on any forums during that time.

Whereas for Halo 5 I can find posts on the day of the release complaining about the aiming.

IHaveIce

Banned
I feel like people are misremembering the Beta's aiming. Yeah, it may have been more consistent compared to the launch version, but that didn't stop it from feeling wonky as shit to begin with. Thanks to the new settings I've had an easier time adjusting to the launch version's aiming, but I was just never able to click with the aiming in the beta for some reason.

Also: anyone who doesn't have their Y sensitivity higher than their X sensitivity is a babby that needs to ground pound more often. 6X-9Y for life
Beta aiming was maybe different than past halos but was neither wonky nor heavy

clav

I'm not convinced dynamic scaling is the main culprit. H2A uses dynamic scaling and there aren't issues with the aiming there.

I thought H2A multiplayer is a modified H4 engine given the voice track + music, so no scaling and even sometimes extreme slowdown on Remnant (Relic remake). Not a solid 60 fps.

When the resolution changes, then wouldn't the X/Y input values change according to scale?

Fuchsdh

I thought H2A multiplayer is a modified H4 engine given the voice track + music, so no scaling and even sometimes extreme slowdown on Remnant (Relic remake). Not a solid 60 fps.

When the resolution changes, then wouldn't the X/Y input values change according to scale?

H2A doesn't have dynamic scaling. And the campaign is an anamorphic presentation.

clav

During Halo 5 beta, game cleared out its assets before + after every match.

In Halo 5 now, game only clears out when you return to main menu after a match. UI just draws over the match when it ends. It's also why 343 decided to hide UI switching between gametypes using LB/RB buttons after playing a match.

Fuchsdh

Ah well, got my 50-ish marine kills, a couple of reversals, and a few vehicle kills in.

Haven't double-checked the numbers this week but at our current pace we should be done with commendations in ~40 days.

Masterz1337

Neo Member
I thought it was a refinement of the blam! Engine that was used since reach?

It still is blam! but it's the most radical overhaul of it since the jump from H1->H2. The changes from H3->HR->H4 were relatively minor in comparison. Bungie also called Reach an all new engine at one point, which wasn't true either as much of it is still very much the same as H3.

I mean its not free, like at all after you reach like $10k profit

If Halo 6 doesn't make a profit 343i won't have to pay Epic.

afd.jpg_large

One shot city tonight. Server performance is terrible for me right now.

edit:
Turns out my Xbox was randomly set to a Strict NAT when it was open...weird...

PSA- when warzoning on Noctus, spawn a sniper rifle and safely camp at your base entrances... wait for those enemy vehicles for easy buckle ups

Fuchsdh

One shot city tonight. Server performance is terrible for me right now.

edit:
Turns out my Xbox was randomly set to a Strict NAT when it was open...weird...

Yeah I've had that randomly happen too. Makes me sad, especially since I kept on getting told by people that the XB1 would make NAT issues a thing of the past... were it so easy.

Scorpio looks cool. Hopefully it's $449 or less, and I might bite early. Be cool to see Halo 5 in its full-res glory and with improved texture filtering.

Yall ready for Halo 5 to be sub 4k on the scorpio? I dont think the dynamic res hit 900 that much right? was always around 7xx or something right? only a handful of MP matches it would stick at 1080p

i cant wait for the scorpio and to see how halo6 looks though. OMg im gonna love this so much

Trup1aya

Scorpio sounds amazing. I was originally disappointed by the cpu, but the dx12 specific hardware seems to have created efficiencies that will make the cpu relatively future proof for a while.

Fuchsdh

Scorpio sounds amazing. I was originally disappointed by the cpu, but the dx12 specific hardware seems to have created efficiencies that will make the cpu relatively future proof for a while.

Nah, this is barely better than the PS4 Pro! Jaguar = DOA, dontcha' know :)

Yall ready for Halo 5 to be sub 4k on the scorpio? I dont think the dynamic res hit 900 that much right? was always around 7xx or something right? only a handful of MP matches it would stick at 1080p

i cant wait for the scorpio and to see how halo6 looks though. OMg im gonna love this so much

I wonder if it'll get an update for 4K or not. On one hand, they're going to be pushing hard on Halo 6, on the other it is a first-party game.

Getting a 4K patch for HW2 seems more likely given that you can play it that way on PC right now and it's a newer title.

Karl2177

I wonder if it'll get an update for 4K or not. On one hand, they're going to be pushing hard on Halo 6, on the other it is a first-party game.

Getting a 4K patch for HW2 seems more likely given that you can play it that way on PC right now and it's a newer title.
Does anyone know if the PC version is true 4k or if it's just upsampling?

Maybe an update as an option for scorpio players to download. like a dlc pack available on the store for scorpio users. i imagine the pack will be HUGE in size. Either play it as is with dynamic res maxed constantly or download the pack.

Maybe gather some hype with that update and tease what a Halo 6 game could potentially look like with 4k assets, idk im just throwing stuff outta my arse. lol

Madness

Would be stupid not to have some enhancements for Halo 5 with the Scorpio. Halo 6 isn't coming anytime soon. Phil even said this E3 wasn't really about Halo or Gears. We'll probably get a teaser for H6 for next year.

I just cannot wait to see what they can do in terms of 4K and HDR with Halo 6.

wwm0nkey

Would be stupid not to have some enhancements for Halo 5 with the Scorpio. Halo 6 isn't coming anytime soon. Phil even said this E3 wasn't really about Halo or Gears. We'll probably get a teaser for H6 for next year.

I just cannot wait to see what they can do in terms of 4K and HDR with Halo 6.

Hopefully HDR monitors wont cost an arm and a leg when Halo 6 comes out.

Fuchsdh

Hopefully HDR monitors wont cost an arm and a leg when Halo 6 comes out.

Yeah, we'll see. My current setup is my Dell 4K display alongside my ASUS 1080p, and I can just switch inputs from my computer to my Xbox. My Dell doesn't have 4K@60 capabilities via HDMI, so it'd make more sense to upgrade the 1080p monitor, but I'd much rather get a nicer one with a wide-gamut, but all that tech still seems like it's still a ways from settling down. That's partially why the 1080p benefits are interesting to me; might buy a Scorpio a while before I upgrade the rest of my setup.

So it sounds like even if Halo 5 doesn't get some kind of patch for 4k support on Scorpio we'll still get 1080p and it will force 16x Anisotropic filtering. That should improve the image quality by a ton.

So it sounds like even if Halo 5 doesn't get some kind of patch for 4k support on Scorpio we'll still get 1080p and it will force 16x Anisotropic filtering. That should improve the image quality by a ton.
Now that you mention it, so that means we would see the half frame animations even bettet now? Itll be interesting to see how they react to the scorpio. Im excited

Fuchsdh

Now that you mention it, so that means we would see the half frame animations even bettet now? Itll be interesting to see how they react to the scorpio. Im excited

Hmm, I actually hadn't considered that. I assume that's mostly locked in to draw distances so I dunno any way that could improve out of the box.

Yea theoretically we would just see the same animations with the textures that are used only at close range on the game right now. I wonder if it would be difficult to get rid of the 30fps ranged animations on Scorpio? Probably way outside the scope of any work that would be done to Halo 5 at this point.

Hmm, I actually hadn't considered that. I assume that's mostly locked in to draw distances so I dunno any way that could improve out of the box.

Yea theoretically we would just see the same animations with the textures that are used only at close range on the game right now. I wonder if it would be difficult to get rid of the 30fps ranged animations on Scorpio? Probably way outside the scope of any work that would be done to Halo 5 at this point.

So i think it may be safe to say that the CU for halo 5 in Holiday 2017 will house Scorpio improvements. :p .. naaah they will just leave it and focus on that halo 6 reveal and beta.

Come on stinkles - i know you're reading this... :p just hit submit reply.

Oh, it would be awesome to see if Scorpios would be used as the xbox console for HCS tournaments. all that powa

O_O

Fuchsdh

Without having someone who coded talk about it I don't think there's any way of knowing how easy or hard it is. It could be something very much integral to a bunch of systems, like how you couldn't mess with the locked 30fps animations in CE without screwing a bunch of other stuff. Or it could be nearly as trivial as changing some lines of code in a config file. At this point I'd very much like Halo 5 to be a more stable system, not a less stable one, so if we don't get prettier Marines in Warzone I'm not going to fuss (makes it easier to shoot at them for the commendation.)
#ForTheCompany

The draw-distance animation caps aren't exclusively 30fps - they actually continuously drop to further fractions of your overall framerate based on how far they are away from you. An easy way to see it is by going to the Kraken fight, taking a Phaeton as high as you possibly can, and then looking down at the enemies on the deck. They'll still update positions and whatnot at a refresh rate of 1x, but the animations slow down to like 4-5fps in some places. I have to imagine that's a programming thing and not an outright rendering engine thing, though, so I would think it'd be possible to adjust if the hardware could handle it.

TCKaos

The draw-distance animation caps aren't exclusively 30fps - they actually continuously drop to further fractions of your overall framerate based on how far they are away from you. An easy way to see it is by going to the Kraken fight, taking a Phaeton as high as you possibly can, and then looking down at the enemies on the deck. They'll still update positions and whatnot at a refresh rate of 1x, but the animations slow down to like 4-5fps in some places. I have to imagine that's a programming thing and not an outright rendering engine thing, though, so I would think it'd be possible to adjust if the hardware could handle it.

This is super visible in the Husky Raid video I made a while ago.

HTupolev

Things won't scale unless they're designed to scale with dynamic load already.

Things like draw distances are usually not based on dynamic load, and in these cases changing it would require modifications to the game itself.

Top Bottom