• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

So when the CPU get stressed (which at 1080p 60fps is all the time) the aim turns into a mini RNG generator....Ohhh boy. Explains why the beta aiming was flawless, it was locked at 720p 60fps. Scorpio version=working aim confirmed.

So when the CPU get stressed (which at 1080p 60fps is all the time) the aim turns into a mini RNG generator....Ohhh boy. Explains why the beta aiming was flawless, it was locked at 720p 60fps. Scorpio version=working aim confirmed.

I agree the beta aim was amazing. Felt so tight and gave a warm fuzzy feeling when you finished a perfect headshot.

.... the good ol.days lmao

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

doesnt the pc now aim considerably better as well?

guess i'm buying a scorpio. never realized it would be THIS to push me over the edge :p

Madness

How do you guys even remember the beta aiming? But that is pretty detailed to show the aim. How crazy is it that unlocking REQ's can possibly affect your aim?

Gwyn

what if 343 already knows about heavy aim but they never said so because it's impossible to fix it with how the game is built..?

hope that's not the case though and they sort it out soon

op_ivy

what if 343 already knows about heavy aim but they never said so because it's impossible to fix it with how the game is built..?

hope that's not the case though and they sort it out soon

i'm sure they would have communicated that to the community

:kappa

How do you guys even remember the beta aiming? But that is pretty detailed to show the aim. How crazy is it that unlocking REQ's can possibly affect your aim?

from getting plenty of perfects to having squirrly aim even after adjusting the advanced settings is more than enough for me to remember. plus i recorded vids of myself during the beta and i aim much better than what i show today. i look like a blind clown getting lucky with my shots. and my nade game was much better in the beta too. idk how many times i underthrow nades in h5 now.

TCKaos

There's no way they can patch this, right? This is a fundamental error on the engine-level. What are they gonna do, give us the option to lock the game at 720p and the ability to lock out our REQs?

This is terrible and hilarious. Is it too soon for a new gaming side thread?

Now with this info ... i kinda hope they made a new engine for halo 6. i mean they are smart enough to translate the movement of spartans and weapon balance into a new engine. probably allow more refinement too, if possible.

i dont want halo 5 graphics upped by 50% i need that 4x boost ;) ya feel me?

Now with this info ... i kinda hope they made a new engine for halo 6. i mean they are smart enough to translate the movement of spartans and weapon balance into a new engine. probably allow more refinement too, if possible.

Halo 5 looks weak because the hardware it was designed to run on is weak, and they put 60fps a priority. With sufficient hardware the engine is definitely capable of doing a lot of wonderful things. If Halo 4 on Xbox 360 was any indication, 343's engine team is no slotch.

Someone has modified his controller and created a way to demonstrate 'heavy aim'

343 done goofed

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/15295-i-have-devised-a-way-to-demonstrate-heavy-aim/#entry932923

The fuck what is this relevation.

Halo 5 looks weak because the hardware it was designed to run on is weak, and they put 60fps a priority. With sufficient hardware the engine is definitely capable of doing a lot of wonderful things.
Yup the XBone was underpowered when it released. Same goes for the PS4, just less so. Really all 3 dropped the ball on this go around. That's why we have the Pro, Switch and Scorpio so soon. To be fair the 360/PS3 also lasted longer than average.

belushy

Banned
There's no way they can patch this, right? This is a fundamental error on the engine-level. What are they gonna do, give us the option to lock the game at 720p and the ability to lock out our REQs?

Do it. More heat, more likely changes happen.

Jk but I think it might spark interesting discussion with the gaming side folk.

Also jk.

Halo 5 looks weak because the hardware it was designed to run on is weak, and they put 60fps a priority. With sufficient hardware the engine is definitely capable of doing a lot of wonderful things. If Halo 4 on Xbox 360 was any indication, 343's engine team is no slotch.

The fuck what is this relevation.

The only gripe i have is that when i seen Halo 5 on pc with 4k screens .. it doesnt impress me as i would have hoped! Halo 4 was an amazing thing to witness on the 360. Now with Halo 5 the bar only went up a few+ notches when i was expecting it to go to the next level.

Anywho, i do trust them as being wizards, but i really do hope we get something really beautiful with halo 6.

jem0208

Are we sure that Halo 5 uses the same rumble pattern on every shot? If that's what's driving the virtual look input, and Halo 5 subtly varies the rumble, that could cause the look variance rather than inconsistent aiming.

I was thinking this. It's a bit weird that it seems to jump to one of 3 specific points ever time. You'd think if it was random latency there'd be more variance.

A better control would be Halo 4.

Also heavy aim isn't an inconsistency in sensitivity, it's input lag. Input lag isn't going to change how far your reticule moves.

Madness

I mean if you want 40 pages of fuck MS, get 343 to make other games, Halo is past its prime, should drop out of the console business, rinse repeat sure.

Damn I agree the aiming on the beta was soooo good also I'm the only one that preferred the lighting of the beta?

op_ivy

probably already seen by most of you, but Unyshek already responded at TB:

"Thanks for creating such an excellent post! I can't make any promises, but I can tell you that our Sandbox team has seen this post, and is looking over it as we speak. Thanks again, Mib!"

jem0208

Alright, I'm not gunna claim heavy aim doesn't exist again. I have felt it recently and the fact that the pros complained about it at worlds is pretty bad. I was wrong to say it was just placebo.

That said, this new modded controller thing isn't proof of anything. First of all we're pretty sure heavy aim is input lag, this shows an inconsistent distance in which the reticule moves. To use something I posted on Beyond:

If you hold a button for 50ms the game is always going to receive an input which lasts 50ms, regardless of whether you have 0ms or 100ms of input lag. The difference is how long it takes for that input to be displayed on the screen. Input lag won't cause an inconsistency if the amount of time a button is pressed is always constant.

Let's say that the reticule moves 45 degrees if you hold the stick for 50ms. Assuming the controller always rumbles for 50ms (which isn't something we should assume and the reason this doesn't prove all that much), the reticule will always move 45 degrees, regardless of how much input lag there is.

If this is caused by heavy aim it shows that heavy aim is not input lag, which is weird because that's exactly what heavy aim seems to be.

Secondly, this could be just as likely proving that H5 doesn't always use the same rumble pattern. Especially when you consider that it seems to always jump to one of three spots. With a random change you'd see more variance. Until we can prove that H5 always uses the same rumble pattern this doesn't prove much.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, who says the rumble when shooting is always the same?
you have to prove that is consistent first.

Not saying the aiming is ok, but I'm not convinced by that test either.

op_ivy

Yeah that's what I was thinking, who says the rumble when shooting is always the same?
you have to prove that is consistent first.

Not saying the aiming is ok, but I'm not convinced by that test either.

well, 343 would certainly know. and they are looking into this.

probably already seen by most of you, but Unyshek already responded at TB:

"Thanks for creating such an excellent post! I can't make any promises, but I can tell you that our Sandbox team has seen this post, and is looking over it as we speak. Thanks again, Mib!"

Also means

We aren't/can't fixing shit

Cranster

Banned

You seem to forget that the reason Halo 5 lacked content at launch was because they spent a good chunk of development time building a new engine. I would rather they improve/optimize the current engine so we can actually have a huge chunk of content at launch.

You seem to forget that the reason Halo 5 lacked content at launch was because they spent a good chunk of development time building a new engine. I would rather they improve/optimize the current engine so we can actually have a huge chunk of content at launch.

I thought it was a refinement of the blam! Engine that was used since reach?

Voho

I thought it was a refinement of the blam! Engine that was used since reach?

It still is, at least in part. Commonly, what developers dub a new engine generally isn't completely "new" since the old engine did basic things well that'd be ridiculous to code from scratch. It was just a really, really in depth overhaul of most of it's systems to prepare for the Xbox One and next generation development.

The latency stuff being related to cloud fuckery isn't really surprising, if true. At any rate, I'd rather them get a handle on all of this e-hardware allocation stuff at this point so that we have a smoother experience later down the line with the ability to do cool cloud stuff (spartan drivatar bots pls), rather than not and then start rapidly eating shit once infrastructure starts supporting online in a greater capacity than it does off.

wonder if the aiming shit has to do with the dynamic scaling (halo 5 has that right?)

It's a possibility, but things like framerate, tickrate and networking are ultimately going to be more of a factor with that. It's hard to say due to split-screen not being a thing, but at the end of the day the aiming depends on the player being able to move / look around in physical space in-engine, rather than the other way around. If resolution impacts framerate, it's a possibility for sure, but aspect ratios notwithstanding you aren't going to see a huge change in aiming parity between resolutions because that's just the output of the in-game camera, while aiming relies on the input for it.

I feel like people are misremembering the Beta's aiming. Yeah, it may have been more consistent compared to the launch version, but that didn't stop it from feeling wonky as shit to begin with. Thanks to the new settings I've had an easier time adjusting to the launch version's aiming, but I was just never able to click with the aiming in the beta for some reason.

Also: anyone who doesn't have their Y sensitivity higher than their X sensitivity is a babby that needs to ground pound more often. 6X-9Y for life

IHaveIce

Banned
It means exactly what he said. Nothing more.
Is what Unyshek posted really implying you guys did not know this already?

I just found it interesting because we the community finally have an answer 343 did not give at least never explained it.

Though I can't think of a game with a less consistent aiming than H5..such a disaster.

Also proves jem wrong

clav

I think aiming imprecision is caused by engine resizing the resolution dependent on number of particles/triangles/polygons appearing onto the screen. When a player zooms or moves or when new objects appear, resolution changes. Engine sacrifices everything to keep 60 fps as it was a E3 promise.

Nothing 343 can do except dumb down the game graphics more for a locked 900p or even 720p experience. That's why you don't see this problem on the Xbox 360 Halo games.

Players who want a better Halo 5 experience have to save up for Scorpio unless resolution resizes are hardcoded to a number constant regardless of console.

That person needs to do the test again on Halo 5 Forge for PC.

I feel like people are misremembering the Beta's aiming. Yeah, it may have been more consistent compared to the launch version, but that didn't stop it from feeling wonky as shit to begin with. Thanks to the new settings I've had an easier time adjusting to the launch version's aiming, but I was just never able to click with the aiming in the beta for some reason.

Beta's engine was definitely different, so dynamic resolution may have been coded less aggressively on those few maps. Did everyone forget about that dev video look that showed a dynamic resolution fluctuating in the bottom right hand corner?

Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1067767

DigitalFoundry analysis (done by dark10x): https://youtu.be/-gQMulb6T2o

wonder if the aiming shit has to do with the dynamic scaling

I think so. I had trouble playing Doom 2016 as aiming felt off when going to a different corner when transitioning to rendering a small portion to a huge arena and back and forth.

Luckily, I only borrowed the game, so I'm glad I was able to try it out when a vocal portion of GAF kept saying it was GOTY.

Top Bottom