• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Detective

Played for the millions times Halo 1-3 campaign and Reach with bunch of friends who never touched the Campaign before, had a great time. And we started 4 and 5. They couldn't finish them, You never know how fucking boring they are until you played what was before. Specially 5, it's gotta be one of the most mediocre campaigns I've ever played.

The quality between Past halos and now halos is heaven and earth.

Also my first match for today : http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Killion/video/29099407

18 months and this shit still happens.
Fucking amateur stuff.

jem0208

I think I've replayed H5 more than any of the other Halo campaigns... If you take into account that it's been out for far less time.

CyReN

I think I've played Halo 4 - 2 1/2 times and Halo 5 - 1-1/4 times, played the others at least 5 times a piece. Something about 343i campaigns isn't good for replaying for me.

Ill stick to traditional slayer and earn my sneaks instead of having to wonder if my 6 is okay and if the enemy will just slide-fly to my rear with their ar on blast.

I retake my vote on thinking ability tracker would be better for me personally.

Plus its more rewarding when i can slide sneak with a flank as i crouch at the threshold instead of going full walk speed not giving a fuck about punishment except of what im about to dish out to them.

Trup1aya

Halo5s campaign had some really fun moments. But every time the Prometheans show up, it becomes a chore. Horrendous enemies to fight... they don't fit it the halo sandbox at all.

I didn't really like H4s campaign for the same reason.

Narratively, I don't really like either, but H5 is by far the worst in the series.

I've only played through H4 and 5 once each. Though I have revisited som H5 levels.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Halo5s campaign had some really fun moments. But every time the Prometheans show up, it becomes a chore. Horrendous enemies to fight... they don't fit it the halo sandbox at all.

I didn't really like H4s campaign for the same reason.

Narratively, I don't really like either, but H5 is by far the worst in the series.

I've only played through H4 and 5 once each. Though I have revisited som H5 levels.

Same. And going back to ce the other day, it's sad how much the elite ai has deteriorated

Trup1aya

Same. And going back to ce the other day, it's sad how much the elite ai has deteriorated

Yeah I really don't get this. It's like as console power increased CPU cycles went towards more enemies instead of smarter ones.

All of the enemies in H5 are dumb as bricks, but the covies are fun to fight because their damage models fit the sandbox like a glove.

belushy

Banned
Naded, Suspector, El town, and Trippey are now a team. Can't link because I'm using mobile, but Naded tweeted it out recently.

CE and Reach Elites are the best. And speaking of Elites, we need Invasion 2.0 --
  • Team of Spartans w/ specific loadouts/classes vs a team of player-controlled enemies ranging from Covenant to Banished to Prometheans.
  • Include tiers for enemy factions and have different objectives depending on maps (e.g. arm a bomb, capturing an object (CTF), controlling points, moving an object along a path like Overwatch's Payload, etc.).
I think this could be one way to get tired Halo fans, those who lost interest over the years, back on board.

I went back to CE as well (I frequently do) and I agree.

Overall, I have felt with every new Halo release that Halo CE is still the gold standard for what I enjoy from the series.

I'm not fan-boying either. There hasn't been a game like it since.

I don't hate H5's campaign. Had some really well designed fights and level design. It's the writing and narrative that prevents me from returning for playthroughs...

If anything ex-wife showed me how cool the speedruns of H5 are!

HTupolev

Halo 1's enemies aren't smart or complex, they mostly sell themselves as intelligent entities by being very expressive and readable. Simplicity is crucial for that. They're also pretty predictable, which is useful to Halo 1's gunplay; battles are realtime puzzles to be solved.

Trup1aya

Halo 1's enemies aren't smart or complex, they mostly sell themselves as intelligent entities by being very expressive and readable. Simplicity is crucial for that. They're also pretty predictable, which is useful to Halo 1's gunplay; battles are realtime puzzles to be solved.

THAT IS video game AI in a nutshell. And it's something that has been lost since Reach.

It seems that Elites have lost peices of their tactical arsenal. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like they retreat, and regroup any more. They are fully committed to each individual engagement.

One thing I remember specifically happening in both CE and Reach is an Elite would back off until I forget about him, then end up surprising me when my focus was elsewhere.

I don't remember much about 4 (only played it once) but in 5, the elites are much more straight forward. If they spot you, they engage you till you or they are dead. The difficultly comes purely from the number of elites in the room. That said they are as predictable and expressive as ever- since they use the exact same tells they always have.

Great post as always.

I remember hearing even Frankie post how making them hyper accurate and intelligent is fairly trivial, but making them imperfect in a fun and convincing way is very difficult.

NOKYARD

This is almost poetic.

However, it seems fixed now. Unlike that other thing.
Yes, it ended with only 2 pixels out of place.

Unlike the other thing.

[edit] Here's the full r/place final. We're on the right side about 1/3 of the way down.

ajWiAYi.png

TCKaos

Matchmaking Feedback Update - April 3

SWAT is still taking too long to match for some
The setting we have for SWAT right now is about as loose as I dare without allowing, e.g., Gold vs. Champ, which I don’t think anyone wants. You could try searching expanded, or search doing global peak times.

Bro, I think when your answer to an empty playlist is "Wait until there are more people on to play," then I think it's about time you retired it to start consolidating.

Matchmaking Feedback Update - April 3

Bro, I think when your answer to an empty playlist is "Wait until there are more people on to play," then I think it's about time you retired it to start consolidating.
Stinkles, dawg.. It's not fair you can have a SWAT playlist all to yourself, but CE fans can't even get a dang 3v3/4v4 playlist or two BTB playlists to separate Halo 3 ._.
  • BTB Alpha: CE, H2A, H4
  • BTB Omega: H2, H3
This is HUGE.

One of our scripters stinger05189 figured out how to grab and place items in game mode.

Apparently the objects do not need scripts, only their spawn order changed, in order to target them. This is thread worthy.

https://youtu.be/7X2hsVlzkpc
Crazy! Just imagine the potential. And fixed*

Karl2177

Stinkles, dawg.. It's not fair you can have a SWAT playlist all to yourself, but CE fans can't even get a dang 3v3/4v4 playlist or two BTB playlists to separate Halo 3 ._.

It's because MCC isn't a glass cannon, it's a glass toilet. One change could shatter the whole shitter.

Karl2177

Better to leave it empty and broken then.
I haven't been able to find a match the last 3 times I've loaded it up and I'm searching in TS, BTB, and H3, which are supposedly 3 of the top 5 lists.

They should release CEA, H2A, H3, ODST, and H4 as standalone games. It'll never happen. The resources won't exist and Microsoft/343i won't acknowledge it anymore aside from "The Master Chief Collection is still on our radar." My gut tells me that the biggest issue is the engine switching causing players to enter limbo.

I hate having to play Halo 3 all the time in cross game playlists. One of the reasons I don't play MCC. CE should be 3v3.

I haven't been able to find a match the last 3 times I've loaded it up and I'm searching in TS, BTB, and H3, which are supposedly 3 of the top 5 lists.

They should release CEA, H2A, H3, ODST, and H4 as standalone games. It'll never happen. The resources won't exist and Microsoft/343i won't acknowledge it anymore aside from "The Master Chief Collection is still on our radar." My gut tells me that the biggest issue is the engine switching causing players to enter limbo.

MS need a halo FPS for Scorpio. What they could have done all this time is put some time into fixing MCC and updating it for 4k and Scorpio instead of wasting all this time just 'having it on their radar'.

Top Bottom