• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians revealed - more at E3 - Fall 2015 [Box Art person is new guy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched Spartan Ops. They really need better writers for the main storyline or something. Halos storyline is always part wow and part wtf.

jem0208

Publishers have a direct say on gameplay mechanics. Activision themselves told IW back in COD4 Modern Warfare to remove recoil in multiplayer because their focus test groups said it wasn't fun.

However, they left the recoil in on the single player campaign, but it's removed in multiplayer.

Publishers dictate more than you think when it comes to game design.

I cannot see MS ever dictating that 343 must put ADS into Halo. It's just something completely foreign to the series and would alienate the fanbase, they know this.

Seeing as Halo 4 basically included everything from COD except ADS...it wouldn't surprise me at all if they incorporated it in.

Hundreds of thousands of Halo fans would hate it, however, there are millions of new gamers who probably never played Halo and their first console FPS game was COD, so anything not ADS would feel foreign and out of place to them.

I just hope they stick to their core and not cave-in to the COD pie in the sky.

Oh that's a load of bullshit. Perks and loadouts are not what makes CoD.

CoD is defined by twitch shooting and almost instant kill times.

Halo is a completely different beast, it's a somewhat slow and methodical shooter where the person who initiates the firefight isn't guaranteed to win 95% of the time.

Halo 4 had the basic Halo gameplay nailed down. It just had a bunch of pointless fluff as well.

MormaPope

Banned
What I don't get is some Halo fans are hyped for Destiny, which has ADS and Halo 1-3 gunplay, but if Halo 5 has ADS you're done with the series?

What? Also who is to say that not aiming with ADS isn't as efficient as aiming from the hip with the same general accuracy? Basically, aiming from the hip = all close and mid quarters combat, using ADS gets you whacked. Long range combat? Use ADS.

Shit, ADS would be better than using the magnify eye and not seeing your surroundings whatsoever.

Oh that's a load of bullshit. Perks and loadouts are not what makes CoD.

CoD is defined by twitch shooting and almost instant kill times.

Halo is a completely different beast, it's a somewhat slow and methodical shooter where the person who initiates the firefight isn't guaranteed to win 95% of the time.

Halo 4 had the basic Halo gameplay nailed down. It just had a bunch of pointless fluff as well.

In single player. Multiplayer is just as reflex based as any other shooter. Sure, movement speed is slower, but that doesn't deprioritize one's aiming and reflexes. No scoping with any sniping weapon you need fast reflexes, twisting around and throwing a grenade perfectly asks for great reflexes and speed.

antigoon

Please, PLEASE no ADS. That would be such an awful step for a series that has strayed SO MUCH in trying to chase the nonexistent COD magic.

The past few Halo releases have just been shoveling more and more useless garbage ontop of what used to be a GREAT competitive multiplayer shooter. I'd like them to step back and reevaluate the entire thing for once.

MormaPope

Banned
Please, PLEASE no ADS. That would be such an awful step for a series that has strayed SO MUCH in trying to chase the nonexistent COD magic.

The past few Halo releases have just been shoveling more and more useless garbage ontop of what used to be a GREAT competitive multiplayer shooter. I'd like them to step back and reevaluate the entire thing for once.

It isn't chasing CoD magic, its ditching a aiming system that's existed since 2001.

ARMA has ADS for christ sakes, is that series chasing CoD magic?

ADS wouldn't even work with the amount of health you have in Halo. If they went ADS lower health or not, ADS in general, well then, that seriously warrants being really really angry.

Regardless, I don't believe at all that it will happen. It's truly not a Halo game anymore after that. The devs aren't that stupid.

oh, we're doing the subtitle thing now

well I'm out.

First game had a subtitle. Halo 5 is actually Halo 10, so subtitles help.

It isn't chasing CoD magic, its ditching a aiming system that's existed since 2001.

Existed and worked since 2001. Putting it in now - especially after perks, killstreaks, instant respawn and kill cams - wouldn't exactly be a coincidence.

MormaPope

Banned
ADS wouldn't even work with the amount of health you have in Halo. If they went ADS lower health or not, ADS in general, well then, that seriously warrants being really really angry.

Regardless, I don't believe at all that it will happen. It's truly not a Halo game anymore after that. The devs aren't that stupid.

Mario should've never gotten punches in Mario 64, fuck that shit I say, that shit ain't Mario.

Orayn

Color me surprised about the new character being male, the cover art looks really similar to the design language they've been using for female Spartans.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just FYI, since you posted this with no source, if this doesn't come true, you're the source.
He's just regurgitating obviously false rumors so we can all laugh at them. Go easy on him, make it a two year ban.

MormaPope

Banned
Existed and worked since 2001. Putting it in now - especially after perks, killstreaks, instant respawn and kill cams, wouldn't exactly be a coincidence.

What if they took those things out and added in ADS.

Also, people usually love to put all of that shit on 343's head, but Reach was the starting point for more "modernization" in Halo. Classes, class abilities, weapon layouts, sprinting, Bungie started it, 343 continued it.

ADS in Halo would be like a Mario game that requires you to run at full speed or your jumps are 1/4 of the normal height.

What if weapon recoil in ADS mode is weighty and bobbly? What if there was very little lock on and high accuracy? What if your controller sensitivity doesn't change the speed of ADS?

Assuming ADS being added into Halo as some sort of dooms day scenario for Halo is easy. Its more interesting to think about what can be done differently with ADS.

What I don't get is some Halo fans are hyped for Destiny, which has ADS and Halo 1-3 gunplay, but if Halo 5 has ADS you're done with the series?

What? Also who is to say that not aiming with ADS isn't as efficient as aiming from the hip with the same general accuracy? Basically, aiming from the hip = all close and mid quarters combat, using ADS gets you whacked. Long range combat? Use ADS.

Shit, ADS would be better than using the magnify eye and not seeing your surroundings whatsoever.

In single player. Multiplayer is just as reflex based as any other shooter. Sure, movement speed is slower, but that doesn't deprioritize one's aiming and reflexes. No scoping with any sniping weapon you need fast reflexes, twisting around and throwing a grenade perfectly asks for great reflexes and speed.

Agree with the bold. I get it, people were so cut in the ass over H4 they figured Bungie would be their "next" Halo. Bungie has gone out of its way to make Destiny anything buy Halo so it makes no sense to give them praise for something they have not even released yet. The more of Destiny I see the more I think I will hate it.

Adding ADS to say the BR means its not the BR anymore. You can't drastically change the mechanics like that and have it be the same weapon. 343 isn't stupid, there isn't any reason to add ADS. I think they (and hopefully MS) have learned they are not getting the CoD crowd. Just be Halo and everything will be fine.

jem0208

I never said it wasn't reflex based, it obviously is. I'm saying that the game plays completely differently to CoD. Loadouts and perks don't make it a Sci-fi CoD clone.

pswii60

• RPG mechanics
  • ADS
  • Open world
  • Female lead
  • 1920x720
  • Cloud processing
  • Multiple worlds to visit
  • 2 flavors of MP, War Arena and Battlefield

Shiiiii
This is exactly what a new gen Halo should be doing, but I doubt MS would be that ballsy to give the green light on what would inevitably be a much larger project than another scripted linear game.

Also, people usually love to put all of that shit on 343's head, but Reach was the starting point for more "modernization" in Halo. Classes, class abilities, weapon layouts, sprinting, Bungie started it, 343 continued it.

Reach was the Destiny beta to me. I don't believe Bungie really cared much about Halo anymore at that point. It also to me marks when they started to get this superiority tone about them. Remember, they didn't want to make Halo anymore. That's why they left.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wait what? This is that fake pastebin from last year. I thought my previous post made that clear. It was a joke, albeit a poorly explained one.
Wow, he's talking back now. Better make it a three year ban.

lol #savefracas

jem0208

Mario should've never gotten punches in Mario 64, fuck that shit I say, that shit ain't Mario.

I can't believe people are actually arguing for ADS in this thread...

Changing the aiming system for an FPS completely changes the gameplay. Adding the ability to punch in Mario does not.

Fool that follows and all that. Reach could at least be excused as a spinoff. The things I mentioned (including a control scheme named fishstick) were not in Reach. The CoD influence was never very subtle.

What if weapon recoil in ADS mode is weighty and bobbly? What if there was very little lock on and high accuracy? What if your controller sensitivity doesn't change the speed of ADS?

Assuming ADS being added into Halo as some sort of dooms day scenario for Halo is easy. Its more interesting to think about what can be done differently with ADS.

Sure, we can try to think of ways to make it function differently, but the real question is why? Why does Halo need ADS? I can understand that if there's going to be larger game modes, they'd want to extend the ranges of the autos somewhat; however, outside of that, it still seems unnecessary considering that the weapons most players would use at range already have functioning scopes.

Popnbake

Color me surprised about the new character being male, the cover art looks really similar to the design language they've been using for female Spartans.

Yes, that design really suits a female spartan better.

Even a Forbes contributor thought we're having a female main character in a Halo series which would have been exciting to see when this
artwork was first revealed.

MormaPope

Banned
I can't believe people are actually arguing for ADS in this thread...

Changing the aiming system for an FPS completely changes the gameplay. Adding the ability to punch in Mario does not.

It matters how its implemented. If it only drastically changes long range combat? Great, I'm tired of Robocop vision. If it completely ruins close and mid ranged combat? They fucked up.

Fool that follows and all that. Reach could at least be excused as a spinoff. The things I mentioned (including a control scheme named fishstick) were not in Reach. The CoD influence was never very subtle.

Sure, we can try to think of ways to make it function differently, but the real question is why? Why does Halo need ADS? I can understand that if there's going to be larger game modes, they'd want to extend the ranges of the autos somewhat; however, outside of that, it still seems unnecessary considering that the weapons most players would use at range already have functioning scopes.

To change up long range combat mainly, which has always felt not nearly as good as close range or mid range combat.

blows my damn mind how people don't see how negatively ads would effect halo balance and the sandbox and how foreign an experience halo 5 with ads would be

be glad these people ain't making games. ads ain't something you just drop into a game willy nilly.

It matters how its implemented. If it only drastically changes long range combat? Great, I'm tired of Robocop vision. If it completely ruins close and mid ranged combat? They fucked up.

what's your implementation suggestion to enable the former without causing the latter

i can dig it but i can't envision it

You're looking at it the wrong way.

CoD is huge, The design choices made for Halo 4 multiplayer clearly try too ape features that 343i assumed correctly or not made people enjoy the CoD experience. Instant Respawn, Killstreaks, On screen text popups etc.

Early in Halo 4's prerelease people were incredibly worried it would detract from the experience they like and also not do a good enough job of aping Call of Duty to keep a new player base. Low and behold that is what happened. Big time Halo fans shunned the game and CoD kids dropped it quickly.

The game was essentially dead a few months after launch.

The CoD crowd is fickle you can't just "win" them over. Halo was big because it was relatively unique. You start removing that and it feels like one of those awful "Halo Killers" that enter the market and phase out in a week like Section 8.

ADS is something that fans passionately don't want and if 343i are not going for them they are going for the casual (for lack of a better word) fans and that will bring in sales in the millions but it wont retain them.

Core fans felt like they got the short end of the stick with H4 and they don't want that with Halo 5.

It doesn't matter what game ADS started in, CoD because of it's impact is now the de facto ADS game

MormaPope

Banned
blows my damn mind how people don't see how negatively ads would effect halo balance and the sandbox and how foreign an experience halo 5 with ads would be

be glad these people ain't making games. ads ain't something you just drop into a game willy nilly.

Gotta love toxic comments like this.

You're looking at it the wrong way.

CoD is huge, The design choices made for Halo 4 multiplayer clearly try too ape features that 343i assumed correctly or not made people enjoy the CoD experience. Instant Respawn, Killstreaks, On screen text popups etc.

Early in Halo 4's prerelease people were incredibly worried it would detract from the experience they like and also not do a good enough job of aping Call of Duty to keep a new player base. Low and behold that is what happened. Big time Halo fans shunned the game and CoD kids dropped it quickly.

The game was essentially dead a few months after launch.

The CoD crowd is fickle you can't just "win" them over. Halo was big because it was relatively unique. You start removing that and it feels like one of those awful "Halo Killers" that enter the market and phase out in a week like Section 8.

ADS is something that fans passionately don't want and if 343i are not going for them they are going for the casual (for lack of a better word) fans and that will bring in sales in the millions but it wont retain them.

Core fans felt like they got the short end of the stick with H4 and they don't want that with Halo 5.

It doesn't matter what game ADS started in, CoD because of it's impact is now the de facto ADS game

As a big Halo fan, I wouldn't mind ADS if done respectfully. I'm not arguing the chances of that happening, what I'm saying is it is possible for ADS to be added in and not ruin what Halo does. Now, if Halo straight up has CoD ADS added in with no consideration or thought about its design, that would be terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom