• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians will be available to download and play FOR FREE 6.29 - 7.5

SOR5

Also maybe check out the new forge whilst you guys are at it

Forge is great
maxresdefault.jpg

SMG

This is a really good initiative; good on MS for doing this. I'm probably never going to own an Xbone, but Halo is the one MS series I consistently miss. There's just nothing else quite like it on consoles, and I even enjoyed Halo 4for the most part.
Same here. I was going to pick up a 1 in a few years and get all the classic games cheaply. Now with the play everywhere stuff I'll buy the games as they come sadly missing out on Overdrive and H5. A game that seemingly gets better by the month.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I can only get an average of 1MB (not bit!) per second dl speed on XBL, I wonder how long (hours/days) will it take before letting me start the campaign? lol

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
You are looking at a pretty long download time according to this if you get the digital version. Around 3-4 days
http://www.gadgethelpline.com/how-long-does-it-take-to-download-an-xbox-one-game/

You can't play the game until it's fully installed to your harddrive.

LOL, luckily you're sorely mistaken.
Thanks for the reply but again, I even specified it, I said MB not Mb. It should take 20hours at the most if it's 80GB.

So Halo 5 is one of those games which doesn't let you start the campaign before it's fully downloaded?

jem0208

Thanks for the reply but again, I even specified it, I said MB not Mb. It should take 20hours at the most if it's 80GB.

So Halo 5 is one of those games which doesn't let you start the campaign before it's fully downloaded?

Including the latest update it's probably going to be closer to 90GB so you're looking at around 25 hours...

Still much better than 3-4 days,

I refuse to believe they counted forge maps.

Well they did count the 5 launch forge maps for Breakout as well as Pegasus and Orion. So I wouldn't put it past 343i to use forge maps that they didn't even create to be apart of that 15 post launch maps that they promised to bring.

Prologue

Not to be ungrateful or anything, but shouldn't this treatment be done for the master chief collection so that new life can be put into it, after that whole debacle?

RoKKeR

Oh wow, very cool. I have a lot of Halo 5 content to catch up on when I get back later this summer. 343's support for this game has been amazing.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Interesting gamble. I guess 343 are banking on people loving the multiplayer enough to pony up the dough?

Because that's more than enough time to 100% the campaign and it's related achievements.

All about that pve hype. All bets are on firefight. I bet 343i is sweating bullets hoping this injects the population by a good percentage and keeps them in their mau.

Im pretty excited to dip into some more ff with the beta improvements.

Tuesday stream will be nice to watch and get a sneak peak at the new maps.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Interesting gamble. I guess 343 are banking on people loving the multiplayer enough to pony up the dough?

Because that's more than enough time to 100% the campaign and it's related achievements.

I would think that people who were into Campaign, have mostly played it or at least rented.

Its been 9 months so.

I'm just waiting for it to actually go on sale digitally so I can purchase. This is a cool opportunity to give the Campaign a shot though.

You click on install and it downloads and installs.

NIGHTMARE
I'm assuming you didn't know about this? Just a quick Google search shows:

http://www.giantbomb.com/halo-5-guardians/3030-42905/forums/really-long-install-time-1785066/

https://goo.gl/jAH1dn

Even MS went out of their way to make a troubleshooting guide:

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...-update-Xbox-One-Microsoft-troubleshoot-guide

I have no idea how common it really is, but my experience with even a disc install indicates that the install time is much longer than any other game I have. It was pretty frustrating.

jesu

http://www.giantbomb.com/halo-5-guardians/3030-42905/forums/really-long-install-time-1785066/

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...-update-Xbox-One-Microsoft-troubleshoot-guide

I have no idea how common it really is, but my experience with even a disc install indicates that the install time is much longer than any other game I have. It was pretty frustrating.

First link is about installing from disc, these free days don't involve discs.
Second link is about the MCC collection, a completely different game.
Third link is about people with slow download speeds,

I'm not seeing the absolute nightmare.

First link is about installing from disc, these free days don't involve discs.
Second link is about the MCC collection, a completely different game.
Third link is about people with slow download speeds,

I'm not seeing the absolute nightmare.
Well, at 81gb and soon to be 90+ gb, you can bet not everyone is going to be happy with the download time. So I figure a fair warning should be in order.

I installed it for the first time last week, through a disc (which is normally much faster), and it took me about ~7 hours. The last 10% was especially awful. Haven't had a game install so slowly across my whole collection.

It also doesn't help that you can't start until 100%.

I have an idea.

If 90GB is too much for you to d/l, just don't worry about it, move on!
I mean this thread has turned to shit because of people complaining about the size of the game, there's no obligation here... just go about your lives as if this never happened, but please stop dumping negativity on something which isn't really negative... at all.

The gaming side strikes again!

The slow install, even from a disc, happens when the system no longer rips the game from from the disc and starts installing patches from XBL. If you deny the update when installing the disc it would install at the normal disc speed. I don't understand all the complaining about disc installs tbh, I installed DOOM yesterday and it took maybe 30 minutes without updates. I will allow the system to pick up the updates when my system is asleep. So, the nightmare you claim is normal for every game, but especially slow on H5 because they've added a butt load of content to the game post launch that needs to be downloaded in an update. Sorry, but I personally commend 343i for giving the best, FREE, post launch support that Halo has ever gotten and in the best Halo MP to date to boot. Frankie, you and the rest of the team deserve a hug damnit. I'd like to buy you all donuts and coffee!

Monocle

Come for the mediocre exceptional campaign, stay for the series best multiplayer.
Fixed.

The dumb narrative that Halo 5 has a bad campaign still makes no sense. In terms of level design and replay value it's up there with some of the best in the series.

Naked Lunch

Im hoping this gets more of my friends into Halo5. I have tons of friends who played all the 360 Halos but for whatever reason skipped H5 - I know quite a few of them who are really good at shooters that would love it.

The multiplayer of Halo5 is amazing. Its easily the best competitive mp of this gen - but honestly it probably slanted too far towards the hardcore. The game takes some serious skills online because of the reduced aim assist and the reliance on dodging + pinpoint aim at high speeds - the game has such a high skill gap. I initially played the game with some old 360 halo friends but it ended up being too difficult for them. They just couldn't compete - simply not good enough.

Its my go to ultra competitive skill on skill shooter this gen for sure.

The slow install, even from a disc, happens when the system no longer rips the game from from the disc and starts installing patches from XBL. If you deny the update when installing the disc it would install at the normal disc speed. I don't understand all the complaining about disc installs tbh, I installed DOOM yesterday and it took maybe 30 minutes without updates. I will allow the system to pick up the updates when my system is asleep. So, the nightmare you claim is normal for every game, but especially slow on H5 because they've added a butt load of content to the game post launch that needs to be downloaded in an update. Sorry, but I personally commend 343i for giving the best, FREE, post launch support that Halo has ever gotten and in the best Halo MP to date to boot. Frankie, you and the rest of the team deserve a hug damnit. I'd like to buy you all donuts and coffee!
I commend them, too. It's a fantastic deal. But with all the talk about slow installs, a fair warning was in order, IMHO.

Also, if you deny the update, wouldn't that not allow you to play the game online?

I commend them, too. It's a fantastic deal. But with all the talk about slow installs, a fair warning was in order, IMHO.

Also, if you deny the update, wouldn't that not allow you to play the game online?

Wouldn't be able to play online, but could play campaign. Just as a suggestion for people that want to play as quickly as possible. The update can be applied when your Xbox is in instant on mode and asleep overnight for instance. I just wanted to point out why the install was taking exceptionally long. It isn't the Xbox One's fault, the install slows to the speed of your internet when it gets to the actual update portion of the install. No one should be complaining about install times from a disc if it means you're getting loads of FREE updates and online maps/modes/content that wasn't in the game when it launched.

Yeah, i include the install size in the OP out of courtesy. So people can have some expectation with their ISP.....

You have a Full 7 days to play Halo 5 Single player and Multiple player for FREE. Perhaps, 2 of those days will be downloading it, considering the worst isp situation. If that is the case, speak with your ISP, not xbox. They can't increase your download speed.

Install times for any game as big as 80+ gigs will take a long time, REGARDLESS of any circumstance. That is painfully obvious and shouldn't be a "talking" point....

I'll most likely bump this thread the night of the 28th to remind folks to get their BUTTS READY, because a Grunt Mecha Golbin is about to gobble you up in Firefight :p

Fixed.

The dumb narrative that Halo 5 has a bad campaign still makes no sense. In terms of level design and replay value it's up there with some of the best in the series.

I said mediocre, not bad.
Mediocre=/=Bad

The campaign had a few problems that made it fall short.
- Moment to moment encounters were good, it indeed does have good level design. Yet it was lacking large scale areas that we saw in Assault on the Control Room. Or something unique like the Silent Cartographer.
-A lack of large scale set pieces. The Kraken was disappointingly static compared to the more dynamic scarab fight in "The Covenant" from Halo 3.
-The non-action areas lacked anything interesting, say for a few funny moments, a good idea but poor execution.
-AI was a push over on Legendary
-No warthog run. :(
-Disappointing story, it was definitely a transition/setup though.

jesu

Always install the disc first, then the update, it goes super slow other wise.

mo60

Yes. It is 343i did not enable that feature for Halo 5 for some reason.

I wish this went up today instead of tomorrow. Got the day off and house sitting for someone with a way better set up than mine.

Oh well! Tomorrow will still be great on my 22" lol

I haven't played in months, may be time to go back to wreck some fools. Great multiplayer, best of this gen for me...but it's also the only good reason for me to own a Xbox One.

The only thing about the multiplayer that isn't stellar to me is the maps (they're passable as a Halo game, not the best, not the worst), but again I haven't played for at least 2 or 3 months. Are there any good new arena maps out?

JaggedSac

I haven't played in months, may be time to go back to wreck some fools. Great multiplayer, best of this gen for me...but it's also the only good reason for me to own a Xbox One.

The only thing about the multiplayer that isn't stellar to me is the maps (they're passable as a Halo game, not the best, not the worst), but again I haven't played for at least 2 or 3 months. Are there any good new arena maps out?

I think there were 2 or 3 released in that timeframe. I think they are ok, but I play casually so pretty much any map works for me.

Top Bottom