• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Larry David.
cuhjrA9.gif

What is the status of ODST's from Halo 4 onwards?

S4's are ODST right? Did all ODST members get put into the S4 program or was it optional? Voluntary?

Do ODST exist post Spartan 4 program?

We also never find out the status of Buck's squad do we?

Korten

Banned
So guys, what do you guys hope to see in the next Halo novel? Since we know 343i made a new deal with another book publisher (not TOR again), and that there will be a new book this fall, currently untitled and we have no info.

Personally I would love either to see a book that is all about Spartan-IV's, either pre-Halo 4 or post-Halo 4.

Since the closest thing we've had to a S-IV focused story was Initation and Spartan Assault.

S4's are ODST right? Did all ODST members get put into the S4 program or was it optional? Voluntary?

There are still ODSTs, Many did join the S-IV program but there is still quite a number that are just still ODST.

It was optional.

And no we haven't heard from Bucky's Squad since ODST.

Chettlar

Banned
Was Keith David the Arbiter? I don't even remember.

Um yes.

Wait, stinkles, you don't know this? You mean...you haven't even looked it up for the next Halo? You mean Arby (as voiced by David) isn't going to be in the next Halo?

y u do dis?

neutral-whyyyyy.jpg

Is he the guy who does all the crazy Grunt voices? That stuff is hi-larious!

Humph, well maybe you'd know if you actually had those crazy Grunt voices in your games.

#stillbitter.

There are still ODSTs, Many did join the S-IV program but there is still quite a number that are just still ODST.

It was optional.

And no we haven't heard from Bucky's Squad since ODST.
What about the remaining Spartan 2/3s? I haven't been keeping up with the more recent stuff, but I remember most remaining active Spartans were merged into the 4s program, Is that true?

Korten

Banned
What about the remaining Spartan 2/3s? I haven't been keeping up with the more recent stuff, but I remember most remaining active Spartans were merged into the 4s program, Is that true?

S-III's were merged into the S-IV program, and S-II's are still in active duty/mentors to the S-IV's.

If MC doesn't get a chance to reunite with Blue team and he, Fred, Kelly and Linda don't get to kick some major ass, I'm going to be a sad panda.

daedalius

Even with the contradictions? Or is that it just being two different stories of the same events from differing perspectives?

Before the launch of halo 4 I think they did a lot of data drops to try and figure out the contradictions. They were pretty interesting, not sure if they are all still available.

Really enjoying the escalation comic on the iPad :)

Valhelm

contribute something
I really wish we could get a smaller game exclusively from the point of view of an Elite. The mystical, more sci-fi side of the Halo franchise always appealed to me more than the military bravado, and the Covenant art style (which probably peaked with Halo Reach) is just incredible. Playing as a Sangheili or even a Grunt could be loads of fun.

I've always wished for a Star Wars Battlefront-style game with different classes of characters. There would be separate campaigns for every Covenant species or UNSC division, and each class would be radically different from the next.

I really wish we could get a smaller game exclusively from the point of view of an Elite. The mystical, more sci-fi side of the Halo franchise always appealed to me more than the military bravado, and the Covenant art style (which probably peaked with Halo Reach) is just incredible. Playing as a Sangheili or even a Grunt could be loads of fun.

I've always wished for a Star Wars Battlefront-style game with different classes of characters.
There would be separate campaigns for every Covenant species or UNSC division, and each class would be radically different from the next.

Covenant side of the story is under-used. Star Wars Republic Commando: Yayap's Super Bombad Grunt Squad Edition or maybe just something cool set from the Covenant's perspective again, like Arbiter :D

Covenant side of the story is under-used. Star Wars Republic Commando: Yayap's Super Bombad Grunt Squad Edition or maybe just something cool set from the Covenant's perspective again, like Arbiter :D
Play as a Elite Spec Ops unit, detailing the Covenant civil war (Elites vs Brutes halo 2 era) on high charity, installation 05 and the battles on the ark. First quarter of the game you are apart of the covenant, then after the schism you fight against them (main antagonist can be a lesser prophet or something).
I would have this over a Halo 5.

iMax

Play as a Elite Spec Ops unit, detailing the Covenant civil war (Elites vs Brutes halo 2 era) on high charity, installation 05 and the battles on the ark. First quarter of the game you are apart of the covenant, then after the schism you fight against them (main antagonist can be a lesser prophet or something).
I would have this over a Halo 5.

You mean like a Covenant-side ODST type game?

You mean like a Covenant-side ODST type game?
Exactly. I was just trying to set the scene
IMO the Covenant civil war (all the fighting on high charity, think about the population there and the fighting that would have erupted) doesn't get enough attention. I think it would be amazing to be fleshed out in a novel or as said a ODST style game.

Valhelm

contribute something

A Grunt campaign could be fucking awesome. Because of your stature and weakness, the game completely changes, and it's really all about survival. On your phantom dropship hovering over Reach or Arcadia, a grizzled old veteran tells you that he's been able to see hundreds of battles because he knows how to survive. While your fresh-faced comrades are instructed by the commanders to just throw themselves at the enemy, the player is encouraged to stay alive.

It would be a kind of combat survival horror title, and a brief encounter with a Spartan would be truly terrifying.

Tzeentch

A Grunt campaign could be fucking awesome.
I'm skeptical of it being good enough for a whole campaign, but a small arc would be cool. Call if "Lowest Decks" and have a dynamic push-pull system where you are only really effective around leaders, and have to haul ass when they get killed :p

A Grunt campaign could be fucking awesome. Because of your stature and weakness, the game completely changes, and it's really all about survival. On your phantom dropship hovering over Reach or Arcadia, a grizzled old veteran tells you that he's been able to see hundreds of battles because he knows how to survive. While your fresh-faced comrades are instructed by the commanders to just throw themselves at the enemy, the player is encouraged to stay alive.

It would be a kind of combat survival horror title, and a brief encounter with a Spartan would be truly terrifying.

you just sold me on this idea

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

I think a Grunt campaign with a lighter tone than other campaign missions would be great. Maybe something similar to the Spartan-1337 story in Halo Legends.

Campaign DLC (maybe episodically, like Spartan Ops) would make these kinds of stories possible. It would let players that don't read the books enjoy the expanded Halo universe.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Funny thing about Grunts though is that we think of them as small in relation to elites and the Chief, but they are actually pretty big in terms of ratio to humans.

Mistel

Banned
Before the launch of halo 4 I think they did a lot of data drops to try and figure out the contradictions. They were pretty interesting, not sure if they are all still available
Ah okay I only read the book ages ago I never knew that they had data drops for it at some point.

Funny thing about Grunts though is that we think of them as small in relation to elites and the Chief, but they are actually pretty big in terms of ratio to humans.
And they bite.
Jackals are only slightly smaller(?) than the average full grown human.

Valhelm

contribute something

Nope. Grunts stand 4'5 to 5'6. They're short compared to humans and almost half the size of Elites. From a purely technical standpoint, it would be wonderful to play as a Grunt, with Elites towering above you. Because we always play as a seven-foot Spartan, we don't fully understand the size of the Sangheili.

Nope. Grunts stand 4'5 to 5'6. They're short compared to humans and almost half the size of Elites. From a purely technical standpoint, it would be wonderful to play as a Grunt, with Elites towering above you. Because we always play as a seven-foot Spartan, we don't fully understand the size of the Sangheili.
If only I had a handy video clip to demonstrate how much bigger they are than people realise.

Sure would be great to have a video of a scottish lad making a fool out of himself and showing this.

Sure would.

Rookwood

Banned

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there another Halo game with "online features" being developed by 343i or something? If that game isn't H2A, then perhaps it's a continuation of ODST or a game similar to it.

Or better yet, the AAA Commander Palmer centric game we've all been dying for.

Fuchsdh

Feet. Not meters. Grunts are about the size of middle schoolers.

5'6" is a monstrous middle schooler.

Take a look at the Grunts in the games--they're definitely all around 5' when compared to a standard marine. That's really not that small, especially when you consider these guys can get nasty up close. The also make up some height with the methane tanks.

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/sloftus_characterscale/index.html?char1=Marine-H1&char2=GruntArmor1-H1

(excellent Loftus resource above for visualizing this.)

daman824

Feet. Not meters. Grunts are about the size of middle schoolers.
They're pretty bulky too though.

I remember having that halo 3 book that compared the size of different covenant species with a marine. And the grunt wasn't too much smaller.

Top Bottom