• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

That's mainly a practice thing, you have to practice claw to do it well.
Also kinda off topic but I actually claw in some games on Wii U, which is kinda funny.
Also my friend double claws on PS4.

Ya I tried for a good while in Halo 2, spent days running Midship FFA trying to condition myself to Claw, and outside of the benefits of executing buttom combos a bit better, my shot was a lot worse. It wasn't worth the dip in accuracy and discomfort after hours of gripping the controller that way, so I just went back to normal grip with some claw action here and there.

It's not for everyone, but there are some definite benefits to it, although plenty of high profile Pro's never really bothered to claw, or they use it sparingly like myself. So it's all preference.

As for Pro Halo Player Enable, this always amazed me about him.

1395890039508.png

Been playing this way since the first Xbox because the controller was too damn big, so in order to not move my thumb off the joystick, I pressed the face buttons with my pointer finger.

That thing was a beast. One day I took a friend's old one, went outside and swung it by the cord, slamming it on the street. Did that several times and it barely caused a few scratches.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I guarantee you, I'd win 5 games in a row and not rank up, even being MVP. Then I'd lose one and rank down.

Oh wow, 5 whole games?

You quite obviously know very little about Halo 3s ranking system.

As for clawing, I only did it when playing Arena in Reach because of how broken jetpack was.

That thing was a beast. One day I took a friend's old one, went outside and swung it by the cord, slamming it on the street. Did that several times and it barely caused a few scratches.

Duke or S?

Dukes were amazing and super comfy. If only it had bumpers instead of white/black buttons.

belushy

Banned
Ya I tried for a good while in Halo 2, spent days running Midship FFA trying to condition myself to Claw, and outside of the benefits of executing buttom combos a bit better, my shot was a lot worse. It wasn't worth the dip in accuracy and discomfort after hours of gripping the controller that way, so I just went back to normal grip with some claw action here and there.

It's not for everyone, but there are some definite benefits to it, although plenty of high profile Pro's never really bothered to claw, or they use it sparingly like myself. So it's all preference.

As for Pro Halo Player Enable, this always amazed me about him.

I've known about his thumb since Halo 3 when he was on sQ, but I've never seen a video or a picture of it. Really neat how he can manage to play like that.

Where can I find a good copy of the Halo 2 Anniversary part of the master chief collection announcement?

Edit: a downloadable version

Gamersyde only has the MP gameplay

Madness

Where can I find a good copy of the Halo 2 Anniversary part of the master chief collection announcement?

I don't think there is anything "downloadable". They only showed the campaign stuff behind closed doors or during interviews. Maybe look at the IGN interview with Frankie and Dan.

I don't think there is anything "downloadable". They only showed the campaign stuff behind closed doors or during interviews. Maybe look at the IGN interview with Frankie and Dan.

Last I remember, IGN video downloads required the premium membership they sell. Unless they changed it.

http://news.xbox.com/media/?AssetType=b-roll

There are two short downloadable gameplay sections from the campaign of Halo 2 Anniversary.

Anyone know of a downloadable version of the Master Chief Collection video featuring the Arbiter and Agent Locke?

http://news.xbox.com/media/?AssetType=b-roll

There are two short downloadable gameplay sections from the campaign of Halo 2 Anniversary.

Anyone know of a downloadable version of the Master Chief Collection video featuring the Arbiter and Agent Locke?

If the video is YouTube, enter the URL into offliberty.com and it gives you a download for it. Then convert to the file type of your choice. If this is somehow against the rules, I apologize and feel free to edit this post, all power mods of GAF

HalcyonXcution

Neo Member
Oh wow, 5 whole games?

You quite obviously know very little about Halo 3s ranking system.

As for clawing, I only did it when playing Arena in Reach because of how broken jetpack was.

Duke or S?

Dukes were amazing and super comfy. If only it had bumpers instead of white/black buttons.

Well I enjoy the concept of Halo 3s 1-50 and being able to see game played as well as total xp. I found most of the time looking at games played and total xp told a lot more then that number. The 1-50 system was broke. You have games were you get bought 50s, derankers, boosters or new accounts. Sorry but seeing people that were 50 was not like oh man they must be amazing no seeing 12s with 100 games played and 99 games won was like I am going to lose. I like the idea of 1-50 but they need to factor in xp with the number as well have counters to the exploits of said system.

Similar to how GTAV has you hitting L + R buttons at the same time to activate special abilities, I wonder if something similar could work for Halo. That is, you're sacrificing movement and aim (or firing / grenades) to use whatever abilities are present in said game. Example for Halo 4, taking into account Sprinting and all AAs save for HLS and Jetpack as toggles and not sustains:

RT: Fire Weapon
LT: Reload
RT + LT: Throw Grenade
LB: Jump
RB: Melee
LB + RB: Use AA
X: Switch Grenades (Left)
B: Switch Grenades (Right)
A: Action
Y: Switch Weapon
RS: Aim, Zoom
LS: Move, Crouch
LS + RS: Sprint

This also somewhat balances the sustain AAs like Jetpack because you have to sacrifice control if you want to shoot, reload or throw grenades. There are a few potential issues (like throwing grenades while holding a charged Plasma Pistol), but it'd be neat to have the option, at least.

Akai__

No offense, but that's a horrible controll scheme, for a game like Halo. I seriously hope no one considers this for any other game, either.

Both, PS4 and Xbox One should have come with 2 additional bumpers, for games, that need a button for abilities and what not. I feel like there is something wrong with your game, if you have to use more than 1 button combination to do something. Leads to miss-clicks and to frustration.

Man, those Elites look absolutely awful. I really hope they aren't final.

That looks very funny actually. :D

I can't wait to see more of this collection.

Similar to how GTAV has you hitting L + R buttons at the same time to activate special abilities, I wonder if something similar could work for Halo. That is, you're sacrificing movement and aim (or firing / grenades) to use whatever abilities are present in said game. Example for Halo 4, taking into account Sprinting and all AAs save for HLS and Jetpack as toggles and not sustains:

<snip/>

This also somewhat balances the sustain AAs like Jetpack because you have to sacrifice control if you want to shoot, reload or throw grenades. There are a few potential issues (like throwing grenades while holding a charged Plasma Pistol), but it'd be neat to have the option, at least.

Don't think that'd work. For a few reasons. LS + RS is a bad idea, as is LT + RT. Adding the LB + RB combo means delaying the event binding on both RB and LB (you wouldn't want to jump before attempting to engage HLS for example.) A very bad disadvantage.

Blueblur1

They look okay.

Seeing that they're the same style of Elites as those in Halo 3 I think its safe to expect character models of the same quality. (Or even better considering that this game will be running on the Xbone.)

Hell, rip the H3 models if need be. Whatever results in an Elite that doesn't look abhorrent mess.

(Note: Obviously, the H3 models have their own shortcomings such as the hands and skin textures.)

I highly doubt they are final. Still a lot of work to be done. Hell, I doubt the game will go Gold until early to mid October.

I hope so. I like me some sleak looking Elites.

defghik

Man, the claw is much more difficult to do on the xbox one controller...

What's harder about it?

I'm surprised so many people in this thread still don't know about clawing in 2014, I thought it was a pretty well known way to play even back in like 06. It's not impractical at all, I've been clawing for about a decade, and know plenty of others who do too. Aiming seems much harder at first because your thumb is at a slightly different angle using your middle finger to shoot, but that really only takes 3-4 weeks to get completely used to.

What I'd be interested to know is how the various tags translate from 30FPS to 60, and what's being done to maintain consistency.

For those who don't know, a lot of Halo's various properties (contained within tags within the map files) are bound to the frame-rate; double the frame-rate without correcting for this and characters will run twice as fast, and so on.

What they did in the PAL version of CE was to modify the tags for 25FPS, which caused the NTSC version to be incompatible, as well as having several knock on effects in the game, whether that was due to rounding errors, the fact that the values differed at all, or both. For example, you can fall much further in the PAL version, you're slightly slower, and Flood with ARs fire so slowly that they're almost useless.

There's probably less chance of rounding errors going from 30 to 60 (unless the precision doesn't allow for it), but it could still have all kinds of knock-on effects in the engine, since it was never designed for 60FPS.

Will also be interesting to find out what impact this has on multiplayer, given that it allows for greater timing precision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom