• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chitown B

In that regard I hate how a direct digital download is the same price or more expensive than a retail version. Digital downloads should be approx. 10-25% cheaper than the retail market selling prices (not RRP) IMO. No manufacturing/printing, no shipping, no distributor+retailer mark ups, no retailer return stock discounts, no breakage etc . The lack of a price difference disturbs me more than pre-order bonuses TBH.

Agreed. The only thing I can think of is that it would undercut retail and their retail partners would riot.

How can you complain about sprint and not ADS (and by that I mean a dedicated trigger for ADS, not normal scoping)? You need to get your priorities straight.

Why would I want ADS? Halo has never had that. It leaves your left trigger open for nades.

So angry. There is no reason to be upset, they're only skulls, not to mention they're only timed exclusives anyway. You and Karl need to hug it out if you're both that upset over this.

Preorder bonuses suck, sure.. but at least it's not significant content being locked out or armor that won't ever be unlocked for everyone like in Halo 4.

There is reason to be upset. MS shows their vision and then doesn't support it with any perks whatsoever. It's a bad move. Also, my friends and I play with skulls and we'll have to worry about who has what. Originally it was supposedly coming with "everything unlocked"

TTUVAPOR

Banned
The game stopped being about controlling/timing power weapons and powerups. That was the core of Halo, but now it's gone. Maybe Halo 5 will bring that core back, the lead designer seems to think so through his tweets of liking Quake and arena multiplayer.

Halo 4 is basically a COD-clone. Create a class five times, have DMR start, BR start, AR start, etc. Sprint around the map, kill the other team till you reach a certain score. That's COD-deathmatch right there. No powerups, no power weapons to control. The ordinance is basically a kill-streak from COD...

Hopefully in Halo 5 they go back to the basics.

Chitown B

The game stopped being about controlling/timing power weapons and powerups. That was the core of Halo, but now it's gone. Maybe Halo 5 will bring that core back, the lead designer seems to think so through his tweets of liking Quake and arena multiplayer.

Halo 4 is basically a COD-clone. Create a class five times, have DMR start, BR start, AR start, etc. Sprint around the map, kill the other team till you reach a certain score. That's COD-deathmatch right there. No powerups, no power weapons to control. The ordinance is basically a kill-streak from COD...

^^^ all of this. People actually made H3 spawn timer apps for weapons. It was about controlling the game. Now, Halo is just run and gun.

Computer

Frank said the Halo 5 beta will be equal starts. Weather Halo 5 will be all equal starts is the question. I have high hopes for Halo 5 based on the bits of news we have been getting.

Honestly I don't mind if sprint stays. It doesn't hurt battles too often because it's mostly just used for map movement. Like regenerating health, it has become an fps standard, and I think a lot of halo players are just being stubborn.

The only things that need to go are AA's and loadouts, but it sounds like they're already gone. And it needs much better maps than reach/4. If reach had halo 2 quality maps, I feel like it would get much more love.

Magwik

Banned
Sprint destroys map movement and layout.
Honestly I don't mind if sprint stays. It doesn't hurt battles too often because it's mostly just used for map movement. Like regenerating health, it has become an fps standard, and I think a lot of halo players are just being stubborn.

The only things that need to go are AA's and loadouts, but it sounds like they're already gone. And it needs much better maps than reach/4. If reach had halo 2 quality maps, I feel like it would get much more love.

If Reach had Halo 2 quality maps Armor Lock would still be terrible game design.

Alexalder

Banned

As a Halo noob i think sprint makes the game really enjoyable. Classes, jetpack and shield must go.

Filaipus

Banned
Sprint can work if they make the maps with that in mind. I'm not a big fan of it but it brings more decision making to the table (if you sprint you take a risk because you can't shot. Or it should be that way.)

RoKKeR

Woah! So just over a week then? Awesome.

Hopefully they release some new official media and we get some actual, direct feed 60fps gameplay from them.

EDIT: And I will go ahead and throw my hat in the "no-sprint" bag. Playing Halo 3 yesterday, map movement is SO much more important when you can't just fly around the map whenever you want.

Excellent explanation actually!

I enjoy Halo 4's Big Team Battle quite a bit, but never could really get into its Team Slayer This is the first argument for what was different about 4 that actually made me understand why and why some others dislike 4.

In Team Slayer on 2/3, the map setup and power weapons lead to an effective congregation of payers around certain areas for strategic purposes that you HAD to hold to succeed. Thus, epic showdowns in areas were common. In Team Slayer on 4 I can just cruise the map at will and do my thing since the power spawns aren't as big a deal. I don't hate it like others, but it lead to less "oh my god" memorable Team Slayer moments.

Big Team Battle, on the other hand, seemed to be a little less affected due to its larger maps and vehicle based nature, and so I still love it in 4.

I am so damn excited for Halo MCC and eventually Halo 5!!!!

Vico

Woah! So just over a week then? Awesome.

Then there is Comic Con two weeks later (though it might be a bit more on the lore-side, with Halo: Nightfall, the terminals and such), then Gamescom, then PAX, etc.
There are a lot of events up to Halo MCC's release.

Chitown B

Sprint destroys map movement and layout.

If Reach had Halo 2 quality maps Armor Lock would still be terrible game design.

This. People who say sprint isn't a big deal don't understand why it is horrible for maps. Also for fights, when you can just run away behind a wall. It kills engagements and makes everything a game of cat and mouse.

Equal starts and arena gameplay is great but using an external timer to play a game for fun or competition is bullshit.

It might not be your prerogative to do, but it is not "bullshit." That's just your opinion. I didn't use them, but that wasn't even my point. It was more that the weapon spawns were predictable and were part of the game.

Sprint can work if they make the maps with that in mind. I'm not a big fan of it but it brings more decision making to the table (if you sprint you take a risk because you can't shot. Or it should be that way.)

No. It can't. They DID make the maps with sprint in mind for Reach and 4 - and it made them larger and less symmetrical with a bunch of shit to run behind.

There is reason to be upset. MS shows their vision and then doesn't support it with any perks whatsoever. It's a bad move. Also, my friends and I play with skulls and we'll have to worry about who has what. Originally it was supposedly coming with "everything unlocked"
I agree, there is reason to be upset. But this upset?
FUCK YOU.
To each his/her own I s'pose ;b
^^^ all of this. People actually made H3 spawn timer apps for weapons. It was about controlling the game. Now, Halo is just run and gun.
Halo 3 timers never seemed practical considering the timer starts when you pick up the weapon. Better to just pay attention to the in-game clock and let your team know when the next time it spawns will be.
Equal starts and arena gameplay is great but using an external timer to play a game for fun or competition is bullshit.
What the shit.. Care to explain?

Computer

Excellent explanation actually!

I enjoy Halo 4's Big Team Battle quite a bit, but never could really get into its Team Slayer This is the first argument for what was different about 4 that actually made me understand why and why some others dislike 4.

In Team Slayer on 2/3, the map setup and power weapons lead to an effective congregation of payers around certain areas for strategic purposes that you HAD to hold to succeed. Thus, epic showdowns in areas were common. In Team Slayer on 4 I can just cruise the map at will and do my thing since the power spawns aren't as big a deal. I don't hate it like others, but it lead to less "oh my god" memorable Team Slayer moments.

Big Team Battle, on the other hand, seemed to be a little less affected due to its larger maps and vehicle based nature, and so I still love it in 4.

I am so damn excited for Halo MCC and eventually Halo 5!!!!

This x100
I cant count how many games of Halo 3 I played that came to a 49-49 standoff. The most intense exiting times I have ever had in gaming with ranks on the line. I have never had a game like that in Halo 4. Sprint just kills it.

Timers and Halo 1 are perfect. I cannot wait to play Halo 1 multi online against people who are not timing.

In a female voice, every 2 minutes on Chill Out: "Rocket. Camo. Overshield." If anyone knows what this is and actually used it, you're an OG in my eyes.

Power-up/power weapon timing in CE is probably going to be jarring for some people once they see how dominant a team/player can be. I can see that turning away a lot of new players if they don't have the determination to improve.

Gestault

This. People who say sprint isn't a big deal don't understand why it is horrible for maps. Also for fights, when you can just run away behind a wall. It kills engagements and makes everything a game of cat and mouse.

Some probably find that more engaging than a sort of level design where TTA (time to arrival) is one big set of flat figures for map control. Rote memorization as the core of skill-based competition has as much grounds for being annoying as play-time based gear unlocks.

There's no reason not to go balls out with new ideas. We have the collection for all our needs concerning traditional halo.

Halo 5 needs to be a desperate attempt at innovation.

dralla

In a female voice, every 2 minutes on Chill Out: "Rocket. Camo. Overshield." If anyone knows that this is and actually used it, you're an OG in my eyes.

Power-up/power weapon timing in CE is probably going to be jarring for some people once they see how dominant a team/player can. I can see that turning away a lot of new players if they don't have the determination to improve.

Me and my friends used that, we used to play LAN and one room had a PC and one didn't. So if you were in the room with the PC you'd have a huge advantage. Before that I used to use a pocket sized timer that was supposed to be used for food /memories

Me and my friends used that, we used to play LAN and one room had a PC and one didn't. So if you were in the room with the PC you'd have a huge advantage. Before that I used to use a pocket sized timer that was supposed to be used for food /memories
hahahh mah man -- Most people I know used a stopwatch or this program that beeped, but the one that talked was my favorite.

Good times.

iso135

This talk of Halo 5 going away from loadouts and back to spawning weapons.... oh lord.

Hype is maxed for Destiny, Halo Master Chief Collection, and Halo 5.

Too bad I don't own an xbox one, and my friend I play with most doesn't have the money to get one.

jem0208

Get out of here. This is bullshit.

The simple fact that it takes more than 2 bullets to kill someone means it's vastly different to CoD.

dwells

They should honestly show latency between players in campaign co-op lobbies. So you have an idea of what you're in for.

If I recall correctly, you'll fail Microsoft certification for showing actual millisecond ping times. Halo 2's closed beta showed real ping times, as have many other non-public game builds. If I had to guess, the policy likely exists to cover up just how bad latency often is in peer-hosted games - better that people don't realize they are paying $60 a year for a much laggier experience than free online PC games...

If you couldn't get a 50 in Halo 3 on your first account, you were bad.
I sucked at Halo 3 and barely played the game (relative to H1 and H2 at least) and I still managed a 50 in no time. That ranking system was embarrassingly easy to level up in.

i had a 50 less than 2 weeks of Halo 3's release.

Never got higher than 44 in 3 years of H2.

dat incentive
I managed a 40 in the early post-reset days and just stopped there because of how bad the cheating was and how hard it was to get a game. Playing without boxes was a guarantee of getting standbyed. It took me six hours or searching to get a game with boxes for the game that got my 40. My teammates and I all shared cell phone numbers and had to take shifts sitting in front of our TVs and would call everyone if we got a match to step 3.

Things got a little better later on when more players started getting into the 40s, but it was still a hassle actually getting a clean game, so I didn't bother going for a symbol.

Halo 2/3 you could just use the in-game time... easy to remember a weapon will be back at the next :37

This is the correct answer. I've said "ovy at fifty seven" or similar countless times on Beaver Creek.

Get out of here. This is bullshit.

The simple fact that it takes more than 2 bullets to kill someone means it's vastly different to CoD.
Its not a clone of COD, its the offspring of Halo and COD, so both bloodlines are mingled to various degrees. I'd think that'd be pretty obvious based upon the introduction of XP, weapon/ability unlocks, sprint, ADS, custom loadouts with game-changing perks, removal of map control <> inclusion of kill-streak-esque personal ordnance. Now all of this stuff is Halo-esque in its implementation but I think its damn near impossible to argue that COD wasn't the inspiration.

I managed a 40 in the early post-reset days and just stopped there because of how bad the cheating was and how hard it was to get a game. Playing without boxes was a guarantee of getting standbyed. It took me six hours or searching to get a game with boxes for the game that got my 40. My teammates and I all shared cell phone numbers and had to take shifts sitting in front of our TVs and would call everyone if we got a match to step 3.

Thankfully, I had a friend bridge host to me every time we all played, so we had host boxes every time. I had a great connection, so everyone benefitted with great matches.

Solidsoul

Banned
Halo 4 is not COD or like COD, neither was reach. So sick of hearing this.

Seriously, people have been saying it since the first reach gameplay reveal. It's not an original thought nor is it true.

I've played both, they are not the same. I do not enjoy Call of Duty, I loved Halo 4.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Its not a clone of COD, its the offspring of Halo and COD, so both bloodlines are mingled to various degrees. I'd think that'd be pretty obvious based upon the introduction of XP, weapon/ability unlocks, sprint, ADS, custom loadouts with game-changing perks, removal of map control <> inclusion of kill-streak-esque personal ordnance. Now all of this stuff is Halo-esque in its implementation but I think its damn near impossible to argue that COD wasn't the inspiration.

That's precisely my point.

Halo 4 went over board with the COD features.

Instant spawning in Slayer games.

Create a class.

No power weapons or powerups on the maps.

Abilities that act like perks in COD, like, unlimited sprint, etc.

Personal ordinance is basically a kill streak copied from COD, instead of a UAV, you get weapons for your own personal use.

It's all COD copied crap. Can't deny it. They need to go back to what made Halo a great game, that was in Halo CE and Halo 2.

IHaveIce

Banned

Seriously, people have been saying it since the first reach gameplay reveal. It's not an original thought nor is it true.

I've played both, they are not the same. I do not enjoy Call of Duty, I loved Halo 4.
It is a step into the direction of CoD with Loadouts, sprint and armor abilities. Now even with infinity as kind of killstreaks and text in the middle of the screen, the comparisions weren't far off..

Solidsoul

Banned
It is a step into the direction of CoD with Loadouts, sprint and armor abilities. Now even with infinity as kind of killstreaks and text in the middle of the screen, the comparisions weren't far off..

I understand where people draw comparisons, but the two games don't play the same, and Halo 4 still feels very Halo. Rechargeable shields, high jumping, scope on right stick, grenades with left trigger at any time....

Futuristic weapons, vehicles etc.

Very Halo.

Halo 4 clearly went after the Call of Duty audience. The additional features such as text on screen, always sprinting, instant respawn and "kill streaks" in the form of ordnance are very visible, very evident examples of trying to appeal to a new CoD focused audience.

This doesn't mean they play the same. When people say Halo 4 is like Call of Duty the mean the features they added to imitate Call of Duty made the gameplay shift in a way the core Halo crowd didn't like (stats back this up).

Take a chessboard for example. Now lets change the chess pieces to dice, lets remove the limited movement of pieces and allow them to move along the board in any direction based on the value of the up facing side of that dice when rolled.

Suddenly you don't have chess you have an entirely different beast.

Halo 4 did this. It spawned people unevenly and it ENTIRELY at random rewarded players with either power weapons or fuck all useful.

jem0208

Ha!

You're in denial.

No, no I'm really not. The games play very differently. Sure it has a few superficial elements such as loadouts which are similar to CoD however the core gameplay is still very much Halo. Skill is required when in a firefight with someone. Maps are much larger and have a vehicular focus and are also very vertical compared to CoD. Basic gunplay is vastly different.

Yes, it has some of the elements which all modern shooters seem to have these days. A game like Battlefield also incorporates all these elements yet is never considered a CoD clone. Halo 4 has amuch greater difference to CoD than Battefield.

It's not CoD that is the inspiration. All modern shooters are incorporating these features. It's a staple of the genre, not just of CoD. Also 4 doesn't have ADS.

Akai__

Halo 4's MP was bad. Fastest abandoned Halo game and the numbers speak for themselves... #DealWithIt

Also:

scope on right stick

halo-4-fishstick-button-layout.jpg

Edit: Removed the last part, because I was refering to an other post.

Instant spawning in Slayer games.
How could I forget about instant spawning! Yep.

I understand where people draw comparisons, but the two games don't play the same...
This is also true. Its got COD elements but its not a COD clone and doesn't feel like COD to play.

It's not CoD that is the inspiration. All modern shooters are incorporating these features. It's a staple of the genre, not just of CoD. Also 4 doesn't have ADS.
Shit, you're right on the ADS bit, sorry. But I'd argue that COD is synonymous with "modern shooters" as far as all of those inclusions go.

daedalius

To be fair, there are team slayer game types without the stuff you don't like mentioned above.

Only infinity has most of those things, legendary game types are definitely all about controlling weapon spawns, and you can only start with br/ar.

Karamsoul

Thought I'd just throw this in here, and mainly just to hear feedback from people who aren't fans of the Xbox One's controller:

I've been absolutely spoiled with the Xbox 360's controller, so much so that the Xbox One controller's sticks feel like a huge letdown. They're just too loose and twitchy for my taste. In fact, they've deterred me so much so that playing BF4 and CoD:G on the Xbox One just doesn't feel the same at all. I'm a god in most multiplayer shooters on the Xbox 360 because the controller is virtually perfect, yet on the Xbox One, I'm always over-aiming, over-compensating, and no amount of sensitivity adjustment takes away from this debilitating experience, at least for me.

The reason I mention this is because I want to know, mainly from people here who love the Halo series, but hate the One controller - what are your expectations and gut-reactions anticipating playing the Halo series (known for its almost perfect controls) with the Xbox One controller?

Edit: If you can't tell, I'm really anticipating the 3rd party controller options (when they do release) for the Xbox One.

Havoc2049

You just described Infinity Slayer in Halo 4, there are also other game types in Halo 4 that have that classic Halo gameplay. And while 343i incorporated some "modern COD/modern FPS" features into Halo 4, the gunplay and core gameplay of Halo is still very different from COD. Also, as Halo 4 went on, 343i listened to the fans and kept adding and focusing on gameplay types that didn't have the Infinity additions. Many hardcore Halo 4 players who are also long time Halo players feel that Halo 4 today is much better now than when it first started. Begining with the MCC and onto Halo 5, it seems like 343i is on the right track and going back to what made Halo multiplayer popular in the first place. The future looks bright.

It's all COD copied crap. Can't deny it. They need to go back to what made Halo a great game, that was in Halo CE and Halo 2.
Thank you for being one of the few people to not include Halo 3 in that.
I kid :b
...or do I?
Talking about catering to the casuals, which happened a lot in Halo 4.
No Halo game catered more to "casuals" than Halo 2 and Halo 3 IMO. The core gameplay was altered from CE in such a way that everything felt slower and floatier, the aiming felt ridiculous easy (moreso in Halo 2 than Halo 3), deliberate randomness/inconsistencies to give lesser-skilled players a random chance at winning shootouts, a weaker, less unique weapon sandbox, etc. etc. -- People started complaining on a more unified front starting with Reach and skyrocketing with Halo 4, but the issues of "casualizing" Halo began long before Reach/H4 were released.

Leyasu

Banned

Sorry, but I like sprint as well. Get rid of the other shit, but keep sprint please

antigoon

I wouldn't have such a big problem with sprint if it didn't so visibly and negatively affect map design.

And I can't believe people are saying all the awful stuff in Halo 4 was "just" Infinity, when Infinity was clearly the main pillar and focus of the multiplayer suite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom