• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

sprint can go. I don't hate armor abilities or ordnance, I just wish the gametypes better accommodated them. JIP should only be in social playlists.

Expand options, keep an OG Halo gametype playlist running at all times. sometimes I want Infinity Slayer and goofy BTB, most times I want the good ol' days.

And honestly, don't be afraid to try something new. As long as the options are there to play an old fashioned Halo, I won't mind if something new falls completely flat on its face. And I'd love to gain a new element to the game that I didn't know I wanted.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I love sprint and ADS, hope theyre both in halo 5

lol if they include sprint in Halo 5, there is going to be a massive outrage AGAIN. But me personally? Dont care. With or without as long as everyone gets it I dont see how thats unfair or balancing issue.

malfcn

By pre-ordering at one of the above locations, you’ll gain exclusive access to the corresponding Skull, so choose wisely! After a certain period of time, the Skulls will become unlocked for all players.

The way it should be, if it has to be done.

El_Chino

lol if they include sprint in Halo 5, there is going to be a massive outrage AGAIN. But me personally? Dont care. With or without as long as everyone gets it I dont see how thats unfair or balancing issue.
I feel the exact same way. Sprint should stay and everything else out. If everyone has sprint then I don't see how that's a unbalanced thing to do.

please don't kill me

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I feel the exact same way. Sprint should stay and everything else out. If everyone has sprint then I don't see how that's a unbalanced thing to do.

please don't kill me

Should just make the movement speed fast enough without a sprint.

HTupolev

Wouldn't that be the same difference? Sprint or sped up movement? Same result. Rather the sprint to be honest because you could slow down at your own will.
Fast movement speed permits the use of the analogue stick to adjust speed arbitrarily in any direction. I'm confused as to why you appear to think you can't "slow down at your own will" in pre-sprint Halo games.

Sprint, as implemented in modern games, usually concerns forward motion, you generally don't have the ability to look around with snappiness while sprinting, you typically cannot shoot while sprinting, and there is typically a wait period after leaving sprint before you can freely aim and shoot with snappiness again.

Whereas movement and gunplay effectively have no barrier between them in games without sprint, games with sprint tend to have a more abrupt position-shoot-position-shoot cycle, and there are substantial implications regarding the flow of gunplay (especially the end of engagements).
"Run and gun" versus "run or gun."

It's not the same result at all.

RSB

Banned
^^ Good post

There's already plenty of shooters with sprint and ADS (and loadouts, and killstreaks, and perks...) we don't need more. I'd prefer them to keep the stuff that made Halo unique, not copy the same trends pretty much everyone else is already following (even Bungie, sadly)

Personally, I hope they don't include sprint in Halo 5, they should just increase the base movement speed (much better solution than adding sprint, as it could actually benefit the gameplay) And if they include ADS, they better make it completely optional (no movement or accuracy penalties of any kind) because adding forced ADS in Halo would be pretty much killing the franchise to me.

maneil99

Halo 4 was one of the worst AAA games I've ever played, the story was god awful, with flat characters and a boring love story between the Chief and Cortana. I was a HUUUUGE halo fan but Halo 4 was terrible. Vehicles in MP either useless or too useful, the warthog was garbage yet the Gauss Hog was one a killing machine, the Ghost in Team Slayer was amazing in terms of DPS. Ordnance drops killed any left over map progression that Reach hadn't killed and the soundtrack was too forgettable. Spartan Ops first season was simply abmissal with recycled assets areas and boring objectives. If any game deserved to kill Halo like Halo 4 did, it was Halo 4. How such small design choices managed to destroy such a beloved game is bewildering. The scale was drawn back to hide the 'optimization' of the new engine, the game was smeared with gross Post Process effects to give it that next gen look.

Halo 5 needs to drop 'Armor Abilities' or make them more in tune with Halo 3's equipment. Making a playlist without it doesn't count, the maps and gameplay will still be designed with them.

Halo 5 needs to drop 'Armor Abilities' or make them more in tune with Halo 3's equipment. Making a playlist without it doesn't count, the maps and gameplay will still be designed with them.

Well, we're in luck because they are getting rid of them. We will be getting something called "Spartan Abilities", but apparently everyone will have access to them right off the bat (if I understood correctly). I'll have to dig that info up.

EDIT: Found an image of a quote from Stinkles (aka Frank O'Connor of 343i):

Halo-5-No-Armor-Abilities1.png

Well, we're in luck because they are getting rid of them. We will be getting something called "Spartan Abilities", but apparently everyone will have access to them right off the bat (if I understood correctly). I'll have to dig that info up.

EDIT: Found an image of a quote from Stinkles (aka Frank O'Connor of 343i):

Halo-5-No-Armor-Abilities1.png

Frankie said specifically they are new features in the exact same vein as Dual Wielding and Vehicle boarding in Halo 2.

EDIT: Lol you beat me with an edit.

Solidsoul

Banned
Fast movement speed permits the use of the analogue stick to adjust speed arbitrarily in any direction. I'm confused as to why you appear to think you can't "slow down at your own will" in pre-sprint Halo games.

Sprint, as implemented in modern games, usually concerns forward motion, you generally don't have the ability to look around with snappiness while sprinting, you typically cannot shoot while sprinting, and there is typically a wait period after leaving sprint before you can freely aim and shoot with snappiness again.

Whereas movement and gunplay effectively have no barrier between them in games without sprint, games with sprint tend to have a more abrupt position-shoot-position-shoot cycle, and there are substantial implications regarding the flow of gunplay (especially the end of engagements).
"Run and gun" versus "run or gun."

It's not the same result at all.

Damn, as someone who does not mind sprint I can still say bravo sir. I was already aware of the points you stated but you put it into a perfect explanation for the people who don't get why people are up in arms about the inclusion of sprint.

Nirvana

This thread is getting crazy. I've seen love for Halo Reach, and now love for Halo 4. This is no the Gaf I know.

To be honest, I can still play Reach and 4's multiplayer and enjoy myself, but neither are competitive, which is why I went to Dota 2 for a long time. The MCC will at least give people a true, real-time comparison of the games so we can get a real answer as to whether people truly want the original gameplay, are blinded by nostalgia, or just can't handle change.

I for one am fairly certain that the MCC will see a resurgence in arena/Quake style multiplayer, and ranks will remind everyone how fun the competitive side of Halo was. Time will tell though (which is I think the point of the MCC really.)

I hate this shit.

What do the loyal digital buyers get? You know, the way MS wanted to run the system?

Oh, nothing since we can't preorder digitally? FUCK YOU.

In that regard I hate how a direct digital download is the same price or more expensive than a retail version. Digital downloads should be approx. 10-25% cheaper than the retail market selling prices (not RRP) IMO. No manufacturing/printing, no shipping, no distributor+retailer mark ups, no retailer return stock discounts, no breakage etc . The lack of a price difference disturbs me more than pre-order bonuses TBH.

Sibylus

Banned
This thread is getting crazy. I've seen love for Halo Reach, and now love for Halo 4. This is no the Gaf I know.

To be honest, I can still play Reach and 4's multiplayer and enjoy myself, but neither are competitive, which is why I went to Dota 2 for a long time. The MCC will at least give people a true, real-time comparison of the games so we can get a real answer as to whether people truly want the original gameplay, are blinded by nostalgia, or just can't handle change.

I for one am fairly certain that the MCC will see a resurgence in arena/Quake style multiplayer, and ranks will remind everyone how fun the competitive side of Halo was. Time will tell though (which is I think the point of the MCC really.)
Had a lot of fun with Reach, though it was never from the point of a nuanced competitive experience. Loading up on as many players and vehicles as possible, I was happy. Maps may not have been as timeless as some of my Halo favourites, but they delivered the fun all the same (Reach faves were Powerhouse, Spire, Hemorrhage (forge world), Paradiso (forge world)). One thing that can definitely be faulted with the game is that too much reliance was placed on areas doubling as campaign areas. Very shallow map pool. If you didn't have a clutch of favourites you could get used to playing a bunch, imagine it wasn't terrible enjoyable.

Nirvana

Had a lot of fun with Reach, though it was never from the point of a nuanced competitive experience. Loading up on as many players and vehicles as possible, I was happy. Maps may not have been as timeless as some of my Halo favourites, but they delivered the fun all the same (Reach faves were Powerhouse, Spire, Hemorrhage (forge world), Paradiso (forge world)). One thing that can definitely be faulted with the game is that too much reliance was placed on areas doubling as campaign areas. Very shallow map pool. If you didn't have a clutch of favourites you could get used to playing a bunch, imagine it wasn't terrible enjoyable.

Maps in Reach and Halo 4 were terrible overall. Powerhouse was a decent map, but I agree that pulling from campaign was a bad, bad move. It's why Spartan Ops got so boring so fast...also 'eggheads'.

I felt like the Invasion maps played really well though, and Invasion was basically all I played. It had BTB elements, team elements, defending and attacking were both fun, elites and spartans felt different and had different advantages, the gametype was well thought out and the final core run was always intense for both sides. Spire and Boneyard didn't translate well to other gametypes at all though, Spire especially was terrible, and in its entirety you could really see that it was just the skeleton of a campaign area you had been dumped in.

Sibylus

Banned
Naw, I loved Spire in a variety of modes (provided they encouraged the same verticality that Invasion did) :p One of the exceptions where I think the campaign/multiplayer dynamic actually worked out.

Agreed on Boneyard. Great on Invasion, eh otherwise.

pulling from campaign was a bad, bad move.

Spire especially was terrible, and in its entirety you could really see that it was just the skeleton of a campaign area you had been dumped in.

You got that backwards. They didn't pull Reach's maps from the campaign, but rather they worked them into the campaign.

Hatchtag

Banned
Ew at that Reach hate.
I hated how often Forge World maps came up, but I legitimately loved the following Reach maps: Boardwalk, Boneyard, Powerhouse, Reflection, Spire, and Swordbase. Its main problem, in terms of maps, was that none of the DLC maps were very good.

Sprint is for CoD and Titanfall. In Halo it kills any small symmetrical tournament style map. Makes everything have to be gigantic, double the size.

How can you complain about sprint and not ADS (and by that I mean a dedicated trigger for ADS, not normal scoping)? You need to get your priorities straight.

Just went back and watched forward unto dawn again! Man why can't we get a halo movie!!!??

no budget would be good enough. I just hope the Halo tv series is awesome. Don't fuck it up, Spielberg!

I feel like a lack of sprint keeps engagements and battles within a certain range. With sprint, I feel like it's frustrating.

It feels like sprint enables someone to escape a battle they're losing at the click of a button. And that's frustrating.

Remember when Modern Warfare 2 forced public chat in a lot of playlists? There was mega outrage to the point they had to reverse it. No one will try it ever again.

I feel like a lack of sprint keeps engagements and battles within a certain range. With sprint, I feel like it's frustrating.

It feels like sprint enables someone to escape a battle they're losing at the click of a button. And that's frustrating.

I don't feel it's any more of a problem than jumping to evade is.

Nirvana

You got that backwards. They didn't pull Reach's maps from the campaign, but rather they worked them into the campaign.

Either way, they were built with the intention of integration into Campaign, which caused problems in level design I feel.

Ew at that Reach hate.
I hated how often Forge World maps came up, but I legitimately loved the following Reach maps: Boardwalk, Boneyard, Powerhouse, Reflection, Spire, and Swordbase. Its main problem, in terms of maps, was that none of the DLC maps were very good.

If you had been anywhere Halo-related on the internet when the game came out you would have seen a lot of Reach hate. Powerhouse was decent, Reflection was just Ivory tower made shiny so I can't fault you on that and as I already said, Spire and Boneyard were good for Invasion, but didn't work in other gametypes. I didn't entirely hate the Reach maps, but none of them were particularly good. Sword base was terrible, nearly as bad as the Cage with its pandering to Jetpack gameplay (yuck) and Boardwalk had some of the worst line of sight issues of any Halo map. Not to mention one side of the map was never used because everyone just launched themselves towards the sniper rifle spawn every time.

Like I said, I could still have fun on Reach, but really only on Invasion. The BTB maps were all ruined by the DMR and boring forge maps. Hemorrhage was just plinking people from miles away and following the outside of the map, as was basically any large map and Vehicles could just be destroyed by said plinking - apart from the Banshee on Paridiso which was horrendous to deal with, especially in the map's first iteration.

Countdown was ok actually, one of the few maps that could be (and was) played competitively and worked well, and some of the MLG-designed maps worked well for competitive play also, but the fact that most of them were forged was pretty telling.

Madness

I'm so glad there is no sprint in Halo 2 Anniversary playlist. Now people will be able to remember how much fun "classic" Halo was.

ADS in Halo? Just no. Sprint in Halo, I know why so many love it and want it. But if negatively impacts map size, gun play, player encounters, spawn points, weapon control, not to mention makes vehicles like the Mongoose all but redundant.

In the end, a higher strafe speed and movement speed will be much better implemented than sprint. People need to seriously evaluate why they WANT/NEED sprint in Halo, and whether it's beneficial to them. Some people actually say they want Sprint because it makes Spartans seem more real if they can run. Either way, we'll see what they have planned for the H5 beta.

I don't feel it's any more of a problem than jumping to evade is.

I feel like jumping to evade still keeps engagements within that certain range that I mentioned previously, whereas, someone can be losing badly, then click their stick down, run, and drop down to a lower area for example, and escape. A maneuver that wouldn't have been possible if not for sprint. I felt like that happened a good deal when I would play games on Haven, in Halo 4.

TheOddOne

- Eurogamer: First playable games announced for EGX London
The organisers of EGX London 2014 have announced the first of many games that will be playable at the UK's biggest gaming in just a few months' time, including titles from Microsoft, EA, Activision and a host of indies.

Playable games confirmed so far, organised by developer/publisher:
Microsoft Studios - Fable Legends, Forza Horizon 2, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Project Spark, Sunset Overdrive

Halo 4 was one of the worst AAA games I've ever played, the story was god awful, with flat characters and a boring love story between the Chief and Cortana. I was a HUUUUGE halo fan but Halo 4 was terrible. Vehicles in MP either useless or too useful, the warthog was garbage yet the Gauss Hog was one a killing machine, the Ghost in Team Slayer was amazing in terms of DPS. Ordnance drops killed any left over map progression that Reach hadn't killed and the soundtrack was too forgettable. Spartan Ops first season was simply abmissal with recycled assets areas and boring objectives. If any game deserved to kill Halo like Halo 4 did, it was Halo 4. How such small design choices managed to destroy such a beloved game is bewildering. The scale was drawn back to hide the 'optimization' of the new engine, the game was smeared with gross Post Process effects to give it that next gen look.

Yep, this is a reasonable opinion. No hyperbolic statements whatsoever.

Halo 4 was my favorite Halo game. Actually it was the only one I played through. I never finished CE, 3 and Reach. I'd prefer Halo 5 to be more like Halo 4 than the Bungie games.

aries_71

I was never able to evade death while sprinting, and I don't remember enemies evading me either. Now, armour lock in Reach, that was really a huge goatfuck.

343 in regards to Halo 5

Damned if they do, Damned if they don't. I personally love sprint as a CE vet but all the other ideas such as AA, equipment I don't care if they go.

I was never able to evade death while sprinting, and I don't remember enemies evading me either. Now, armour lock in Reach, that was really a huge goatfuck.

I felt like I was able to do it often, and I feel like it was often done to me. It just felt like it delayed things, and made things frustrating to me.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Just remembered that one gaffer who posted a little before e3 regarding the collection. He said he had heard from someone that you'll be able to search for ctf and get options from each of the games.

I posted that it made no sense.

You were right. I was wrong.

No worries. Its understandable to not believe an internet poster. I was just trying to share what I was told. It was exciting to actually see it after hearing about it. I can't wait until they go into more detail about how the UI will function and matching will work. I am even more excited to have it in my hands in a few months. Can't wait.

JaggedSac

I hate this shit.

What do the loyal digital buyers get? You know, the way MS wanted to run the system?

Day One Sunset Overdrive digital purchases come with bonuses as well, so not outside the realm of reason to think they might do the same for Halo.

I hate this shit.

So angry. There is no reason to be upset, they're only skulls, not to mention they're only timed exclusives anyway. You and Karl need to hug it out if you're both that upset over this.

Preorder bonuses suck, sure.. but at least it's not significant content being locked out or armor that won't ever be unlocked for everyone like in Halo 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom